IPB

Welcome Guest

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
> Can I add an indicator arrow to define a subject in a highlight video?
BillBE
post Mar 12 2013, 04:59 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,678,159

I make highlight videos for athletes who wish to submit them to colleges for scholarship considerations. Unlike basketball and volleyball, Soccer games are usually shot at wide vision and zoom when approaching the goal area. What I want to do is insert an arrow over the player I'm tracking, for about 2-3 seconds at the start of the scene and then let it fade out while you follow the rest of the play. Has anyone had any experience in doing this and if so would appreciate any advise. Thank you

BillBE

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 12 2013, 06:23 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

If you create a jpg with an transparent background and the arrow within it, you can add it to video 2 wherever you want. I only say to go this route because I can't create a visible down arrow using Unicode or ASCII characters in a text box.

+Quote Post
BillBE
post Mar 13 2013, 05:23 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Thanks Wither

Another thought I had was to take a snapshot of the first frame in the track, then use Photoshop or Powerpoint to add the arrow over the players head and save as a JPEG. Reopen Nero and place the newly created JPEG infront of the track. Start play and I would hope that it would flow nicely into the video highlight. Usually these videos have about 3 to 4 minutes of highlights each so thats a lot of editing to do just to identify who the player is but a feature most high priced highlight producers use. I was hoping to find something that could be used to simplify this aspect of the program. I'll give your Idea a try too. Thanks

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 13 2013, 08:38 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

You could also do something like put a halo one time around the head of the person you want to highlight using one of the video effects. I'm doing a backup right now so things are too slow for me to open NV and provide more details. This would be a little tedious because you would have to modify one frame at a time because the persons head could be moving around. If it is still for a few seconds, it wouldn't be too bad.

+Quote Post
BillBE
post Mar 14 2013, 03:38 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Wither,

Actually, my idea worked. As long as I take a snapshot of the opening of the track, copy to Powerpoint where there is a file saved which has the arrow on it, adjust the arrow to where it hovers over the persons head, save the file as a JPEG. I also use photoshop to crop the snapshot to eliminate the white border coming from the Powerpoint step. Nest step is to import into the project, and place on the time line ahead of the track selected. When you play the track it starts with the jpeg image and flows into the video track.I will do a couple of more highlight tracks and then upload to show the results tomorrow.

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 14 2013, 03:27 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Of course that will work. You're just adding another image to the video track.

If you make the background and edges transparent, as I mentioned earlier, you can put the arrow on the video track 2 wherever you wish.

Maybe I'll do some more later with Nero Video.

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Mar 14 2013, 04:46 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: MVP
Member No.: 69,291

Well, I would create a PNG with transparent background. JPG doesn't support transparency. You can create a PNG for example with Adobe Photoshop, Photoshop Elements or the freeware GIMP. So you can import your arrow directly into Nero Video.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 14 2013, 07:42 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Thanks for doing the legwork for me Mister_M. I had tried creating the arrow in Gimp yesterday but, being unfamiliar with it, couldn't figure out how.

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Mar 14 2013, 08:20 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member
Group Icon

I think, this video shows, what you want to do.

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 14 2013, 08:58 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Thanks. I didn't know how to make it transparent. On the other hand, I was drawing my own arrow and wasn't using the snap features. From the video, I can't tell what he clicked on to go to the web to select an image. He did it too fast.
I also lost the third view today with the layers, brushes, etc. on the right. Couldn't figure where to turn it back on.

+Quote Post
BillBE
post Mar 15 2013, 12:04 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Thanks guys for the help. I down loaded GIMP and very easy to convert thanks to Mister_ M linking to video directions. Arrow can be resized and simple to apply within Nero program. I would like to add a couple of tracks but unable to upload, Video TS, Mp4, VTS_01_1 any suggestions?

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 15 2013, 04:26 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

As I noted above, I couldn't tell what he clicked on in GIMP to get to the objects because he moved too fast. How did you get there?

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Mar 15 2013, 06:23 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member
Group Icon

ZITAT(wither @ Mar 15 2013, 04:26 PM) *
As I noted above, I couldn't tell what he clicked on in GIMP to get to the objects because he moved too fast. How did you get there?

Do you mean what to do to get the background transparent in GIMP? Just go to Layer -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel. Now you can use the "Fuzzy Select Tool" (the magic wand symbol) and click on the background area. Now hit the "DEL" button and the background will be transparent. Now go to File -> Save as and change the file extension to .png there. Now you should get a png file, which can be imported to Nero Video without problems.

@BillBE: If you drag your files out of a folder, make sure to drop them into the "My Media" area. They cannot be imported directly into the timeline.

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 16 2013, 01:58 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

No. I want to know how he got to the web to select the camera objects. Being open source, I didn't think about having to do that to get the pre-made objects. I couldn't find any within GIMP.

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Mar 16 2013, 11:18 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Well, he just searched for a picture (in this case it was a jpg) on images.google.com, saved it to his hard drive and opened it in GIMP.

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 16 2013, 04:16 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Thanks. I guess that's how you got the arrows.

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Mar 16 2013, 06:44 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Yep, that's right.

+Quote Post
BillBE
post Mar 17 2013, 11:56 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Actually I opened Powerpoint, inserted the shape I wanted (arrow) and (circle) or "halo", sized and colored them, in this case yellow, and saved as JPEG. Then went into GIMP and foundd the file and created the transparency. Thanks again for the help guys.

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Mar 17 2013, 03:53 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member
Group Icon

You're welcome.

+Quote Post