Start new topic
> Burning a DVD of photos to play on TV/DVD Player
Alesi1989
post Sep 20 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,827,500

Hi

Sorry if this is a really silly question, but I am new to all this burning stuff!

I have just installed a new DVD writer into my PC. Included in the box was a copy of Nero 8. I have lots of photos on my hard drive so wanted to put them on a DVD which I could use on other PC's and DVD Players. I chose the option 'Create a Data Disc' which works fine on computers but not on DVD Players. Having looked at the options again, I guess I should have chosen 'Burn Video Disc' but when I select that option, I only have 'Video CD', 'Super Video CD' or 'DVD-Video Files'. The first 2 only seem to be possible with a CD and the last doesn't work with my jpeg files.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Sep 21 2010, 03:40 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

First. What is your operating system. v8 is not compatible with Win 7 is all aspects.

Second. If you have Vision, open Make Slide Show; import your photos; edit as you wish and burn.

What you got with your drive is an Essentials version. The capabilities of an Essentials version vary with the drive manufacturer.

+Quote Post
Alesi1989
post Sep 21 2010, 07:01 AM
Post #3

Thanks for the reply wither.

I am sure it is really obvious, but this is all a bit new to me so sorry in advance if I am asking a daft question!

I am using Windows XP, when I select Nero Vision Essentials 5 SE, the option 'Make Slide Show' has 2 options next to it. One is 'Video CD', the other is 'Other Video Formats'. Given that I want a DVD I guess it is the second choice. If I select that I get the message 'Selecting this option will give you information onhow to burn DVD-video and S-VCD. These formats require the purchase of an additional plug-in due to patent license restrictions for encoding and decoding MPEG-2 files.'

I don't know if that is what I need. Is the problem that the Nero I have is not 'complete' enough for making a DVD of photos to run on TV and computer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Sep 21 2010, 07:44 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8,784,165

QUOTE (Alesi1989 @ Sep 21 2010, 07:01 AM) *
Thanks for the reply wither.

I am sure it is really obvious, but this is all a bit new to me so sorry in advance if I am asking a daft question!

I am using Windows XP, when I select Nero Vision Essentials 5 SE, the option 'Make Slide Show' has 2 options next to it. One is 'Video CD', the other is 'Other Video Formats'. Given that I want a DVD I guess it is the second choice. If I select that I get the message 'Selecting this option will give you information onhow to burn DVD-video and S-VCD. These formats require the purchase of an additional plug-in due to patent license restrictions for encoding and decoding MPEG-2 files.'

I don't know if that is what I need. Is the problem that the Nero I have is not 'complete' enough for making a DVD of photos to run on TV and computer.

Yes, you have an limited essentials version, where some features - for exmaple dvd-encoding - are missing. As said: The Features of the essentials versions are defined by the OEM.
So, to create dvds, you should consided to buy an upgrade.

Greetings, Jens

+Quote Post
Mrbelphy
post Sep 21 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,203,258

Hello,

If you own a Nero OEM/Essentials version, or a previous full version you can use your current serial number for upgrading to Nero Multimedia Suite 10.

Upgrades are only available as download versions plus serial number to unlock the software. If you prefer to have an installation disc, please mark the Recover-Disc in the shopping cart. Nero Retail versions, as a complete box package from local stores, are not available as upgrade.

Of course an upgrade is a full version, which means the version is self-installable and executable. Installing a previous version is not necessary. The serial number is only required for pricing. Please visit our upgrade page:

http://www.nero.com/eng/store-upgrade-center.html

regards
mrbelphy

+Quote Post
Alesi1989
post Sep 21 2010, 11:11 AM
Post #6

Hi

Many thanks for the explanations. I will investigate purchasing the full version.

+Quote Post
Alesi1989
post Sep 25 2010, 07:20 AM
Post #7

Sorry - one more question.

My dad has a fuller, albeit old, version of the software on his computer. He has created a slideshow which he can now play in DVD player or computer. What he can't do is individually retrieve the pictures from the disk when he puts it in the computer. If I purchase the new version, I would like to be able to create a DVD of photos which I can play on computer and TV, but that I can also at a later date retrieve individual photos should I wish to print. Is this possible?

Hope this makes sense and many thanks for any advice.

This post has been edited by Alesi1989: Sep 25 2010, 07:24 AM

+Quote Post
wither
post Sep 25 2010, 05:20 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Don't be sorry about asking any question. That what everybody is here for.

In your dad's case, there at least two ways two retrieve a photo for printing. He probably has ShowTime. If he plays the dvd in ShowTime, he can stop it, right click on the frame, select options and select capture frame. Where the frame goes depends on how you have the ShowTime Options set for Capture Frame. The other way I can readily think of is to import the disc into Make Movie and select the slide he wants to print in Preview and click on the camera below the Preview. It will save the file as a .png file which I believe you can print.

In V10, if you play the movie in Media Hub, you have to go from there to Make Movie or Slide Show to do the same thing. The easiest way is to just import the disc into Make Movie rather than starting in Media Hub and do the same thing as above.

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Oct 4 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,466,818

Hi Alesi1989,

When you create a Video DVD, pictures will be converted into a video format. The pictures as individual files will not be saved in the disc unless you select this option.

So, the only way to retrieve the pictures that you used to create a Slideshow, would be to create snapshots of them following wither´s suggestions.

Now, if you purchase Nero 10, you will be able to save the pictures as independent files on a DVD video the next time. This will not work for your actual disc, but it should work the next time, if you select this option before burning the disc.

In Nero Vision, before burning the disc, you have the possibility to select the option to save the original pictures in a folder on the disc, without converting them to a video format.

To do so, please select the option "Original pictures" from the drop-down menu "Additional folder" that you can find in the "Edit Menu screen" under “Disc/Project”.

I attach a screenshot.

Best regards,

Infohelp

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

Closed Topic