Start new topic
> new features in Nero 14?
feline1
post Aug 29 2013, 10:37 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,887,014

Hi, as owner of a registered copy of Nero 12, I got a promo email today offering a discounting upgrade for Nero 14.

I am indeed interested in this - but I can't find ANY info whatsoever regarding what new features or bugfixes Nero 14 offers. Does anyone have any info?
One thing I'm interested in is if it's available as a native 64 bit application.
Also, is it now touch-enabled in any way for Windows 8?

Seems odd to be sent an invite to pre-buy something without any info on what it contains!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Aug 29 2013, 12:51 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,905,902

Why you are asking here ? Ask Nero directly by email.

... and let us know their answer here that the issue is clarified for all readers of your thread.

+Quote Post
wither
post Aug 29 2013, 04:28 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

I wonder if they're going to skip lucky 13? I know there's supposed to be an update to v12 in September but haven't heard anything about a new version. It has been a year since v12 came out.

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Aug 29 2013, 05:16 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8,784,165

You can find some information about nero 2014 here:
http://www.nero.com/enu/promotions/grace-2...latinum-upg.php
For example, Ultra HD support was added

+Quote Post
ArmandLiberi
post Aug 29 2013, 05:25 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,367,416

QUOTE (feline1 @ Aug 29 2013, 10:37 AM) *
Hi, as owner of a registered copy of Nero 12, I got a promo email today offering a discounting upgrade for Nero 14.

I am indeed interested in this - but I can't find ANY info whatsoever regarding what new features or bugfixes Nero 14 offers. Does anyone have any info?
One thing I'm interested in is if it's available as a native 64 bit application.
Also, is it now touch-enabled in any way for Windows 8?

Seems odd to be sent an invite to pre-buy something without any info on what it contains!

The email does include a link to "Learn more ...", but there's not much more there. One thing added is support for something called Ultra HD:

Ultra high definition television, I guess.

The system requirements still say that, "On 64 bit operating systems, applications run in 32 bit emulation mode." However, a 64-bit OS is required a other points! See the attached.

What's fixed? What's not fixed? I don't see any Release Notes referenced anywhere.

Finally, I think this is an appropriate place to discuss this and get answers/clarifications from Nero. In fact, I think they would save themselves a lot of email, etc., by simply opening an official Nero topic on the subject.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Nero14vsNero12_PlatinumSystemRequirements.pdf ( 124.63K ) Number of downloads: 700

+Quote Post
wither
post Aug 29 2013, 08:25 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I wonder if they're trying to tell us there won't be an upcoming update to v12? This would be a poor approach on their part for those people who already have v12 unless the upgrade price is super low. Perhaps v14 will be free to everyone who has v12.

+Quote Post
ArmandLiberi
post Aug 29 2013, 08:31 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wither @ Aug 29 2013, 08:25 PM) *
I wonder if they're trying to tell us there won't be an upcoming update to v12? This would be a poor approach on their part for those people who already have v12 unless the upgrade price is super low. Perhaps v14 will be free to everyone who has v12.

It's a little early in the day! :-}

+Quote Post
feline1
post Aug 29 2013, 09:19 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (hg-dude @ Aug 29 2013, 12:51 PM) *
Why you are asking here ?

Because it's the Nero forum and someone might know!

QUOTE (hg-dude @ Aug 29 2013, 12:51 PM) *
. and let us know their answer here that the issue is clarified for all readers of your thread.

I certainly won't let *you* know.

+Quote Post
feline1
post Aug 29 2013, 09:23 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ArmandLiberi @ Aug 29 2013, 05:25 PM) *
The email does include a link to "Learn more ...", but there's not much more there. One thing added is support for something called Ultra HD:

Ultra high definition television, I guess.

The system requirements still say that, "On 64 bit operating systems, applications run in 32 bit emulation mode." However, a 64-bit OS is required a other points! See the attached.

Well spotted! It is disappointing to think Nero will still only be a 32 bit program...... but non-sensical if it requires 64bit for editing 4K video (which does seem to be the only "new feature" hinted at - but srsly, Nero, I mean come on! You really think domestic users will be shooting 4K video and editing it at home? That's just a gimmick!

+Quote Post
feline1
post Aug 29 2013, 09:24 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wither @ Aug 29 2013, 08:25 PM) *

The email I got was offering an upgrade at £40 (discounted from a full price of £90). Seems a pretty decent discount...... but not one I'd take advantage of without proper info on what I'm buying!

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Aug 29 2013, 09:46 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Come on, girls and guys. Take it as what it is, - vague promises of a promotion action. Some more of this kind may be expected until end of the year. So, why thinking about unlaid eggs, if not even 12 is really hatched ?

The only we really know is, that it will not give a Nero 13. This is 12.5 instead.

And remember, as experience shows from the past, the new must not automatically better then the old.

QUOTE (ArmandLiberi @ Aug 29 2013, 05:25 PM) *

Finally, I think this is an appropriate place to discuss this and get answers/clarifications from Nero. In fact, I think they would save themselves a lot of email, etc., by simply opening an official Nero topic on the subject.

Armand, your idea is good but there should an MVP be, who should open a thread for this issue because MVPs get the new version at first for testing, ev. for prototyping. There we can join to with our requirements.

feline1, because you have Nero 12 standard the offer refers only to an upgrade to Nero 12.5 Platinum (the content packs). This puts the special price in another perspective. The free offer of 14 is only the piece of sugar in this deal. So if you don^t need the content packs, forget it.

This post has been edited by hg-dude: Aug 29 2013, 10:00 PM

+Quote Post
feline1
post Aug 29 2013, 10:18 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

No, hg-duufus,
the email I am talking about this thread contains the following:

"Nero 2014 Platinum will be released in September 2013. This offer is valid for download version of Nero 2014 Platinum. When Nero 2014 Platinum is released, you will receive an e-mail with your serial number and the link to your free download. This offer is valid in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa until September 17, 2013"

Select valued customers like myself :lol: are being offered £50 off the RRP of Nero 14 Platinum, if we pay our cash in the next couple of weeks.
This sounds like a great deal...... except that there's no info on what the new features are.

+Quote Post
ArmandLiberi
post Aug 29 2013, 10:41 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (feline1 @ Aug 29 2013, 10:18 PM) *
No, hg-duufus,
the email I am talking about this thread contains the following:

"Nero 2014 Platinum will be released in September 2013. This offer is valid for download version of Nero 2014 Platinum. When Nero 2014 Platinum is released, you will receive an e-mail with your serial number and the link to your free download. This offer is valid in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa until September 17, 2013"

Select valued customers like myself :lol: are being offered £50 off the RRP of Nero 14 Platinum, if we pay our cash in the next couple of weeks.
This sounds like a great deal...... except that there's no info on what the new features are.

Yep! Mine said the same thing:
"Nero 2014 Platinum will be released in September 2013. This offer is valid for download version of Nero 2014 Platinum. When Nero 2014 Platinum is released, you will receive an e-mail with your serial number and the link to your free download. This offer is valid for USA/Canada/South America until September 17, 2013."

The language is really strange. First, you pay. Then, at an unspecified time later, you get a "free download." One has to wonder what these people are smoking!

+Quote Post
ArmandLiberi
post Aug 30 2013, 05:01 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Apparently, there were multiple offers made depending upon your Nero version.

Nero 12.5 owners

Older version owners

Others?

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Aug 30 2013, 10:07 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8,784,165

QUOTE (feline1 @ Aug 29 2013, 09:23 PM) *
Well spotted! It is disappointing to think Nero will still only be a 32 bit program...... but non-sensical if it requires 64bit for editing 4K video

Why this is disappointing? What advantage do you see in a 64 bit program?
For most cases, 64 bit has NO advantage - in opposite: As 32 bit code is more compact as 64 bit code, you get more cache-misses with 64 bit code - so, 64 bit code often is a little bit slower as 32-bit code.

So: Instead of spending time in makeing 64-bit variants of all applications, we decided to use 64 bit code only there, where it makes sense - and 4k video is a point, where it makes sense.

+Quote Post
wither
post Aug 30 2013, 05:21 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

What bothers me is that people who don't have Platinum won't get the free upgrade. If they don't have Platinum, will there be an update to fix existing problems or will they have to buy v14 to get them fixed?

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Aug 30 2013, 07:32 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

What means here free ? See post #14, in both cases you must buy an upgrade to Nero 12.5 Platinum. But it's just unfair, that you have to pay equal to much, independant you have Platinum or not.

I think, that if once 14 is released there will be also special offers for users of versions lower than 12,

.... if once !

This post has been edited by hg-dude: Aug 31 2013, 12:01 PM

+Quote Post
feline1
post Aug 30 2013, 07:34 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (jens-f @ Aug 30 2013, 10:07 AM) *
Why this is disappointing? What advantage do you see in a 64 bit program?
For most cases, 64 bit has NO advantage - in opposite: As 32 bit code is more compact as 64 bit code, you get more cache-misses with 64 bit code - so, 64 bit code often is a little bit slower as 32-bit code.

So: Instead of spending time in makeing 64-bit variants of all applications, we decided to use 64 bit code only there, where it makes sense - and 4k video is a point, where it makes sense.

Well (whilst I'm kinda talking out of my hat here ;) - my operating system is 64 bit. To run a 32-bit application, it has to run it in an emulator. I know it's Microsoft's own WOW emulator, and it works extremely well, but it's still inevitably produces overheads.

Compactness & efficiency of executables should be down to the quality of the compiler, not whether they're 64 or 32 bit.

I don't actually know what a "cache-miss" is, but it sounds like something the operating system should be taking care of or preventing, and you make it sound like 64 bit OSes are inherently worse in this regard, which sounds a bit unlikely.

But, yeah - um - I guess ultimately it just strikes me along the lines of "it would cost Nero time and money to make a 64 bit version, so they haven't bothered" - and considering this is just their annual version increment which the marketing people have demanded, and probably doesn't show any actual material change to CD burning compared to about version 5 or sthg, I'm a bit "meh" about it.

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Aug 31 2013, 02:14 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

To understand the offer is a question of interpretation, as happens so often with Nero offers. Because, as before for previous versions, no release notes, no debugging reporting and no detailed information about changes and new features are available. In this respect it is possibly the chance to buy the pig in a poke. In my following review I will try to clarify some things.

Be aware, that this is my personal interpretation and opinion, based on my own experience with upgrades/updates since Nero 10. May be, others meet other conclusions.

Nearly all updates and upgrades since Nero 10 were used primarily for troubleshooting of deficiencies, partly from those which have been brought in with a previous update/upgrade. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
With one exception, - in Nero 12 there were 2 new effects available (peanuts!) and a feature which allows converting a Windows Life Movie Maker project into a NV project (a real improvement). And in Nero 12.5 it's not clear for me, which differences should be against 12.

But in a total view it seems that the focus is (again) mainly directed on revision and updating of the KM features.

From my view Nero has given KM (not alone the media player) the role of a supervisor, with which they get the control over your complete system environment. Central feature is the Media Browser, which is also active if KM itself is deactivated (uninstalling of KM resulting only, that the entry screen for to the KM applications is not available, there no SW will be uninstalled). And I assume that's furthermore the case with Nero 14.

Here the original list of the announcement (the base for this review):

Sneak a peak at some awesome (all-)new (?) Nero 2014 Platinum features:

1. Manage
- Fast and guided access to applications, projects, tools, and tutorials

2. Create
- Import, edit, export, and up-convert to Ultra HD (4k) video

3. Convert
- 1-click transcode and send your video and audio disc content to any connected device or virtual drive

4. Play
- Stream playlists and enhanced slideshows with unmatched visual designs, background music, effects, and titles with ease

5. Burn
- Burn high quality and secure CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray Discs*

And now to the facts:

- all-new: That is just the impression which Nero wishes to reach in with the first use to the user.
Review: Non definable, depends on the individual position of the user.

- 1. : This is a reaction on permanent critics of those users which are comparing the now current user interface with the previous StartSmart, which is noticed as ergonomically better and more efficiently.
Review: Depends on the experience in the practical application of 14. Until than the review remains open.

- 2. : This is an update of present features.
Review: For the most users not of interest, - therefore insignificant

- 3. : This seems to be an update or enhancement of the recode functionality under KM. This feature should therefore also available in Recode. But as far as I it see, this feature exists already in Recode. May be it's a simplification of the workflow. Assumed, you must only define the target media, the settings are created automatically.
Review: Of no interest for users like me, who don't in principle not work with KM. And in Recode the now current features fulfill my requirements, - therefore insignificant

- 4 : This is only an update of the KM player. You will have more variants to configure with the relevant templates. May be, this is adaption of options/features, which are currently available in Windows Life Movie Maker.
Review: Only of interest for users who use the streaming functionality of the KM player, - insignificant

- 5. : This probably relates to the feature mentioned under point 2. Some components will now run in 64 bit mode. This can result in an overall increase of performance in the relevant applications.
Review: Depends on the experience in the practical application of 14. Until than the review remains open.

You are right if you say, all this sounds like a oracle of Delphi. It can be so or it can not be. You only exactly will know, if you have installed Nero 14.

For me the review report above is therefore not so important. My primary interest is, whether my following demands, which I have since release of Nero 10, are met with the new version:

1. Correct fitting of the stink-normal 4:3 material in the display area, means, no black bars at the sides as part of the picture content and no horizontal shrinking of the picture, which requires scaling and complete rendering of the stream.

2. A system-technically correct intallation/uninstallation procedure, which build in case of an update or upgrade then the new environment on base of the current customized environment, means, taking over all the previously made settings. In the case an update or upgrade fails or is cancelled, the environment has to be reset to it's previous status. Parallel installations should no longer be possible, system-technically seen they are a nonsense.

About the next demands I know meanwhile, that they never are realized from several reasons:

3. Downward compatibility of NeroVideo to previous versions from Nero 9 downward. This is not given now. It means, that previous customizing and own templates are no longer available, if a project created under these versions is opened in NeroVideo, only the titles in the source version are available. In fact you have to create it completely new.

4. If at all, installation of KM should be an option. It should create a side-by-side (its own) environment, means, not as an overlay over the base environment with supervisor status. I accept no other control over my environment than my own (and this of MS for the ongoing maintenance of the OS).

Some words to the availability of Nero 14. Sept ? Sorry, but this sounds to optimistic for me. And I have doubts in another direction.

Normally, before official release of a new version, there will be made field tests (pilot installations) on the user side. In practice MVPs got a package for trials with specific requirements.

Has somebody heared of such field tests. Happened them really ? If so, there possibly was an agreement that nothing about should be published on any way.

And yet another consideration. Nero 12.5 was available about 4 months ago and had, compared to 12, only relatively minor changes (see above). Within these 4 months now should an "all-new" version be developed, seriously tested and prepared for launching ? I very much doubt it.

Anyway, so far the first editions of new releases, all had still "teething", which firstly came out in the installations of the user and had to be corrected by subsequent updates. Perhaps similar happens with Nero 14, i.e. the first users must take over the prototyping.

But these fears possibly may be unfounded. I tend to the same suspicion, as it was said in the post above "... and considering this is just their annual version increment which the marketing people have demanded, and probably doesn't show any actual material change ...". I this will be the case, one could assume that the start difficulties would remain in the "usual" range. :blink: :blink:

Btw, really new versions in the past were only Nero 8 and 10, due to their major changes compared with prior versions.

There is also a quite realistic reason for launching this new release and I believe, this is the main reason for this offer with the target to reduce the support burden. The effort for support the current versions (10-12) in the past was an enormous burden for Nero and has caused large costs. It is therefore a legitimate concern of Nero to reduce this burden. They can reach this only, if all users of earlier versions are updating/upgrade to the latest version. The offer is thus to assess as encouragement to take this step.

That's all what I have to say here. As mentioned, it's my personal view and opinion. So I want not discussing about this theme anymore.

Bye, bye.

Today is anyway a "sad" day for me (and possibly also for other users), because at end MyNero will be shut down and with it an important area of my participation at this community will end. :angry: .... and :unsure: about the future of Nero.

This post has been edited by hg-dude: Aug 31 2013, 02:24 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Aug 31 2013, 05:50 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

In one of the threads, a Nero employee said a problem in v12 was going to be fixed in September. I questioned whether it was a new version or update and they replied it was going to be an update. I still have the same question. If a person has v12 standard, is an update going to be issued to fix the problem or is one going to be forced to buy Nero 2014 to get the fix?

Based on the scant information in the references to Nero 2014 provided thus far, I don't think they are the final official pages.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed Topic