2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
> [Solved] Unable To Access Shell Manager
Chala
post Mar 3 2010, 04:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,685,595

When I try and install Nero 9 Reloaded I get an error about 20% into the install, saying "unable to access shell manager" I just recently paid for Nero 9 Reloaded, and I I had to reinstall it on my computer due to an unrelated issue. I installed a new hard drive but still had my old drive with Nero files on it installed. I used the General cleaning tool to uninstall all files on my machine I even followed the removal instructions in post 18 of this thread http://forum.my.nero.com/index.php?showtop...l=Shell+Manager. more then once.

I went as far as to uninstall my Anti Virus, Ad ware program and I disabled firewall. So I am extremely vulnerable to attacks right now but all willing to risk this in order to properly install Nero 9 Reloaded, being I paid quite a bit of money for this program, and Nero wants me to pay $1.29 a minute to help me install it Can anyone please help me?

Specs:

O/S Windows XP Pro Service pack 3

Two Hard Disks: 1 TB & 80 GB

Software attempted to install Nero 9.4.26.0

Tools General-Clean Tools October 15, 2009

RAM 2 GB

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 3 2010, 04:50 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

First, don't pay for support. You have the free forum, free Online Support, and free e-mail to tech support.

Also, turn your firewall back on. I don't think this affects the installation. Anti-virus and adware could.

Did you initially install Reloaded on your old hard drive and are now trying to install on a new hard drive? If this is the case, then you might be fighting the issue that you can install a copy of Nero on only one computer. When you installed your new hard drive, you probably had to install the OS and now have a new registry. I would go to Online Support and ask them if they will reset your serial number. As I said, Online Support is free.

Whether or not you contact Online support, before you install try the following:

Run the general clean tool. Make sure you give it administrative rights.
Run the windows disk cleanup tool
Reboot
Turn off anti-virus
Reinstall the trial version using your purchased serial number during the install.

If this doesn't work, I'll give you another procedure.

+Quote Post
Chala
post Mar 3 2010, 07:08 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (wither @ Mar 3 2010, 04:50 PM) *
First, don't pay for support. You have the free forum, free Online Support, and free e-mail to tech support.

Also, turn your firewall back on. I don't think this affects the installation. Anti-virus and adware could.

Did you initially install Reloaded on your old hard drive and are now trying to install on a new hard drive? If this is the case, then you might be fighting the issue that you can install a copy of Nero on only one computer. When you installed your new hard drive, you probably had to install the OS and now have a new registry. I would go to Online Support and ask them if they will reset your serial number. As I said, Online Support is free.

Whether or not you contact Online support, before you install try the following:

Run the general clean tool. Make sure you give it administrative rights.
Run the windows disk cleanup tool
Reboot
Turn off anti-virus
Reinstall the trial version using your purchased serial number during the install.

If this doesn't work, I'll give you another procedure.

Well thank you Wither for reassuring me I don't have to pay. I have not contacted online support about the serial number yet, but I did follow your instructions to the letter, plus I performed extra removal procedures i.e...

Open your Start menu, click on My Computer, double click on C drive, double click on
Documents and Settings, double click on the folder that says Owner or User. At the top
of the Window click on Tools, Folder Options, click on View tab, choose Show Hidden files
and Folders, click OK. Double click on Application Data Folder, delete the Ahead and Nero
folders, double click on the Temp. folder, delete any folder that says Nero or that starts
with NRO.

Go back to your C drive, double click on Program files, Delete the Nero folder, double on
Common files folder, delete any Ahead or Nero folder. Close the Window.

Open your Start menu, click on Run, type in regedit, click OK, double click on the Hkey
Current User folder, double on the Software folder, delete the Ahead and Nero folder.
Double click on the Hkey Local Machine folder, double click on the Software folder, delete
the Ahead and Nero folders. Close the window

Empty your Recycle Bin and restart your computer.

At 47% I got the error message again. By the way i tried it with my own serial number, and then the generic serial number, both failed. Thank for monitoring this thread!

This post has been edited by Chala: Mar 3 2010, 07:24 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 3 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

I really don't know what sequence you followed with the extra steps. I do see two problems with it.

If you run the general clean tool, it gets rid of some registry entries and a few files. These get put into the recycle bin.
When you manually deleted Nero and Ahead folders, these also get placed into the recycle bin. However, you should do a search because there are many Nero and Ahead folders in places other than the ones you mentioned.
When you edit your registry, you should do a search on Nero and Ahead because there are entries in numerous places and you may not have found them all. Of course these get placed into the recycle bin.
After you do all that, then you should run the windows disk cleanup tool. The default settings for the windows disk cleanup tool is to empty the temp folders and empty the recycle bin.
then you should reboot.

You did (not completely) the alternate procedure that I was going to give you.

I'm not sure that all this is the cause of the shell manager problem. I wanted you to give it a try because sometimes remnants, especially in temp folders, affect installations (not just with Nero).
You can try doing it again in a more complete manner but let me ask- did you give the installation .exe file Administrator rights? You might just try doing that first if you didn't do that previously.

This post has been edited by wither: Mar 3 2010, 08:55 PM

+Quote Post
Chala
post Mar 4 2010, 06:58 AM
Post #5

I apologize I failed to mention two important facts.

1. I am the only registered user on this computer. I am the administrator.

2. Before I remove manually always do a windows search on all drives.

So the sequence would be like this...Run the general clean tool...then Open my Start menu, click on My Computer, double click on C drive, double click on Documents and Settings, double click on the folder that says Owner or User. At the top of the Window click on Tools, Folder Options, click on View tab, choose Show Hidden files and Folders, click OK.

Double click on Application Data Folder, delete the Ahead and Nero folders,(which after running the general clean tool is never there) double click on the Temp. folder, delete any folder that says Nero or that starts with NRO.

Go back to my C drive, double click on Program files, Delete the Nero folder (which after running the general clean tool is never there), double onCommon files folder, delete any Ahead or Nero folder. Close the Window.

Open your Start menu, click on Run, type in regedit, click OK, double click on the Hkey
Current User folder, double on the Software folder, delete the Ahead and Nero folder (which after running the general clean tool is never there) Double click on the Hkey Local Machine folder, double click on the Software folder, delete
the Ahead and Nero folder (which after running the general clean tool is never there) Then close the window.
Empty your Recycle Bin.

I am not sure I understand you when you say "You did (not completely) the alternate procedure that I was going to give you.

I got involved with the online chat support and they are helping me through e~mails but there response time is very slow, so I am hoping you stick me and offer other suggestions on how to resolve this matter.
Thanks much!

+Quote Post
Chala
post Mar 4 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #6

Well it seems like I am going backwards here. Apparently there is an update download for Nero 9 which I just discovered last night. My other installation file was not letting me get past extraction. So I downloaded the update Nero 9 and did a cleaning process as per Nero tech support. As seen below... Dear Mr. - - - - - thank you for your e-mail. The problem you describe may be caused by Nero 9 entries that could not be removed with the help of the Nero General CleanTool.
Please delete these entries manually.
For this, six essential steps are necessary:
1. Delete Nero from the directory "Programs", if applicable.
2. Delete Nero from the directory "Common files", if applicable.
3. Delete the files stored in the folder "Temp" in the directory "Local settings".
4. Delete Nero from the registry, if applicable.
5. Reboot your computer.
6. Install the latest version of Nero 9 1.
Delete Nero from the directory "Programs" Right-click the "Start" button in the Windows start menu and select the entry "Explorer".
-> The Windows Explorer will open.
In the drop-down menu select the menu item "System (C:)" and click the folder "Programs".
Can you see the folder "Nero" in this directory?
If that is the case, please right-click the folder "Nero" and select the entry "Delete" in the menu.
-> The window "Confirm the folder deletion" will open.
Confirm this by clicking the "Yes" button.
If the deletion of single sub folders is not possible, follow the path
"C:\Programs\Nero\Nero 9"
and delete the sub folders individually by right-clicking the respective folder and selecting the entry "Delete" in the menu.
Confirm this by clicking the "Yes" button. Folders and files that cannot be deleted may remain in the respective directory.
Please let us know which files and folders these are and what the error message tells you during the deletion. 2.
Delete Nero from the directory "Common files" Right-click the "Start" button in the Windows start menu and select the entry "Explorer".
In the drop-down menu select the menu item "System (C:)" and subsequently click the folders "Programs" and "Common files".
Can you see the folder "Nero" in that folder?
If that is the case, right-click the folder "Nero" and select the entry "Delete" in the menu.
Confirm this by clicking the "Yes" button.
If the deletion of single sub folders is not possible, follow the path
"C:\Programs\Common files\Nero"
and delete the sub folders individually by right-clicking the respective folder and selecting the entry "Delete" in the menu.
Confirm this by clicking the "Yes" button. Folders and files that cannot be deleted may remain in the respective directory.
Please let us know which files and folders these are and what the error message tells you during the deletion. 3.
Delete the files stored in the folder "Temp" in the directory "Local settings" Right-click the "Start" button in the Windows start menu and select the entry "Explorer".
Please open the following directory:
under Windows Vista/Windows 7:
c:\User\<your username>\AppData\Local
under Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Local Settings You will find the sub folder "Temp" in this location.
Open this folder an delete all the files in this folder.
Please note that some files might not be deleted as they are still used by a certain program. These files can be ignored. If the folder "Local settings" is not displayed in this directory, check the following settings in Windows:
In the menu bar of Windows Explorer select the "Tools" menu. Select "Folder Options", go to the "View" tab, and in the navigation tree under "Hidden files and folders" select the option "Show hidden files and folders". Confirm this change by clicking the "Apply" and "OK" buttons. 4.
Delete Nero from the registry Click "Start" in the Windows start menu.
Click the "Run" command.
-> The window "Run" will open.
Enter "regedit" in the "Open" text field and click the "OK" button.
-> The registry window will open. First check if there is still the entry "Nero" in the navigation tree on the left side of the window under the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\.
If that is the case, right-click the folder "Nero" and select the entry "Delete" in the menu.
-> The window "Confirm the key deletion" will open.
Confirm this by clicking the "Yes" button. Now check if there is still the entry "Nero" in the navigation tree on the left side of the window under the path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\.
-> The window "Confirm the key deletion" will open.
Confirm this by clicking the "Yes" button. 5.
Reboot your computer Close all open windows and reboot your computer. 6. Install the latest version of Nero 9 To install the latest Nero 9 version, please proceed as follows:
(Note: do not install a previous Nero 9 version from an installation CD now, but download and install the latest version of Nero 9 from our website. All Nero 9 download versions have the full range of functions as an original Nero 9 installation CD. There is no need to install a previous version of Nero first.) Download and install the latest Nero 9 version from our website using the following link:
http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero9-update.php
Save this file to your desktop.
Double-click the downloaded Nero 9 installation file to start the installation.
Enter your Nero 9 serial number during the installation to make your Nero into a permanent version.
(The download without a serial number is a trial version only).
-> You now have a newly installed version of Nero 9 on your computer. The first time the extraction went fine I was excited, but when installation got to 47% I got a new shell message "Shell manager database is corrupt or missing" I tried to get a screen shot for tech support but I blew it. When trying to duplicate error I can't get past extraction process again. That's where I am now. Sad, very sad!

+Quote Post
Chala
post Mar 4 2010, 10:53 AM
Post #7

Snap shot of extraction error attached.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 4 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

First. Way back when, you said you were installing V9.4.26. The only way to get that is by downloading from Nero.com. I even mentioned you should try the download again in case it got corrupted and you said you did. As a result, I don't understand what update you found. There is no update to that version.

Second. When I said you should do a search of your hard drive, I meant that you should go to Start\Search in Windows. There you should make sure that the search will find hidden files. Then do a search on Nero and then Ahead and delete all entries.

Similarly, in searching the registry, you should run regedit and use the Find function to find all instances of Nero and Ahead and delete all entries. I believe there will be more entries than just the ones mentioned by Nero.

Also note that just because you're the only user, Windows doesn't always treat you as the administrator. You might have to give the .exe the administrator rights.

The Nero support was good and you might have to go back to them. Give it one more try as follows:

Run the General Clean Tool
Search (in the manner I mentioned above) your hard drive for Nero and Ahead and delete all entries.
Search (in the manner I mentioned above) your registry for Nero and Ahead and delete all entries.
run the Windows disk cleanup tool making sure that "temporary files" and "empty recycle bin" are checkmarked.
Reboot
Turn off anti-virus.
Give the installation file Administrator rights as I mentioned before and then install.

If this doesn't work, then you'll need to go back to tech support.

+Quote Post
Chala
post Mar 4 2010, 06:34 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (wither @ Mar 4 2010, 04:38 PM) *
First. Way back when, you said you were installing V9.4.26. The only way to get that is by downloading from Nero.com. I even mentioned you should try the download again in case it got corrupted and you said you did. As a result, I don't understand what update you found. There is no update to that version.

Well it looks like two different versions to me. Please pay note...originally I was getting the trial version from here http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero9-trial.php Which clearly states trial version. Tech support enlightened me
to this link http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero9-update.php which clearly states update. They appear to be two slightly looking versions to me, if not I apologize.

Second. When I said you should do a search of your hard drive, I meant that you should go to Start\Search in Windows. There you should make sure that the search will find hidden files. Then do a search on Nero and then Ahead and delete all entries.

I apologize again, in post #5 when I stated "2. Before I remove manually always do a windows search on all drives." I meant just that going to Start\Search in Windows.

Also note that just because you're the only user, Windows doesn't always treat you as the administrator. You might have to give the .exe the administrator rights.

Do you know the correct procedure as to give administration rights?

The Nero support was good and you might have to go back to them. Give it one more try as follows:

Run the General Clean Tool
Search (in the manner I mentioned above) your hard drive for Nero and Ahead and delete all entries.
Search (in the manner I mentioned above) your registry for Nero and Ahead and delete all entries.
run the Windows disk cleanup tool making sure that "temporary files" and "empty recycle bin" are checkmarked.
Reboot
Turn off anti-virus.
Give the installation file Administrator rights as I mentioned before and then install.

If this doesn't work, then you'll need to go back to tech support.

I tried your procedure verbatim without deviation, I still get extraction error. I will deal with tech support as per your instructions, if that does not work I will pay the ridiculous $1.29 per minute for phone support as this is very frustrating, thanks for all your help!

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 4 2010, 08:42 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

The two downloads appear to be identical in size and they're both 9.4.26. All you need to do is install your purchased serial number during installation. Most people just download the trial.

I'm trying to figure out in what order you should consider the following things- do in whatever order you consider best:

Do you have plenty of free space on your hard drive? Is your hard drive fragmented?

To give the installation file administrative rights, you right click on it and select Run as Administrator. I would try it after doing the simple cleanup things- I wouldn't do the registry\hard drive thing again but I would still run the windows disk cleanup tool after doing the General cleanup tool.

If that doesn't work, there may be an operating system problem and you might need to reinstall XP or maybe SP3. It's hard to tell because usually the Shell Manager is referring to Windows software which links you to another shell for accessing the operating system. However, it can also be called that in an application.

Did Nero ask you to run the Get Support Files and provide the NeroSupport.cab file? If not, I would download the Get Support Files from Nero.com and send it to them before messing with your operating system.

This post has been edited by wither: Mar 4 2010, 09:55 PM

+Quote Post
Chala
post Mar 5 2010, 07:53 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (wither @ Mar 4 2010, 08:42 PM) *
Do you have plenty of free space on your hard drive? Is your hard drive fragmented?
Plenty of free space I have a 1 Terabyte with three partitions. The partition I am using is 300 GB with 280 GB Free. I have a clean install of windows as of this past Monday, and the 1 Terabyte hard drive which is new was put in there to. So basically my version of windows, and my hard drive are 5 days old. Doubt I need fragmentation ;-)

To give the installation file administrative rights, you right click on it and select Run as Administrator. I would try it after doing the simple cleanup things- I wouldn't do the registry\hard drive thing again but I would still run the windows disk cleanup tool after doing the General cleanup tool.

I am still not sure what you mean when you say "Windows doesn't always treat you as the administrator." I am the only user on this machine. When I go to user accounts in the control panel it says I am the administrator. According to this article I am as well>>

How to Tell if You Have Administrative Rights in Windows XP

Step 1 Log on to your PC as you normally do

Step 2 Right-click on the "Start" button at bottom left side of the PC screen

Step 3 Look at the pop-up box that appears in Windows XP A list of functions is provided for your specific Windows XP account.

Step 4 Determine if the options "Open All Users" and "Explore All Users" are included in the list of Windows XP functions. If they are listed, then your account is enabled with administrative rights. I could not access that run as administrator option on the exe file. When i right click it says "run as.." thats it.

I will however run the exe again as per your instructions.

If that doesn't work, there may be an operating system problem and you might need to reinstall XP or maybe SP3. It's hard to tell because usually the Shell Manager is referring to Windows software which links you to another shell for accessing the operating system. However, it can also be called that in an application.

I am not going to go through much more of this, I am leaning towards another clean install.

Did Nero ask you to run the Get Support Files and provide the NeroSupport.cab file? If not, I would download the Get Support Files from Nero.com and send it to them before messing with your operating system.

Yes I have provided them with several NeroSupport.cab files in my various e-mails to them.

I ran the exe file as you stated by right clicking on it and running as administrator, the first time i did not see that option. I ran it and it shut down my computer this time. This is unbelievable. In addition under properties the exe file had a message "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer" I unblocked it, but to no avail my computer still shutdown.

This post has been edited by Chala: Mar 5 2010, 10:47 AM
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 5 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

I'm the only user on my computer and I have administrative rights. In earlier versions of Windows, I had free reign over my whole computer. However, now I'm running Vista and I'm not allowed to open certain folders such as Documents and Settings unless I jump through a whole bunch of security hoops and then they don't last. Microsoft is doing its best to protective us against ourselves.

The problem you encountered with giving the file administrative rights is probably related to the security setup on your computer. I've never heard of it shutting down a computer before. In that case, maybe you need to turn off the firewall (which you did before) or disable other security features of whatever anti-virus program your using. However, if I remember correctly, you can only try to install Nero so many times before it won't install and that could be a problem but I don't think you've exceeded it yet. You might ask online chat about it.

I frequent two other forums and giving an installation file administrator rights has solved the problem for many people. It's even happened here.

I noticed that you have two Nero Extractor icons on your desktop. Are those the downloaded versions of Nero? I've never seen the Nero extractor before.

I have to agree that your hard drive is not fragmented. I have a 500 GB which is two years old and Norton says it's only 98% fragmented.

+Quote Post
Chala
post Mar 5 2010, 06:23 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (wither @ Mar 5 2010, 05:43 PM) *
The problem you encountered with giving the file administrative rights is probably related to the security setup on your computer. I've never heard of it shutting down a computer before. In that case, maybe you need to turn off the firewall (which you did before) or disable other security features of whatever anti-virus program your using. However, if I remember correctly, you can only try to install Nero so many times before it won't install and that could be a problem but I don't think you've exceeded it yet. You might ask online chat about it.

In my first post I stated that firewall is disabled and that I also disabled adware removal software, it has remained that way ever since. I have tried to install Nero in the neighborhood, of a dozen or so times if not more since this started. I am driven to get this thing installed since I paid for it already. If I did not pay, I would not be on this forum. I will ask online support about the amount of times I can download it. The problem for me now is not the shell manager right now, I cannot even get to that stage. My problem is in the extraction process, I cannot complete the extraction process.
QUOTE (wither @ Mar 5 2010, 05:43 PM) *
I noticed that you have two Nero Extractor icons on your desktop. Are those the downloaded versions of Nero? I've never seen the Nero extractor before.

Yes the Nero extractor was something online support provided me with to help in the extraction process. Now they want me to download another program to check if the installation download is good or not, this is crazy. Look at the e-mail>>

I assume, that the installer file has been corrupted in the download process. Please download the Nero installer again. You can also check the MD5 checksum to make sure if your download file has no errors.

With the generated fingerprint by MD5 programs (md5sum) you can easily control if a downloaded file is unchanged and complete.

Please download the NeroMD5Verifier.zip from our FTP-server:

http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero9-to...ities.html#tab3

Then choose a folder (or your desktop) to unzip the file. How to use the Nero MD5 verifier:

Step 1:

Copy the md5 check sum (with STRG + c ) from our download page. You can find this information beneath the description of every download package. Then click on paste and insert the original MD5 check sum. Download the software package and save it to a folder.

Step 2:

Browse for your file and click on it. The Nero MD5 Verifier will create and show the MD5 hash check sum. If both sums are identical the download was successful. If there is a difference between the two sums, either the download was not successful or the file is corrupted. If that is the case, download the file again.

Needless to say i do not understand this instructions especially the "Then click on paste and insert" part!

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 5 2010, 07:05 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

You're getting good support from Nero.

When you download the verifier, unzip it in a folder. At the website, right click on the MD 5 file and select copy. Then paste it into the folder where you unzipped the verifier.

I'm assuming that you have to start the verifier and then select the downloaded .exe file to generate the new MD 5 file. The instructions are not very clear.

Then you compare the size of the two MD 5 files and, hopefully, they'll be the same.

I see you said you were going to check on the number of installations you can try. I think you've exceeded the number.

I guess they give you the extractor as an extra aid. Most people just install using the installation file (as you were doing). I'm assuming the installation file is the one you gave the administator rights to.

+Quote Post
Chala
post Mar 6 2010, 09:14 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (wither @ Mar 5 2010, 07:05 PM) *
When you download the verifier, unzip it in a folder. At the website, right click on the MD 5 file and select copy. Then paste it into the folder where you unzipped the verifier.

I'm assuming that you have to start the verifier and then select the downloaded Nero 9 .exe file to generate the new MD 5 file. The instructions are not very clear.

Then you compare the size of the two MD 5 files and, hopefully, they'll be the same.

Yeah i figured it out. Go to the page where i downloaded the Nero installer .exe copy the MD5 checksum. Then run
The Nero MD5 Verifier. Paste in the MD5 check sum, browse for Nero 9 .exe file, then it will generate a MD5 hash check sum. Then you compare. Mine matched up.

I see you said you were going to check on the number of installations you can try. I think you've exceeded the number.

Then what? I am waiting for their answer.

I guess they give you the extractor as an extra aid. Most people just install using the installation file (as you were doing). I'm assuming the installation file is the one you gave the administator rights to.

Yeah but i can't run the extractor even with the aid. Yes the installation files was the one i gave the rights to!

Unbelievable

Here is an excerpt of a chat session between a support person and myself. I am Lance...support is Simone...

[Lance] yes
[Lance] thats ity
[Lance] it*
[Lance] Please answer that please
[Simone] The forum entry refers to the patent activation of Nero 9.
[Simone] But I have checked your serial number and there are still activations left.
[Lance] I tried to install it a dozen times or more
[Simone]
Doesn´t matter.

[Simone] Because your installation does not reach the point where you have to activate it.
[Lance] ok now...can i pick up a disk as opposed to waitng a week or more for delivery?
[Simone] I will send out the disc today. But it may take some time until the disc arrives because it will be sent out

from Germany.
[Simone] May you please give me your mail address?
[Lance] can i pick up a disk as opposed to waitng a week or more for delivery?
[Lance] can i pick up a disk as opposed to waitng a week or more for delivery?
[Simone] unfortunately you cannot pick up the disc.
[Lance] ok, what other steps can we perform while waiting, it will be hard to wait one week or more?
[Simone] unfortunately I cannot offer you another solution at the moment.
[Lance] Really?
[Simone] I will send out the disc today.
[Lance] what if the Disc does not work then?
[Simone] In this case, I can only offer you a refund for Nero 9 if you have purchased in our onlineshop.
[Lance] So to tell me, i exahuasted all troubleshooting procedures with Nero??
[Simone] unfortunately I don´t understand what you mean exactly.
[Lance] ok, let me try to say it this way...
[Lance] I have tried everything that can be done to resolve this, OTHER then the Disc??
[Simone] Yes.
[Simone] Usually the problems can be solved with the steps we suggested.
[Simone] But in your case the problem persist.
[Lance] Can i use another users Disc if i find one?
[Simone] Therefor I will sent you the disc for free.
[Simone] No, because the "original discs" are not extracted.
[Simone] I will send you a special disc which includes the extracted version of Nero 9.
[Lance] I have a Nero 8 essentials Disk, will that help?
[Simone] No, unfortunately not.
[Simone] Nero 8 and Nero 9 are two different products.
[Simone] You cannot install Nero 9 with a Nero 8 Essentials disc.
[Lance] Wha if i am able to install Nero 8, can i then upgrade or install Nero 9 on top of it?
[Simone] No
[Simone] As I told you these are two different products.
[Simone] Nero 9 is not an "update" for Nero 8.
[Lance] How come nobody suggested that i re-install my O/S
[Simone] Of course, this may solve the problem. But reinstalling an OS may take a lot of time and work.
[Simone] Therefor we try to solve the problem without reinstalling the complete Operating System.
[Lance] Are there any other methods that take a lot of time and work that i can employ other then re-installing my

O/S?
[Simone] unfortunately I cannot sent you any other solution.
[Simone] You can either await my e-mail or reinstall your OS and install Nero 9 after new installation of your OS

directly.
[Simone] Maybe this will solve your problem.
[Lance] Can i be granted permission to speak to support on the phone one time?
[Simone] We offer a phone hotline in USA but I don´t think that a phone call will solve your problem.
[Simone] Also, the hotline is not free or charge.
[Simone] They cannot solve your problem by phone, too.
[Lance] I should get permission to speak free of charge
[Lance] Can a supervisor arrange that?
[Simone] But it does not make sense to talk to someone.
[Lance] Why?
[Simone] Even if we call you back, we cannot solve your problem by phone.
[Simone] We already have all information about your problem and even if we call you we cannot say anything

else then: please await the disc and try to install again.
[Simone] Or you can try to reinstall your OS
[Lance] What if i wanted this Disk to be sent express mail, and were willing to pay, can that be arranged?
[Simone] or if this does not solve your problem you will receive a refund for Nero 9.
[Simone] Usually the disc will arrive in 3-5 days.
[Lance] Please answer my last question?
[Simone] unfortunately this is not possible.
[Lance] Fine send the Disc right away please
[Lance] Good-Bye
[Simone] Yes, I will send the disc today.
[Simone] Thank you for your understanding.
[Simone]

This post has been edited by Chala: Mar 6 2010, 10:31 AM

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 6 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

So you did get a good download. That's a plus. Puts that issue out of the way.

I did suggest way back when that you might have to reinstall XP or SP3. A few other people have had the shell manager issue and got it to go away by persisting through the installation.

That was good information about what it takes for the counter to actually count the number of times you did the install. So that issue is out of the way.

You can try an install of V8. Nothing preventing you from doing that. When you get the disk from Nero, you can either try the installation with V8 still installed or you can remove it (you know the drill). Some people have been able to have two or more different versions of Nero installed on the same computer while others have not. I have a copy of V8 but I'm not going to try to install it along side V9 because it provides no benefit.

It might be worthwhile to try the V8 install to see if you have the same problem. If you do have the same problem, I'm guessing your OS needs to be reinstalled. If you try it, let us know how it turns out.

+Quote Post
Chala
post Mar 6 2010, 07:33 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (wither @ Mar 6 2010, 05:27 PM) *
You can try an install of V8. Nothing preventing you from doing that. When you get the disk from Nero, you can either try the installation with V8 still installed or you can remove it (you know the drill). Some people have been able to have two or more different versions of Nero installed on the same computer while others have not. I have a copy of V8 but I'm not going to try to install it along side V9 because it provides no benefit.

It might be worthwhile to try the V8 install to see if you have the same problem. If you do have the same problem, I'm guessing your OS needs to be reinstalled. If you try it, let us know how it turns out.

The Nero 8 essentials is an OEM Bundled version I got when I bought my Pioneer DVD writer. I will think it over. When I first installed Nero 9 successfully, it installed along side an older version of Nero without any problems. I will think it over, more inclined to try a clean install first.

The original download link I had when I purchased Nero worked past the extraction part every time, (just could not get past installation) but I deleted it sad. Begged support to resend it back to me, they told me since I did not purchase "extended download service" they can't help me. I asked "well can I now pay for a extended download service" and they told me no.

Despite what you say, I don't think they were much help, I am extremely disappointed. The way I understood it, that NeroSupport.cab file was supposed to identify was preventing the Nero install and block it from running.

However through all of they you have shined with your help and I thank you again Wither!

+Quote Post
Chala
post Mar 16 2010, 11:12 PM
Post #18

Just an update...while waiting eight days for Nero to send special disk, I re-installed windows hoping that would resolve issue. It did not, still got error message during extraction process. The special disk arrived today and upon installing it got to 90% before an error message saying cannot complete installation. Many of the app's are installed I am afraid to uninstall, cause I think they may work, however I used the trial serial key. Where would I insert my own serial key? I did try again without uninstalling and I got a BSOD with auto restart. Not sure what to do. Screen shot of the programs of the incomplete install below.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 16 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

It looks like the only thing it didn't install is Vision.

During the installation, you should get a screen that shows the serial number, among other things. That's where you install your purchased serial number.

+Quote Post
Chala
post Mar 16 2010, 11:35 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (wither @ Mar 16 2010, 11:31 PM) *
It looks like the only thing it didn't install is Vision.

During the installation, you should get a screen that shows the serial number, among other things. That's where you install your purchased serial number.

I already installed it, i don't want to uninstall it to enter my serial number, cause it may not install at all. Is that the only way to enter my serial number??

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed Topic