Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> [Solved] Suddenly Can't Open JPG in PhotoSnap
rslitman
post Sep 29 2009, 03:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,553,305

I've got PhotoSnap version 1.2.0.18, copyright is 2006. I'm a newcomer/latecomer to the world of digital photography. Just this past weekend, I discovered the wonders of editing the pictures I've taken and uploaded to my computer (running Windows XP). PhotoSnap happened to be what opened when I clicked on these JPG files, and that was great.

Until about an hour ago.

Now I am getting a message that JPG files from my hard drive can't be opened when I double-click on them. And when I try to Open from PhotoSnap, they are not getting put into the file list in the Open dialog box.

I can, however, continue to open these JPG files in other programs, such as Internet Explorer.

Please do not skirt answering this for me by sending me to:

http://www.nero.com/enu/support-faq.html?s...amp;t=Photosnap

and the topic contained there, "PhotoSnap is not able to open pictures anymore or filters and functions are missing." The interfaces referred to in item 2 do not exist in my version of PhotoSnap.

So, if you can give me step-by-step instructions pertaining to PhotoSnap version 1.2.0.18, that would be preferable to being referred to the above topic.

If the solution is that I need to upgrade to a newer version, please give me step-by-step instructions for doing this. I believe I have something called Nero 7, and various references here point to Nero 9 as being current.

Thanks very much in advance for any response you can give me. Also, please spell out any words you'd normally abbreviate because I get confused by abbreviations sometimes. Thanks!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Oct 5 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,466,818

Hi rslitman,

1) As far as I know it is impossible that you don´t have the plugin files in the PhotoSnap Directory. After a standard installation of Nero 7, you should find the PhotoSnap directory under the following path:

"C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero PhotoSnap". Can you please upload a screenshot displaying the files in this path?

2) In PhotoSnap please select "Options" (Hammer icon). Then please click on "Plugins....".

Please upload a screenshot displaying this options.

Regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post
rslitman
post Oct 11 2009, 03:00 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Infohelp @ Oct 5 2009, 07:34 PM) *
1) As far as I know it is impossible that you don´t have the plugin files in the PhotoSnap Directory. After a standard installation of Nero 7, you should find the PhotoSnap directory under the following path:

"C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero PhotoSnap". Can you please upload a screenshot displaying the files in this path?

2) In PhotoSnap please select "Options" (Hammer icon). Then please click on "Plugins....".

Please upload a screenshot displaying this options.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have uploaded a Word document, which is the only way I know how to capture screen shots right now. I hope this works for you. There are two screen shots included in it:

1. The files in the directory mentioned in item 1.

2. What I get when opening PhotoSnap, which does not include a Hammer icon or anything else that gives me "Options". If this screen looks familiar to you, can you (or anyone else reading this) please direct me to where I can get to "Options" or its equivalent from there. Or if I need a newer edition, please direct me to where I can find it. Thanks.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Nero_PhotoSnap_Directory_Screen_Shot.doc ( 149K ) Number of downloads: 2254

+Quote Post
wither
post Oct 12 2009, 03:23 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

The most likely reason for this is that Photosnap is not the default program to open a .jpg. Go to Control Panel, default programs, and edit the file associations (if that's the problem).

This could happen if you added any new programs recently that can open a .jpg.

+Quote Post
rslitman
post Oct 12 2009, 03:31 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (wither @ Oct 12 2009, 04:23 AM) *
The most likely reason for this is that Photosnap is not the default program to open a .jpg. Go to Control Panel, default programs, and edit the file associations (if that's the problem).

This could happen if you added any new programs recently that can open a .jpg.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I had already considered this, and this did not solve the problem. However, I have found that what I put in the Word document was a screen print from Nero PhotoSnap Viewer Essentials, not Nero PhotoSnap Essentials. I do see a Hammer icon in this one, and I will be uploading a new screen shot shortly. But I am still having the file opening problems.

+Quote Post
rslitman
post Oct 12 2009, 03:43 AM
Post #6

I've uploaded a revised document. It contains the following three screenshots:

1. The files in the directory mentioned in item 1. (unchanged from original)

2. The requested plug-ins display from the Hammer option. This is actually titled, "Search Plug-ins...".

3. Unrequested, but also possibly helpful - An Open dialog box from Nero PhotoSnap Essentials, with the default "Files of type:" value of "All image files". Please note that *.jpg is not a choice and that there are no files shown (other than a folder). When I switch to All Files (*.*), my *.JPG files do show up, but when I select any of them, I get the error. (I have not shown a screenshot for the *.JPGs in the directory or for the error message. I'll supply them upon request.)

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me on this, please.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Nero_PhotoSnap_Directory_Screen_Shot_Revised.doc ( 216.5K ) Number of downloads: 2627

+Quote Post
rslitman
post Oct 12 2009, 03:51 AM
Post #7

It's working again! Now that I realize I was using the wrong program in which to see the Hammer icon, I decided to follow the FAQ page instructions that I couldn't follow before. And now when I choose open, *.jpg is among the Image files, and the file opened okay. It was great to see the photo of my 80-year-old aunt receiving birthday greetings over the phone from my sister and my niece pop up in front of me!

Thanks to those who offered help.

+Quote Post
wither
post Oct 12 2009, 04:46 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Glad you got it working.

What is the program you used to successfully open and view your .jpg's?

By the way, the revised word document didn't get attached but I guess it doesn't matter any more.

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Oct 29 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,466,818

Good to hear that it is working - I think that he was using PhotoSnap and not PhotoSnap Viewer. In Nero 9 both applications are included in the same one: "Photosnap" - Solved -> Closed

+Quote Post

Closed Topic