Start new topic
> Burn Video Files into a DVD
ernaniaroldo
post Mar 9 2010, 06:54 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,109,211

Since I upgraded my system to Windows 7 I cannot create a DVD with Video files burned into it (eg avi, divX, Xvid etc.) that can play on any home DVD player.

I get the message "incompatible disc" from the player.

Need to add that I am using Nero 9 and that when I was on XP I could play these DVDs with no problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
peter7769
post Mar 9 2010, 03:31 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,700,942

i would give 'convertx' a try, great program for converting to dvd and has never let me down once.

Pete

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 9 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Are you using Nero V9.4.26?

I assume you're creating a DVD-Video in Vision.

Are you unable to actually burn to a DVD or is it that it's just unplayable in your home player? If it's your home player, it might require either a DVD-R or -RW disk. That's the most universal. Check it out.

+Quote Post
ernaniaroldo
post Mar 9 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Sorry, but probably none has understood my question.

I don't want to create a DVD movie.

I want to burn video files into a DVD, therefore create a DVD ROM and play them on a divX compatible home DVD player.

This was possible when I was on Windows XP by using either Nero Express (Create a Data DVD), or Windows drag and drop.

After I upgraded to Windows 7 I get the message "incompatible disc" from the player.

There must be something in Windows options I have to change.

Any ideas?

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 9 2010, 09:01 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

If I understand you correctly, you're doing the same thing now as you were before with the same home player and the only thing you changed is the operating system. Is that correct?

Then you're saying that whether you use Windows to burn the files or Nero, the resulting disks are incompatible with your player. Is this correct?

+Quote Post
ernaniaroldo
post Mar 9 2010, 09:07 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Exactly!!! Let me point out again that I am talking about Video files burned into a DVD, not DVD movies.

DVD movies are playing fine

This post has been edited by ernaniaroldo: Mar 9 2010, 09:13 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 9 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

So you can burn DVD movies and they play correctly. Is that correct?

Since you get the same effect burning with Windows, it doesn't sound like a Nero problem.

Here's what the Windows help says for data DVD's burned in WMC-

"Data CDs or data DVDs can only be accessed later on a computer, not on consumer electronics devices such as stand-alone CD players and DVD players." My underlining

I think the same thing applies to Nero.

As a result, I'm not sure how you were doing this before and being able to play it on your stand-alone.

You can burn a DVD-ROM in Burning Rom. However, if you want to burn a DIVX, you would have to use Vision.

If you would, please tell the exact steps you were using once you started Express.

This post has been edited by wither: Mar 9 2010, 09:43 PM

+Quote Post
ernaniaroldo
post Mar 9 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Exactly!!!

The steps are the following:

1. Open Nero Express

2. Select Data DVD

3. Add files

4. Burn

Need to add that I was playing these DVDs in more than one home DVD players that support divX playback.

Nerovision converts video files (including divX) to DVD video which means VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders.

This means you can use only 1 disc per file while on DVD ROM you can burn many video files(avi, divX etc...) into 1 disc.

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 10 2010, 01:33 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

As you noted, the only way you can burn a DVD-Video in Express is if you first create the DVD-Video file in Vision.

However, as I noted in my previous post, a data DVD is just copying files to a DVD. There's nothing there to cause a video to play automatically. To look at a video on a data DVD on your computer, you would have to select the file you want to play from Windows Explorer, Nero Showtime or WMP. That's why the Windows help is saying you can't play a data DVD on a stand-alone player.

I don't understand you're comment about only one video can be burned to a DVD. Where's that restriction at?

+Quote Post
ernaniaroldo
post Mar 10 2010, 02:16 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

The restriction is the volume of the DVD video.

If you burn unconverted files you have much more volume at your disposal, considering that they are are compressed.

Anyway I insist on the fact that you can play Video files burned into a DVD on a player that supports divX playback.

I've been doing this for years.

Now I suspect it might be the external drive I am using that causes the issue.

I'll try burn them with the computer's drive and I'll be back.

+Quote Post
Lord-DeMoth
post Aug 25 2010, 07:32 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,819,182

ernaniaroldo,

Don't you just love it when you try to get an answer to a problem in a forum, and nobody actually reads your question, or understands your problem lol.

I'm experiencing the exact same problem you are having, and haven't figured out exactly what the problem is yet...Although I'm pretty sure it has something to do with NERO 10 (or any version after NERO 6...which was the last version I used with success).

I just updated my OS to Windows 7 (32-bit) from XP Pro. I was using NERO 6 in XP, and am using NERO 10 in Win7. I never had a problem getting my standalone DVD players (a Philips, and a JVC) to recognize video files burned to disk before. But for some reason since updating my system, and upgrading to NERO 10, the videos are no longer recognized in my JVC player. I get the same message as you "incompatible disc", and something like "do you want to initialize disk?". Luckily, the videos are still recognized by my Philips player.

Now, the reason I think the problem resides with NERO 10 (or any of the versions following NERO 6?) is because I also have Windows 7 on my laptop. But instead of NERO, I used NTI disk maker to burn 6 movie files to a DVD disk (it came preinstalled on my ACER laptop). The disk burned with NTI (on a Windows 7 system) is recognized by my JVC player, and works perfectly.

So I'm thinking there is either something that changed in the more recent versions of NERO, making burned DVD's less compatible with some standalone DVD players, or simply an option that needs to be changed in NERO to make it compatible with certain players? I already have the high compatibility mode turned on, and it doesn't seem to help (I also tried it with this turned off, and the disk still isn't recognized in my JVC player).

The one thing that gives me hope is that disks burned with NERO 10 are still recognized by my Philips player. So whatever the problem is seems to just effect certain players. Which makes me think that the solution is just a setting in options, or something simple like that?

What brand DVD player do you have anyway? I also noticed that you posted you problem in March...Did you find a solution yet?

This post has been edited by Lord-DeMoth: Aug 25 2010, 07:39 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Aug 26 2010, 02:47 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

It's unlikely that you'll get a response from a person who posted almost 6 months ago. Most people come in to get an answer and never come back unless they have another problem.

The DVD-Video format is the only one that is compatible with all players. I didn't go look but I think the help files say that this isn't the case with data discs.

What part of Nero are you using and what are you selecting?

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Aug 26 2010, 08:00 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,466,818

Hi Lord-DeMoth, Hi wither,

this is a pretty old thread, but apparently the same problem. I will try to make clear how this should work.

When you use Nero Express or Nero Burning ROM to create a data DVD, the files will not not modified at all. Video files are not transcoded, and they will keep the same original format as the original ones. Nero cannot guarantee that a data DVD can be played on an external DVD player. In some cases it might work, in some cases it won’t. The player should be compatible with the format of the original video files, and the kind of DVD. And not only the format, let´s say, AVI. It can be that the player supports AVI files in general. But AVI is a container, and the AVI file can contain a video or audio codec that the player doesn´t support, so you will not be able to playback the file. I understand that when making a DVD Video, you cannot burn as many files as you do to a normal Data DVD, but this is the risk that you take.

There is actually no difference between the Nero 6 and Nero 10 burning process in this case. As Lord-DeMoth said, the discs do not play on the JVC player, but they do in the Phillips player. It can also depend on the kind of discs that you use. I do not know how JVC works, but for example Panasonic supports DivX, mp3, jpeg, etc, only on DVD-R. They won’t be played on +DVDs as well as on DVD-RW. It could happen that the JVC player has a similar restriction. You could try to contact them and ask them. Maybe there you can find a hint.

Hope this info help,

Best regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post
BeBiMa
post Aug 26 2010, 08:16 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,174,351

Hi Lord-DeMoth,

could you do a test?
Produce 2 DVDs : Same video files,same DVD brand; one with Nero6, one with Nero10.
Which one does play in both players, which in one one?

This is only to exclude possible incompatiblities in data DVD structure.

+Quote Post
Lord-DeMoth
post Aug 30 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 8,819,182

Thanks for all the replies considering that this is such an old thread. But many of your inquiries can be answered by simply reading my original post.

I've already made 2 DVD's with exactly the same files, and on the exact same media (One using NERO 6 and one using NERO 10). The one made with NERO 6 works on both stand-alone players, and the one made with NERO 10 only works on one of the players. I'm using NERO Express, by the way. Since I'm just burning a data disk, and don't need to encode anything.

Also, as stated in my original post, The same files, burned on the same media, WILL play on both stand-alone players when burned with NTI Media Maker 8. So it definitely has nothing to do with the type of files, the disk drive, or the operating system.

The only variable that has changed between the disk that will play on both players, and the disk that will only play on one of the players, is the program used to burn it.

Just a little history concerning me (and I'm presuming ernaniaroldo, too...The one that started this thread). I'm not a noob to burning DVD's, and this is NOT my first time. I've been burning video files to 'data disks' for years. Using the same exact media, the same exact stand-alone players, and up until now the same exact burning program (NERO 6). I'm fully aware that some video files will not play on all players, and in these rare cases I make 'DVD disks' instead of 'data disks'. The problem that I'm experiencing now, and the same with ernaniaroldo, is NOT about the stand-alone player not being able to play a certain file. It's about the stand-alone player not even recognizing the newly burned disk as a disk with files on it. It's seeing the disk as a RAW or unformated disk. Which is why it's asking us if we want to initailize the disk. This ONLY happens when the disk is burned using NERO 10. The problem has NEVER happened once in all the years that I've been burning disks with NERO 6, or when using NTI Media Maker 8.

I'm sure the answer will be something simple once I figure it out. I just haven't really looked into it yet. As a matter of fact, this is the first place I've looked for an answer since ernaniaroldo seemed to be experiencing the exact same problem.

Thanks again for the replies!

Mark

+Quote Post
BeBiMa
post Aug 30 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Hi Mark,

thx for resume. That is exactly what aimed my question. Sorry, I didn't read the whole part of the thread by you and Infohelp, because it is sometimes annoying to search the facts beetween the standard answers and questions of Nero. :(

Let's wait what answer or reply you get.( Just realized the two meanings of the german "Antwort" ;) )

This post has been edited by BeBiMa: Aug 30 2010, 07:19 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Aug 30 2010, 07:31 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Lord-deMoth- you should submit the problem to tech support via e-mail.

+Quote Post
PracticalPigCH
post Sep 1 2010, 09:32 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,748,197

Dear all!

[/size]

We sometimes hear about similar problems, and although the symptoms are always the same (won't play on each DVD Player) each of these cases has to be regarded as a single case.

As to my experience this situation cannot completely be avoided when changing anything in the production or playing process. Contacting the support of any of the involved parts sometimes gets very frustrating for the user:

If a disc is not played you can either contact the technical support of the player manufacturer or of the software manufacturer (some would even start with the burner or blank disc manufacturers, but I'll leave these out).

From Nero you will hear the answer that we create standard compatible discs and that it depends on the player if these will be played.

The player manufacturer will point to the disc types they support and suggest to address yourself to the software manufacturer as the software "obviously" has a problem to create the correct discs.

The problem here is that usually both sides are right:

Yes, Nero creates standard compatible discs - if these were not standard compatible, they couldn't be played on any device.

Yes, the playback of the disc depends on the way how a disc is created.

Nero's aim is to create discs that fulfill all standards in order to make them compatible with as much devices as possible. But within and besides these standards there are many settings that can be changed. A computer usually is able to analyse a disc completely and select the best way to read it, based on this analysis.

DVD players usually are not so flexible and therefore you are forced to insert discs that clearly fulfill very specific requirements.

Even changing the operating system can be a change that might affect the production process in a way that a DVD player will not be able to read the disc anymore.

This is also known to the player manufacturers, therefore in the manual of such devices you will always find a paragraph stating the compatible formats, closing with the statement that playing the discs depends on several facts which cannot be influenced by the manufacturer.

Long description, interesting technical background, but the most important question is: "Whom to blame?" or "Who will give me a solution?"

We at Nero offer you the following deal:

Contact the player manufacturer and ask for the settings that have to be met in order that they can guarantee that the resulting disc will be played (e.g. write speed, disc brand, recorder, operating system, file type, used codecs, used file names....)

If the player manufacturer is able to deliver these information, send them to Nero Techsupport (techsupport@nero.com)

Then the colleagues will help you setting up Nero in a way to burn exactly such a disc.

If the player manufacturer is not able to deliver specific settings, we have to accept the fact that for this player there is no clear solution and that playing files on this device is rather a matter of chance than of compatibility.

[/font]

[font="Calibri"]Hope this helps and clarifies the situation.

Best Regards

[size="3"]The Practical Pig

+Quote Post
BeBiMa
post Sep 1 2010, 09:41 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Just to recall:
ZITAT(Lord-DeMoth @ Aug 30 2010, 04:03 PM) *
Also, as stated in my original post, The same files, burned on the same media, WILL play on both stand-alone players when burned with NTI Media Maker 8. So it definitely has nothing to do with the type of files, the disk drive, or the operating system.

The only variable that has changed between the disk that will play on both players, and the disk that will only play on one of the players, is the program used to burn it.

+Quote Post
PracticalPigCH
post Sep 2 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,748,197

Thanks BeBiMa for pointing this out to support my description.

Of course we hope that the player manufacturer won't state that NTI has to be used to be able to offer such a guarantee, but if they tell so, there is nothing we could do about it.
In a case with such playback problems we have only two alternatives: Burning as best as possible and hoping that it'll work. Or getting clear instructions from the manufacturer. Let's hope that the manufacturers actually will give out these clear instructions.

Best regards

The Practical Pig.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed Topic