Start new topic
> Why doesn't mp4's and avi play on tv despite nero recode
cantcopy
post Apr 9 2013, 10:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,495,659

Hey everyone.

I have recently become aware of the advantage of using the usb device in the back of my childrens tv as opposed to dvds. What i have noticed though, is that sometimes avi and mp4 type files won't play and im greeted with the unsupported file warning.

I don't really know a lot about copying and formats and stuff, i have double checked the file formats in the windows properties just to make sure and ive verified the file types. Just last nite i attempted to convert an mp4 i wanted to watch on tv instead of on the computer. I used nero recode, dragged the mp4 file over, clicked convert and 7 hours later, i had converted my mp4 to avi, but still this wont play on my tv.

Is there anything i can do to possible eradicate this problem?

John

This post has been edited by cantcopy: Apr 9 2013, 10:07 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Apr 9 2013, 10:41 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,905,902

Convert to MPEG-2 !

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Apr 9 2013, 11:13 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8,784,165

Or read in the documentation of your tv, what format it accepts.

Some TVs are limited to special codes, special resolutions etc.
So you have to select the parameters your tv can playback

+Quote Post
cantcopy
post Apr 10 2013, 07:40 AM
Post #4

Sorry im a bit confused....

My tv accepts avi and mp4, it plays avi files and mp4.

Ive converted the files to mp4 and avi because thats what the tv plays, avi and mp4. I have tried them both but none work so checking the tv documentation wont help me as i already know they accept avi and mp4. The resolutions vary from 720 and some is 1080, could you also provide more details about parameters and other settings that i could alter which could assist.

This post has been edited by cantcopy: Apr 10 2013, 07:45 AM

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Apr 10 2013, 09:34 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (cantcopy @ Apr 10 2013, 07:40 AM) *
Sorry im a bit confused....

My tv accepts avi and mp4, it plays avi files and mp4.

Yes, but what resulution, bitrate, ...

I don't think the TV will accept all resolutions. If this is not written in the documentation of your tv, you will have to ask the manufacturer of your tv.

QUOTE (cantcopy @ Apr 10 2013, 07:40 AM) *
The resolutions vary from 720 and some is 1080, could you also provide more details about parameters

As this depends on your TV, nobody besides the documentation of your TV (or the manufacturer of the TV) can answer this.

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Apr 10 2013, 10:00 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

When I give a specific instruction, I know why. For most of the TVs with screen sizes under 40 inches TV-Standard (576p) is the standard format. Here a screenshot

Attached Image

You should import your HD videos in a NeroVideo DVD-Video project with the following presettings under Recording Format Options

Attached Image

Then export with the same settings (as MPEG-2) without further editing, except trimming. If you would like to edit the videos, I suggest to import these files into a new project (with the same presettings !). This results in a much lower transcoding time than for edited HD sources.

I never use Recode for converting, because all my videos are edited anyway. So I can not say how you can do this there.

Everthing clear now ?

This post has been edited by hg-dude: Apr 10 2013, 10:07 AM

+Quote Post
cantcopy
post Apr 11 2013, 09:50 AM
Post #7

Thanks for the help, i appreciate it.

I followed your instruction to the letter, it appears to have changed format however i have been presented with a new problem. The "dvd" i was converting was only 2.5GB, after converting though it is now 6.7GB and unable to fit on disc/usb. Is there any way to change this?

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Apr 11 2013, 02:51 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (cantcopy @ Apr 11 2013, 09:50 AM) *
.... The "dvd" i was converting was only 2.5GB, after converting though it is now 6.7GB and unable to fit on disc/usb. Is there any way to change this?

I don't understand. You are talking now about converting dvd, from where did you get the value of size (2.5 GB) ? What are the sizes and formats of the sources which are converted ? I should have more information about what you were doing based on my suggestions.

+Quote Post
cantcopy
post Apr 11 2013, 03:49 PM
Post #9

well yes,the original dvd was in mp4 format and did not play on my tv. I asked how to rectify and was advised to put dvd into nero video,change the output settings to mpeg2 and export...the dvd before being put into nero video was 2.5gb, after exporting and being in mpeg2 format is nearly 7gb. I really dont understand the confusion sir

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Apr 11 2013, 03:59 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (cantcopy @ Apr 11 2013, 03:49 PM) *
well yes,the original dvd was in mp4 format and did not play on my tv. I asked how to rectify and was advised to put dvd into nero video,change the output settings to mpeg2 and export...the dvd before being put into nero video was 2.5gb, after exporting and being in mpeg2 format is nearly 7gb.

this is quite normal, as mp4 format is much more efficient as mpeg2 - so the size will increase. You can reduce the size by reducing the quality settings.

But:
the original dvd was in mp4 format

NO original video-dvd contains mp4. mpeg-1/2 are the mandatory codecs for video-dvds. Or was it a data-dvd with an mp4 file?

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 11 2013, 04:19 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Download MediaInfo. Import the problem mp4. Open View and select Tree. Provide a screenshot which shows both the video and audio formats.

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Apr 11 2013, 04:42 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (cantcopy @ Apr 11 2013, 03:49 PM) *
well yes,the original dvd was in mp4 format and did not play on my tv. I asked how to rectify and was advised to put dvd into nero video,change the output settings to mpeg2 and export...the dvd before being put into nero video was 2.5gb, after exporting and being in mpeg2 format is nearly 7gb. I really dont understand the confusion sir

That's what I have assumed. "Don't understand" is not the same as confusion ! But because I don't like to give recommendations based on assumptions i was asking for exact informations. That's the normal way I am supporting, - sir.

I leave this thread now because my assistance is no longer required. The reason for your problem is exactly described by jens_f. So you should follow his suggestions.

This post has been edited by hg-dude: Apr 11 2013, 04:42 PM

+Quote Post
cantcopy
post Apr 12 2013, 11:57 AM
Post #13

Thanks for all your help hg dude, your help was really appreciated and i am extremely thankful for you taking the time to assist me sir.

YOurs

JOhn

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 12 2013, 04:42 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Seems to me that you still need to resolve why certains files won't play. If you provide the information I requested, it might help.

+Quote Post
cantcopy
post Apr 13 2013, 05:05 PM
Post #15

@ wither...

Sorry about the delay, heres the info

Attached Image

Attached Image

Hope this is the required info you asked for,,

Many thanks

This post has been edited by cantcopy: Apr 13 2013, 08:51 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 14 2013, 03:56 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

I see that VirtualDub is used to capture the video. However, I can't find that it is capable of writing MP4 unless one has downloaded the required codecs and I don't think they're free. Do you use it for all your video?

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Apr 14 2013, 01:02 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Although none of those involved in this thread seems to be interested in my previous posts, here an explanation, how the capacity requirement of 7 GB came about.

According to the file informations in the screenshot above, the video has a very low bitrate (1'324 Kbps) and also have a frame rate of 24 fps (movie mode). In other words, the video stream needs to be transcoded according to the requirements of the target medium. This is when the quality setting for DVD-video (MPEG-2) "Fit to disc" for a bit-rate of 3'000 Kbps (the lowest possible rate) and 29.97 resp. 30 fps (video mode NTSC). This results in the calculated capacity requirements, the size of which approximately corresponds to 3 times the size of the source file. And this is also the explanation for the extremely long transcoding time.

So easy is this, you should draw only the logically correct conclusions.

If for the destination media for DVD-video, the video mode PAL (25 fps) would be chosen, could just still fit the video at the lowest level of quality on the DVD. You should try that. Normally, such DVDs on most external players can play, if they are code-free.

But now finish with working on the PC. I would like to enjoy now this first beautyful sommer day of the year.

This post has been edited by hg-dude: Apr 14 2013, 02:05 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 14 2013, 05:22 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

That's an excellent explanation. However, the issue is that certain files won't play.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic