Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Issues with Nero 9 compatibility with Windows 7
rakdanit
post Feb 17 2010, 02:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,709,808

I have used Nero for many many years, successfully, to burn VCDs..using mpg, wmv, MP4 and avi formats. Never had any probelm.

I recently purchased a new computer running Windows 7 64 bit. I have many many problems, just to name a few:

1) loading Nero 9.. it simply would not load from the CD....I had to download the trial version and put in my regiter key number....after a few installs and uninstall it finally installed.

2) the CD burner couldn't read the blank CD...the CD tray door opened and then quickly shut, before I had time to remove the CD and put in a new one...

3) the main and most important to me at this time is that neither Nero Express or Nero Burning Rom will recognize Mpg, Avi or MP4 formats.

I get the following eror message: "Some of the streams in this movie are in and unsupported format" this simply did not happen before!

It would greatly be appreciated, if some knowlagable person out there could help me with this probelm. Nero tech support still hasn't got back to me and I wrote them over a week ago!

Thanks alot

rakdanit

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 17 2010, 05:16 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

I don't think you have a good install. I would remove it as follows:

Run the general clean tool
Search your registry for Nero and Ahead and delete all entries
Do an advanced search on your hard drive (don't do just indexed files) for Nero and Ahead and delete all entries
run Windows disk cleanup tool (make sure empty temporary files and empty recycle bin are checked)
reboot
Turn off anti-virus
reinstall Nero . Enter your purchased serial number during the installation.

I know it seems like a ominous procedure, but it should work. If you have any other issues after the clean install, we can address them.

+Quote Post
rakdanit
post Feb 17 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #3

Thanks for you suggestion....I'm not sure that this is the issue as I had this problem from the very beginning.

The computer came loaded with Nero Essential. I was told by the Nero Tech support team to just put in my registry key number and the program would up-date itself, which it did. I had the very same vidoe issues.

It's then that I started to uninstall and install a hundred times.

Could this be a Codecs problem?? Either with Nero 9 or Windows 7??? The program recognizes WMV files without any issues. Because of this I'm wondering if it does have something to do with Codecs or lack of.

I'm a little apprehensive to do as you suggested because of the inconsistency of the installs...eveything else is working right now. I can burn audio CDs, I can burn a few copies without a CD tray issue or non recogonition of blank CD. This is more important to me than the video. With the video I can always convert my MPG, AVI and MP4 to WMV files....which it recognizes and plays without issue, but this is not what I want to do.

Thanks again for your suggestions and for any other you might have.

Rakdanit

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 17 2010, 08:40 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

When you said in your initial post that you installed Nero 9, I thought you had the full version.

When you get Essentials with a drive, there's no telling what the capabilities are since the drive manufacturer specifies that. You can go to tech support with your serial number and they can tell you what you have, function wise.

If you are trying to create a DVD-Video, you can't do it in Express. I'm not certain what capabilities Burning Rom has in this regard in Essentials.

So let's start over again. Tell me exactly what you do, step by step, when you go into either Burning Rom or Express until you run into a problem.

+Quote Post
rakdanit
post Feb 17 2010, 10:55 PM
Post #5

Yes I do have the full version now...I downloaded the trial version from the internet and then put in the registration key number.

As I mentioned before, this problem has been going on for sometime. I even bought a NEW Nero 9, three days ago, that says on the box, "Compatible with Windows 7" (the previous version I had was purchased in October), thinking that maybe the disc from October was damaged or something. It still didn't work. I had problems installing..I had to do it a few times...I finallly gave up and downloaded the trial version from the internet and inserted my key number. (that's 200 dollars down the drain)

I mentioned Nero Essential just to explain to you that from the beginning, with my new computer, which was purchased in January, I have had this specific problem along with the others I mentioned. Actually, it was Nero Tech Support who told me to open Nero Essential Control Centre and add the key number. It didn't work....

Anyways, here is what I do: with Nero Express

1) I open Videos/Pictures

2) I open Video CD

3) I click "add" and choose the video clip that I want.

When I choose a wmv file, it loads it in the window and then I click play, to test it and all is well...when I choose MPG, AVI, or MP4, it loads it in the window and when I click play to test it, I have a visual but no audio and I receive the message that I wrote previously: "Some of the streams in this movie are in an unsuppoted format"

The exact same thing happens when I choose Nero Burning Rom and I choose DVD...

I hope this is helpful..

Thanks alot

Nona

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 18 2010, 12:33 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

When you bought the boxed version, it probably had a sticker on it that said Reloaded but it isn't. You have to download V9.4.26 (V9 Reloaded).

I don't know how you spent $200 unless that's what you paid for the boxed version. The trial version is free and when you inserted your purchased serial number during the install, you got the full version with everything enabled. You should also get Backitup and Burn free when you got Reloaded. You have to download it.

Unless they mispoke, they wanted you to go to Nero Startsmart, open the toolbox and go to Nero Control Center\license and enter your serial number. As far as I know, there's no Nero Essential Control Centre.

If the videos you have happen to have digital theater sound (DTS), then you might need the DTS plug-in. However, don't take my word for it. Go to the Online chat and ask them if you need the plug-in to add video with DTS into the different apps. However, I can't believe that every movie you have would have DTS unless you're taking movies off DVD's or the internet which happen to have it. Are you?

Another reason you might get this message is if the videos are copyrighted or DRM protected. If so, you can't do anything with them in Nero.

It finally dawned on me that you can't use these kind of files in the trial version. I suspect that's the real problem.
So, what you need to do is open Startsmart. In the lower left corner is a fire icon. Click on that, select toolbox and then select Nero Control Center. Go to License. Is your purchased serial number there? If not add it in.

Does this fix it? If not, go to My Nero, My Profile and select Register My Product. There you will be able to add in your purchased serial number and your product will be registered.

+Quote Post
rakdanit
post Feb 18 2010, 02:03 AM
Post #7

My serial number is already there, so I'm pretty sure that I'm running the full version. I'm pretty sure that I do not have DTS...I used Nero 8 for years with the same videos without problems!!!!

Why did I spend $200...I bought two Nero 9s...as I said one in October...had the same problems that I have now, but I thought that maybe it was an old disc...pre-Windows 7 launch, so I just bought another.....same problems. couldn't load the disc, downloaded the trial version and used my Licence number.

It makes no sense to me...All video files worked great with Nero 8 and Windows XP...now, WMV files are the only ones that work.

So what do I do now??

Thanks

Nona

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 18 2010, 03:39 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Did you do the registration, as I suggested?

Before you installed, did you run the General clean tool, run Windows disk cleanup, reboot and turn off anti-virus?

Are any of the files small enough to post so I can try it?

This post has been edited by wither: Feb 18 2010, 03:41 AM

+Quote Post
rakdanit
post Feb 18 2010, 08:37 AM
Post #9

I will register as you suggested and then try it again.

As for the files..what is the largest size I can post??

I'll get back to you after I register..maybe that will solve it.

Thanks

Rakdanit

+Quote Post
rakdanit
post Feb 18 2010, 08:45 AM
Post #10

I just registered as you suggested....this didn't help..?????

Rakdanit

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 18 2010, 04:25 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

The max size file you can post is 4.5Mb. E-mail me one.

I really think an uninstall\reinstall, following the instructions above, will fix it but send me a file and I'll see if it does the same thing to me.

This post has been edited by wither: Feb 19 2010, 12:47 AM

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 19 2010, 12:46 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

I received the mpg file you sent Rakdanit and now I see what you're talking about.

In looking at the Express help file, I think I know why it's doing it.

In the help file for DVD-Video, it say you can't create a DVD-Video with video files in Nero express and then goes on to tell you how to create a DVD-Video. I was scratching my head (to be nice). I was thinking, what other kind of video file would you burn on a DVD-Video until it dawned on me that a DVD-Video video file is different than a standard video file. I got the same problem when I tried to burn a DVD-Video in Burning Rom except the message told me about all kinds of things the Video-TS couldn't contain. Of course, I didn't have a Video-TS.

It didn't say that about a Video CD but I think it should. I purposely downloaded a different mpg yesterday and I got the same problem. So even though when you try to add a video file to Express and mpg, mpeg etc. is supported, it must have to be in a Video-Cd format. The only distinction I can think of is that a Video-Cd is in mpeg-1 format and unless the files are compliant with that, then you can't do it. I still wonder because when you try to add the file, it says it has to convert it to a compatible format and then apparently creates a file that is not compliant.

Apparently, the older versions of Nero were more flexible (probably out of necessity).

On the brighter side, you can create any kind of project you want with the mpg you sent me in Vision. That's what I'd recommend you do with this and any other type.

I hope this resolves the issue.

This post has been edited by wither: Feb 19 2010, 12:51 AM

+Quote Post
rakdanit
post Feb 19 2010, 07:11 PM
Post #13

Hi Wither..Thank you very much!!

Well... firstly I'm happy to hear that you too found the same problem as I have had for the past few months. I'm no computer expert and thought that maybe this whole problem was with me and with something that I did or didn't do.

I was also happy to hear that I can use Vision to create the Video CDs that I need..

I'm quite unhappy that for the last two-three months Nero Tech support didn't know anything about the problem existing with Nero Express and Nero Buring Rom and that they never mentioned using Vision as a solution. I could have saved myself $100 dollars and all the aggravation I have had over this.

I really hope that they find a fix for this, as I prefer using Nero Express, as I did successfully with Nero 8 for a long time!

I tried Vision and it did work with all the video formats that I have. Interesting that Vision supports the streams that Express and Burning Rom couldn't support??? It really doesn't make sense to me, as it is all the same program?? But like I said, I'm no computer expert.

My only concern with creating the discs with Vision is that the teachers I give the Videos to, might encounter problems opening the disc, if they do not have Nero loaded on there computer.

Anyways, thanks for all of your help and if you have any voice with the Nero people, maybe you can encourage them to find a fix for this problem. A whole lot of my valuable time and money was wasted due to this ongoing problem!

All the best

Rakdanit

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 19 2010, 09:22 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Oh why did you pay for support. :rolleyes: There are three levels of free support.

By the way, I had a discussion with Nero today about this at the chat line. It's just the way I told you. The codecs used in Vision are different than those in Burning Rom and, of course, Express since the latter two are basically the same program with different interfaces. Don't look for any changes. Note that the nero suite is made up of programs developed by different software companies. Since these are licensed, I don't think they'll change because of the costs. That's my opinion and I may be wrong.

Anyway, you won't have any problems with the discs without Nero. The idea behind DVD-Video and Video-Cd is that they are compatible with most machines. The most issues come up if you don't use a Cd-r\rw type disk or a Dvd-r\rw type disk. They are the ones most compatible with most machines. That doesn't mean another type disc won't work. It just may not work on all machines.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic