Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> NMMediaServerService.exe - 99% cpu at all times
pjtarheel
post Nov 3 2009, 04:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,596,217

NMMediaServerService.exe is running around 99% at all times, even when I have stopped the server and exited the application. It runs under a NeroMediaHomeUser.4 user name and I can't even end the process through task manager. This makes the software useless to me if it is going to run my CPU at 100% at all times.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks!

Paul
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Nov 3 2009, 07:07 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Go to Task Manager\ either services or processes and stop it. You can also go to your startup folder and remove it from the list of programs running when you start up.

Does this help.

+Quote Post
wheels4me
post Nov 14 2009, 02:57 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,585,148

It is happening on my Windows 7 PC as of yesterday. Nero had been running fine for a couple of months and now it is sucking all the power out my CPU. As a temp fix, I have it set to run at the lowest priority (idle) so my other programs work, but it is heating up the CPU and causing the fan to be way to loud even on idle.

+Quote Post
wither
post Nov 14 2009, 03:56 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Did you try the suggestions I provided above? The only way it can be using power, if you haven't started it, is if it's running in the background. The suggestions I provided disable it.

Does this help?

+Quote Post
plugge49
post Dec 8 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,639,518

QUOTE (wither @ Nov 14 2009, 04:56 AM) *
Did you try the suggestions I provided above? The only way it can be using power, if you haven't started it, is if it's running in the background. The suggestions I provided disable it.

Does this help?

If I use task manager to shut down the process it pops up again after a few seconds. This and the fact that it makes my server pc working relly hard annoys me. There is no reason that this program should hijack system resources at this level when freeware doesn´t. I had to uninstall the Nero application to get things back to normal. This is NOT what I payed for.

+Quote Post
wither
post Dec 9 2009, 03:09 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I had the same problem with Backitup and Burn and Nero Reloaded. I had to go into Task Manager and end two Backitup and Burn processes in the Services section and another in the Processes section. I submitted the problem to Nero. In the meantime, over about a week of doing this, Backitup and Burn finally quit doing it and it's been good for two weeks. The only time I had the problem was when I came out of sleep mode. It didn't happen when I did a restart or cold boot. I believe this was caused by a conflict between Backitup and Burn and the backup program in Nero. Nero is looking at that since I told them I thought it was causing run time errors that others were experiencing. If you have another media program (not WMP) running, it may be conflicting. In that vein, you said you uninstalled Nero and things got back to normal. Have you reinstalled Nero and NMH and everything is working?

If it's not working, the best immediate solution is to delete NeroMediaHome from your Startup folder so it doesn't start and run in the background when you boot your computer. I don't have NMH so I don't know how many of it's components are in the Services and Processes of Task Manager. I'm guessing you're not turning all of them off but they should be readily recognized. could be some in there for Tivo.

Whether or not it's working, I believe you ought to report the problem to Nero tech support via e-mail. Others may be reporting this error by e-mail (but not in the forum) and they may be working on it for the next update.

Hope this helps.

+Quote Post
paaland3
post Jan 31 2010, 01:07 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,694,110

Any updates on this issue? I just bough an LG BD390 which came with Nero MediaHome essentials. I seemed to work ok, and since I wanted more :) I purchased the full version. But now the NMMMediaServerService.exe is running at 100% CPU constantly. Even stopping the service from within the config app does not help. I get service stopped, but the CPU usage still continues at 100%. If I kill the process it will just restart automatically and jump straight back to 100%. Only stopping the service properly from the service console has any effect. But then of cause the app does not work anymore.

Can it be that one file in the folders it indexes are corrupt and that craches MediaHome? I stopped the service and deleted the *.db files from
C:\Documents and Settings\NeroMediaHomeUser.4\Local Settings\Application Data\Nero\Nero MediaHome 4\ and then restarted the server. Helped for a bit, but now the 100% CPU problem is back.

Nero: You really need to look into this problem!

+Quote Post
wither
post Jan 31 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Nero won't see this problem here since a Nero employee only comes into the forum once in a while. As a result, you will need to report it to tech support.

When we were going back and forth on this issue, it didn't dawn on me that Mediahome is not shown as Win 7 compatible. However, if you have Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise, you could probably run it in Virtual XP. Do you have Win 7?

When in task manager, did you look at both proccesses and services for mediahome type files? By any chance is NBagent.exe*32 or NBService.exe*32 present?

Did you go into your Startup folder and delete everything Nero?

This post has been edited by wither: Jan 31 2010, 07:00 PM

+Quote Post
paaland3
post Feb 1 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,694,110

QUOTE (wither @ Jan 31 2010, 06:54 PM) *
Nero won't see this problem here since a Nero employee only comes into the forum once in a while. As a result, you will need to report it to tech support.

When we were going back and forth on this issue, it didn't dawn on me that Mediahome is not shown as Win 7 compatible. However, if you have Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise, you could probably run it in Virtual XP. Do you have Win 7?

When in task manager, did you look at both proccesses and services for mediahome type files? By any chance is NBagent.exe*32 or NBService.exe*32 present?

Did you go into your Startup folder and delete everything Nero?

I'm running MediaHome on Windows 2003 Server 32bit and that's listed as a compatible OS. The only processes was NeroMediaHome.exe which is the GUI application, this does not consume a lot of CPU and the NMMediaServerService.exe which was stuck at 100% CPU. The first process is owned by the current user while the second process is owned by a user called NeroMediaHomeUser.4.

I removed my pictures and audio folders from the list of folders that MediaHome indexes. Then I did a full rebuild of the index. Now my problem has, at least for now, gone. I originally set MediaHome to also serve about 6.500 mp3 files and 11.000 images. It took ages to index the first time, but I though MediaHome would handle it.

+Quote Post
filecore
post Mar 15 2010, 12:22 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,730,282

Have you tried going to Services (Start -> Run or just press Win+R and then type services.msc), scrolling down to Nero MediaHome 4 Service (NeroMediaHomeService.4) and setting startup type to manual? This will ensure that it starts only when started from the MediaHome console, which you access through the Start menu, rather than running at system startup.

+Quote Post
Churky
post Aug 26 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,819,548

QUOTE (filecore @ Mar 15 2010, 12:22 PM) *
Have you tried going to Services (Start -> Run or just press Win+R and then type services.msc), scrolling down to Nero MediaHome 4 Service (NeroMediaHomeService.4) and setting startup type to manual? This will ensure that it starts only when started from the MediaHome console, which you access through the Start menu, rather than running at system startup.

I am still having this problem and I have updated to the 4.5.8.0B. I am waiting for tech support for a real answer since this problem has been going on for a while from the back date of these posts.

but I do have a question to people who try to reply with answers. I pay for a service/software, why are you asking me to not run it? This isnt a solution. this is just a way to bandaid what the underlining problem. Why is Nero Indexes takes so long, secondly why is it reindexing everything when barely anything changes. I am sure the person with 11000 photos arent going to change 11000 photos daily. Same goes with MP3, once it is added there isnt really much going to change.

Finally and this is what bothers me the most. What exactly is nero indexing? I am a software developer and I know it takes about 5 seconds to load 20,000 file names into memory, there isnt really anything needed to be done, you have a file and you have a location, what is indexing do?

+Quote Post
ruddi
post Sep 12 2010, 07:31 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 8,824,947

Yesterday I installed 4.5.8.0B on a XP system and had nearly 100% load (at one core) as soon as the NMMediaServerService starts.
After re-installation, changing several settings and reducing the number on indexed files without effect, I removed the not working standard links from the internet services table and changed the update interval from automatic to daily. At this moment the heavy CPU load disappeared and it remained at 0% as long no service was requested.
The NMMediaServerService seems to be locked by waiting for unreachable internet services in the automatic update loop after the standard installation.

+Quote Post
Mrbelphy
post Sep 13 2010, 10:16 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,203,258

Hello rudi,

at the moment we know about this issue and we try to fix it.

Thanks for your info

regards
mrbelphy

+Quote Post
WSUCougar
post Sep 16 2010, 07:38 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 8,826,213

QUOTE (Mrbelphy @ Sep 13 2010, 10:16 AM) *
Hello rudi,

at the moment we know about this issue and we try to fix it.

Thanks for your info

regards
mrbelphy

Say Mrbelphy,

It's been 2 years since your reply and my MediaHome 4 Essentials runs constantly and my hard drive is going crazy. I love this program when it works, but it craps out constantly too with my LG Blu Ray player and my DirecTV DVR. Do ya think that you'll be fixing this soon? BTW, I updated the files, so I'm running the latest ones.

+Quote Post
spacey100
post Nov 25 2010, 05:53 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 8,856,326

QUOTE---It's been 2 years since your reply and my MediaHome 4 Essentials runs constantly and my hard drive is going crazy. I love this program when it works, but it craps out constantly too with my LG Blu Ray player and my DirecTV DVR. Do ya think that you'll be fixing this soon? I updated the files, so I'm running the latest ones.QUOTE------

Two years??? Damn dude. I got the LG bluray home theatre system and it came with nero media home essentials - had the same problem...will never stop running in the task manager even when off - ending the process in task manager makes it pop up 1 sec. later up to 300,000 kb continuously and making my fan run almost non-stop. You have to manually unclick your windows startup folder.

Go to start, run, type in "msconfig", then a window pops up, there are 2 different tabs towards the right "servies" and another one "startup". You have to manually uncheck Nero Media in both windows. You may as well unclick anything else that doesn't need to run all the time like Kodak Easyshare, or Adobe. Restart and a window asks you if you really want to do this, just click the box and done - never starts to run in the background until you click on the icon...

+Quote Post
spacey100
post Nov 25 2010, 08:13 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 8,856,326

UPDATE ------- This took me 2 hours to finally figure out. Do go to start,run,"msconfig", but do not unclick all of Nero. You have to keep Nero in the "services" tab checked, but uncheck Nero in the "Startup" tab. Make sure you hit apply and close, then restart and click the box that says don't show this on startup and don't go back into that menu. Then, do what this other guy says below, and press the window button + R and set Nero to "manual" - (if you hit disable it will never start), and make sure you hit apply and restart. Then remove any media you had, re-add them to the media library, and make sure you allow acess to the new connection, (mine was just called Nero). Holy shit, this was pissing me off. Now nothing will start up at your PC startup, and both programs: "neromediahome.exe" and "nmmediaserverservice.exe" will only run when you click the desktop icon. If you don't do exactly this, one or the other or both start up anyway... (This is for Windows XP)

One more thing...nerohomemedia.exe will quit in task manager, but not the other, but for some reason, I hit end process 3 times in a row for 'nmmediaservicesservice.exe' and it quit. Don't know why....

(((Thanks for wasting my 2 hours Nero)))

QUOTE (filecore @ Mar 15 2010, 12:22 PM) *

This post has been edited by spacey100: Nov 25 2010, 09:01 AM

+Quote Post
GyroGearlooseMS
post Nov 25 2010, 11:42 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,749,478

Hi there,

please try the following:
Go to "Shares" > "Online Services" and remove all entries there. This may help to solve the problem.

There may be some feeds that are not available any longer, which may cause this.
Please tell me if this solved the problem.

Best regards,
GyroGearlooseMS.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic