Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Adding copy protection when burning dvd
rocket-pc
post Sep 23 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,933,824

Dear friends at Nero, I would like to add copy protection when burning a DVD. Is there a simple method of adding some extra file before burning the DVD that would prevent easy copying of my DVD? I know that copy protection is unpopular, and often fails to prevent copying, but I believe it is neccessary to make an effort to protect these files, anyway.

Thank you for your interest and attention to help me on this subject.

[/size]

[size="3"]Don

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dr.Nero
post Sep 23 2008, 03:07 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,163,371

Hi rocket-pc,

as far as I know it is not possible to create a copy protected disc using Nero. But you can use an other software to do this, such as LazerLock or SecuROM.

+Quote Post
ManWithAnswers
post Sep 23 2008, 08:11 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,143,291

Hi Rocket-PC,

We can not copy protect a CD or DVD Created with Nero, but there are third party programs that you can use in conjunction with Nero that can accomplish this.

Or....Nero has a feature called 'SecurDisc'. A long as you have a Recorder that has the 'SecurDisc' logo (Currently only LG recorders but others will soon follow), you can protect any data on a DVD or CD data disc you create with this feature. You can password protect all the files or select files and folders. And there are a number of addition security steps in this feature as well. The SecurDisc feature can be used in Nero Express or Nero Burning ROM, but only shows up if you have Recorder connectd that supports SecurDisc feature

Regards,

Craig

+Quote Post
rocket-pc
post Sep 24 2008, 03:32 AM
Post #4

Thank you to the people here for your replies on this thread. Thanks for pointing out to me the SecurDisc feature. After doing a google search I found at Nero, <http://www.nero.com/enu/technologies-securdisc.html> that SecurDisc technology is integrated in Nero 8 Ultra Edition.

I hope there isn't a complex procedure for using SecurDisc in burning disks. All that I was interested in was a method of adding a file that that trips an attempt at copying the disk (a corrupted file, a foreign file of some sort). I am not concerned about making high security style of disks.

Anyway, maybe I should just upgrade from Nero 7 to Nero 8 or buy Nero. I hope Nero 8 includes Showtime Mobile - software for smartphones and pocket computers.

Don

+Quote Post
rocket-pc
post Sep 24 2008, 03:57 AM
Post #5

Correction on a small typographical error. I had said, "maybe I should just upgrade from Nero 7 to Nero 8 or buy Nero. " I meant to say, "or buy Nero 8". Incidently, maybe I should begin yet another thread or upgrading or buying another edition of Nero. If I upgrade, I believe I'll have the same serial number, if I buy the new edition, I'll actually have two copies of Nero, offering for me to get support on Nero on a second computer. I doubt, though, that Nero is concerned about using a single edition on multiple computers, as long as they are my computers.

Don

+Quote Post
ManWithAnswers
post Sep 24 2008, 03:33 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Hi Rocket-PC,

Our 'Nero Mobile' feature has been discontinued in Nero 8, as we did not make any real traction or interest in that area. We may come back to it at a later date if interest changes.

The Use of SecurDisc is very easy, and does not require any 'learning curve' as it were. And can be easily figured out without any help manuals by anyone. If you have an LG recorder already, that has the 'SecurDisc' logo on it, I would recommend that you download a Trial version of Nero 8 first and test with the LG drive to make sure this feature meets your needs. ( I recommend a system without Nero 7 already installed, or use the Nero Clean Tool to remove Nero 7 first after you have copied your Nero 7 serial key to a secure location so that you can reinstall later)

The nice feature of 'SecurDisc' is that you can have two or more folders or Files protected, while still containing other content that is unsecured for all to see and view. And if you do decide to purchase an upgrade to Nero 8, be sure to look for the 'Special Deals' we regularly offer on our website. Or since Nero 9 is soon to hit the shelves, you may want to wait for that release, or better yet, look for special sales of Nero 8 at your local retail store, as they try to clear their shelves of Nero 8 before Nero 9 is released in Mid October.

Regards,

Craig

+Quote Post
rocket-pc
post Sep 25 2008, 07:20 AM
Post #7

I use Nero Showtime Mobile on my Dell Axim x51v pocket pc nearly every day for viewing mp4s during lunch or household chores and other. I had it installed on the ppc before the program had been installed, as you say it has. All I use it for is mp4s, and manually navigate to play the movie titles. I believe there was some problem when I tried playing music on it when I tried a long time ago. Its been a good, sturdy program, anyway. Since it appeared that some features of the program had been disactivated, I had asked Nero (a year or so ago) if I was entitled to the full program with my purchase of Nero 7 or had to purchase separatly. There was also the confusion if Nero 7 and Nero 7 Ultra, etc were the same thing, or if I was entitled to the other if I had one. Uncertain about the issues, I just used the program the way it was. Hope it is included with the next upgrade. (with midi support?)

Thank you for your honesty informing me that Nero edition 9 shall be out soon, rather than getting me to purchase the one going out. I think I should get the Nero 9 in a couple weeks. However, it won't be on sale, but I'll get it if it stays at 99 dollars or less.

Good chatting with you people.

Don

+Quote Post
ManWithAnswers
post Sep 26 2008, 12:34 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Just to be clear, when I said there was 'no interest in Nero ShowTime Mobile', I meant from the Mobile companies. :)

If we can find an OEM with enough interest, there is always the possibility we might revisit the product and bring it back. But no development is being done on it. And Nero 7 and Nero 7 Ultra are the same. THe Nero 7 Ultra Edition is the name we use for the US market, and the other is for the EMEA market. As long as it did not say Nero 7 Essentials, which is not a Retail version but an OEM bundled version and which has limited features. One of which was not coming with Nero ShowTime Mobile.

The cost of Nero 9 Retail product will remain the same, at $99.99 US dollars. And for the first few months of it's live I doubt our marketing team will provide any discounts. But after a few months, I'm sure any Nero 7 or Nero 8 user will be offered a discount to upgrade to Nero 9. I can not recommend what you should do, but I think you can figure that out for yourself. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Craig

+Quote Post
rocket-pc
post Sep 27 2008, 02:24 AM
Post #9

If Nero Showtime Mobile does return, and you have influence on its development, I have a suggestion: to include support of midi files.

A couple years ago, I had been looking for a media player that would play midis files. I believe there are some that do this, but those don't also support video files. Nero Showtime Mobile did not support midis files; is a reason I did not pursue getting the product separatly (if it were separate).

I am uncertain how midis are read and played by a computer. One explanation I read somewhere is that midis involve the sound card, playing sounds on it like a piano. If this were true, it would be impossible to play midis on a pocket pc. However, I have seen players that claim they play exclusively midi file on some pocket computers.

It would be cool if Nero Showtime Mobile supported midis files. A midi file takes about 15 to 30 kilobytes of memory, whereas an mp3 takes three or four megabytes. You can get thousands of them on a 1GB SD card. If a person can tolerate mono and poor quality, it is still a very cool way to play novelty tunes.

Don

+Quote Post
rocket-pc
post Oct 17 2008, 01:23 AM
Post #10

Hi, This past week, I purchased the download version of Nero 9. Browsing through the features, I don't see SecurDisc. Can anybody tell me where SecurDisc is located? Can SecurDisc been used in making a video DVD?

Don

+Quote Post
rocket-pc
post Oct 23 2008, 08:29 AM
Post #11

Dear Craig,

I have been conversing with you on this thread, a few weeks ago about adding copy protection when burning DVDs.

You explained to me that a feature of Nero - SecurDisc - could be used in burning copy protection with an LG drive. After purchasing and downloading Nero 9, I could not find SecurDisc. When I sent an email to Nero support about this, they told me that SecurDisc had not been included with Nero 9. I replied, complaining about this, with no reply from them.

So what do you think about this? I believe this is a poor business practice. I had purchased Nero 9 based on information provided to me, prior to the purchase, of the Nero website and by support (including this Nero forum). (Note the attachment: The website states that SecurDisc is "integrated into Nero 9"). Do you have influence on Nero to persuade them to include a SecurDisc software download? If you can't, is it possible that I can get a refund of my purchase? I had installed Nero 9 from a download.

In addition to this, I am experiencing problems with Nero: 1) Twice, there has been blue screens (crashs) after launching Nero 9. 2) Nero Recode does not have the option of converting DVDs/video to Mobile, as Nero 7 did. (It only had two options of AVC and Standard, with no other options below it, either.) Therefore, I may be better off using Nero 7 (although its media player is lousy.)

So, what is your suggestions? I hope that they would reconsider putting SecurDisc back into Nero 9. I would keep the program if it did, without hassling Nero and try to figure out solutions to the other problems. Without SecurDisc, it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Don

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
gumbawumba
post Oct 24 2008, 11:27 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 8,307,777

Hi Craig, I'm surprised to hear that Support told you that SecurDisc is not included, as this is wrong.
Nero 9 of course supports SecurDisc CD and DVD compilations and if your drive supports SecurDisc (It should have the SecurDisc logo on the tray),
you should have the option to create a SecurDisc CD or DVD (depending on your recorder) compilation in Nero Burning ROM and Nero Express.

+Quote Post
rocket-pc
post Oct 25 2008, 10:15 AM
Post #13

I sure hope thats true. I would like to use SecurDisc. I get a LG DVD drive somewhere, if neccessary. Otherwise, I am going to ask Nero to refund the purchase - and may expect alot of hassle on that, because the purchase was by download. They have stated on their website and on this forum that SecurDisc would be in Nero 9.

If it does have SecurDisc, I have yet to find evidence of it in the program.

Don

+Quote Post
gumbawumba
post Oct 25 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 8,307,777

I can guarantee you that LightScribe is still available in Nero 9, see the attached screenshots ;-)
Also make sure that you select the correct drive - if you have multiple drives in your system and the currently selected one does not support SecurDisc the SecurDisc compilations will not be visible.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
rocket-pc
post Nov 1 2008, 03:41 PM
Post #15

Okay, picking up on something said here last week, you said that Showtime Mobile had been discontinued. I hope that doesn't mean also that the mobile selection in Nero Recode has been removed? What I am talking about is, in Nero 7, I could Import a DVD into Recode and then select a size of file to convert it. There were about five choices: --, Cinema, Standard, Portable and Mobile. In Nero 9, the only choices that are there are AVC and Standard. Had I been looking in the wrong place, need to update the Nero 9 or has Nero removed that option? Please explain, if you have a moment.

Thank you.

Don

+Quote Post

Closed Topic