Start new topic
> Ripping a Disc Image onto Hard Drive
shibucambridge
post Jun 12 2011, 05:26 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,944,400

I created a Disk Image of a CD that i was having trouble ripping using Nero Kwik Media with Nero Express, and i was wondering if there was any way of getting the tracks on that *.nrg file onto my hard drive without having to burn it onto a blank CD, and then import the tracks to NKM or iTunes?

Thanks,
SC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Jun 12 2011, 04:07 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Not that I'm aware of.

If the CD was a Audio CD, open Burning Rom and select New. In the BR window, select Extras, Save Audio Tracks. That will save the tracks to your hard drive. I'm assuming the original CD is not protected.

This post has been edited by wither: Jun 12 2011, 04:08 PM

+Quote Post
shibucambridge
post Jun 12 2011, 07:25 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

@wither
yes i actually downloaded and tried that last night with Nero Burning ROM as well, and it did not work either, so i think i will just try to burn the Disc Image(s), and see if i can import them into NKM and iTunes

thanks,
SC

+Quote Post
wither
post Jun 12 2011, 08:48 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

What kind of problem did you get with Burning Rom?

What are you trying to do with the tracks? Most people use Nero SoundTrax to create audio projects.

+Quote Post
shibucambridge
post Jun 13 2011, 03:08 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

@wither
first of all, this is the Trial version of Burning ROM, i only bought Back it Up and Burn, so i don't have the version that comes with Nero MM Suite 10, nor do i have Sound Trax, and all i was trying to do was "rip" the audio tracks from the CD onto my hard drive which i cannot do with Nero Express which comes with B+B;

when i inserted the CD, it was able to interface with Gracenote, and retrieved all the metadata correctly, however when i pressed "copy", the app just stalled and i got an error message, something like "unknown error..process aborted", but since that had happened twice already when i tried to rip with iTunes and NKM respectively, i wasn't surprised, however i was able to make a Disc Image using Nero Express, which i did find surprising since i thought that ripping and copying were essentially
the same process, guess not?

i was also surprised that when you choose to rip CD's and select the output as Nero AAC format, it produces two types of files depending on which app you use:
a) Nero Kwik Media = Nero AAC files are *.m4a format (3 types of quality)
b) Nero Burning ROM = Nero AAC files are *.mp4 format (4 types of bit rates)

is it possible to get the Burning ROM app to produce files in *.m4a format as well preferably at bit rates higher than 320 kb/s? i have attached two screencaps to
illustrate the differences

Thanks,
SC
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
wither
post Jun 13 2011, 03:41 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

For audio files, mp4 and m4a are exactly the same format. .m4a is an Apple designation for .mp4 audio files so that programs like Windows Explorer can look up or index purely audio files. .mp4 is primarily a designation for the mpeg-4 container which can contain video and audio in various formats. In the absence of video, the .mp4 then designates the audio only.

What you see in Burning Rom for saving tracks is what you get.

I didn't check to see if SoundTrax or WaveEditor lets you save in .m4a.

This post has been edited by wither: Jun 13 2011, 03:54 AM

+Quote Post
shibucambridge
post Jun 13 2011, 01:27 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

@wither
thanks again, i think i will buy Nero MM Suite 10 when the trial period ends for Burning ROM and Vision Xtra, as i have discovered that Nero Express is a "barebones" app which is somewhat limited, and if i had some of these tools that you discussed earlier, it may make it a whole lot easier to manage my multimedia collection

btw i was able to successfully burn my disc image(s) onto CD's and then import the tunes back into NKM and iTunes, so i guess this whole exercise did accomplish
something after all, and wrt to the file types, i like to keep my audio and video files separated by file type as well, so it was more of a preference issue....
:)

cheers
SC

+Quote Post
wither
post Jun 13 2011, 04:09 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Actually, Express is a form of Burning Rom with a more simple interface.

Be sure to uninstall those apps before installing the Suite.

I checked in WaveEditor and it also saves with the .mp4 extension. I don't know if there is software that will save .mp4 as .m4a. You said KM saves as Nero ACC and implied the extension was .m4a. Is that true?

I'm glad you were able to accomplish what you wanted.

+Quote Post
shibucambridge
post Jun 13 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

@wither
agreed, Express has a simpler interface, but it does not have some of the most essential tools that makes Burning ROM such a great app, and like you mentioned earlier, the MM Suite either Standard or Platinum is probably the best bet, instead of buying each of the apps separately from a cost and functionality perspective..fyi here is the link to same

http://www.nero.com/enu/nero10-overview.html

yes, Nero KM saves audio files with the *.m4a extension if and only if you choose the Nero AAC output (the quality choice does not matter) in the NKM CD Ripping Options section, and i will reattach the earlier screencap as well as what the output files actually look like on my hard drive, and note that the bit rates vary by what
type of "quality" one choose for the output audio file

cheers
SC

This post has been edited by shibucambridge: Jun 13 2011, 05:10 PM
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post

Closed Topic