IPB

Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> SecurDisc Installation
Guest_ploughman_*
post Mar 2 2010, 05:05 AM
Post #1

Guests

I recent purchased a 'NOTEBOOK' which is running Windows 7. I wish to use this with an external CD/DVD drive.

I have downloaded the latest version of Nero 9 and viewed various facilities of the program.

It does not list 'Securdisc' amongst the routines to be installed at the time Nero 9 is installed.

Searching for 'Securdisc' in the folder that Nero 9 has been installed, x:\program files, I find two reference to the program. These are to be found in sub-directories for Nero Express and Nero Burning ROM.

Opening each of these folders I find that they both contain 2 files. As I have at present un-installed Nero 9 I am not sure what these files are actually named, but selecting each file refers me to a site 'Securdisc.net'

At this site it states that the program is a 'STANDALONE' routine.

It also lists instructions on how to install the 'Sucurdisc' program as follows

1. I am using Nero 6 or lower, or have no version of the Nero Suite installed on my system
2. I have Nero 7 installed on my system
3. I have Nero 8 installed on my system
4. I have Nero 9 installed on my system

Viewing each of these options has raised several queries.

In the first option

1. I am using Nero 6 or lower, or have no version of the Nero Suite installed on my system

It states that Nero 9 'Trial' version is to be downloaded, which is valid for 15 days.

Following this instruction the user is instructed to download and install the following two routines

InCDReader-5.9.4.0.exe (for Nero 8) and SecurDiscViewer-1.4.1.0.exe.

Installing 'SecurDiscViewer-1.4.1.0.exe' places the routine in its own folder x:\program files\...\Secure Viewer.

When the time limit of the 'TRIAL' version ;expires, the user has the option of either purchasing Nero 9 or removing it.

Using Nero Cleantool this removes the contents of Nero 9 folder, including SecurDisc which is supposed to be a STANDALONE routine.

I am not sure but I believe the installation of InCDReader-5.9.4.0.exe, may cause installation problems, but this may have to do with Windows 7 compatibility

WRT

3. I have Nero 8 installed on my system

The following is an extraction from the site:

Current version: 8.3.13.0
Release Date: December 17, 2008
Installable Until: January 01, 3000
Trial Period: 15 Days after installation

There is 3 problems here, the first being the version reference, the second being the release date, these should be 8.3.13.0a and the release date January 2010.

The 3rd being Nero (Superdisc.net) generous Installable period that the program is available

I believe there may also be problems with the remainder the procedures but these again may have something to do with Windows 7

This post has been edited by ploughman: Mar 2 2010, 09:39 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 2 2010, 05:13 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,132,427

I previously showed you where the securedisk creation option is in Burning Rom. The SecureDisc Viewer is a completely different program. It allows anybody on any computer to look at a disk created using the Burning Rom procedure.

The Nero General Clean tool for V9, I believe, will wipe everything Nero from your system except for some registry entries and hard drive folders. Not sure because there are separate General Clean Tools for each version.

I honestly don't know what you're looking for. You have all these versions of Nero on a system that doesn't support them unless you have a Win 7 version that allows use of Virtual XP.

+Quote Post
Guest_ploughman_*
post Mar 6 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (wither @ Mar 2 2010, 05:13 PM) *
I previously showed you where the securedisk creation option is in Burning Rom. The SecureDisc Viewer is a completely different program. It allows anybody on any computer to look at a disk created using the Burning Rom procedure.

The Nero General Clean tool for V9, I believe, will wipe everything Nero from your system except for some registry entries and hard drive folders. Not sure because there are separate General Clean Tools for each version.

I honestly don't know what you're looking for. You have all these versions of Nero on a system that doesn't support them unless you have a Win 7 version that allows use of Virtual XP.

wither, after you informing me about the 'Securdisk' program I tried the installation of 9.4.26, a clean install, on my NOTEBOOK, which does not have a DVD drive connected.

I then followed the instruction from both the Manual & HELPFILE to get the 'Securdisc' program enabled. But unfortunately the option listed in both Nero Express and Nero Burning ROM routines did not have any reference to the routine.

Think that there was some facility to install the program I searched the installation folder for 'Securdisk' and found there were 2 FOLDERS quoted as 'SECURDISC'. Opening this folders I found a routine that took me 'Securdisk.net', page

'Easy Steps to Experience SecurDisc' . At this point I lost interest and just tried each of the options listed, Removing the installed Nero version, before attempting to follow the instruction, overlooking the restrictions of Nero and Windows 7 and that both Nero 7 and 8 had been updated in January, as you may remember I did ask about the release notes for Nero 7, which you supplied and when checked last did not refer to the latest release.

Thus I assumed that these programs had been updated for Windows 7. Apparently, after enquiring from CS the updates actually had to do with the 'ASK TOOLBAR' facility. I was also informed that NERO had not troubled to update the release notes for Nero 7 (7.11.10b) as they felt it that info up to 7.11.6 was all that was necessary.

Thus in general I was lead down the garden path by yourself and Nero.

I still have not been able to get the 'Securdisc' program functioning on my NOTEBOOK. Thus I assume it must have something to do with a suitable drive being connected

This post has been edited by ploughman: Mar 6 2010, 06:22 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 6 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,132,427

If I go into Express\data disc, the two options for Securdisc are there but greyed out because I don't have a suitable drive.
However, when I opened Burning Rom, the selections that were there previously are no longer there. Don't know what to tell you about that. Maybe I need to do a cold boot.

+Quote Post
Guest_ploughman_*
post Mar 15 2010, 02:20 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (wither @ Mar 2 2010, 05:13 PM) *

First of all I have been informed that the latest Nero 9 Cleantools routine is identical to Nero 8 routine. This has been confirmed by running 2 separate file comparison program comparing Nero 9 and Nero 8 against each other.

As the Nero 9 routine was used to remove Nero 8 and Nero 7 without any problems it would seem that the routine appears to be a universal one. As previous versions of Nero are no longer available I am unable to say whether it would function with them.

From a recent CHAT with CS a 'SecureDisc Drive' has to be fitted to the PC/NOTEBOOK before the 'SecureDisc' facility is available.

WRT the 'SecureDisc Viewer' I appreciate that it a different program. At the time, due to limited access to the Internet and frustration with the 'SecureDisc' facility I just BLINDLY followed the information supplied by the routine in each Nero program which linked to 'SecureDisc.net' and subsequently followed the instruction not being the routines listed on the site was incompatible Windows 7.

The folders are listed as 'SecureDisc' rather than 'SecureDisc Viewer', whether this can be considered an error OR BUG is up-to a personal opinion. But I feel that if the link takes a USER to site to enable 'SecureDisc Viewer' to be installed should actually reflect that information.

This post has been edited by ploughman: Mar 15 2010, 02:24 PM

+Quote Post

Closed Topic