Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Nero hijacking drives and USB ports
Marta2
post Apr 15 2013, 11:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,201,618

I have Nero 12 with Backitup and Windows Vista. Previously I used Backitup 9 and also 11. I seemed to have similar problems with all of them. My Backitup is on a dedicated external hard drive. However, when I plug in anything on any of my numerous USB ports Nero want to back up into it. I takes me several minutes unclicking boxes offering backup EVERY TIME I plug in anything into any USB, which is time consuming and very annoying. Previously, like many of the other users I had a rewritable DVD disk in my internal CD writer and I still don't understand how Nero have overwritten the whole DVD without asking for my consent. I lost a lot of material which I have no time to recover. The latest blow was, that my new version of Backitup 12, which was installed properly and backup was assigned to an unused drive with a new external hard drive, first started backin up onto it normally. But the next time I turned on the computer I realised that now Nero changed the drive name which it was originally assigned to and hijacked my internal Atapi CD writer - to the effect that it wiped the driver for it and deleted registry entries (see attachments). I cannot operate my CD writer at all now and since I don't have an installation disk for it, I am unable to reinstall it. I spent days trying to fix this problem without success!!! I have important assignments to complete for my study and I am way behind. The last thing I need is this to rob me of my precious time and money (if I have to get professional help with this messup). My question is: IS THERE A WAY TO PERMANENTLY ASSIGN A LOCATION FOR THE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WITH NERO so that it leaves all my other drives alone forever? If not, can I have my money back so that I can get rid off this nightmare a get a system which actually works as promised?
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Apr 15 2013, 12:51 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,905,902

Because these are two different issues the more important at first. As noted in the left screenshot, the driver SW was not successfully installed. So, whatever the reason was for the damage (surely not the Nero SW), you have to reinstall the driver. You should not have external devices connected during this process !. Open the window like shown in the right screenshot, open "Driver" and choose "Actualize Driver". Exclude search on external media, it would be require the CD for the system installation and the DVD device therefore. Choose "Search for driver SW on the computer" and in the next window "From a list of device driver on the computer". In the now opened window CD-ROM device should be shown. Select and "Prodeed".

The BackItUp issue will be discussed when we have gotten the confirmation of the successful driver actualization.

One thing after another is the rule here.

This post has been edited by hg-dude: Apr 15 2013, 12:52 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 15 2013, 03:57 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

I agree with hg-dude and his fix for your problem. However, drive vendors may periodically issue new drivers or firmware for a drive due to problems. If you have a laptop, you should go to the laptop vendor's support website to check for either or both a driver or firmware update for your system and install it, rather than using the Windows driver. If you have a PC, go to the drive vendor's website and check.

I'm curious about a couple of things.

First, are you saying that Backitup 12 brings up a dialogue box asking you if you want to back up to everything you plug into a USB port? What is the exact message?

Second, if the drive was installed correctly previously and, as noted, it is no longer installed, I recommend that you do a full anti-virus scan on your system. In addition, download Malwarebytes and run a full system scan. There may be other issues with your system but we can address those later.

+Quote Post
Marta2
post Apr 17 2013, 10:12 AM
Post #4

I do not agree that it is 2 different issues. One day Nero is backing up to drive F (as it should and as I choose) the next day there is no drive F in "My computer" and what was F is now drive E with external hard drive and my backup on it, which was originally my CD drive. As mentioned the driver is gone, and since the registry is gone Windows cannot fix it up. Internet search for the right driver brings up only results from all the companies trying to sell you driver fix programmes, but I cannot find the actual manufacturers website. I am hesitant to buy new software when I should be able to fix this for free.

It is unlikely that it's a virus. I have the latest and best Trend Micro and its on all the time. Yes I know, that things can sneek in through the back door, but given the history I am more inclined to blame Nero. When I plugged in even an extra external CD writer lately it still wanted to write onto it. It looks like if I unplug the original backup hard drive (with Nero) Nero just wants to grab anything it can.

wither asked: First, are you saying that Backitup 12 brings up a dialogue box asking you if you want to back up to everything you plug into a USB port? What is the exact message?

Particularly with USB sticks (with other material) if plugged in it triggered a response that backup is initialising and I have to quickly click the box to stop the process. I can see how it can easily overwrite anything if you are not quick enough to click stop. It happened to me (erasing valuable stuff) as well as to many others on this forum. I just left the computer unattended for a minute. Then it asks you several times in different ways whether you really want to stop backup. Very time consuming and frustrating. Unfortunately I can't give you the exact wording because I can't replicate the same thing with this version - it was with version 11. With this version it is worse. I don't even recall seeing a window asking me if I want to backup ... when it took over the position of the CD drive. My CD driver was installed correctly and I used this computer for years!

Thanx hg-dude for extensive guide how to reinstall the driver. I have been through that process several times and it cannot find CD drivers or the manufacturer in those windows. So the message that "the driver SW was not successfully installed" came up after hours of trialling all the different ways to actually find the driver and using Windows Fixit. Maybe it has something to do with the registry entry for CD being wiped and reformatted (when Nero took over)?!

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 17 2013, 04:52 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

I plugged a thumb drive into a USB port on this system (Vista 64 bit SP2) and Backitup didn't come up at all. On the other hand, I don't have Backitup installed on the thumb drive. Go to Control Panel, AutoPlay. For Mixed Content, what is set as the default?

A new v12 update came out this morning and Backitup was part of the updates. Install it if you haven't already.

There was a problem with Backitup in v9 and, I believe, v10 which had AutoBackup. If you have v9 still installed, check to see if AutoBackup is running.

Trend Micro nor any other anti-virus program normally picks up on malware. Thus my suggestion regarding running Malwarebytes.

I don't think there's any way for Nero to change your system configuration, in regards to drive designations. Do you have any virtual drives?

Also, you might get the firmware by selecting Firmware and installing the package here- http://us.liteonit.com/us/dvd-internal/ite...nternal/ihas120

One other thing you might try is to go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and click on Services. Find Plug and Play, start or restart it, and then reboot to see if it picks up the driver for your drive.

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Apr 18 2013, 11:29 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,905,902

To the driver problem. That reinstallation fails may depend on the settings for the search destinations. The only driver for CD devices which is available in the OS is located in C:\windows\system32\drivers. The screenshot shows all informations for this driver after susccessful installation

Attached Image

This informations are up-to-date on my Vista system. You should have the same or similiar for this driver, which is always present because it couldn' be updated.

Now you should try again. Check the directory mentioned above for a file named cdrom.sys. If it is present check properties, they should the same as shown in the screenshot. If there any difficulties let me now at first.

Otherwise open the driver properties window (the middle in the screenshot) and click on "Uninstall" (step 1.). Uninstallation is necessary for remove of the corrupted registry entry. After successful uninstallation click on "Actualize driver" (step 2.). The window should be opened as shown in the screenshot

Attached Image

Under "Search for driver SW on this location" mostly an entry exists from the last driver installation. Replace this entry by C:\windows\system32\drivers which you will find with "Browse". Then click on "Next". The successful installation is confirmed in driver properties window under "General" by "The device works fine/properly".

If you have any problems in this workflow, please let me know with an exact description, what has happened.

To the BackItUp issue. As long as you can not backup on CD/DVD, copy important data on the internal or an external HDD. Don't use BackItUp for this, because the initialization settings must be completely revised.

+Quote Post
Marta2
post Apr 18 2013, 12:32 PM
Post #7

Thanx heaps for your wisdom. It seems to make sense and I'll try it as soon as I have a moment!

+Quote Post

Closed Topic