Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Backitup bootable disc doesn't work
kevinjp
post Nov 22 2009, 08:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,619,943

I made a bootable disc in Nero backitup and backed up my whole C drive onto a USB HDD. Yesterday I had to wipe my C drive and reinstall Windows.

Now, when I try to boot from the bootable disc, nothing happens. It shows the splash screen, then says 'Linux starting' and then the screen goes blank.

Why does it say Linux?? Creating the bootable disc on XP had no options, so it was simply a matter of click and burn. I've made a new disc and the same happens.

Any ideas?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Nov 22 2009, 05:02 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Hi- I will try to help

Linux is what Nero uses on the bootable disk, so don't be concerned about that. That issue came up before and it really surprised me. It kind of makes sense because Backitup is supposed to run from the bootable disk without Windows being loaded. Therefore, they must use a Linux version of Backitup to run the restore.

What operating system are you using and what version of Nero did you use to do the backup with?

You don't mention why you had to wipe your hard drive. If there was nothing wrong with what you backed up, you didn't need to reinstall windows. You should have just restored your backup. It get's a little thorny because you now have a good copy of Windows on your hard drive and you're going to try to replace it with a backup.

This post has been edited by wither: Nov 22 2009, 05:15 PM

+Quote Post
kevinjp
post Nov 23 2009, 12:13 PM
Post #3

Thanks for replying. I'm using XP, trying to recover with 2.9.1. (the same version I made the backup and bootable disc with)

About Linux, yes, that makes sense.

I didn't mention 'why' because it isn't important. You didn't really need to presume a scenario unnecessarily! Windows had failed to boot and I tried everything I could think of, including BartPE, Paragon Rescue Kit, other tools; it wouldn't even boot to safe mode, and my hardware tested ok. (I'm suspecting the very recent upgrade to AVG9 was the culprit, but that's all by the way). Windows was working perfectly when I last made the drive backup, so I'm hoping to get that restored. I had a separate copy of Documents and Settings, luckily.

The point is, I didn't worry about using my PC's recovery disc because I have a full disc backup - but I can't recover it.

+Quote Post
wither
post Nov 23 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

I asked why you had to wipe your drive just to point out that, if you make a backup of a OS which has a problem, then restoring it after wiping would just give you the original problem back.

There is a thread about failures of a bootable disk to boot on page 2 of this part of the forum but no one posted a final resolution. For those with a Vista system, Nero tech support waived there hands at it saying something about manufacturers not updating their drivers.

You initially said you had to reinstall windows. In your last reply you said, if I'm getting this straight, that you didn't use the Windows recovery disk because you wanted to restore the system via the backup. Are you communicating with me on a different computer or did you actually reinstall windows?

When you backed up to your USB HDD did you use the Image tool? If so, the image tool should be on that drive. As I understand it, if you make the USB drive the first bootable option in your BIOS, then it should access the image tool when you start up. I'm skating on thin ice here.

Otherwise, you could try creating a bootable Nero Backitup Image Tool disc and run that.
If you can get that to run, then the image tool should be able to find the USB drive.

+Quote Post
kevinjp
post Nov 25 2009, 01:30 AM
Post #5

Thanks for taking the time.

I did recover the PC from my recovery CD, so I have a fresh install now. As I said, when I made the backup Windows was running perfectly, so recovering that backup would be preferential so I can get back all the installed software and user data related to them.

Yes, the image is on my USB drive, that is why I am trying to access it with the Nero bootable disc.

The problem is solely that the bootable disc does nothing whatsoever, but your suggestion of making my USB drive the first bootable drive sounds like worth a try, thanks.

+Quote Post
snoopy-yl
post May 16 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,776,366

Hi, I have the same problem on a Lenovo W700 using Windows7.
I use Nero BackItUp 2.7.7.3

I created the bootable CD. Nothing could go wrong. I have the DataStation maxi g.u (2 TeraBytes) in its USB port ready to receive the "image file".
But when I try to use it and boot from the CD I get follwing error.

a) the splash screen appears .. Ok
b) it waits few seconds
c) then the Linux boot aps switches to a linux console mode showing some errors that there is no bootable application on the CD.
d) it asks you to enter the return key to switch "to this console". Then it's up to you ... in the linux system. Nothing a normal person could use.

I did create 2 CDs in the same way... same error.

Questions :
is there any update for the Windows 7 (Lenovo W700) ?
Is there any drivers not compatible to Nero backItUp2 Essential on Windows 7 ?

Thanks for some support.

This post has been edited by snoopy-yl: May 16 2010, 07:30 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post May 16 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

The only versions of Nero that are win 7 compatible are 9.4.26 and 10. I assume this would apply to Backitup- Backitup 4 and above should be compatible.

However it's an interesting question. All the bootable disk does is boot into Linux and the Image Tool so you can access and restore your backup. However, when you're in Linux, the Image Tool only sees Linux and no other OS so why isn't it loading? It sounds like the Win 7 incompatible version of Backitup can't create a usable Image Tool.

I would e-mail tech support about this one just to be sure.

This post has been edited by wither: May 16 2010, 09:06 PM

+Quote Post

Closed Topic