Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> [Help] Can't uninstall Nero 8
ForeverUnchained
post Jul 27 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,810,175

I can't uninstall Nero 8. I tried the Windows add/remove programmes way and got an error message. Then I tried the Nero Clean Tool and it said it uninstalled it however the Nero folder and programmes are still clearly still there sitting in the program files folder they were installed into.

I've also tried Revo Uninstaller and it doesn't recognise Nero as being installed.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ploughman39A
post Jul 27 2010, 11:02 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,801,630

I know this would be considered as as NO NO.

If you have already tried the latest version of GCT from the website, and are unhappy about the result, which it sounds you are, try reinstalling Nero 8 over the current contents of the installation folder.

I do not know about Nero 8, but overlaying a Nero 9 installation, appears to remove the installed routines before reinstalling them. It is possible that Nero 8 will do the same.

If this is satisfactory then try using GCT again to remove Nero 8 and then check the register as wither recommends in all his suggestion about the removal of earlier suites.

+Quote Post
wither
post Jul 27 2010, 11:37 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Running the general clean tool just removes those things that will enable you to install a different version up to V9. It wouldn't matter with V10 because it uses a Windows msi and, for the most part, tolerates older versions of Nero that are installed. I have both V9 and V10 installed and they get along just fine. If you use the Windows Uninstaller for any software, it doesn't clean the registry or your hard drive of all things related to the software you're uninstalling. Never has. Sometimes, that's a good thing.

It you want to get rid of all things related to version 8, you'll just have to delete everything yourself. I have remnants of all kinds of software I've uninstalled on my hard drive and in the registry. I just don't take the time to clean them out.

This post has been edited by wither: Jul 28 2010, 03:24 PM

+Quote Post
BeBiMa
post Jul 28 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,174,351

The Windows Uninstaller depends on an uninstall tool for the program to be uninstalled.
Most program come only with a complete install routine, for uninstall they go a "conservative way": in doubt leave an entry in the system hoping not to destroy something.
Nero Suite is of that kind, unfortunately.
Whether this is true for version 10 too, I don't know.

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Jul 28 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,466,818

Hi ForeverUnchained,

as wither said, you will have to remove the left entries manually. To delete all Nero 8 files check the following paths:

1. Delete Nero from the directory "Programs", if applicable.
2. Delete Nero from the directory "Common files", if applicable.
3. Delete the files stored in the folder "Temp" in the directory "Local settings".
4. Delete Nero from the registry, if applicable. To delete Nero from the registry proceed with these steps:

Click "Start" in the Windows start menu.
Click the "Run" command.
Enter "regedit" in the "Open" text field and click the "OK" button.
First check if there is still the entry "Ahead" in the navigation tree on the left side of the window under the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\.
If that is the case, right-click the folder "Ahead" and select the entry "Delete" in the menu.
Then check if there is still the entry "Nero" in the navigation tree on the left side of the window under the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\.
If that is the case, right-click the folder "Nero" and select the entry "Delete" in the menu.
Now check if there is still the entry "Ahead" in the navigation tree on the left side of the window under the path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\.
If that is the case, right-click the folder "Ahead" and select the entry "Delete" in the menu.
Finally check if there is still the entry "Nero" in the navigation tree on the left side of the window under the path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\.
If that is the case, right-click the folder "Nero" and select the entry "Delete" in the menu.

Regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post
BeBiMa
post Jul 28 2010, 02:22 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,174,351

ZITAT(Infohelp @ Jul 28 2010, 12:51 PM) *
Hi ForeverUnchained,

as wither said, you will have to remove the left entries manually. To delete all Nero 8 files check the following paths:

1. Delete Nero from the directory "Programs", if applicable.
2. Delete Nero from the directory "Common files", if applicable.
3. Delete the files stored in the folder "Temp" in the directory "Local settings".
4. Delete Nero from the registry, if applicable. To delete Nero from the registry proceed with these steps:

Click "Start" in the Windows start menu.
Click the "Run" command.
Enter "regedit" in the "Open" text field and click the "OK" button.
First check if there is still the entry "Ahead" in the navigation tree on the left side of the window under the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\.
Then check if there is still the entry "Nero" in the navigation tree on the left side of the window under the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\.
Now check if there is still the entry "Ahead" in the navigation tree on the left side of the window under the path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\.
Finally check if there is still the entry "Nero" in the navigation tree on the left side of the window under the path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\.

Regards,

Infohelp

That is quite a good algorithm to do the rest of the uninstall job.
Why isn't it programmed to do it automatically?
I never found in the system requirements a statement like " very good knownledge of places where files and registry entries are stored".

+Quote Post
wither
post Jul 28 2010, 03:22 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

That's a good question for Nero and every other piece of software out there. Did you ever download some little app that you decided you didn't want after all? So you uninstall it. Later when you're looking at your registry or hard drive for something else, you run across entries for that little app. My system is full of this kind of stuff and often I don't know if I can delete it because it doesn't use the app name. In my previous post I originally said "I just take the time to clean them out". Wrong. I meant to say "I just don't take the time to clean them out".

As I mentioned, sometimes it's a good thing.
If you uninstall say, V9 and then want to reinstall it, somehow the serial number is still there so you don't have to look for it (maybe not a big deal but it's nice).

This post has been edited by wither: Jul 28 2010, 03:24 PM

+Quote Post

Closed Topic