Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> [Solved] Nero 8 & W7 64-bit
lamanogaucha
post Nov 16 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,162,913

This has probably been asked before but I could not find an advanced search function, so I'll start a new thread.

I recently bought a new computer that runs on W7HP 64-bit. I would like to install my copy of Nero 8 Ultra to this OS but I don't know if it is compatible. I've searched elsewhere for an answer but I keep reading mixed opinions -- some say "yes" and some say "no".

Last time that I came here (about two years ago) there was very little, if any support from the Nero staff. I'm hoping that this time a Nero expert can let me know the status of N8U/W7HP-64. If not, any help and advise from the community would be greatly appreciated. If certain fully updated items in the suite are compatible, please list them. Ditto regarding the ones that aren't. Please mention any issues or things that I should keep in mind. Thanx fellars.

I would hate to have to buy the thing again, especially since I was not so impressed with N8U in comparison with N6 (too much bloatware and updating the thing was a nightmare), and since I read so many times about N9 problems. I hope that N10 is not like N9. I'm really crossing my fingers for N8U/W7HP-64 compatibility!

Edit: Actually, I just realized that I was here about six months ago dealing with a burn verification issue. Anyhow, my last posts regarding N8U as a whole were indeed two years ago.

This post has been edited by lamanogaucha: Nov 16 2010, 05:55 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Nov 16 2010, 07:03 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

My first foray into the forum was 2 1/2 years ago and I found the same thing. Little by little I learned enough about Nero to be helpful so now I'm in here everyday. I have the luxury of being retired. Nero technical support in the forum is also much better today in that someone like Infohelp is usually here everyday.

V8 isn't supported by Nero tech support in Win 7. You may be able to do most of the things you want to do with this combination but eventually you will might find something that doesn't work. If you have Win 7 pro, enterprise or ultimate, you could download Virtual XP and try running V8 within that. Nero won't officially say if it will run that way. You could also try VM Player.

V10 Platinum is a very good version of Nero and will run without issue on most Win 7 systems (obviously, there are a few configurations that have issues.). You don't need to buy any plug-ins for Platinum. However, Nero Media Hub doesn't have as many of the options that were in ShowTime and people have voiced their dissatisfaction. V8 will run seamlessly with V10 so, if you went to V10 and ShowTime runs in Win 7, you could get the advantages of both. Maybe you wouldn't have a problem with NMHub so it could be a mute issue.

Note that V10 is the first version to use a standard Windows msi installer. All updates are done through the control center and you don't need to uninstall your current installation. Much easier to work with.

+Quote Post
lamanogaucha
post Nov 16 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #3

Many thanks for your post. You saved me a world of trouble. :)

I looked into the Virtual XP option but since I only have W7HP-64, an upgrade to W7P-64 would actually cost about the same as buying N10S. I don't need N10P because I don't use Blu-ray, but the Creative Collection Pack is tempting. That version costs about the same as the W7U-64 upgrade. I'm not sure if I want to pay an extra $30 just for the CCP feature though... What do you think?

What you mentioned about ShowTime is actually very important to me because that is one of the programs that I use the most (the other being BurningROM). I need certain features, such as control of speeds, forward, backward and A/B repeat -- very important. Are these included in N10S and N10P? If not, I think that you said that I can install only ShowTime from N8U. Is that right? Wouldn't that conflict with the N10S ShowTime installation or the N10S installation as a whole? Or should I install the N8U ShowTime prior to N10S and then tell N10S to install everything except ShowTime? Would that work?

Looking forward to your reply! Cheers.

PS: I was contemplating a dual-boot environment using my boxed Vista HP-32 and W7HP-64 but that won't work because my W7 exists only on DVD recovery discs created from the bundled OS on my new laptop; since the older system must be installed first, the recovery discs would simply erase my Vista installation. I can't afford to purchase a boxed W7 at this time just to be able to create a dual-boot.

This post has been edited by lamanogaucha: Nov 16 2010, 08:23 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Nov 16 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

I don't think the dual boot would do anything to Vista. If it did, there wouldn't be any point of having a dual boot system. All the dual boots I know of require that you install the older version first. However, it's been a while since I read about how to do it so I'll leave that to you. If you use a virtual machine like VM Player and install Vista in that, then Win 7 wouldn't ever see it. Note that one person in the forum recently had a problem between VMware and V10 but tech support couldn't reproduce it.

In contrast to V9 and earlier, V10 uses a Windows installer so it has no effect on those versions. Working with V10 is like working with any other Windows program like Word, Excel, TurboCad etc. I have both V9 and V10 installed and they don't affect one another except on my Vista HP 64 bit system, V10 won't take over the AutoPlay options from V9. Tech Support can't reproduce it on their machines. It's no big deal to me and it would only require some registry edits to fix. V10 uses the Windows uninstaller (control panel).

V10 has Nero Media Hub as a replacement for ShowTime so that's not an issue. You can install all of V8 or do a custom install of ShowTime in Win 7. Since you already have Win 7, there's no harm in trying it to see if ShowTime and the other apps work to your satisfaction.

There have been many improvements to Nero since V8. All you need to do is to take a look at the Release Notes at Nero.com. At the same time, there have been some things in a few of the apps like Vision and ShowTime that have been removed. Most of them have been reported to tech support and I think that some of them will be brought back in V11 but who knows. Vision has a new look interface in editing which requires some getting used to but I think it has more features than V9 and older. You can download and install the Trial and take it for a spin. The nice thing about Platinum besides the creative packages is that all the plug-ins are there and the price right now is very good at $79 and you also get a credit for having V8. I think it's a steal. Where else can you get so much at such a price. I don't think you can buy full blown Roxio that cheap and, from what I hear, Roxio doesn't have all the features of Nero.

One thing to think about is backwards compatibility. I have to be careful here because I don't know what the extent is for all apps. I know that Vision projects created in V10 are not backwards compatible. Likewise, V10 doesn't recognize some effects and menu templates in projects from previous versions. Custom templates from previous versions are recognized. You should probably ask customer service about backwards compatibility.

+Quote Post
lamanogaucha
post Nov 16 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #5

Hi,

The reason why the dual-boot I spoke about won't work in my case is because one needs two (or more) boxed systems, not one boxed and one recovery. The recovery discs (in my case W7, which is the newer one and has to be installed after Vista) would simply erase the entire drive to install itself, thus deleting Vista. With two boxed systems, I could simply tell the second one (W7) two install on a different partition and Vista would remain intact. I can't afford a second boxed set, so...

I'll look into the VMware thing though. I might be able to use the free "player" and install Vista and N8U in there. I'm reading the documentation and "Getting Started Guide" as I type. I wonder what the performance impact on my computer as a whole will be though. Will it slow it down too much for serious gaming? My computer has an i5 M460 CPU (2.53GHz per core which can automatically overclock itself up to 2.80GHz per core), 4GB of RAM and an ATI 5730 with 2GB, but I'm still concerned. For me to install this VM Player with Vista HP-32 I have to be totally sure that if there is an impact in performance, it would have to be very, very negligible -- I don't want to waste my hardware just to deal with a Nero problem.

For now, I think that my best option is to purchase and install N10P, install N8U's ShowTime (or vice-versa) and that's it. One thing though: You mentioned that N10P is only $79 but on the order page it says $93.49, plus $5.99 for the Extended Download Service, which brings the total to $99.48. (I don't need the RecoverDisc, which is another $12.99.) What gives?

BTW, does N10S or N10P hijack file associations upon install? When I installed N8U two years ago, I ended up having to spend hours manually resetting the associations via the OS -- a very aggravating and uncalled for experience, to say the least.

PS: Nero should remunerate you for your service here! LOL! Thanx, chief!

Edit: I figured out what you meant by $79.99. That's if I get the upgrade from N8 to N10P, rather than buying N10P as a first time customer. Question: Does that mean that to be able to get the N10P upgrade N8 needs to already be in my computer or do they send me an .exe that is identical to the one a first timer gets? This is very important to know because I don't want to install the whole N8U suite into my new computer, as this version is incompatible!

This post has been edited by lamanogaucha: Nov 16 2010, 10:54 PM

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Nov 17 2010, 11:03 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8,784,165

QUOTE (lamanogaucha @ Nov 16 2010, 10:39 PM) *
BTW, does N10S or N10P hijack file associations upon install? When I installed N8U two years ago, I ended up having to spend hours manually resetting the associations via the OS -- a very aggravating and uncalled for experience, to say the least.

This was your decission.
In nero 8 and nero 10, you can select during installation, if you want to associate file extensions or not.

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Nov 17 2010, 03:40 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,466,818

Hi lamanogaucha,

We do not recommend to install Nero 8 under a Windows 7 system, as Nero 8 is not officially compatible with Windows 7. Wither already told you this and I also saw that you are working on a solution to this problem. We only can tell you that we do not recommend to install any Nero product under a not supported system and therefore not tested. You can still do it under your own risk, but we cannot offer you support nor workarounds.

Regarding the question that remains unanswered:

Edit: I figured out what you meant by $79.99. That's if I get the upgrade from N8 to N10P, rather than buying N10P as a first time customer. Question: Does that mean that to be able to get the N10P upgrade N8 needs to already be in my computer or do they send me an .exe that is identical to the one a first timer gets? This is very important to know because I don't want to install the whole N8U suite into my new computer, as this version is incompatible!

No, you don´t need to install Nero 8 to be able to install the upgrade to Nero 10. Nero 8 and Nero 10 are two different products, and use two different installers. What you get when you upgrade is a special discount on your Nero 10 purchase, as you already own a previous Nero 8 version, but no Nero 8 version is needed to be able to install Nero 10. You will receive a new installer and a new serial number, only valid for Nero 10.

Best regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post
lamanogaucha
post Nov 17 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #8

Thanks for that, Infohelp. My preliminary intention is to get the N10P upgrade and install it (hopefully without issues) and install *only* ShowTime from N8U. ST is a relatively simple application, so I have a feeling that it might work just fine.

I said "preliminary" because I'm still looking into the option of installing the WMware Player, install Vista there, and in turn install N8U into that. You see, I do have a few software titles that I don't want to "lose" because of W7, so the possible option of being able to run them on the virtual machine (rather than just trying my luck with "compatibility mode") sounds great. It mostly depends on how much of a performance loss this virtual machine thing entails. Who knows, I may end up getting N10P and create a virtual machine anyway, just for those few games.

Jens, that was not my decision. I do not remember seeing such an option upon install, and if there was, I must have allowed Nero to associate things simply because a typical software user assumes that an application will only associate things to itself that are vital, logical or obvious for its functioning. In other words, a user does not normally expect an application to take over every single file extension that it can use (at the expense of many other applications and careful planning and time spent from the user) without at least some real warning. It's counterintuitive. The threads and posts that I've seen here regarding just that are enough proof that I'm not the only one who was "fooled". I'm glad that that problem was fixed in N10 (I hope).

This post has been edited by lamanogaucha: Nov 17 2010, 05:45 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Nov 18 2010, 03:44 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Jens-f is correct. The option is there in those versions to determine which categories of files you want to associate with Nero. The option was taken out in V9 and there was much noise about it. The option is back in V10.

Let us know how the virtual machine turns out.

This post has been edited by wither: Nov 18 2010, 03:45 AM

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Nov 18 2010, 08:18 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Hi lamanogaucha,

Here a link to download the Nero 10 trial version: http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-nero10-trial.php

Maybe you want to test it. You can install it and test it for 15 days.

I also attach a screenshot displaying the file associations option in Nero 10. I understand what you mean. Sometimes we go fast through the installation process and don´t pay attention to all the information provided during it, so we might skip it. Here a screenshot for you to know what to expect.

Hope this helps and best regards,

Infohelp

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
lamanogaucha
post Nov 18 2010, 07:07 PM
Post #11

Thanks guys. I'll come back after I've figured out which configuration I'll use and after everything is in good working order.

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Nov 19 2010, 12:16 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

No problem, let us know if we can help you furhter! Have fun testing Nero 10!

+Quote Post
lamanogaucha
post Nov 21 2010, 11:44 AM
Post #13

I installed Nero 8U's ShowTime and it went without a glitch. It was a pain in the *** to update but the program managed to do it. The installation automatically included ControlCenter, Scout and some debris for a few other apps, even though I selected only ShowTime for install. It's not a big deal, I suppose. I also updated ControlCenter and Scout. ShowTime works without any issues, at least for me.

I decided that I'm not going to purchase Nero 10, at least for the time being. I must say that the company has gradually lost my confidence since the release of N7 (which was when the bloatware really started to take hold). Nero 8 was too problematic regarding updating (and had even more bloatware). Nero 9 was a fiasco, especially during the first few months of release. Support is weak and sometimes even hostile and/or misleading. I just can't see myself supporting this company anymore with my hard-earned cash, even if it's less than $100. Nero 6 were the golden days for the company as a whole, and that edition (especially their final build) was their masterpiece. It's time to move on. That said, if I absolutely need an application from Nero 10 or later, I might consider a purchase.

Regarding VMware Player, I still haven't gotten to it. I'm saving that for last, and only in order to use some game titles from a few years ago that are no longer compatible with W7. Since I'm not going to install N8U there, the VMware Player topic is beyond the scope of this thread. Therefore, I'll part here. Thanks for the help, Infohelp and wither.

This post has been edited by lamanogaucha: Nov 21 2010, 11:45 AM

+Quote Post
wither
post Nov 21 2010, 04:09 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

You're welcome from my end.

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Nov 22 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Hi lamanogaucha,

You are welcome from my end too. Thank you for informing us about your dissatisfaction. Feedback is always good for us, and we are doing our best to offer the best product and the support as possible. The improvement with Nero 10 is really amazing. Nero 10 is an all-round multimedia software that was developed with our customers' wishes in mind. We continually receive very positive feedback about our software. We are sorry to hear that you have a different opinion. Maybe you get to give Nero 10 a chance. At least the trial version.

Thanks again for your feedback and hopefully we will get the opportunity to win you back as a happy customer in the future!
In the meantime I close this thread.

Best regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post

Closed Topic