Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> iso, udf, don't know the difference.
vid2man97
post Sep 30 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,830,658

A little background here. I've been using xp till now and nero ultra 6. I've never, ever had problems and have always had great results with nero.
Forward to today and I'm now on win7 64 bit and have just installed nero burning rom 10. The problem I'm having is I'm just a little naive when it comes to the expert level of this as with ultra 6 I always burned using nero express. As much as I've watch tutorials and such I'm a little unsure of what settings will mimic what always gave me great results from ultra 6 all these years.
My main uses for the program are to burn data discs, both cd and on dvd and to burn .iso / _ts and such to dvd for dvd video. Nero express was great for me as I could simply choose my files and it did its magic. Now I'm faced with iso/joliet/udf and so on. Which is recommended for daily use for data cd/dvd? From what I gather, data cd/dvd iso is fine. I haven't tried burning a movie .iso to dvd yet but I'm going to guess that choice is easy...dvd movie. That was the only time I ever used nero 6 in expert mode, was to burn an image to slideshow dvds which I do a lot.
Sorry I'm seeming like such a noob here but I guess that's what happens when you just use express for so many years. But hey, it never let me down and I'm sort of missing it now. I'd appreciate if someone could set me straight on which settings are best for all around use. Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Raimondas
post Sep 30 2010, 03:30 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: MVP
Member No.: 7,525,840

DVD content--including programs, movies, and video games--used to be typically burnt to a DVD using an ISO format. Now, the format has been upgraded and changed and referred to as UDF. UDF discs can be burned to run as stand-alone discs and used to copy movies, start-up software and copied video games for systems like the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Features.
* UDF stands for Universal Disk Format. This format has been around for years, but it took off in 2009 as the DVD standard.

Function.
* Consumers can use DVD burners to burn content by using the UDF format. Newer DVD players, like the Xbox 360, will only read burned DVDs in the UDF format.

Types.
* DVD-ROM UDFs are typically used to make copies of installation discs for both Windows, Mac and even Linux operating systems.

Compatibillity.
* While UDF files should not have any trouble on most computers, newer versions, including the UDF 2.60, may not work properly in operating systems like Windows XP.

Considerations.
* If you are not sure whether to burn to a UDF or ISO DVD-ROM, then choose the ISO DVD-ROM because it is more compatible with DVD players and computers.

+Quote Post
vid2man97
post Sep 30 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the reply. So I think I've got this here.
For basic data, cd and dvd is fine with iso.
For any sort of dvd movie/video destined for a dvd player I could use iso but udf is the new standard but I may run into compatibility problems if anyone has an older dvd player.
Hmm...so what's up with the option "iso/udf"?

+Quote Post
wither
post Sep 30 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

To burn DVD-Video, it has to be authored in a program like Vision. So, if that's what you want to burn, chose Make DVD in Vision and burn. You don't have to worry about the format since the DVD-Video format is the one most compatible with standalone players. If someone has a player older than about 2004, you should burn to a -R or -RW.

+Quote Post
vid2man97
post Sep 30 2010, 07:38 PM
Post #5

Again, thank you for the tips.

+Quote Post
wither
post Oct 1 2010, 03:23 AM