IPB

Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> What does the VERIFY option actually do? Is it worth using it?
YoshiMoshi
post Oct 18 2010, 07:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,836,513

What does the VERIFY option actually do? Is it worth using it?

i'd like to know what the VERIFY DATA actually does after burning a disc. in this case i am talking only about a data disc. (ie: files)
does it just copy the whole contents of the disc to a temp folder and then deletes it after it's successful?
i mean is it worth doubling the burn time to use the verify option?

thanks,
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Oct 18 2010, 03:33 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

I'm not postitive, but I would guess that it does a checksum against what's on disk versus the files on your HDD that you burned. Whether or not you want to know if there's any errors, that's up to you.

+Quote Post
YoshiMoshi
post Oct 19 2010, 12:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,836,513

QUOTE (wither @ Oct 18 2010, 03:33 PM) *
I'm not postitive, but I would guess that it does a checksum against what's on disk versus the files on your HDD that you burned. Whether or not you want to know if there's any errors, that's up to you.

whatever it does, it basically takes the same time to verify as the burn takes, so one would assume it copies the finished disc back to a temp destination on the hard drive and if it doesn't fail it's ok and the verification passes.
at any rate, my question still stands.

i mean am i the 1st person to ask this question? how does nero verify a burned disc? is it a secret?

+Quote Post
wither
post Oct 20 2010, 01:48 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

I didn't know that you wanted specifics. That kind of information will have to come from tech support. We'll just leave as is and see if Infohelp sees this tomorrow.

+Quote Post
PracticalPigCH
post Oct 22 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,748,197

Dear YoshiMoshi,

sorry for getting to this thread so late, but for in-depth technical questions, sometimes also the Nero members have to dig a bit deeper :-)

For a verification Nero prepares the data in the same way as for the actual burn process. Burning is done sector-by-sector, so Nero actually sends different sectors to the device and waits until the burner has burnt them to the disc. Instead of burning, these sectors are now read from the disc. Nero checks if the sector that has been prepared for burning (but won't be burnt, as we are in verification mode) is exactly the same as the sector that has been read.

Since Nero does not check the complete disc but each sector separately, all data can reside in the RAM, no images are created.

This also anwers the two other questions in this thread: it's no checksum verification, but a real sector-by-sector check. As a burning process is "simulated", the verification process will take as long as the burning process.

I hope that this answers your question about the technology.

The question if it is worth doubling the burn time to use the verify option can only be answered by yourself. Not each verification problem will result in a usage problem of the disc. The disc verification is just another technology to reduce the risk.

Hope this helps

The Practical Pig

+Quote Post
ploughman39A
post Oct 23 2010, 10:10 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,801,630

PracticalPigCH & YoshiMoshi

From my understanding of Verify, the explanation given is basically correct.

The only problem that possibly may occur is which routine is used to Burn A Disc.

With Nero Burning ROM and Nero Express which I believe handles the the full capability of the OS naming process, which I believe is up-to 255 characters.

With the 'StartSmart' burn routine, this routine has a limitation, I believe, of 60 odd characters. Thus if the file name exceeds this it is truncated. But the Verify will return 'Satisfied' even though the name has been truncated.

I feel that 'VERIFY' relies on the 'Sector Address' rather than the name listed in the Directory.

Thus it checks the sector by sector information but does not seem to verify the Directory file name list.

That is is 'StartSmart' burring a file with a name of over 60 odd characters, its name is truncated but the sector contents of the file will verify but obviously the name will not be verified.

Although this anomalies has been reported to TS/CS, it seems that there are no plans to remedy this as there is a satisfactory WORKAROUND, although it is time consuming for the USER.

See the following THREAD http://forum.my.nero.com/index.php?showtopic=7496

This post has been edited by ploughman39A: Oct 23 2010, 10:28 AM

+Quote Post

Closed Topic