Start new topic
> Oversized Project
alonbej
post Aug 4 2010, 02:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,812,549

Hi
I have created a movie that is too large in size to fit onto one DVD. Withouth reducing the quality or cutting some of the movie down, how can I split the movie into 2 parts so that I can burn to 2 DVDs? Perhaps with separate menus/chapters?
Also how can I see the exact size of the project whilst editing it?
Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Aug 4 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

If you're using V10, you can do that with Burning Rom. There's an option to span video into two or more disks called Nero Diskspan. This capability doesn't exist in previous versions unless you cut the video in Vision and Export the separate clips and burn them to separate disks.

+Quote Post
alonbej
post Aug 4 2010, 03:53 PM
Post #3

thanks for that tip. I have V10 and have located Burning rom. however i cant open the movie as its not a recognised file type and i also cant see nero diskspan.

+Quote Post
wither
post Aug 4 2010, 03:56 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

When you open Burning Rom, at the top left of the screen you will see a window with CD in it. If you click on the down arrow and select DVD, the options change. Nero Diskspan is near the bottom of the DVD options.

What is the format of your video?

+Quote Post
alonbej
post Aug 4 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #5

Its a Nero Vision Compilation file.... I am mid-way through completeing the movie but noticed that i have already exceeded the allowed size. This format doesnt seem to open in diskspan though.

+Quote Post
wither
post Aug 4 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

If you select New and then Open, the list of compatible Nero projects are shown. You would have to save in one of those formats.

+Quote Post
timmy59
post Aug 5 2010, 07:24 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: MVP
Member No.: 7,308,960

Try using a Double layer DVD first. Then you have almost 10 GB of space. That is if your burner will burn Double Layer blanks.
If it keeps getting bigger (or worse) You might have to step up to Blu-ray with 25 GB of 50 GB depenping on which blanks you purchase.
I always have dual layer blanks on hand for extra big projects.
Timmy59/MVP

This post has been edited by timmy59: Aug 5 2010, 07:24 AM

+Quote Post
BeBiMa
post Aug 5 2010, 09:57 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,174,351

This is not really a solution to the problem.
If something doesn't fit anymore chose an bigger container.
There are many examples for this wrong way:
- if your clothes don't fit anymore, you buy the next size or try to reduce your weight. The latter is more healthy in the long term.
- if a OS or any software increase its functions, you can "pack" it on top of the old version. The system becomes slower and slower. The usual "cure" is to buy faster HW. The complexity and usablity of the SW doesn't become better.

Back to the topic: If you go to "bigger" DVDs or BlueRay you have to update your players also. A function to split large videos fitting them on "normal" DVDs would be the better solution. Because Nero aims on the "non expert user", it's Nero's task to implement such a task. The expert doesn't have this problem. There are tools to split an AVI before you feed it to Nero Vision. But this tools require some level of expertise.

+Quote Post
wither
post Aug 5 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

If I remember correctly (sorry I didn't go look) there's a split function in Vision. Just information.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic