Start new topic
> [Solved] NERO 9 Retail Version Install Issue after Windows XP Corruption
cpfb68
post Aug 28 2009, 04:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,510,967

Hey all,

I have been reading this forum for some answers and haven't come across an exact one but have tried all previous suggestions with no luck.

About 2 months ago, Windows XP SP3 had a hiccup and a system file got corrupt. I had to re-install XP over the top of the existing install. Somehow, during the process, the NERO folder was erased. No, this wasn't a format and install. I installed XP back into the origional XP folder. All other folders were intact except a few including NERO.
I had e-maild Tech Support 3-4 weeks ago with no answer.

I have tried to use the Nero 9 Cleaning tool but it can't find anything as the folder was erased. I run it and it has cleaned all personal files. I have run CC CLEANER to try and clean the regestery but the REG is new and has no NERO file in it.

I have disabled the Virus scan and tried to re-install the retail version from the disc and here is what I get:

SetupX.exe: critical error in installation of Nero. please contact support
Message : Setupx.exe: cantopen MSI database (path: E/Nero 9/ unit_app_30/unit.msi) for precondition checks. exiting deployement process...

I see others getting this message and they have managed to use the clean up tool and get it back in. I havent been so lucky. I have looked for the AHEAD/NERO files as well as the SHARED files and found nothing.

Nero 9 seems to be gone from my system but the install is still freaking out. I have sent a request to NERO TEXH SUPPORT with screen shots as well as the filles from the collection tool and havent heard back in 4 weeks.

Any other suggestions? I would really like to get it back as it was a good package of software.

By the way, It was installed and working 100% before the Windows XP Corruption

This post has been edited by cpfb68: Aug 28 2009, 04:44 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Aug 28 2009, 02:22 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,466,818

Hi cpfb68,

I just contacted TechSupport regarding your case, and they have sent you two e-mails with the steps to follow, one on August the 11th (in answer to your e-mail from August the 10th), and the second one on August the 18th (in answer to your e-mail from August the 15th). Apparently you didn´t receive the e-mails that our TechSupport sent you. Please check your spamfilter, if there are email from Nero. If not, please reduce your security settings of your anti-virus-program as well as of your email account, so you can receive the e-mails that TechSupport is sending you. If not contact TechSupport again. They are receiving your e-mail, and they have been answering them, but apparently you cannot receive them.

Regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post
halim22
post Aug 29 2009, 05:35 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,512,906

nero 8 or 9 dont works correctly if you have SP3 sometimes it gives u the message " corrupted"

it works good with SP2 and Vista

+Quote Post
cpfb68
post Sep 21 2009, 04:17 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Infohelp @ Aug 28 2009, 03:22 PM) *
Hi cpfb68,

I just contacted TechSupport regarding your case, and they have sent you two e-mails with the steps to follow, one on August the 11th (in answer to your e-mail from August the 10th), and the second one on August the 18th (in answer to your e-mail from August the 15th). Apparently you didn´t receive the e-mails that our TechSupport sent you. Please check your spamfilter, if there are email from Nero. If not, please reduce your security settings of your anti-virus-program as well as of your email account, so you can receive the e-mails that TechSupport is sending you. If not contact TechSupport again. They are receiving your e-mail, and they have been answering them, but apparently you cannot receive them.

Regards,

Infohelp

INFOHELP

I did get both e-mails and attempted to follow the procedures laid out in them exactly to the letter. I still have the install issue with the response of

SetupX.exe: critical error in installation of Nero. please contact support
Message : Setupx.exe: cantopen MSI database (path: E/Nero 9/ unit_app_30/unit.msi) for precondition checks. exiting deployement process...

I have sent another e-mail via Nero.com over two weeks ago with no response. Nothing has been cought in my spamfilter.

I can again send another e-mail to attempt to ask what else to do besides using the clean tool, grabbing all of the install data and sending it to them again if need be.

CPFB68

+Quote Post
cpfb68
post Sep 21 2009, 04:30 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (halim22 @ Aug 29 2009, 06:35 PM) *
nero 8 or 9 dont works correctly if you have SP3 sometimes it gives u the message " corrupted"

it works good with SP2 and Vista

I'm not sure if that was the issue. I had SP3 running when I installed Nero 9. It worked for a few weeks and then XP hung up with another program. When I tried to reboot, XP system files were corrupted. I re-installed XP and now I have issues with Nero 9. Didn't have any before crash and I dont think Nero 9 was the issue.

CPFB68

+Quote Post
cpfb68
post Sep 28 2009, 03:14 AM
Post #6

I finally got a new e-mail from support. It told me to run the Cleaning tool - Again. I tried to run it but It cant find anyting to clean.

I went into regedit and found under the software section in the reg a NERO folder. I deleted it and tried to install again. Still same error message with MSI database.

The e-mail went into not trying to install from the CD bu from a link that brought me to the download section for the upgrades. I rebooted the machine, tried to run the clean tool, went into the Reg and found the nero folder still there and deleted it again, downloaded the newest Nero-9.4.13.2d_update, and tried to install it. I took a screenshot of the error message. It sounds to me like you need to have a copy of Nero 9 installed to use the update file and make it work.

Attached File  2009_09_27_INSTALL_UPDATE.bmp ( 3.75MB ) Number of downloads: 602

I have no idea where to go from here. PLEASE HELP!!!!

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Sep 28 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Hi cpfb68,

I am sorry, but in this case there is not much that I can do to help you as I cannot see the installation log files. The best that you can do is to send a new generated Support.cab to Nero TechSupport. They are the only ones that can help you here without guessing, as they can see the log files in the NeroSupport.cab file.

Regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post
wither
post Sep 28 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Infohelp- Glad to see you're back. Lot's of technical issues for you to resolve.

In regards to this problem, I see a couple of things.

First, the setupx.exe is looking at drive E:. Is this an external hard drive? I don't think the Windows MSI folder would be on this drive. It should be on the C drive. Maybe some clarification of how the E: drive gets involved would help.

Second, when manually cleaning the registry, a search should be made on both Nero and Ahead. There will be more than one entry for Nero and possibly Ahead.

Third: After running the Clean tool and checking the registry, a person should run the Windows disk clean tool, making sure that "temporary files" and "empty recycle bin" are checked. Then turn off AV and try the install.

+Quote Post
cpfb68
post Sep 29 2009, 04:15 AM
Post #9

I wanted to sat thanks to all the end users with their ideas. This morning I managed to get the most recent update to install and run. :D

What I did was as follows, (This is for an XP system with SP3)

1) Download the latest UPGRADE Nero 9 to a folder labeled as NERO

2) Open the Regedit and search for "NERO" (I didnt search for "Ahead" as I didn't know to!) and delete all entries that had "NERO" in them

3) Run the CLEAN TOOL (The general one not the specific NERO one) and point it at the NERO folder where I downloaed the UPGRADE NERO 9

4) CLEAN TOOL recognised a NERO install (somewhere) and cleaned the system. REBOOT

5) Run the NERO 9 Upgrade file and install. Complete and running in 15 Mins!!

I don't understand whythe CLEANTOOL had to see some sort of NERO file to clean the system but before, it wouldn't bring up any selection to pick from.

Again Thanks to all End users with their ideas. 3 Months and not giving up worked!(With help from a LOT of people) :lol:

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Sep 29 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Hi cpfb68!
Glad to hear that the problem has been solved! Hope that you can now enjoy your Nero version!
Regards,
Infohelp

+Quote Post

Closed Topic