theoldwizard
post Apr 8 2011, 08:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,224,145

Nero 7
Window XP all latest patches
HP DV6700 laptop

When I insert a blank CD-R or DVD-R or DVD+R, the light on the CD/DVD writer blinks but nothing else happens.

Following advice I have obtained elsewhere, I removed Nero 7 and ran the uninstall/clean tool and rebooted.

I then installed Nero 7.0. After rebooting I installed 7.11.10.0c_all_update.

Still no joy. (The light on the CD/DVD writer blinks but nothing else happens as before.)

If I start SmartStart by clicking on it, everything works fine.

This post has been edited by theoldwizard: Apr 8 2011, 08:35 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Apr 8 2011, 09:39 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,466,818

Hallo theoldwizard,

This is a configuration that you need to do on your Windows system, independently from Nero. I have a Windows 7 system, and Windows 7 gives you the option under "Control Panel" > "Autoplay" to select what do you want to do when you insert an empty disc. Windows XP also offers the possibility to make the Autoplay settings. You need to make right click on the drive and select the Autoplay tab. You will also need to make sure that the Autoplay function is turned on. I suggest you to visit the Microsoft web page (http://support.microsoft.com) in this case. There are several articles on how to enable Autoplay in Windows XP.

Best regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post
theoldwizard
post Apr 9 2011, 06:44 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Infohelp @ Apr 8 2011, 09:39 AM) *
Windows XP also offers the possibility to make the Autoplay settings.

Window XP has no selection for what to do with blank CDs or DVDs.

+Quote Post
ploughmanRet
post Apr 9 2011, 11:35 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,893,239

theoldwizard

As far I can remember the only Nero program that prompted the USER for a response was 'INCD' which is an optional routine for Nero 7 installation.

I am not sure when, it was just before or possibly after the release of Nero 9 that this routine became a STANDALONE/FREE program

I am curious to know as to why you wish to 'AUTO-PLAY' a blank disc

As Infohelp has indicated the is a facility to 'AUTO-PLAY' a disc when it is inserted, this facility can be found when the 'Properties' for the drive is selected and it depends on the type of files stored on the disc.

Thus if there are no FILES then I would expect there would be no function.

Also the light on the drive flickers when the drive is being addressed and putting a BLANK disc in the drive the OS will try to decided what to do with the files. So once again 'NO FILES' the OS just obtains the disc information.

I hope you agree with this assumption, if not please enlighten the FORUM as to your intension's

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 9 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

It could be that autoplay is not turned on. Check this article for how to turn it on.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135

+Quote Post
ploughmanRet
post Apr 10 2011, 06:49 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wither @ Apr 9 2011, 04:52 PM) *
It could be that autoplay is not turned on. Check this article for how to turn it on.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135

wither

Thanks for the link but I am sure that this is not the answer. The opening comment was a BLANK disc and the drive not doing what is wanted.

Infohelp suggested changing the option. to which theoldwizard replied that there was not option in XP for the action required.

Thus, in my opinion, it appear that the system functions satisfactory with disc which contains DATA/INFORMATION but does NOT offer the facility that is required. SO WHAT IS THE REQUIREMENT?

wither

Do you agree with my outline of NO information on the disc, thus what is the OS to do without information,

Putting a BLANK CD in my functional DVD drive does not open the disc but the OS 'My Computer' indicates 702 MB FREE and Unused space

+Quote Post
theoldwizard
post Apr 10 2011, 07:29 AM
Post #7

If I was not clear, when I insert a blank CD-R or DVD-R or DVD+R I expect Nero SmartStart to pop up, JUST LIKE IT DOES ON MY OTHER COMPUTER with NERO 7 !!!

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 10 2011, 04:13 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

You were perfectly clear.

If you go to the Control Panel in Win 7, you can select Autoplay and define what should happen when you insert a blank CD or DVD. Apparently these options are set to use StartSmart.

We were trying to have you do the same thing in XP. However, you said XP did not have Autoplay so I provided a link which tells you how to activate it. Give it a try.

+Quote Post
ploughmanRet
post Apr 11 2011, 12:02 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wither @ Apr 10 2011, 04:13 PM) *
You were perfectly clear.

If you go to the Control Panel in Win 7, you can select Autoplay and define what should happen when you insert a blank CD or DVD. Apparently these options are set to use StartSmart.

We were trying to have you do the same thing in XP. However, you said XP did not have Autoplay so I provided a link which tells you how to activate it. Give it a try.

wither

Extract from opening comment

'Nero 7
HP DV6700 laptop'

Also I believe it has been quoted a number of times that Nero 7 is not supported or compatible with Windows 7

theoldwizard

Please advise me if you have tried 'Rt Clk' on drive as per image and if you get the drop-down menu as shown.

Although I am not using Nero 7 on this PC, I have tried this on my archive PC and it shows the same options.

So unless there is an option within Nero 7 StartSmart', which does not appears so as nether wither nor Infohelp seem to be aware, it must be some setting on your other PC which prompt this action.

This post has been edited by ploughmanRet: Apr 11 2011, 12:12 AM
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
DeejaySpinn
post Apr 11 2011, 12:24 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,920,340

I'm on Windows 7, but when I used Windows XP, there was an update (that you'll have to have to do the research for). It was to correct the "Auto Play" feature that sometimes prevent those certain default programs from "Auto Playing." At that time, when I installed it, everything was solved. I went back and selected for the Nero Start Smart to Automatically start, and from that point on it did, and I had no more "Auto Play" troubles. Everytime I inserted a disc, it would show up.

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 11 2011, 03:07 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

'Nero 7
HP DV6700 laptop'

Also I believe it has been quoted a number of times that Nero 7 is not supported or compatible with Windows 7

ploughmanRet- how do you get Windows 7 out of that?

+Quote Post
ploughmanRet
post Apr 11 2011, 08:11 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wither @ Apr 11 2011, 03:07 AM) *
'Nero 7
HP DV6700 laptop'

ploughmanRet- how do you get Windows 7 out of that?

wither

Is this a WINDUP. Your link referred to CD_ROM inserttion not a BLANK disc and your comment timed Yesterday, 04:13 PM does introduce Win 7

WHAT ARE TALKING ABOUT. Just read the THREAD.

This post has been edited by ploughmanRet: Apr 11 2011, 08:43 AM

+Quote Post
ploughmanRet
post Apr 11 2011, 08:13 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DeejaySpinn @ Apr 11 2011, 12:24 AM) *
I'm on Windows 7, but when I used Windows XP, there was an update (that you'll have to have to do the research for). It was to correct the "Auto Play" feature that sometimes prevent those certain default programs from "Auto Playing." At that time, when I installed it, everything was solved. I went back and selected for the Nero Start Smart to Automatically start, and from that point on it did, and I had no more "Auto Play" troubles. Everytime I inserted a disc, it would show up.

DeejaySpinn

Was it a Nero or a Windows update that had to be installed.

This post has been edited by ploughmanRet: Apr 12 2011, 01:06 AM

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 11 2011, 03:26 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

I think I was referring to DeeJayspinn in regards to Autoplay. If not, sorry for the confusion.

Method 2 in the link I provided tells you how to turn on Autoplay in XP. Once it's turned on, reboot and Autoplay should show up in Control Panel. You would open it and make the setting for the blank CD.

This is what it looks like in Vista- One of the options is to Create your own disc with StartSmart. On my system, there is option to set StartSmart as the default for a DVD.

This post has been edited by wither: Apr 11 2011, 03:34 PM
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ploughmanRet
post Apr 12 2011, 01:18 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

wither

That is all very well for Vista.

Opening Control Panel on my XP does not show 'Autoplay' listed and as I have not followed your recommendation for visiting the Microsoft site and then follow the information there.

I am curious to know why when selecting the CD drive and checking the 'Properties' I get the option to determine what happens when a disc is inserted, see my response Posted Yesterday, 12:02 AM.

There does not appear to an action for a BLANK Disc

This post has been edited by ploughmanRet: Apr 12 2011, 03:57 AM

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 12 2011, 02:22 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

From your screenshot, you have the Autoplay option so apparently it's activated.

I've never had XP so I don't know whether Autoplay, if active, will appear in the control panel. I'll just go with your screenshot and say it won't.

If I remember correctly, Win 98 had it in the Control Panel. I'm thinking that because I was upset with Microsoft because they changed it so that you can't set the Autoplay options for an individual drive in Vista. Whatever you apply in the Control Panel, applies to all your drives. You could set them separately in Win 98.

I'm pretty much done with this thread. Nothing more I can add.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic