Start new topic
> [Solved] How to reinstall Nero 8 - Nero 8 and Windows 7
Schwack
post Nov 8 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,603,869

Hey Guys,

This week I'm planning to buy Windows 7 Professional Edition 64 bit. I was planning to do a "fresh install" and have started inventorying my program on what to backup. I realized that I did a direct download when I bought/ordered Nero 8. So my question is how do I go about backing up that software???? I noticed on Nero's site there is an Upgrade Nero 8 DVD for $12.99 which states i could use it for a future re-installations but it also states that I must have a Nero 8 on my PC. This won't work since I'll erase Nero 8 when I do a Windows 7 install.

How can I use my copy of Nero 8 on my fresh install???? I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Nov 9 2009, 12:09 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

You don't say what OS you're coming from.

You should have the dowloaded Nero .exe installation file on your computer. I would just copy that file to a CD. Don't do a backup. That way you'll have an installation disk.

Make sure you have the V8 serial number written down before you uninstall the old OS.

At the same time, I could copy all the Nero folders on your C:\ drive to the same CD. You should also include those in the C:\administrator\Appdata\Nero. I don't think any of the files will help because just copying them to your new OS won't install them but then you never know if you'll need them.

By the way, the only version of Nero which is Win 7 compatible is Nero 9 Reloaded. If you buy it, you'll get Backitup and Burn free. I'm not saying V8 won't run but you may find a problem here and there. On the other hand, you should be able to run it with Virtual XP which is a part of Win 7.

In the end, if you have a problem installing V8 and have the serial number, I think that Nero would allow you to download V8 again (I don't think it's normally available).

Does this help?

This post has been edited by wither: Nov 9 2009, 12:11 AM

+Quote Post
Schwack
post Nov 9 2009, 01:03 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (wither @ Nov 9 2009, 01:09 AM) *
You don't say what OS you're coming from.

You should have the dowloaded Nero .exe installation file on your computer. I would just copy that file to a CD. Don't do a backup. That way you'll have an installation disk.

Make sure you have the V8 serial number written down before you uninstall the old OS.

At the same time, I could copy all the Nero folders on your C:\ drive to the same CD. You should also include those in the C:\administrator\Appdata\Nero. I don't think any of the files will help because just copying them to your new OS won't install them but then you never know if you'll need them.

By the way, the only version of Nero which is Win 7 compatible is Nero 9 Reloaded. If you buy it, you'll get Backitup and Burn free. I'm not saying V8 won't run but you may find a problem here and there. On the other hand, you should be able to run it with Virtual XP which is a part of Win 7.

In the end, if you have a problem installing V8 and have the serial number, I think that Nero would allow you to download V8 again (I don't think it's normally available).

Does this help?

My apologies.....I have Vista Ultimate. I am going to look for that .exe file for I have thought of that but my most of my downloads go into my downloads folder and I didn't see it there. Yes, I have recorded my serial number for the installation. After I posted this message - I did check to see if Nero 8 is compatible with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and did see that the only version that is supported is Windows 9. Ugh. I don't want to buy that version if I just upgraded to Nero 8 last year!!!

Thanks for the advice and I'm going to start looking for the download file.

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Nov 9 2009, 07:25 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,466,818

Hi Schwack,

If you don´t find it, you can download the Nero 8 installer for free from our web page:

http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero8-update.php

Just enter your e-mail address in the "E-mail address" box, to activate the Download button.

Regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post
Schwack
post Nov 9 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Infohelp @ Nov 9 2009, 08:25 PM) *
Hi Schwack,

If you don´t find it, you can download the Nero 8 installer for free from our web page:

http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero8-update.php

Just enter your e-mail address in the "E-mail address" box, to activate the Download button.

Regards,

Infohelp

Thanks Infohelp. I appreciate the info and it appears that I can download Nero 8 (I can't find the original download exe file) from that link but I guess it's a moot point since Nero 8 isn't compatible with Windows 7. So it appears I have to upgrade to Nero 9 for Windows 7 and I don't need to have Nero 8 on the PC to upgrade to Nero 9. Bummer......

+Quote Post
wither
post Nov 10 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

As I mentioned to you earlier, you should be able to run V8 in Virtual XP which comes with Win 7. In fact, you should be able to run it in compatibility mode since the program is not 16 bit.

+Quote Post
Guest_ploughman_*
post Nov 10 2009, 09:10 AM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (Schwack @ Nov 8 2009, 11:57 PM) *
Hey Guys,

This week I'm planning to buy Windows 7 Professional Edition 64 bit. I was planning to do a "fresh install" and have started inventorying my program on what to backup. I realized that I did a direct download when I bought/ordered Nero 8. So my question is how do I go about backing up that software???? I noticed on Nero's site there is an Upgrade Nero 8 DVD for $12.99 which states i could use it for a future re-installations but it also states that I must have a Nero 8 on my PC. This won't work since I'll erase Nero 8 when I do a Windows 7 install.

How can I use my copy of Nero 8 on my fresh install???? I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!!!

I believe if you use this update disc you will be able to enter your product code, assuming you still have reference to it and/or the order form which I believe quoted the code. There is a routine on the website to obtain the product code from the register, but I am not sure if this is applicable to Nero 8. Another method would to open one of the option in StartSmart which should list the product code.

This post has been edited by ploughman: Nov 10 2009, 09:12 AM

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Nov 12 2009, 02:48 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,466,818

Hi Schwack,

Yes, correct, Nero 8 is not compatible with Windows 7, but in case you want to install your Nero 8 version under another system, then you can use the download I posted and your serial number. The latest Nero 8 update is the complete Nero 8 version, so you don´t need to have Nero 8 installed on your computer before.

I will close this topic, and all answers have been given.

Regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post

Closed Topic