Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> play burnt dvd on dvd player
Billd59
post Apr 9 2011, 12:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,919,941

I am trying to make a DVD movie. I have It In the DVD format with the Audio and Video folders. I am try to brun a AVII so I converted the AVI with winAVI to DVD. I burnt It with Nero to a DVD -R DVD. What type of DVD works best In a DVD player -R or +R? Is there something I am doing wrong or does I mean the home DVD player to old?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ploughmanRet
post Apr 9 2011, 01:37 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,893,239

Billd59

I will probably be taken to task on this. I believe most DVD players can handle + or - R disc.

You say you burnt the DVD disc with Nero.

The thing is did you use the correct program/facilities to produce a DVD-VIDEO disc. (Not just treat the files as DATA but as Video files).

This post has been edited by ploughmanRet: Apr 9 2011, 01:39 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 9 2011, 04:17 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

BillD59 didn't actually state what the problem is.

I found that my DVD player requires one type of disk for DVD-Video. Otherwise it gives me an error.

If the player was built prior to approximately 2004, it would probably need the "-" type disc. After that, you could use a "+" disc but the type you need is in the documentation.

+Quote Post
ploughmanRet
post Apr 10 2011, 07:37 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,893,239

Billd59

Like wither I have checked my DVD player, January 2005, and the disc listed in the manual are DVD, DVD+R, DVD+RW...

What a DVD is I do not know, but I assume it means a DVD-VIDEO disc.

At present it has a DVD+RW installed and that seems to be functional. I have also tried a finalised DVD-RW disc, which the unit has indicated as being a DVD-VIDEO and this plays.

So as wither has stated the unit accepts both + & - disc, at least RW type.

wither

I appreciate that Billd59 did not state his problem, my assumption was based on the number of posts made and that a folder containing VIDEO information that using a BURNING routine would produce a VIDEO disc.

As you well know that a DATA disc of a VIDEO folder is not the same a disc BURNT with a VIDEO format routine. The contents appear to be the same but one functions in a STANDALONE DVD player but the other is questionable (Not Compatible).

This post has been edited by ploughmanRet: Apr 10 2011, 07:45 AM

+Quote Post
Billd59
post Apr 12 2011, 01:05 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,919,941

I am trying to play my DVD I brunt on a DVD player not on the computer. The DVD will not play at all. When I put the DVD In It just will not play at all. When I burn It from Nero I burn It as a video DVD and I use a DVD-R DVD. I burnt the DVD at the max speed. I read that It Is better to burn at a lower speed If you are going to play on a DVD player Is this right? If there Is anything else you need to know let me know? I just have trouble playing In a few dvd players. I am not a expert with Nero. I am a beginger with Nero. Do I have to set Nero up a differant way so I can play DVD In a player. I also have DVD shink to use.

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 12 2011, 04:33 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

If the Video CD you burned with Nero plays in ShowTime, then it was burned properly. If it plays on one standalone, then the problem lies with the other players. Note, that the burn speed is automatically determined when you burn with Nero but sometimes it's too fast and then you will get error messages.

I assume the video burned using your DVD player is in DVD-VR format. I don't know if a standalone player can play that kind of format. On my DVD player/recorder, I have the option to burn in DVD-VR or DVD-Video (which will play on almost every standalone player) but there are drawbacks to using one or the other if you want to be able to edit the DVD content.

This post has been edited by wither: Apr 12 2011, 04:34 PM

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Apr 13 2011, 10:59 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,466,818

Hi Billd59,

What you wrote makes me think that you can playback the DVD on some DVD players but on others not. As wither said, in this case the DVD has been burned correctly as long as the burn process has finished without any error messages and as long as the burned DVD can be played on a computer DVD drive. Problems that occur while playing the DVD on a standalone DVD player are likely caused by incompatible media.
here some tips:

1. Try a lower write speed. What you read is true. You might try burning at a lower speed.

2. Try another brand of recordable disc/brand.

3. Update the firmware of your disc burner. Please contact your disc burner manufacturer to get the latest firmware for your drive.
An old firmware can cause compatibility problems as well as burn failures.

@wither, as far as I understood he burned the disc with Nero Burning ROM -> Video DVD.

Best regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 13 2011, 04:47 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Infohelp- In a later post, he said- I am trying to play my DVD I brunt on a DVD player not on the computer. That goes back to the original post. However, we later got into the Nero questions because he did use Nero to burn a Video DVD. Just a clarification and you don't need to respond to it.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic