Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Burning from DVD to DVD - Nero 9
NCISfan
post Feb 16 2011, 12:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,898,027

I have successfully transferred the entire contents of a DVD to a blank DVD via the "Copy" function, but when I've tried to copy some files from two discs onto a blank one, I've ended up transferring the entire contents of disc 1 onto the blank one.

How can I transfer a fraction of the contents of one or more discs onto a Blank disc (without copying the entire contents of one disc. I could have sworn I'd copied the correct files, but for some reason, partial contents of two discs ended up being the entire contents of disc 1, and as the three main components VOB, ISO and VIDEO_TS were in one disc's file, I had to reject the same components in the second disc, as otherwise it would have overwritten them, even though they have a different amount of KBs)?,

How do I ensure that, anything I transfer from one disc to another, is copied in chronological Date order?, and

Do I need to uninstall then reinstall Nero to remove Nero's anonymous non-identifying data information option?

I ticked it, because I thought it would be useful, but it delays access to certain functions.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 16 2011, 03:41 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Oh no! Not another NCIS freak. :) My wife watches it religiously at all hours of the afternoon and night.

I'm assuming that you're looking at each disc while using the Express Add button and then selecting what you want. I'm also guessing that when you select the VOB_TS file, you're getting the entire contents of the disc because that's what the disc is, a DVD-Video. Or is it a data disc?

I think you're best bet is to use Make DVD\DVD Video in Vision (assuming the video resolution is no higher than 720x..) and import each disc and edit out what you don't need and then burn it to DVD.

Just an idea.

+Quote Post
DaisyDuckGAF
post Feb 16 2011, 01:31 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,751,402

Hi NCISfan,

it does sound like you're using DVD-Videos you want to copy content from?
It would be good to know how you want to proceed exactly, what kind of discs you wish to import content from and what kind of disc you wish to create (e.g. data disc, DVD-Video, etc.).

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Daisy

+Quote Post
NCISfan
post Feb 19 2011, 10:31 AM
Post #4

Sorry for the delay in replying to you and Daisy. I'd thought I had an e-mail notification activated but found it is Listed as activated in my Profile, but actually isn't activating for some reason.

I love NCIS. :)

On reflection, I should have called myself "NCISabbyfan". I don't know if it's possible to change Screen Names or not, but not to worry if this isn't possible. I love all the NCIS characters but my top favourite is Abby Sciuto. She puts Goths in a good light and her perkiness and humour make her such a fun character to watch.

In Nero StartSmart, so far I've just used Nero to copy DVD recordings via Nero Express using the "DVD-Video" option.

I tried to do two sets of recordings.

The first was successful - A straight transfer from a DVD - RW to a DVD - R of the entire contents.
For this, I clicked on "Copy Disc". The Source and Destination drives were correct, I then clicked on "Copy".

My second was successful and unsuccessful - Successful in that a recording worked, but for some reason it copied the entire contents of Disc 1, instead of some contents from Disc 1 and Disc 2.
In "Rip and Burn", I clicked on "Burn Video Disc" then "DVD-Video Files", which Nero has automatically switched to Nero Express (in Nero 9 there is the option to add specific programs, of which I so far have installed). Generally, I play DVD files through Windows Media Player, which is the default setting on my computer with Windows Vista, but for recording specific files, I did the following:

Computer - Right clicked on "Explore" then double clicked on "VIDEO_TS".

There are several BUP, IFO and VOB files, and out of those, some display images from the recordings, which are VOB files, although there are other VOB files which display a yellow Disc logo with a blue and white Play button arrow.

During the pre-recording process, I got error messages saying that certain files were missing, which I presume means that I didn't click on them after clicking on "Add" and searching through my computer's directory of DVD files.

I then added I think both BUP and IFO files, but still got the same error messages. As nothing was recorded, the blank disc was still unused, it's just that the wrong contents got recorded onto the second one, eg some correct recordings but others that I hadn't specifically wanted to add and everything missed totally from Disc 2.

Upon clicking on "Add", all the VIDEO_TS files

I've just clicked on a "VOB" file, that annoying "Usage info" thing appears which prevents instant access to what I wish to do then "Nero ShowTime" appears prompting me to Activate it over the Internet or Send an activation fax, even though I'd activated it before.

Also, what is the difference between "Video CD" and "DVD-Video Files"?

I've so far opted for "DVD-Video Files", which I used to successfully copy two discs, the first a straight transfer of all contents and the second an accidental straight transfer of all contents from disc 1, instead of disc 1 and 2.

In case I make a further mistake, I'd probably be best experimenting with DVD - RW to DVD - RW so I can erase the recordings on the copied disc if they're the wrong items.

I have just loaded up Nero Vision, which I'd not used before, and see there are two sub options:
"DVD-Video" and "Editable DVD" - In the latter, it displays both of my DVD drives, one is Playback only (Drive D), the other Record and Playback (Drive E)

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe there is an option to copy DVDs onto more than one disc, or if I decided to do this another time, I could save the DVD contents then reload it from my hard drive or a computer disc to recopy from the original discs.

How do I determine how high the video resolution is?, and

Does Nero have a facility to enhance picture and sound quality (the equivalent of enhancing photos, eg removing Red Eye, brightening photos that are too dark, etc)?

Either Nero or another program must be what restores use who are in receipt of recovered replacement of wiped television and radio broadcasts who then enhance the quality to its optimum.

For example, if I am playing a 1980s video tape on a modern video recorder, the picture quality is slightly degraded due to the variations between the original video recorder I recorded the tapes on and the modern machine, and in some cases, thankfully not many, I've come across slight picture jumping and sound drop outs. If it's too complicated or not possible to make picture and sound adjustments to any recordings that have defects, not to worry, but I thought it was worthwhile asking, as I want to make the most out of using Nero, which has so many excellent options, including I believe also a section for viewing Photos. :)

QUOTE (wither @ Feb 16 2011, 03:41 AM) *
Oh no! Not another NCIS freak. :) My wife watches it religiously at all hours of the afternoon and night.

I'm assuming that you're looking at each disc while using the Express Add button and then selecting what you want. I'm also guessing that when you select the VOB_TS file, you're getting the entire contents of the disc because that's what the disc is, a DVD-Video. Or is it a data disc?

I think you're best bet is to use Make DVD\DVD Video in Vision (assuming the video resolution is no higher than 720x..) and import each disc and edit out what you don't need and then burn it to DVD.

Just an idea.

This post has been edited by NCISfan: Feb 19 2011, 11:45 AM

+Quote Post
NCISfan
post Feb 19 2011, 10:40 AM
Post #5

Hi Daisy

QUOTE (DaisyDuckGAF @ Feb 16 2011, 01:31 PM) *
Hi NCISfan,

it does sound like you're using DVD-Videos you want to copy content from?

Yes. As I don't have a Super Video recorder, and I wasn't sure which other option to choose, I opted for "DVD-Video" but Nero Vision sounds more suitable for recording individual selections from each disc where I don't wish to copy the entire set of recordings from one disc, so that I can record a fraction of recordings from one or more discs.

In addition to my previous, first reply, I wish to import recordings from DVD - RWs to DVD - Rs (but would prefer to use DVD - RWs to record on when testing, so I can erase them and not waste up to several DVD - R discs if I make a mistake), which have been successful in all cases, other than recording the wrong contents onto one disc, instead of some contents from two discs.

For my DVD recordings, I wish to use "DVD-Video" or "Video CD" in Nero Express, or Nero Vision, depending on which option is relevant to my requirements, eg copying the entire contents from one disc to another or only certain contents per disc to another disc.

How do I ensure that, anything I transfer from one disc to another, is copied in chronological Date order?

David

This post has been edited by NCISfan: Feb 19 2011, 11:37 AM

+Quote Post
DaisyDuckGAF
post Feb 19 2011, 01:46 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Hi David,

I think you're trying to do a lot of things at once which in fact are several operations, so let me talk you through it:

First off, when using the "Copy" option it will always create a copy of the complete disc, not just parts of it so that's why this didn't work.
In order to create a disc of some parts of several discs you indeed would have to import (and mabye even cut) the parts you wish to have on the new disc.

Further, regarding the chronological order - what kind of DVD-Videos are we talking about? DVD-Videos you recorded yourself? Are these TV show episodes (e.g. oh let me guess, NCIS?! ;) ) or movies? How were the discs created?
I am asking all of this because I am wondering which chronological order you want to for the order on the new discs.

Since apparently you do not want to copy entire discs but rather take some parts of disc 1, some of disc 2 and so on you should really consider using Nero Vision for the operation.

Choosing "Make DVD" > "DVD-Video" should be a good start, then use the "Import" button to get to the material on the disc.
Once all files have been added you can switch their order in the "Content" screen of Nero Vision.

I hope I could shed some light!

Best of luck!

Daisy

+Quote Post
NCISfan
post Feb 25 2011, 12:02 PM
Post #7

Hi Daisy

Thanks for your tips.

As I'm new to using Nero 9, I started off with the "Copy" option, which was fine for a straight transfer of all contents from the original DVD to a blank DVD.

However, when I tried to copy certain sections from different discs (by copying and pasting individual files, eg VOB, ISO, etc), only the entire contents of disk 1 were copied.

As you've both recommended Nero Vision, this must be the option I require for copying a fraction of recordings per disc.

After I enquired about the chronological order, I discovered that I'd had the settings information switched to the wrong DVD drive, so it confused the program! :lol:, but when I discovered what had happened, I then made a copy, albeit the whole of one disc by mistake, but with the DVD drives correctly displayed (one Playback/one Recorder).

If I am duplicating recordings, I prefer to have the dates in chronological order, as it's easier to track them in date order. :)

I was making a duplicate of a DVD-Video a friend had supplied me of some editions of the long-running music television chart show Top of the Pops.

The disc recordings were created via Roxio, but I duplicated a copy via Nero.

It looks like importing individual DVD recordings is a lot easier than I first thought, as previously I was faced with countless VOB, ISO and VIDEO_TS files, I copied and pasted them after clicking on "Add" in Nero Express, choosing what I thought were the right files (several displaying pictures of the programme), but ended up with the entire contents of one disc, instead of parts of that disc and parts of another, but you've both been very helpful with your advice and I'll keep a note for future reference. :)

If I've understood correctly, I don't need to search for specific files, but I'll do tests with rewritable discs.

QUOTE (DaisyDuckGAF @ Feb 19 2011, 01:46 PM) *
<br />Hi David,<br /><br />I think you're trying to do a lot of things at once which in fact are several operations, so let me talk you through it:<br /><br />First off, when using the &quot;Copy&quot; option it will always create a copy of the complete disc, not just parts of it so that's why this didn't work.<br />In order to create a disc of some parts of several discs you indeed would have to import (and mabye even cut) the parts you wish to have on the new disc.<br /><br />Further, regarding the chronological order - what kind of DVD-Videos are we talking about? DVD-Videos you recorded yourself? Are these TV show episodes (e.g. oh let me guess, NCIS?! ;) ) or movies? How were the discs created? <br />I am asking all of this because I am wondering which chronological order you want to for the order on the new discs.<br /><br />Since apparently you do not want to copy entire discs but rather take some parts of disc 1, some of disc 2 and so on you should really consider using Nero Vision for the operation.<br /><br />Choosing &quot;Make DVD&quot; &gt; &quot;DVD-Video&quot; should be a good start, then use the &quot;Import&quot; button to get to the material on the disc.<br />Once all files have been added you can switch their order in the &quot;Content&quot; screen of Nero Vision.<br /><br />I hope I could shed some light! <br /><br /><br />Best of luck!<br /><br />Daisy<br /><br /> <br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

+Quote Post
NCISfan
post Feb 25 2011, 12:02 PM
Post #8

Is there an option to receive automated e-mail notifications?

Whereabouts in Nero 9 can I cancel the "Usage Info" option?

What is the difference between "Video CD" and "DVD-Video Files"?

(I used the "DVD-Video" option before)

In Nero Vision, I see there are two sub options:
"DVD-Video" and "Editable DVD" - In the latter, it displays both of my DVD drives, one is Playback only (Drive D), the other Record and Playback (Drive E)

How do I determine how high the video resolution is?, and

Does Nero have a facility to enhance picture and sound quality (the equivalent of enhancing photos, eg removing Red Eye, brightening photos that are too dark, etc)?

Either Nero or another program must be what restorers use who are in receipt of recovered replacement of wiped television and radio broadcasts who then enhance the quality to its optimum.

I am one of several people who is very keen for missing footage to be returned, wherever possible, of Top of the Pops and any missing programmes. Not all uploaded 'private' footage is of clear quality, so even with Enhancement software, little or nothing could be done to considerably improve the pictures and/or sound of those recordings, but still of interest :), while a number of others are close to broadcast quality, which would be spot on with minor restoration.

For example, if I am playing a 1980s video tape on a modern video recorder, the picture quality is slightly degraded due to the variations between the original video recorder I recorded the tapes on and the modern machine, and in some cases, thankfully not many, I've come across slight picture jumping and sound drop outs. If it's too complicated or not possible to make picture and sound adjustments to any recordings that have defects, not to worry, but I thought it was worthwhile asking, as I want to make the most out of using Nero, which has so many excellent options, including I believe also a section for viewing Photos. :)

QUOTE (DaisyDuckGAF @ Feb 19 2011, 01:46 PM) *
Hi David,

I think you're trying to do a lot of things at once which in fact are several operations, so let me talk you through it:

First off, when using the "Copy" option it will always create a copy of the complete disc, not just parts of it so that's why this didn't work.
In order to create a disc of some parts of several discs you indeed would have to import (and mabye even cut) the parts you wish to have on the new disc.

Further, regarding the chronological order - what kind of DVD-Videos are we talking about? DVD-Videos you recorded yourself? Are these TV show episodes (e.g. oh let me guess, NCIS?! ;) ) or movies? How were the discs created?
I am asking all of this because I am wondering which chronological order you want to for the order on the new discs.

Since apparently you do not want to copy entire discs but rather take some parts of disc 1, some of disc 2 and so on you should really consider using Nero Vision for the operation.

Choosing "Make DVD" > "DVD-Video" should be a good start, then use the "Import" button to get to the material on the disc.
Once all files have been added you can switch their order in the "Content" screen of Nero Vision.

I hope I could shed some light!

Best of luck!

Daisy

This post has been edited by NCISfan: Feb 25 2011, 12:08 PM

+Quote Post
DaisyDuckGAF
post Feb 25 2011, 02:09 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Hi David,

no unfortunately, the forum does not have automated e-mail notifications, sorry about that!
Which "Usage Info" option are you referring to? Can you post a screenshot?

Where do you see the options VideoCD and DVD-Video Files? In general a VideoCD can be played in a DVD player just as a DVD-Video, but since there is a lot less space on a CD than there is on a DVD so you can guess that the quality of a video won't be as good as on a DVD (it all depends on the original video material of course).

An editable DVD can be changed later, you can do that but it might not have the same compatibility e.g. with DVD players and so on as a standard "DVD-Video".

You can change the resolutin by clicking "More", then click "Video Options". Open the tab "DVD-Video". You can change the quality settings here.

There are many filters within Nero Vision you can use on the video material, you will find them all when you enter the "Edit" screen within Nero Vision.
Some of them might help enhance the video. There is no general way to increase the quality of a picture, but especially when you put several videos of different qualities together it might be advisable to export them as a new video file (maybe use High-Quality (2-Pass) Encoding for that) to assimilate the different video qualities.

Sure, you're absolutely right, you should take full advantage of all of Nero's options!

Best regards

Daisy

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 25 2011, 05:50 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Abby is my favorite also. My kind of girl.

Just to clarify things for you-

If you want to enhance your videos, you can add Effects in the Vision editing screen. There are such things as Sharpen and Blur effects, etc. Take a look at them. I think this is what DaisyduckGAF is referring to when discussing filters.

There is no way to correct things like red eye in video. Those kind of corrections can be done in Nero MediaHub for photos. You can take a snapshot of a frame in Vision and edit it in NMHub but I'm not sure how you would apply that to all frames that you want to correct.

To enhance the audio, you would use Export\Export audio to File. You can then edit that file in WaveEditor and then import it back into Vision.

+Quote Post
NCISfan
post Mar 7 2011, 03:28 PM
Post #11

Hi Daisy

QUOTE (DaisyDuckGAF @ Feb 25 2011, 02:09 PM) *
no unfortunately, the forum does not have automated e-mail notifications, sorry about that!

They're a useful idea but not essential. :-| I just keep a note of the link to my thread and check it when time permits.

Which "Usage Info" option are you referring to? Can you post a screenshot?

"Sending application usage information please wait";
"Sending of application usage information failed, please check your Internet or firewall settings and try again"
I clicked on "Disable", thinking this was the answer but it hasn't cleared the Usage Information pop-up windows.
As requested, I have attached two screenshots.

Where do you see the options VideoCD and DVD-Video Files?

In Nero Express under the "Videos/Pictures" section where you'll find "Video CD", "Super Video CD" and "DVD-Video Files".

In general a VideoCD can be played in a DVD player just as a DVD-Video, but since there is a lot less space on a CD than there is on a DVD so you can guess that the quality of a video won't be as good as on a DVD (it all depends on the original video material of course).

To play safe, until I get more used to the Nero software program, I think I'd be best sticking with the DVD Video option for optimum quality. I got two recordings through this option, one admittedly the wrong contents, but the quality was excellent on both blank DVDs. :)

An editable DVD can be changed later, you can do that but it might not have the same compatibility e.g. with DVD players and so on as a standard "DVD-Video".

If I've understood you correctly, you're saying that I can edit a DVD, but the DVD Video option would be best.

You can change the resolutin by clicking "More", then click "Video Options". Open the tab "DVD-Video". You can change the quality settings here.

Like your other tips, thanks also for this. :) It's good these options overlap into both Nero Express and Nero Vision.

There are many filters within Nero Vision you can use on the video material, you will find them all when you enter the "Edit" screen within Nero Vision.

Is this in the "What would you like to do?" section?

Some of them might help enhance the video. There is no general way to increase the quality of a picture, but especially when you put several videos of different qualities together it might be advisable to export them as a new video file (maybe use High-Quality (2-Pass) Encoding for that) to assimilate the different video qualities.

I'll put these into practice with DVD - RW disks while I get used to how these functions work. This will save wasting DVD - R disks if I make any mistakes.

Sure, you're absolutely right, you should take full advantage of all of Nero's options!

Will do. :)

This post has been edited by NCISfan: Mar 7 2011, 03:31 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Nero___Sending_of_application_usage_information_failed.doc ( 177.5K ) Number of downloads: 213
Attached File  Nero___Sending_application_usage_information.doc ( 167.5K ) Number of downloads: 215

+Quote Post
NCISfan
post Mar 7 2011, 03:40 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (wither @ Feb 25 2011, 05:50 PM) *
Abby is my favorite also. My kind of girl.

She puts goths in a very good light and is the sort of person who probably everyone would want to meet a real life version of. :) Her style and humour make her a very popular character. I've never met any real-life goths like Abby, but you never know, they may exist.

If you want to enhance your videos, you can add Effects in the Vision editing screen. There are such things as Sharpen and Blur effects, etc. Take a look at them. I think this is what DaisyduckGAF is referring to when discussing filters.

Whereabouts do I find this section?
All I can find is "What would you like to do?" but no menus to sharpen or blur effects.

There is no way to correct things like red eye in video. Those kind of corrections can be done in Nero MediaHub for photos. You can take a snapshot of a frame in Vision and edit it in NMHub but I'm not sure how you would apply that to all frames that you want to correct.

As I've never done picture editing, I'd probably be best adjusting just small sections, but it sounds very good. :)

To enhance the audio, you would use Export\Export audio to File. You can then edit that file in WaveEditor and then import it back into Vision.

I'll have to put this into practice. I'm aware of VOB files but that AVI uses up less resources than VOB.
I don't know if Nero has the option to convert VOB to AVI, but when I recorded those two disks I spoke of before, while one was the wrong contents, both recorded in perfect quality as VOB files. :)

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 7 2011, 04:27 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

To get to the editing screen, you can start directly in Make Movie. Add your video to the TimeLine. The effects are on the upper righthand side just below where you import the video. If you start out in any of the Vision options, once you've added your video you can select Edit and that will take you either to the Content screen or to the Make Movie editing screen. If it takes you to the Content screen, you can select Edit from there.

An .avi is just a container and, for a DVD-Video, would contain the VOB_TS, Audio_TS and a few other files.

This post has been edited by wither: Mar 7 2011, 04:29 PM

+Quote Post
DaisyDuckGAF
post Mar 7 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Hi David,

ok the usage info! You can deactivate this in the Nero ControlCenter: Open the Nero ControlCenter, e.g. via the Windows Start menu or via Nero StartSmart, and click on the tab "Product Settings" - here you will see the option "I want to help by sending application usage data to Nero" - please uncheck the box to deactivate this setting!

Yes you're right, DVD-Video is the safer option in comparison to an editable DVD.

Seems like you're on the right track :)

Kind regards

Daisy

+Quote Post
NCISfan
post Mar 9 2011, 12:31 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (wither @ Mar 7 2011, 04:27 PM) *
To get to the editing screen, you can start directly in Make Movie. Add your video to the TimeLine. The effects are on the upper righthand side just below where you import the video. If you start out in any of the Vision options, once you've added your video you can select Edit and that will take you either to the Content screen or to the Make Movie editing screen. If it takes you to the Content screen, you can select Edit from there.

An .avi is just a container and, for a DVD-Video, would contain the VOB_TS, Audio_TS and a few other files.

Thanks for your instructions.

I've just had a look around "Make Movie" and the options you quoted. I look forward to making use of this.

Meanwhile, what is a Container in the context of AVI files? and

Does Nero have the option to convert to AVI before recordings are transferred to CD and DVD disks?

+Quote Post
NCISfan
post Mar 9 2011, 12:42 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (DaisyDuckGAF @ Mar 7 2011, 08:05 PM) *
Hi David,

ok the usage info! You can deactivate this in the Nero ControlCenter: Open the Nero ControlCenter, e.g. via the Windows Start menu or via Nero StartSmart, and click on the tab "Product Settings" - here you will see the option "I want to help by sending application usage data to Nero" - please uncheck the box to deactivate this setting!

Yes you're right, DVD-Video is the safer option in comparison to an editable DVD.

Hi Daisy

Thanks also for your instructions.

I'm sure I'll get used to Nero in time, it's just that it's different from an older version of Nero that I previously had (the option to insert specific programs from a list wasn't there before) and there are so many invaluable options to choose from, but I look forward to exploring them over time.

I have added the Control Center to my list of activated programs and since removed the Application Usage Data option.

I will continue to make use of the DVD-Video option. :)

QUOTE (DaisyDuckGAF @ Mar 7 2011, 08:05 PM) *
Seems like you're on the right track :)

Kind regards

Daisy

This sounds very promising, which is excellent news. :)

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 9 2011, 04:45 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

There are all kinds of containers like .avi and .mkv. They just contain the video and audio in various formats. Vision doesn't export to .avi. No matter which container you start with, if you burn a DVD-Video, the on-disc files will be vob_ts and audio_ts along with similar files.

This post has been edited by wither: Mar 27 2011, 04:30 PM

+Quote Post
NCISfan
post Mar 26 2011, 06:57 PM
Post #18

Sorry for the long delay in replying to you. I've had an extra busy month.

It sounds like that, whoever has converted video into AVI files is using a different Recording program to Nero.

I'd just assumed originally that AVI used less resources than VOB, like MP3 does to WAV files, but I shall make good use of the suggestions you and Daisy have brought up. :)

QUOTE (wither @ Mar 9 2011, 04:45 PM) *
There all kinds of containers like .avi and .mkv. They just contain the video and audio in various formats. Vision doesn't export to .avi. No matter which container you start with, if you burn a DVD-Video, the on-disc files will be vob_ts and audio_ts along with similar files.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic