Start new topic
> Nero Cover Designer 10: double click on *.ncd files gives and error
Hamppe
post Jul 13 2010, 07:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,805,578

Hi there

I have just purchased Nero Multimedia Suite 10 and installed it (Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel Pentium, 4GB RAM). I purchased the box, so no download.

Everyting seems to work fine without one nasty detail (and I noted that this had been discussed in this forum already, but no solution): when I open the cover designer from the Nero Smart Start then it opens and I can open my old cover files *.ncd with the "Open" command.

However, if I want to take the "quick route" and double-click on the *.ncd file name then it gives an error and cover designer does not open.

I also updated the latest Nero SW update right after I installed the package. In order to avoid any problems I removed the Nero 9 Essentials (this one came with the computer hardware). But nothing helps.

Any ideas or news if there is a correction available?

Best regards

Hamppe

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Jul 13 2010, 03:33 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

You didn't have to uninstall V9.

What program is associated by default with the .ncd files in Windows Control Panel. If it's not CoverDesigner, then do the association.

+Quote Post
Hamppe
post Sep 15 2010, 05:48 AM
Post #3

Hei

I have checked and the file allocation .ncd to Nero Cover Designer is made. I still get the error: when I double click a .ncd file it does not open cover designer, but gives an error, even with the latest August software upgrade for the complete Nero 10 package.

When I first open cover designer and from within cover designer I open the file then it works, both with old ncd files made with previous versions and also with new ncd files made with Nero 10.

Any new ideas what could be the reason. Or is Nero still working on the topic? It is really annoying to use this workaround, I prefer the double click on the file name.

Have a nice day

Hamppe

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Sep 15 2010, 09:42 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8,784,165

QUOTE (Hamppe @ Sep 15 2010, 05:48 AM) *
Hei

I have checked and the file allocation .ncd to Nero Cover Designer is made. I still get the error: when I double click a .ncd file it does not open cover designer, but gives an error, even with the latest August software upgrade for the complete Nero 10 package.

Hi!

what error appears? Best hwat be, if you could attach the ncd file and a screenshot of the error message!

Greetings,Jens

+Quote Post
Hamppe
post Sep 29 2010, 06:06 AM
Post #5

Hi Jens

I have actually already sent the screenshot of the error message and the Nero cab file to your US techsupport. I received the response on 21st September that I only would need to upload the latest update versions of Nero 10. I checked this via ControlCenter and receive the information that I do have the latest version installed. Sent this back to US tech support, but no response yet. This is getting annoying.

Anyway, the error message is very simple: when I double click on any .ncd file (created with older Nero versions and/or created with Nero 10) then I get following error message: Error opening D:\Hanspeter. That's all. But as said, when I first open cover designer and from within cover designer then it works without problem. But of course, I like the short cut way with the double click. I also uploaded the screenshot file here.

Hope you can help me further here.

Hanspeter

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
BeBiMa
post Sep 29 2010, 07:48 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,174,351

Just a thought.
You uninstalled Nero 9. You checked the association of .ncd to Nero Cover Designer.
Have you tried the "right click, open with" procedure? Perhaps .ncd is associated with the non-existent old Cover Designer of Nero 9.
Have you tried to re-associate .ncd with Cover Designer?

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Sep 29 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Please go to:
Start -> Default Programs -> Associate a file type or protocol with a program

Please check the current default for the name .ncd

Greetings, Jens

+Quote Post
LittleHelperMJ
post Sep 29 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,743,891

Hi Hamppe,

I checked your log files that you sent us 09/15 and there I can see that there isn't the latest version of Nero 10 installed on your system. Please check for updates via the Nero ControlCenter and send us a new NeroSupport.cab file if you still experience the same problem.

+Quote Post
Hamppe
post Sep 29 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (LittleHelperMJ @ Sep 29 2010, 11:52 AM) *
Hi Hamppe,

I checked your log files that you sent us 09/15 and there I can see that there isn't the latest version of Nero 10 installed on your system. Please check for updates via the Nero ControlCenter and send us a new NeroSupport.cab file if you still experience the same problem.

Hi

yes, I checked via control center and control center informs that there is no newer version available, I tried this several times, also last Sunday. I have downloaded the latest version around end of August 2010. And I mentioned that in the reply I did (your confirmation Nero ID [5092042001]) when I received your response that I should update Nero via e-mail from Nero tech support (Nero ID [2708903002]). If it is not the latest version I have then Nero seems also to have a problem with the control center SW update, as said I always get the message that my SW package is up to date!

And an other thing is strange: I asked this morning via the Chat the status on my question above. And I got the response that this problem is recognized by Nero and I just should wait until the next version would be released.....really strange.

Sorry, but I start to doubt what Nero is doing, and I am surprised as long customer of this kind of a customer service. That does not leave a good impression.

Best regards

Hamppe

+Quote Post
wither
post Sep 29 2010, 03:57 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

You have the latest version. I don't know if tech support was responding for Nero in place of a e-mail response or not so I would go back with another e-mail as they requested. I have noticed that sometimes I can't open a file using the Open option but I can if I go Edit\Add Files. I see the same thing in V9 (it's insert files in V9)..

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Sep 29 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hamppe @ Sep 29 2010, 03:42 PM) *
Hi

yes, I checked via control center and control center informs that there is no newer version available

Please remember: The answer was to your log from 9/15 - so maybe it is outdated - our it was simply an old log.

To short it up:
a) Have you check the "default programms" settings in windows, like i ask you before
b) What version of Nero Cover Designer you have installed?
Just click on Help->About

Greetings, Jens

+Quote Post
Hamppe
post Sep 29 2010, 05:04 PM
Post #12

Hi Jens

the cover designer version installed is: 5.0.11300.17.100

And yes, the default programm settings I have checked and it is linked to this cover designer version.

Regards, Hamppe

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Sep 29 2010, 05:19 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hamppe @ Sep 29 2010, 05:04 PM) *
Hi Jens

the cover designer version installed is: 5.0.11300.17.100

And yes, the default programm settings I have checked and it is linked to this cover designer version.

Regards, Hamppe

OK, thanks, so we are at the same config now.

a) Does this happen for all ncd files (also for new created files with n10 cover editor) or only with some special ncd files?

b) Please open regedit an go to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Nero.CoverDesigner.10.ncd.1\shell\Open\command

Please make a screenshot of this regkey...

Greetings, Jens

+Quote Post
Hamppe
post Sep 29 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #14

Hi again

it happens both with old version created .ncd files as well as with files created with version 10.

I have added the regeditor screenshot. Actually, I noted that there is also the old version 9 still in the registry. Could that be the problem (I believe not, but you never know)?

Regards, Hamppe
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
wither
post Sep 30 2010, 03:05 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I can reproduce this problem. I just created a V10 cover design using the Standard box and just added a block with some text in it and saved it as an .ncd. If I double click on the .ncd file, it gives me an error that the file is an unrecognized format. I can open it in Cover Designer using File\Open or the Open icon on the tool bar.

I did the same thing in v9, and it opens in the V9 Cover Designer when I double click on the .ncd file.

Note that I have a problem on my system with V10 in that it will not override V9 in the AutoPlay options. This was reported to tech support in April (there's a thread on it also) and I was told it was low priority. I don't know if this has an affect on what I found above.

I'm using 64 bit Vista. My registry entry looks like the one above except the one above is not expanded so I can't tell if everything is the same.

This post has been edited by wither: Sep 30 2010, 03:08 AM

+Quote Post
BeBiMa
post Sep 30 2010, 09:09 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Very curious. I don't have this registry entry, but a double click on .ncd file opens CoverDesigner 10. I have also installed Nero 8 and did a custom install of Nero 10.

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Sep 30 2010, 09:51 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

@Hamppe:
Very strange, indeed.
I have tried to reproduce this - but for me, it always works.

From your screenshot, i think it could have something to do with the pathname.
a) What is the full pathname of you .ncd file?

b) What happends if you store the .ncd file to another folder?
Please try a "basic" folder without spaces and special characters - only like: "C:\test"

c) For the Reg-Settings:
Please again look at:

What exactly is the content of the default value? (In the screenshot, it was cut, cause of to small row)

@BeBiMa:
If i remember correctly, you running Windows XP? In XP, file associates are internally stored a little different.

Greetings, Jens

+Quote Post
BeBiMa
post Sep 30 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

@jens-f:
No, I'm using Vista Home 32 Bit.

+Quote Post
Hamppe
post Sep 30 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (jens-f @ Sep 30 2010, 09:51 AM) *
@Hamppe:
Very strange, indeed.
I have tried to reproduce this - but for me, it always works.

From your screenshot, i think it could have something to do with the pathname.
a) What is the full pathname of you .ncd file?

b) What happends if you store the .ncd file to another folder?
Please try a "basic" folder without spaces and special characters - only like: "C:\test"

c) For the Reg-Settings:
Please again look at:
What exactly is the content of the default value? (In the screenshot, it was cut, cause of to small row)

@BeBiMa:
If i remember correctly, you running Windows XP? In XP, file associates are internally stored a little different.

Greetings, Jens

Hi Jens

interesting indeed. The path name is as follows: d:\hanspeterkunz\MyDocuments\CDCovers\xxx.ncd.

D: is on my computers internal hard disk. As I am in the office right now I will have to check later at home your proposal of saving the file to a very simple named folder on c:\

Registry settings: I have to re-look at this when I am at home. What exactly was cut from the screen shot? I think there is everything there.

Regards, Hamppe

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Sep 30 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Hi!

It seems i found the reason.

On some installations (at the moment i don't know why only on some), the key for the extension is written wrong:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Nero.CoverDesigner.10.nct.1\shell\Open\command
Here the the value for default is:

"<Programm Folder>\Nero\Nero 10\Nero CoverDesigner\CoverDes.exe" %1
for example on a default windows 7 installation it is:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero 10\Nero CoverDesigner\CoverDes.exe" %1

The problem is, that the quotations around the %1 are missing.
So, when clicking on a file that contains a space inside the name, it is expaned to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero 10\Nero CoverDesigner\CoverDes.exe" c:\This is a folder\Test.ncd

As you could imagine, this cannot work, as a space divides commands -- so only c:\This is taken as filename - and of cause this could not be found.

As a quick solution, just add the quotations around the %1.
So just change:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero 10\Nero CoverDesigner\CoverDes.exe" %1

to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero 10\Nero CoverDesigner\CoverDes.exe" "%1"

I will continue to check, under what conditions this wrong key is created.

@Hamppe:
please report, if on your system this really was the problem and if adding quotation marks has solved it for you.

Greetings, Jens

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed Topic