Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Reboot Validator Link NEEDED
tecknomage
post Apr 7 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,739,929

This has to do with installing NERO software on a standalone system.

Due to DoD Security Requirements, our target system cannot be on a network (no network cable connected).

We want to install NERO BackItUp & Burn but it asks for additional files to be downloaded during install process:

1. MSI 4.5 WinXP
  2. MS Visual C Redistributable 2005
  3. Reboot Validator
Files #1 & 2 can be download from MS, but Reboot Validator is a NERO file. There are NO download links on NERO's Support pages that I could find :angry:

NERO should have download links for ALL add-on software required by their products on their Support pages, including the 3 above <_<

What do you think?

This post has been edited by tecknomage: Apr 7 2010, 07:12 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 7 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

What operating system are you using and is it up-to-date? There is no reboot validator for download at nero.com and it could be the Windows Validator giving this message.

The need for the 2005 redistributable package as well as .net framework 3.0 are, I believe, assumed to be installed as part of the Nero operating system system requirements. I'm not sure that the .net file is required for Backitup and Burn but it is for the Nero suite and that may be due to the inclusion of Backitup in the Suite.

Also, did you disable your anti-virus before you tried the install?

This post has been edited by wither: Apr 7 2010, 11:59 PM

+Quote Post
tecknomage
post Apr 8 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,739,929

First, there is nothing wrong with the system and I already know about the first 2 items on the list.

All 3 items are downloaded when you run ANY new NERO software installer, including BackItUp & Burn.

The Reboot Validator is a NERO tool and the problem IS they do not have a download link at their site!! This is why I posted this thread.

I am trying to get NERO to put download links (the same ones their installers use) on their Support WEB page for ALL add-ons required by NERO software.

The problem is ONLY the installer downloads the add-ons via network, which is why we cannot install NERO on the target stand-alone (non-networked) PC. We have no choice for this system.

This post has been edited by tecknomage: Apr 8 2010, 10:05 PM

+Quote Post
PracticalPigCH
post Apr 9 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,748,197

Hello Technomage,

At first I want to clarify soem details about the downloads. If the installer does not contain the prerequisites or if those cannot be installed correctly, the installer will try to download them automatically. If this will fail, too, the best solution is to download them manually.

I understood your first post as such that you already downloaded the MSI and VC Redist from Microsoft, but in your second post it seems that you either did not download them or that the manual installation failed. Could you clarify this?
If you did not install the packages manually, I suggest to do this before.
Download them from:
MSI:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4
VC
Redist: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647

Of course - since we have at the moment no information about your system - you should check before installation if the tools provided on these links are compatible with your system.
After installing these two modules, start the installation of Nero BackItUp &amp; Burn again.

Best regards

The Practical Pig

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 9 2010, 03:49 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Very interesting. When I got Backitup and Burn, I just downloaded it from the Nero.com website and installed it without being connected to the web. I connected later to register. I know some people use an installer from the web for the Suite but I don't know where it is.

I talked to technical support about this issue today and rather than possibly making a misstatement, I'll leave it to practicalpigch.

This post has been edited by wither: Apr 9 2010, 05:55 PM

+Quote Post
ncc1701e
post Apr 16 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,754,015

You don't need to download the Reboot Validator separately, it is always included in the installer.
Its only purpose is to check if a reboot is needed before proceeding with the installation.

This post has been edited by ncc1701e: Apr 16 2010, 03:35 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 16 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

TS was supposed to respond to this after I talked with them but never did, obviously. The description of the Reboot Validator was only part of what they were to discuss. They needed to talk to their supervisor to find out how much they could say on this issue without getting into proprietary information. That's why I deferred to them earlier.

+Quote Post
wither
post Aug 11 2010, 04:19 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

First of all, you should delete your serial number from the post since someone else could use it and you couldn't if they did.

Download the Trial version and insert your purchased serial number during the installation.

Google translation:

En primer lugar, debe eliminar su número de serie desde el puesto ya que alguien más podría utilizar y no podría hacerlo si lo hicieron.

Descargue la versión de prueba e inserte su número de serie adquirido durante la instalación.

+Quote Post
solidsnakepsii
post Aug 15 2010, 05:09 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,811,245

QUOTE (tecknomage @ Apr 7 2010, 07:10 PM) *
This has to do with installing NERO software on a standalone system.

Due to DoD Security Requirements, our target system cannot be on a network (no network cable connected).

We want to install NERO BackItUp & Burn but it asks for additional files to be downloaded during install process:

1. MSI 4.5 WinXP
  2. MS Visual C Redistributable 2005
  3. Reboot Validator
Files #1 & 2 can be download from MS, but Reboot Validator is a NERO file. There are NO download links on NERO's Support pages that I could find :angry:

NERO should have download links for ALL add-on software required by their products on their Support pages, including the 3 above <_<

What do you think?

+Quote Post
wither
post Aug 15 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Which version of Backitup and Burn are you trying to install- V10?

The installer contains the reboot validator as well as the other files and all you should have to do is click on Install when that screen comes up.

I just tried installing the trial version on a Vista 64 bit system and when that screen came up, I just hit Install and away it went (note that I didn't have to install the other files since I have the full V10 Suite.

+Quote Post
ploughman39A
post Aug 16 2010, 12:41 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,801,630

wither

I am slightly confused with this THREAD.

It was originally opened by tecknomage in April and seemed to go to sleep. The 'Quote' was submitted by solidsnakepsii, YESTERDAY (whenever that was), without any comment.

Your subsequent reply is directed to whom.

I find this prompt for Reboot Validator frequently appears depending on which program is being installed. But the point is if a USER follows the procedure for NERO 9 installation/ update, does the Reboot Validator get removed.

Then there is the situation where the PC is kept up to date, the installer still requires these programs, MSI 4.5 WinXP and MS Visual C Redistributable 2005, the later possibly as it is a program library routine Of course it is possible that NERO has to assume that USERS have not troubled to keep there OS upto date

+Quote Post
BeBiMa
post Aug 16 2010, 09:39 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,174,351

I saw this thread asleep too.
But now it comes up again. Therefore just a few thoughts.

This libraries that come up to be installed are connections beetween a uptodate OS and old fashioned SW. My system is held uptodate and they came up at a trial install of Nero 10 also.
Why is it not possible to update the Nero Suite? Each "adapter" influences the system of the customer ( hopefully only in a positve way! ) and further slows down the software.

A product released very fast with a period of error corrections thereafter isn't that hit in a long term. The time of success by market leadership has gone!

This post has been edited by BeBiMa: Aug 16 2010, 09:39 AM

+Quote Post
wither
post Aug 16 2010, 05:52 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Yeh, I goofed. I don't know why people post a quote without saying anything else.

Sounds like you want to go back to V9 and before where every update is the whole program. IMO, V10 has it right.

+Quote Post
BeBiMa
post Aug 17 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

ZITAT(wither @ Aug 16 2010, 05:52 PM) *
Sounds like you want to go back to V9 and before where every update is the whole program. IMO, V10 has it right.

No, I want an effective and efficient product for my money.
The issues I read the last weeks about V10 together with the experience of installing the trial version show this is not true in the moment.

The fact whether a software is modular or monolithic doesn't say much about effectiveness.
My observation is that Nero 10 needs a huge amount of "glue" beetween libraries valid years before and the now existent OS API.

As mentioned before this is a subjective observation. An objective statement must come from an "honest" developper at Nero.

BTW it seems that V8 and V9 without the last updates were the last stable software versions.

This post has been edited by BeBiMa: Aug 17 2010, 12:22 AM

+Quote Post
wither
post Aug 17 2010, 03:24 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I have to agree that V10 has it's problems especially in the installation area. On the other hand, the installation problems with XP were caused by an XP update that came out after V10 was out. I'm told that the same problem with XP is also the culprit in Win 7. At least a potential fix for XP has been posted in the forum and Win 7 users might want to use the same thread. I'm disappointed that the latest update doesn't address the installation issues but it could be that the number of people experiencing other problems in V10 are greater than those experiencing installation problems. Only Nero AG would know that since they get the e-mails.

This post has been edited by wither: Aug 17 2010, 03:25 PM

+Quote Post
BeBiMa
post Aug 17 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

I would not call it "has it's problems". There are some heavy incompatibilities with the underlying OS. An update to the OS or it's libraries fixes errors in this part of the system. Usually this fixes problems application had so far implementing the defined but not error-free implemented API.
But our observation with V10 is, it is going worse with the update. That is an indication for bad quality in development!
The announced modified features show once more the direction of only curing the symptomes and not "healing the disease".

+Quote Post
Solorio1987
post Dec 19 2010, 06:45 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 8,871,149

I just did without the Reebot Validator. The installer package is pretty bulky and installs a lot of files that Nero doesn't really need to run. To do this just run the Nero supplied installer. While the installer is running and probably 'hanging' at the Reboot Validator stage, go to Run and type "%temp%" without the quotes and look for the nero install files folder, click through till you find a file called NeroBurnLiteSuite.MSI and run it. It will do a check if your machine has a reboot pending and if not will install the suite. This works for most corrupted installer packages. I had the same problem and am using Nero BurnLite 10 successfully now. Good luck.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic