Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> why cant nero burn at 1X?
pressureny
post Feb 10 2011, 12:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,895,312

I am a proffesional DJ and need to burn my audio CD's at 1x.

I see nero only allows me to burn at 8x lowest speed.

How do I make nero burn at 1x?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 10 2011, 04:22 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

I don't know why you have to burn at 1x, that's a blu-ray or DVD burn speed, but I don't think it's possible in Nero. In the Burning Rom Audio CD section, under the CDA tab, you can set the write speed to 4x. I don't think anyone's reported an audio problem burning a audio cd at normal cd writing speeds.

This post has been edited by wither: Feb 10 2011, 04:23 AM

+Quote Post
DaisyDuckGAF
post Feb 10 2011, 09:42 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,751,402

Hi pressureny, hello wither,

actually Nero is not what determines the available write speed settings, it depends on a) the burner b) its firmware and c) the blank discs you use.
If all three components allow 1x speed you will be able to write at 1x using Nero.

Please check the details of your writer to see if this speed is generally available.
Regarding the firmware you should have a look at the website of your burner's manufacturer, they usually provide downloads of the firmware on the website - if you cannot find them you should contact them directly - different firmare versions may support different write speed settings.
As for the discs, they are usually labeled accordingly.
You could also contact the manufacturer of your burner to ask for preferred brands of blank discs.

I think that these days many blank discs really do have a minimum write speed of 4x but I am sure that, especially for professional or semi-professional audio recordings, there should be disc that will let you burn at 1x.

You can look up the write speed settings currently supported by your burner and firmware in the Nero InfoTool:

In the Windows start menu, please click on "Start" and subsequently select the following entries:

For Nero 10:
"All Programs"-"Nero"-"Nero 10"-"Nero InfoTool"

For Nero 9:
"All Programs"-"Nero"-"Nero 9"-" Nero Toolkit"-"Nero InfoTool"

For Nero 8:
"All Programs"-"Nero 8"-"ToolKit"-"Nero InfoTool"

For Nero 7:
"All Programs"-"Nero 7"-"ToolKit"-"Nero InfoTool".

For 6:
"All Programs"-"Nero"-"Nero ToolKit"-"Nero InfoTool".

-> The Nero InfoTool is being started.

Please wait until the progress bar has moved completely to the right.
-> The window "Nero InfoTool" will open.

You can see the available write speed settings when you select your burner in the InfoTool.

Best regards

Daisy

+Quote Post
feline1
post Feb 10 2011, 07:48 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,887,014

Are you thinking you "need" to burn at x1 speed to get error free Red Book audio CDs?

This was standard advice about 15 years ago, but technology has moved on, and few drives support x1 burning any more, and few media are optimized from x1 burning.

If you buy good media and burn at it's suggested optimum burn rate, you should still get good results.

Taiyo Yuden blank media still have a reputation for being the best... google for where you can buy those and you'll probably find you can get reliable C2-error-free burns at speeds over x16... typical speeds these days are x48!

+Quote Post
BeemerBiker
post Feb 18 2011, 05:43 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,158,767

I am no expert on audio recording quality, but I ran a problem very similar. One of my systems cannot support 4x Blu Ray burning and I cannot set the Blu Ray recorder down to the equivalent of "1x" because the intensity of the laser light used cannot be decreased low enough (hardware restriction). The recordings still work because of buffer underrun protection. I once burned a straight line from the "hole" to the back edge of the dvd when a burner was "stuck on" and I ejected the media by using the pin hole. The software I was using hung with the laser light on.

Audio quality does vary and I have noticed that burning at high speed the audio is not as good as lower speed settings. You might want to try the following

Look at the manufacturer specifications for the recording device. For example my 8x external slim dvd burner supports the following speeds

The slowest speed is 10x and that speed uses constant linear velocity (CLV) for writing.

One can run a reproduction test for quality using this tool http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ At one time there was a list of the "best" drives but I didnt see it when I went there before posting. I have not used his speedtest program for several years, ever since drive quality improved.

Ideally you should use the same device to both play and record the audio. I am not sure if the reproduction test can use your player and burner. ie: burn the test disk and then play it on the player you use for playing your DJ audio. The player would have to be connected to the PC running the test. I have not tried that as I have always used the same device.

If you really want 1x recording look for some used SCSI-2 burners.

This post has been edited by BeemerBiker: Feb 18 2011, 05:52 PM

+Quote Post
feline1
post Feb 18 2011, 06:06 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,887,014

I would be a bit sceptical about some of these claims.

Try this test:

Burn some audio, then rip if back off using a program such as "Exact Audio Copy".

Put the ripped WAV and the original WAV up together in an audio editor,
and invert the phase of one of them.
If you get silence, then your burnt/ripped WAV is identical.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic