Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Install On Windows Server 2008 R2 Fails
KernelMode
post May 30 2010, 12:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,782,123

Hi, Nero 10 is failing to install on Server 2008 R2 x64 (Windows 7).

I had to purchase Roxio instead which installs (and works) perfectly on my server. I was wondering why Nero InstallShield designers blocked the identical kernel to Windows 7 x64? Yet, they let the Linux fanboys play with it?

Seems totally silly for what *was* a technically switched on company to exclude all us high tech developers that use Windows Server 2008 (Vista) or 2008 R2 (Windows 7) as our main workstation.

What a waste of money. I had to install it (Nero 10) on a virtual machine where it behaved ok except for the lousy graphics.

Should I be so lucky as to have a Nero engineer look at this post - could they kindly please send me a workaround? I can fully open the MSI(s) in InstallShield 2010. But I can't imediately see where to change any 'conditions' to let it install on Server 2008 R2.

Thanks.

KM

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post May 30 2010, 12:55 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

What problem are you having when you try to install?

Did you turn off anti-virus (which one are you using)?

You might also try setting UAC at it's lowest level.

+Quote Post
KernelMode
post May 30 2010, 01:08 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,782,123

Wow, that was quick!

What happened - Well, I forget exactly. But the last component failed to install. Something called a Reboot Validation thingy.

Then a box came up saying I "need to use XP at least" - something like that.

I will need to try again and record what happens. If you are interested? I have a Server 2008 R2 virtual I could try it on? I could Acronis image my actual PC and give Nero another go. But to prove the point I'll try the VM first and post back what I exactly get. I am the Administrator so UAC is OFF when I launch the instaler 'elevated' privs. are granted automatically. Note I am the Adminstrator (not just member of Admins group).

PC = Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5, Windows NT 6.1 x64 (Server R2 Enterprise)=(Windows 7 x64), 5 TB of Disk 12GB of stable Kingston 1066 RAM.

KM

+Quote Post
wither
post May 30 2010, 01:23 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

All the Reboot Validator does is check to see if your system needs to be rebooted as part of the install. It is installed before the Install Shield starts so I'm surprised that you got an error later in the install unless it can't reboot your system.

I don't have Win 7 but I didn't think you could turn off UAC completely like you can in Vista. I guess it's the administrator rights that you have.

You didn't say anything about your AV. Some of them like Bit Torrent do interfere.

Before you do the install, you might also want to run the Windows Disk Cleanup tool and reboot.

When you do an install, there is a installation log file that is stored in your temporary files folder. If the install fails, you can always post that file.

How do Server versions differ from the standard Vista or Win 7? Just curious. I could go look it up.

I'm done for the evening. Time for a beer and cigar.

This post has been edited by wither: May 30 2010, 01:32 AM

+Quote Post
drwtsn32
post Jun 6 2010, 11:48 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,789,590

I can't get Nero 9 to install on 2008 R2, either. After the Nero Patcher is installed, the next screen simply displays an "Installation Failed" message.

When I check the Nero log files, it says it failed when trying to create a System Restore point. 2008 R2 does not have that feature at all.

Any way around this? The Nero installer could be modified to ignore this error.

+Quote Post
Guest_ploughman_*
post Jun 7 2010, 01:33 AM
Post #6

Guests

wither

This query has nothing to do with Server 2008

But has prompted me to question about 'Nero Patcher and other requested routines' If these installation has already been done why are they repeated.

This occurred when I overlay-ed Nero 9.4.39 on 9.4.26, not(b), and yes the overlay can be done as the installed removes the previous version before installing the new version, thus apparent keeping the ser no: and accepting that the 'TOOLBAR' was not required.

drwtsn32

From previous viewing of the FORUM nero only visit it occasionally. Thus I would suggest that you try their Support Department either by email or via the CHAT LINE. You will find the respective info elsewhere in the FORUM

This post has been edited by ploughman: Jun 7 2010, 01:39 AM

+Quote Post
wither
post Jun 7 2010, 02:34 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Why wouldn't Server 2008 have the same features as Win 7 or Vista. The latter two both have System Restore. Since Nero doesn't list the Server versions in the System Requirements, I would go to tech support as suggested by Ploughman. If you do, please let us know the resolution.

I have no idea what the Nero patcher is. It's been mentioned by numerous people but I haven't looked into it. Are we just talking about the update file?

+Quote Post
drwtsn32
post Jun 7 2010, 02:44 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (wither @ Jun 7 2010, 02:34 AM) *
Why wouldn't Server 2008 have the same features as Win 7 or Vista. The latter two both have System Restore.

It's a feature intended for home users only, and therefore is disabled in 2008 and 2008 R2.

QUOTE (wither @ Jun 7 2010, 02:34 AM) *
I have no idea what the Nero patcher is. It's been mentioned by numerous people but I haven't looked into it. Are we just talking about the update file?

The patcher is something the installer does before installing the main components. Not sure what it does either...

I will try contacting Nero support. I have heard on another forum that Nero 10 installs ok on 2008 R2. I will also try that...

+Quote Post
drwtsn32
post Jun 7 2010, 03:23 AM
Post #9

I emailed tech support...we'll see what they say.

BTW, Nero 10 does not install on R2 unless you remove the "LaunchConditions" from the MSI files.

+Quote Post
wither
post Jun 7 2010, 03:37 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

I understand what you're saying. The patcher is the part of the installation routine as in V10 which installs the Reboot Validator and all the other required Microsoft files before actually starting the Nero installation.

Thanks for the clarification on the Server. By it's name, I assume it's for a server but had no idea what features are enabled. That's why I asked earlier what the differences are between the Server version and the standalones.

If you're timing is right, you can catch tech support at the chat line. They're on GMT 1 and I'm on DST so I have to catch them before 1:00 PM my time.

+Quote Post
avaholic
post Jun 8 2010, 09:50 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,790,745

drwatson : 'BTW, Nero 10 does not install on R2 unless you remove the "LaunchConditions" from the MSI files.'

Can you please give me instructions on how to remove said launchconditions from the MSI files? I have tried to install Nero 10 on my Server 2k8 R2 workstation and get the error(s) posted above.

I actually asked tech support the same question and their response was:

Unfortunately, Nero 10 does not support Windows Server 2008. Please take a minute to review the minimum system requirements of this program from here:

http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero10-system-requirements.html

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best Regards

Jenny Fang

Nero Support

Thanks,

Chris

+Quote Post
drwtsn32
post Jun 9 2010, 02:12 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (avaholic @ Jun 8 2010, 09:50 PM) *
Can you please give me instructions on how to remove said launchconditions from the MSI files?

ORCA lets you modify MSI databases. (Search for Orca.msi to install the tool -- It is a Microsoft tool.)

Nero 10 uses a separate MSI for every component, so you must drop the row(s) from the LaunchCondition table in each. It's somewhat of a pain. (edit to add: join the Win2008workstation.com forum -- someone there already did the work. ;)

And Nero tech support gave me the same reply.

This post has been edited by drwtsn32: Jun 9 2010, 02:13 PM

+Quote Post
matyasjani
post Jul 5 2010, 09:59 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 8,803,128

I have to correct the last entry. If you delete all rows from the LaunchCondition table, the installer will complain that it cannot SELECT from the LaunchCondition table. Instead, you have to modify this condition:

Not (Version9X Or VersionNT<=500 Or (VersionNT=501 And ServicePackLevel<3) Or (VersionNT=502 And ServicePackLevel<3) Or (VersionNT=600 And Not ServicePackLevel) Or Not MsiNTProductType=1)

to this:

Not (Version9X Or VersionNT<=500 Or (VersionNT=501 And ServicePackLevel<3) Or (VersionNT=502 And ServicePackLevel<3) Or (VersionNT=600 And Not ServicePackLevel))

You have to do this for all of the msi files. (The bold sequence ensures that the installer will run only on workstations - MsiNTProductType is 2 for a domain controller, and 3 for a regular server.)

Otherwise, the step-by-step instructions are the following:

1. Start the installer.
  2. When it displays the dialog that Nero cannot be installed on Windows Server 2008 R2, do the following:
    1. Locate the Nero installer content in the Local Settings\Temp folder in the current user profile (the folder name is a generated one containing the "NERO" string somewhere). The folder is about 1.4 GB in size.
    2. Copy that content to a different folder.
    3. Click Ok to close the installer.
  3. Install the Orca MSI editor, if it's not installed yet (part of Windows SDK, so it's freely available, I enclosed it for convenience), then run it.
  4. Open the master and child msi files one by one, and edit the condition according to what is mentioned above (the LaunchCondition table is in the list on the left, if you click on it, on the right you will see usually only a single row, except the DiskCopyGadget, where there are two rows - that tool can be installed only on 32-bit systems).
  5. Start the installer. It could be possible that the master installer runs into an infinite loop (that happened on my machine); in this case run the child installers one after one. When you do the installation with the child installers, after installing the tools, don't forget to add the Nero serial by using Nero ControlCenter.

This post has been edited by matyasjani: Jul 5 2010, 10:03 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Orca.zip ( 1.91MB ) Number of downloads: 12655

+Quote Post
wither
post Jul 5 2010, 03:08 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Just asking- do you have to do this again when V10 is updated?

+Quote Post
matyasjani
post Jul 7 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 8,803,128

What do you mean on "when V10 is updated" ? If there will be a V11 or something like that with a new installer, or you obtain a different installer, you have to do the steps again. Maybe Nero will support the Windows Server line in future releases.

If you use Nero Update, the updates install without any problem. (I ran it once after installing the whole Multimedia Suite, it found two updates and did the installation without any complains.) Hopefully the guys at Nero didn't build any OS check into the updates :)

This post has been edited by matyasjani: Jul 7 2010, 10:48 AM

+Quote Post

Closed Topic