Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Issue Converting DVD to MP4
Bugs63
post Apr 29 2010, 12:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,303,106

I've got the whole collection of Harry Potter currently recorded in 2 channel stereo, so I decided to rerecord them in 5.1 surround sound.

Keep in mind I'm going from a retail DVD9 Region 1 (Chamber of Secret, Prisoner of Azkaban) to (Mp4 AVC/AAC) format) I'm leaving the bit rate at the analyzed import setting, which is different for each movie.

If I leave all the settings are their defaults and attempt to create an MP4 the movie will play like (Sh%@8~) if you get my meaning. On the default settings the video will strobe along almost stuttering at a pulse pounding rate then suddenly switch to normal and back again! In other-words totally unwatchable. Recode has had this problem for the past 3 versions and I keep hoping the next version will solve it but obviously not yet! What's up? Why is this problem still there? and is Nero dedicated enough to actually fix this issue or is this a problem too difficult for recode to handle?

OK, I just needed to vent a little because I just paid to upgrade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only what I know to get around this issue is to enter the Video/Settings/Frame options then select the "Motion-adaptive" option. Unfortunately the "Motion-adaptive" option is slows the conversion to a crawl and only does an OK job after completing. There's still minor glitches in the playback but not nearly as nice as it would have been if it only converted properly to begin with!!!

Sorry if I sound a little upset but I've been using Nero Recode for over 6 years and would really like to resolve this issue once and for all.

If anyone has had this problem and knows I'm doing something wrong I'd appreciate any input. Feel free to ask any questions about the conversion. Just and FYI no I didn't get any errors in the log file.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mondenath
post Apr 29 2010, 02:32 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,227,176

do copy the video_ts folder to hdd and import to recode from hdd

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 29 2010, 03:18 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

If the video is copyrighted or DRM protected, you won't be able to do anything with it.

There have been a number of people who have tried to import MP4 into Vision and can't. It's a codec thing. The fix is to Recode them to Nero Digital (Mpeg-4). You're doing just the opposite. If my first statement doesn't apply, try Recoding them to Nero Digital.

This post has been edited by wither: Apr 29 2010, 03:55 PM

+Quote Post
Bugs63
post Apr 29 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #4

I use AnyDVD or DVDFab to copy my DVD to HD before converting to speed up the conversion process.

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 29 2010, 04:36 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

As I mentioned, MP4 problems are a codec thing that Nero is aware of. I don't know if they're going to do anything about it. That's why I gave you their recommended fix.

It's also hard to say if the conversion in the other programs is compatible with Nero.

+Quote Post
Bugs63
post Apr 30 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #6

I must be missing something! When I wrote that I'm using Recode and that I was converting to MP4 (AVC/AAC) format is that same as Recoding them to Nero Digital.
AVC/AAC is a digital format after all right?

So, just to make things clear I am converting DVD (Video_TS folder located on my HD) to Nero Digital (AVC/AAC) (.MP4).

Currently I'm running Windows 7 x64 but I tried doing this conversion on multiple computers with different hardware configurations using different versions of Windows as well as different versions of Nero with the exact same outcome. I could easily convert these movies using "CloneDVD mobile by Slysoft" which does the job but it does not support internal subs with is very important to me.

I would just really like to see a good solution to solve this ongoing problem. On the average I see this issue in 1 out of every 10 movies and it's a pain to have to enable adaptive-motion every time it comes up.

+Quote Post
Sudds
post Apr 30 2010, 07:31 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,212,463

What are you viewing the movies on?
There is a difference between Nero Digital and Nero Digital AVC bugs.

Nero Digital format is based on MPEG-4 Part 2 also commonly referred to as ASP Active Simple Profile.

Nero Digital AVC is named for the Advanced Video Coding standard designated as MPEG-4 Part 10 or H.264, AVC is generally at least twice as efficient as MPEG-2 for the same quality.

+Quote Post
Bugs63
post May 1 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #8

Thanks for reminding me that Nero supports both standards. I guess I'm so use to using the default AVC that I neglected to remember the old standby!

Just to let you know that I did try the older "Nero Digital" profile as well as "Nero Digital AVC" and it made no difference in either case. The video still acted up unless I selected the "Motion-adaptive" option. I did however notice an additional issue with the "Nero Digital AVC", it seems that the Audio cuts off in the middle of the sixth chapter of the "Chamber of Secrets" movie. I also ran into this problem with "Sorcerer's Stone" too, but this issue only pop up in the Recode version included with Nero 10, and yes I did run the new update feature to make sure I had the most recent available downloads.

Is there anyway that hardware could play a role in any of these problems?

My config:

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Video: nVIDIA GeForce 8800
Ram: Mushkin 2GB DDR2-1066
MB: Asus P5E
CPU: QX6700

----------------------------------
I know it's an older config but is there's something that could be upgraded to help the process I all open to suggestions.

Thanks.

+Quote Post
wither
post May 1 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I don't see anything wrong with your configuration other than the RAM is a little light. It just makes things slower.

What type of audio does the videos have?

I would report the audio problem to tech support.

+Quote Post
Blutox
post May 3 2010, 06:44 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,765,498

I had a similar issue with Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I ripped the movie with DVD Fab 7 to my hard drive as a DVD9 so it wouldn't be compressed further. I noticed an obvious stutter in the movie after I recoded it to mp4 with Nero. Here is what I did to fix it.

Set to Nero Digital and Nero AVC

Press encoder button and change the quality to best.

Under the video->settings->frame rate. Change to custom and select the target frame rate that matches the source frame rate. This I feel fixed the problem because by default the program was recoding an NTSC movie at 29.97 fps to a lesser frame rate of 24.xxx fps.

Under Audio I changed it to AC3(copy from source) because AA3 did not play well on my WD Live.

I increased the file size to custom 4,000 mb and checked fit to target. (Disk space is not an issue for me).

I hope this helps.

+Quote Post
doove
post May 4 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,744,491

QUOTE (Bugs63 @ Apr 29 2010, 04:30 PM) *
I use AnyDVD or DVDFab to copy my DVD to HD before converting to speed up the conversion process.

Thanks, you very helped me.

+Quote Post
Bugs63
post May 10 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Blutox @ May 3 2010, 06:44 PM) *
I had a similar issue with Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I ripped the movie with DVD Fab 7 to my hard drive as a DVD9 so it wouldn't be compressed further. I noticed an obvious stutter in the movie after I recoded it to mp4 with Nero. Here is what I did to fix it.

Set to Nero Digital and Nero AVC

Press encoder button and change the quality to best.

Under the video->settings->frame rate. Change to custom and select the target frame rate that matches the source frame rate. This I feel fixed the problem because by default the program was recoding an NTSC movie at 29.97 fps to a lesser frame rate of 24.xxx fps.

Under Audio I changed it to AC3(copy from source) because AA3 did not play well on my WD Live.

I increased the file size to custom 4,000 mb and checked fit to target. (Disk space is not an issue for me).

I hope this helps.

When I compare Mp4's created without issues with the ones that required adjusting the framerate and such I couldn't help but noticed a difference. It's seems the movies created using the default settings played more smoothly than the ones that required setting changes. If you go with the default framerate and select the Motion-adaptive option it appears to play smoother. Just keep in mind I'm only talking about videos that have the stuttering problem on playback.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic