Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Nero Clean Tool
dani72
post Oct 13 2008, 02:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,191,431

For any of you that dont know (which probably isnt many), Nero Clean Tool is shite. After my failed attempt to install Nero 9 I ran the clean tool as recommended. When I ran my registry editor program (Registry First Aid Editor) it showed up over 70 invalid registry paths and over 120 invalid file extensions, which Nero left behind. If you have been uninstalling and reinstalling Nero recently and dont already have one I would suggest getting a decent registry repair program such as the one I use or PC Tools Registry Mechanic which I have also heard good things about. Im sure there are lots of other useful programs out there as well but those are the two that I mainly know of.

As per usual Ahead are making a mess of things. Removing all references to Nero in the registry was supposed to be one of the functions of the clean tool. The fact that it doesnt work is no surprise though.

This post has been edited by dani72: Oct 13 2008, 02:47 PM
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lamanogaucha
post Oct 13 2008, 04:28 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,162,913

I agree completely. That is the reason why I have had to redo my system several times this week while trying to update Nero 8. When one runs Nero Clean, it leaves plenty of debris behind (including items in hidden folders) and screws up your registry. This tool simply does not work as advertised, and as usual, Nero does not give a hoot.

+Quote Post
diamondsp
post Oct 16 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,306,029

I've been struggling to rid my system of Nero. What is the best way to go about it (haven't done anything as yet cos I was paranoid about downloading the clean tool in case it was bug-ridden)? I'm a relative novice so layman's terms would be good

+Quote Post
Brawly44
post Oct 17 2008, 03:19 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,791,259

Hello All. Uninstalling Nero can be a daunting task, but it can be done without injury to your operating system. diamondsp, if you could include which operating system you have; is it "WinXP" or "Vista" . This would better allow me to be of some help. Anyway here is what I do in Vista if you want a "clean" uninstallation. This process is lengthy and requires some patience, but it will pay off. The instruction is for Vista 32 or 64 bit systems.

Go to the search window located at the bottom of the "Program Launcher" in Vista by pressing the "Start" button. Type in "msconfig", press enter. This will open the "system configuration utility". Navigate to the "services" tab and check the box at the bottom that says "hide all Microsoft services". Next move to the radio button that says "Disable All". Then navigate to the "Start up" tab - click the tab, and again select the radio button marked "disable all", select "OK" at the bottom of the window and when prompted to reboot - reboot your system. The purpose of this is to shut down all running and startup programs excluding critical Microsoft components needed to run your operating system. This process is helpful in preventing application corruption when removing such a large program.

After rebooting; again go to the search window located at the bottom of the "Launcher" in Vista. In the search bar type "Programs and Features", then launch the panel. You will see a listing of all installed applications in your computer. Find the "Nero" installation and select to uninstall (located at the top of the panel). Vista will now go through the process of uninstalling Nero - you will find (if you are uninstalling Nero 9) that this is as lengthy a process as installing the software. After the uninstall is complete, reboot your system.

After reboot, from your desktop again go to the search window located at the bottom of the "Launcher" and type "Nero", this initiates a surface search of your system and will populate the above window with Nero entries -THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT. Instead just above the search window you will note a selection marked "search everywhere", click there. This will launch a secondary window (Vista Explorer Window), expand this window if it is not when it launches. On the left side of the panel you will see a selection marked "advanced search", click there. Now the top of the window will expand with several selections. At the top will be a drop down marked "Locations", click this and select "all locations" (this will contain all of the hard drives on your system), next at the top on the far left check the box marked "Include non-indexed, hidden and system files". Once you have checked this box, you will notice a green progress bar run across the top of the window. Vista is now searching every hard drive and file for anything related to Nero.

Wait until Explorer has finished searching and you will note that the page has become populated with everything in your system Nero related. NOW BEFORE YOU BEGIN DELETING, I highly recommend that you have a good, solid Registry Cleaner installed in your system. Regardless of how you uninstall any application you will leave application residue, a registry cleaner is excellent for removing this "junk" from your system after deleting multiple files. Also, I have tried to describe this in the most simplistic way that I can, If you feel uncomfortable attempting this or become anxious or nervous - go with your gut and leave things alone! This is purely a manual method of removing any application from your operating system, not just Nero. But I have found it to be the most thorough.

That said: your ready to remove the program. Take a moment to go through the various entries, if you see an entry your not quite sure of - leave it alone. Now go through each entry one by one, highlight the entry you wish to remove, right click on your mouse - select delete and remove the files. Do this for every file associated with the program you want to remove.

When you have finished deleting the files, close out the Explorer window and reboot your system. When you have arrived at your desktop again, this is where a good registry cleaner is invaluable. If you have a cleaner (I use CleanMyPC registry cleaner) this is when you would run it to remove any plaque or traces of deleted programs. You have just removed all traces of Nero files and folders in your operating system. Reboot your system. Now as described at the beginning of this instruction, again go to start and open the program launcher. In the search window type "msconfig" and this will launch the utility once again (you are now going to activate your startup programs again). You will note that you are already on the "General Tab", beneath it you will note a heading marked "Start up selection". Select the button marked "Normal Startup", select "OK" and reboot your system when prompted. Once back at your desktop your system should perform normally, only without Nero.

I hope this helps those of you who are having difficulty removing Nero, I have found this process - although time consuming - very helpful versus using some utilities. I have experienced in the past that some uninstaller utilities can delete other files that are in association with Nero (for example) causing damage to other applications, this manual method is more like using a scalpel to be more precise with removal. There is also a method of removing junk leftover from application uninstalls in the registry - for the novice I would not attempt changing the registry. But if junk registry keys are playing havok with your system, and if anyone is interested I will post instructions for removing junk registry keys as well. Again, I hope this helps.

This post has been edited by Brawly44: Oct 17 2008, 03:20 AM

+Quote Post
southbusiness
post Oct 17 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,179,223

I had similar problems in running the "Nero Clean Tool" but managed after some time aside (that is prior to wanting to throw the laptop out - yep, that's the level of frustration this crappy piece of software inclusive of Nero 9 has driven me to) to launch in "Safe Mode" and after wading throught the numerous failed to launch this that and the other dll file - I got "Nero Clean Tool" to run and remove the failed installation of Nero 9 (9.0.9.4c).

For the price these guys charge, this is truly hisheartening and disappointing from a company that stayed on top of software issues. If anyone has any other suggestions to get this software up and going, please let me know!

+Quote Post
AlanVondor
post Oct 17 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 7,686,894

I can't even run the clean tool, it crashes on me.

What's really sad is that Nero has to create a separate tool because the uninstaller can't seam to do the job.

JefferyS

+Quote Post
loekf
post Oct 18 2008, 12:03 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,179,230

QUOTE (' date='Oct 17 2008, 10:20 PM) *

What's really sad is that Nero has to create a separate tool because the uninstaller can't seam to do the job.

JefferyS

Funny thing is most of the programs seem to work after you pressed cancel on every Windows installer warning.
Except for the wave editor, it crashes immediately.

I tried to install without Live, but that doesn't help much.

And of course during the uninstall process same problems.

As all these things look very obvious, either:

A) Nero is stuck with totally incompetent software engineers, who don't have a clue what they are doing.

B) Nero is basically a bunch of people running an office on the Cayman Islands, who fooled us all by rebranding Nero 8 as Nero 9 and removed some apps.

C) Nero fired all their quality and testing people to save costs and increase revenue.

D) Nero 9 is in fact a beta for Nero 11.

+Quote Post
southbusiness
post Oct 18 2008, 03:44 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,179,223

QUOTE (' date='Oct 17 2008, 10:20 PM) *

JefferyS

------------

I had the same problem and then after much pain and time, managed to reboot my system to "Safe Mode" from where I ran the Nero Clean Tool and it uninstalled this piece of crap! Move onto greener pastures as Nero is no longer what it used to be, that is dependable and reliable.

Good luck

+Quote Post
diamondsp
post Oct 19 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #9

Hi Brawly,

I am running Windows XP - if you had a similarly helpful answer as to how to remove Nero under XP that would be excellent!

Also a bit of a stupid question here probably - what are the rammifications of just dropping the whole 'Nero' folder from my programme files into the recycle bin and deleting that way? A bad idea I presume but I really want rid of it

+Quote Post
diamondsp
post Oct 21 2008, 11:51 PM
Post #10

Please??? I'm getting desperate here!

+Quote Post
pooky68
post Nov 25 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,194,842

Ive been having the same problems, I upgraded from NERO 8 to 9c and ive had codec trouble ever since and it stole all file association.

I tried the clean tool9 and it seemed crap, didnt work properly.

I tried to upgrade to 9d and still was having problems. in the end I tool it off completley.

I decided to have one final try...

I booted up in SAFE MODE and ran the NERO9 AND NERO8 Clean Tool. IT WORKED!

I then tried to install, still in safe mode but it wouldnt work (I was having problems with Spyware Terminator too, so I uninstalled that too) I had to reboot in normal mode.

I tried to install NERO 9d, it worked. but now I have to reinstall it because it stole all file associations.

Hope this helps

Pete

+Quote Post

Closed Topic