Start new topic
> one or more files could not be added to a compilation
BeemerBiker
post Jan 9 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,158,767

When createing a new BDMV-Video, copy and paste fail when backup contains a "JAR" directory even if the directory is empty. The left side of the image below shows BACKUP contains BDJO, CLIPINF and PLAYLIST. The right side, shows an additional directory "JAR" that probably does not belong there. It was created by DVDFab. Be that as it may, in looking at the original Blu Ray disk I purchased, I also see other stuff in "BACKUP" that was not created when the NEW option was selected. In any event, NERO simply stops and reports a really stupid error message quote:

"The following files may not reside in the directories of a BDMV compilation
F:\BluRay\HarryPotter2_Chamber"

The only "file" that may or may not belong is "JAR" and the "file" listed in the error message above is actually a directory.

The following software problems need to be addressed by Nero:

(1) One should be able to "open a compilation directory". ie: I click on "open" then select the directory containing the "BDMV and CERTIFICATE" which in this case would be "HarryPotter_2". Currently, this is not an option and one must select "BDMV-Video" and copy and paste the contents of the directory.

(2) Error handleing should be robust enough to paste in all the correct items and show the ones that do not belong in the error message. In the above example, JAR did not belong and after I deleted it, and did a repaste, the burn took under 15 minutes and the Blu-Ray played fine. DVDFab took over an hour before its burn failed.

(3) When using copy and paste, dropping a directory "CERTIFICATE" for example, onto the root (HarryPotter-2 in this example) should be handled by placeing the contents of "CERTIFICATE" into "CERTIFICATE". This is how windows explorer (GUI) handles copy and paste. IMHO, If one drops a directory onto a DISK the directory goes on the DISK. If one drops a directory onto a directory, it goes into the target directory. Currently, if I grab CERTIFICATE from the right hand side of the image above, and drop it right over "CERTIFICATE" on the left side, IMHO one would expect that the CERTIFICATE itself would be placed into CERTIFICATE". Instead, the paste is handled as if the CIRTIFICATE diretory was dropped into the ROOT. ie: the pasting is done correctly, but way it was handled was incorrect.

Dropping "CERTIFICATE" onto "HarryPotter_2" generate an error message. It should simply put the contents of CERTIFICATE into CERTIFICATE like the way nero GUI handles cd and dvd compilations.

(4) When createing a "new" compilation IMHO nero should put the phrase "NEW" at the root. Instead it puts the previous label.

Thanks for looking and the software otherwise works great!

This post has been edited by BeemerBiker: Jan 9 2011, 04:48 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Jan 9 2011, 06:41 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

The Harry Potter series is probably copyrighted or otherwise protected (DRM, CSS, etc.) and you won't be able to copy it or burn it with Nero or any other legitimate like program. For BD, the firmware for the drive itself contains a program to prevent burning this kind of material. I read that it can be hacked but at the expense of making your drive inoperable.

+Quote Post
BeemerBiker
post Jan 9 2011, 06:58 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

I purchased the collectors edition of both "Back to the Future" and the Harry Potter Years 1..6. BTTF came with complete backup copies but the HP Collectors Edition did not. AFAIK, the law of the country I live in allows me to make one backup copy of any software I own, which I did, using DVDFab's free Blu-Ray copy tool. However, their software failed to burn the blank BluRay disk. Unaccountably, DVDFab spend over an hour duplicating a 25gb file (the 50gb had already been reduce to 25gb after I got rid of the foreign language and HD audio). It got only about 20mm of "burn" on the disk before reporting an error like over an hour after I started the burn. After I deleted that "JAR" file, it took Nero about 15 minutes to make a good copy which I verified on my LG 590 set top player. It did take me a while to figure out the "JAR" file had to be deleted. I did that by comparing what in the backup folder with what was on the my original BluRay disk.

+Quote Post
wither
post Jan 9 2011, 07:41 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Video files have to be authored in a program like Vision before they can be burned. The authoring puts the video in the correct format for the type of disc you're trying to burn. You then import or drag and drop either the whole folder or the file, such as a .m2ts, into the app you want to burn with. There can be no other files in the folder other than the authored files. The JAR is a Java type file and is not part of a video format.

I won't comment any more on the protection issues which I suspect DVDfab removes. I mean, you had to remove HD audio which kind of defeats the purpose of BD.

You should send your comments directly to tech support via e-mail.

+Quote Post
BeemerBiker
post Jan 9 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Yea - I removed 7.1 dolby because I only have 5.1 capability on my amplifier. I also have an old type big screen that does not support 1080 or wide, but eventually I will replace that. I just don't want my original DVDs to be damaged by the time I get a better system. The copy played just fine, but there were those dark bands above and below the image since I don't have a wide screen TV.

Supposidly, one can compress the original HD audio (7.1) using newer codex. I looked thru my LG BD-590 list of supported codex but it is not clear exactly what is supported. I have only had it for a week though. I read where Nero can create BD5 and BD9 type DVD's that are as good as the original BluRay (supposidly) but according to the official LG forum here my BD590 cannot play BD5 nor BD9 even though WIKI states that is part of the BluRay spec

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Jan 13 2011, 02:38 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,466,818

Hello BeemerBiker,

Nero doesn´t allow you to copy or burn discs or videos that are copy-protected. Even though the protection has been remove by other software, this is not legal in Germany, and we do not offer a product that can remove copy-protection. Nero is a German product and we develop the software according to the German law. It could be that even if you used other software to remove this protection, the file still has some protection left that hasn´t been removed correctly. We are in no way responsible for how other software remove copy-protection from discs. In that case there is no workaround that we can offer you as we do not distribute software that bypasses copy-protection.
Hope that you can understand this,

Best regards,
Infohelp

+Quote Post

Closed Topic