Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Burning .mp4 to a normal dvd and play on blu-ray player
brycej
post Apr 10 2013, 05:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,151,987

I will be receiving a blu-ray player shortly. The specs say it can play .mp4 files.

But I will be surprised if it tells me how to do it. Many blu-ray players out there (now) say will play .mp4 and AVCHD.

And some have told me if you use Nero Video and make an AVCHD disk even on regular dvd disk it should work (though you went get much time).

So with .mp4 file without a blu-ray burner, would that work with regular dvd? How would you do that? How would a blu-ray burner play an mp4 file?
Can you burn it on a reg dvd as a data dvd?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Apr 10 2013, 06:35 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: MVP
Member No.: 69,291

If your BD player is able to handle *.mp4, you can easily convert your video files to that format with Nero Recode (which is much more convenient than Nero Video when it only comes to transcoding files). Most BD players nowadays support USB-sticks and drives. In this case you even don't need to waste a DVD-R. Put your mp4-files onto the stick and plug it into your player. If you want to have videos with chapters and menus and want to burn it onto a DVD, you really should create an AVCHD with Nero Video, like your friends suggested.

If you have Nero 10 or older, Nero Video is called Nero Vision.

+Quote Post
brycej
post Apr 10 2013, 10:42 PM
Post #3

Do you recode it to AVCHD?

I am not sure when the blu-ray player says it can play .mp4 if it can't off a disk. But when it can from a USB thumbdrive.

+Quote Post
brycej
post Apr 11 2013, 02:45 AM
Post #4

I got a refurb LG BP125 and it plays .mp4 files and AVCHD from camcorders. I paid $40 with $5 extra year wty from Newegg.

For AVCHD I use Nero Vid and record AVCHD disks (reg dvd disks).

The player immediately says AVCHD and plays.

For MP4, I use Nero Rom and move the file into UDF format (UDF-ISO also works but with a 2 gig file limit).

You can also play from a thumb drive.

This post has been edited by brycej: Apr 11 2013, 02:46 AM

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 11 2013, 03:02 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

When you burn a video file to disc, you're just creating a data disc similar to copying files to a disc from Windows Explorer. Some players can't play a data disc (you might be able to pick up the file using the controls for the player).

+Quote Post
goingjag
post Jun 18 2013, 06:26 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,871,838

In my experience a DVD player that says it will play MP4's means that if I just take the MP4 and burn it as a data file to a DVD, it will play on the DVD player.

In other words no recoding is necessary.

You just use Nero to burn a Data disk and put as many mp4's on there as will fit.

The only downside to this is you won't have a "normal" dvd with menus etc. It will only work based on what is built into the mp4 file. So things like chapters won't be there.

However it's a great way to view files that would take a lot more space to recode.

Bottom line is if you recode the file, the players ability to view mp4's is of no real import.

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Jun 18 2013, 10:38 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: MVP
Member No.: 69,291

Be careful! DVD players generally can only play MP4 files with the MPEG-4/ASP video codec, whereas blu-ray players also support the playback of MP4 files with the MPEG-4/AVC video codec.

To get to know, if the files can be played on a disc or only on a USB stick, refer to the manual, which you can find on the manufacturer's support homepage in most cases.

+Quote Post
CamillaSittonlov...
post Aug 9 2013, 09:46 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,626,508

QUOTE (brycej @ Apr 10 2013, 05:45 PM) *
I will be receiving a blu-ray player shortly. The specs say it can play .mp4 files.

But I will be surprised if it tells me how to do it. Many blu-ray players out there (now) say will play .mp4 and AVCHD.

And some have told me if you use Nero Video and make an AVCHD disk even on regular dvd disk it should work (though you went get much time).

So with .mp4 file without a blu-ray burner, would that work with regular dvd? How would you do that? How would a blu-ray burner play an mp4 file?
Can you burn it on a reg dvd as a data dvd?

MP4/MPEG-4/H.264 MP4 is not coded in many DVD players and some of its successors like HD DVD players, Blu-ray disc players and 3D DVD players hence it cannot be played on many DVD players.

I recommend u a full guide about how to play mp4 in DVD player at:http://videoconverter-software.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-to-play-mp4-on-dvd-playerhd-dvd.html?xl

Hope it can help u!!

+Quote Post
patrickmaleky
post Aug 23 2013, 07:18 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 10,639,053

Most DVDs have to use MPEG-2 or DivX, if you try to directly burn MP4 to DVD or your DVD burner app has no function of converting MP4 to MPEG-2, DivX, you will fail to burn MP4 to DVD disc.

Even if you have successfully burn MP4 to DVD without converting, you will still encounter issues in playing MP4 on DVD player: Regular standalone DVD players can only read movie DVD's (those are in MPEG-2, and if you view them in Windows Explorer, you see a folder structure with VIDEO_TS, and files like .VOB .IFO and .BUP). Newer DVD players that are DivX-certified can (in addition to the above) read data DVD’s with an AVI file encoded in the DivX codec. Most of the time, you will fail to play MP4 on DVD player unless the DVD players have the "Nero Digital" label on them.

In order to burn MP4 to DVD for successfully playing on various DVD players, we had better find a powerful MP4 to DVD Video Converter which will automatically convert MP4 to DVD disc or DVD player compatible format

This post has been edited by patrickmaleky: Aug 23 2013, 07:19 AM

+Quote Post
wither
post Aug 23 2013, 03:26 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Smells like an advertisement.

+Quote Post