Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Nero Vision doesn't do subtitles!
slink
post Dec 28 2010, 07:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,170,893

I'm rather surprised - I bought Nero because I thought that the most expensive option would actually perform basic conversions. Apparently Nero Vision does not include subtitles at all when importing video even from a DVD that has them. Is there any news on when and if Nero Vision will support something as basic as subtitles?

I understand that Nero Recode supposedly does handle subtitles but that has it's own issues which I wrote about in the other forum and an inability to import files at all.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Dec 28 2010, 08:32 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: MVP
Member No.: 69,291

Before blaming a product for its missing abilities you should have informed yourself about that before buying it. As far as I know there's no product in this price category which supports subtitles either and has this range of functions at the same time.

And that Nero Vision doesn't support subtitles is all known. It's a software especially for converting your home made videos to DVD/Bluray/AVCHD, not for converting commercial dvd-movies. And if you recorded a TV show with DVB subtitles, those won't be recognized by any other software either. Therefor they have to be converted to DVD subtitles.

You can work around that, by laying text effects (e. g. static text) over the picture and put it into the correct position.

+Quote Post
slink
post Dec 28 2010, 09:59 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Mister_M @ Dec 28 2010, 08:32 AM) *
Before blaming a product for its missing abilities you should have informed yourself about that before buying it. As far as I know there's no product in this price category which supports subtitles either and has this range of functions at the same time.

You're right - a lot of free software even supports subtitles. With regard to the Nero package, the problem is inconsistency - Recode *does* support subtitles. It's quite confusing.

And that Nero Vision doesn't support subtitles is all known. It's a software especially for converting your home made videos to DVD/Bluray/AVCHD, not for converting commercial dvd-movies. And if you recorded a TV show with DVB subtitles, those won't be recognized by any other software either. Therefor they have to be converted to DVD subtitles.

Recode apparently supports it but Vision doesn't. Nero costs over $100 and is supposed to be top flight software. As I said, there is free software that handles subtitles.

You can work around that, by laying text effects (e. g. static text) over the picture and put it into the correct position.

For what I created, I'm not about to layer 30 sets of subtitles manually and place it in the correct position. This would take numerous hours. As I mentioned, it's odd that some of the products support subtitles and others don't in this package.

+Quote Post
slink
post Dec 28 2010, 11:25 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Mister_M @ Dec 28 2010, 08:32 AM) *

Sadly, I found a product for $30 that will take subtitles and embed them right into the transcoded video as an option, pretty easy to do. After trying to work with Vision and Recode, neither of them could do that and Recode apparently only recodes DVDs. Platinum HD has a ways to go until it is truly "Platinum" for HD - right now it's more like Bronze...

+Quote Post
wither
post Dec 28 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

You're correct in that Nero will not hard code subtitles.

However, Recode will recode video files in most formats. Myself and others do it all the time. You have to use Recode DVD's and Videos to Nero Digital.

+Quote Post
slink
post Dec 28 2010, 06:08 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (wither @ Dec 28 2010, 05:55 PM) *
You're correct in that Nero will not hard code subtitles.
However, Recode will recode video files in most formats. Myself and others do it all the time. You have to use Recode DVD's and Videos to Nero Digital.

It doesn't seem to have the ability to import files, such as hi-def m2ts files. The only thing that works is to import a DVD, which isn't HD video. It's also maddening when one product does something like subtitles but the other doesn't - why not? What am I missing here? As I said, I found another product for $25 that seems to be a better transcoder than Nero and has these options that seem to have been left out in the transcoding package. It's as if all the money and effort went into patent protection that used to plague me with Nero 8 and with making sure that the movie studios won't get angry at you and send nasty letters because the software could be used to transcode copyrighted movies. It's unfortunate.

+Quote Post
wither
post Dec 28 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

I just imported an .m2ts, a .avi and a .mpeg-4.

+Quote Post
slink
post Dec 28 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #8

Thanks but none of this matters. Nero Vision won't allow me to save a file on the hard disk that is bigger than a DVD. I don't understand this. I have 350 GB of free space I can't use to transcode into a high definition format that is higher than a DVD5 for anything other than bluray format.

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Dec 28 2010, 11:17 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: MVP
Member No.: 69,291

You can use the export function in Nero Vision. There choose "AVCHD/Bluray" at the format options. The result is an AVCHD or bluray compliant m2ts-file with no space limitations.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic