Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Copying video DVD to hard drive
james777
post Feb 8 2013, 10:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,416,355

Hello, This is my visit and post to Nero. If I've posted in the wrong group, please set me straight. I have a barely used Nero 7 version. I want to copy a medical DVD video to my hard drive and simply view the video on my PC from the hard drive using Nero Showtime. Copyright? Don't know till DVD arrives next week.

My Googling has suggested it's as simple as 'copying-and-pasting' in Windows Explorer. Is this true? I hope so {that, I know how to do}. If I need to employ Nero to effectively accomplish this, which Nero Program should I use? - and what are the steps? Since I'm not familiar with Nero, I'd greatly welcome a simply "How do I do this?" Thanks ~ james
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 9 2013, 03:00 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

In my opinion, you should open Nero Express and select Copy DVD. In the Destination, select Image Recorder. It will create a .nrg file. Note the location for the copy operation. In ShowTime, select Play and change "video files" to "image files" and browse to your image file.

A couple of things you should know. If you have Win 7, Nero v7 is not compatible. Second, if you have installed v7 from a CD, it's probably not up to date. I don't know if it will affect the above. The latest update to v7 is available at nero.com, Downloads. You will probably need to uninstall your current version but you can try installing over it. Make sure you have a copy of your serial number. If you have to uninstall v7, you need to do that with the Nero general clean tool, not from Control Panel.

If you want to convert the DVD content to a video format, you could use either Nero Vision or Recode. If you desire to do that, we can get into the details later.

+Quote Post
james777
post Feb 9 2013, 04:13 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (wither @ Feb 9 2013, 03:00 AM) *
In my opinion, you should open Nero Express and select Copy DVD. In the Destination, select Image Recorder. It will create a .nrg file. Note the location for the copy operation. In ShowTime, select Play and change "video files" to "image files" and browse to your image file.

If you want to convert the DVD content to a video format, you could use either Nero Vision or Recode. If you desire to do that, we can get into the details later.

Hello Wither, Thanks for responding. I'm running Win XP. Yes, Nero v7 was installed from a CD {I'll consider updating}. After I posted, I discovered my Dell PC has CinePlayer. Will it also play the DVD copied to HD? You mentioned two different avenues: utilizing Image Recorder and/or Nero Vision. If both methods will work, is one simpler and better? I'm expecting FedEx to deliver DVD this coming Tuesday. Can't do much till then. Thanks ~ james

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Feb 9 2013, 04:24 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: MVP
Member No.: 69,291

I wouldn't use the copy function of Nero Express... I even wouldn't use any software. Just open the DVD in your windows explorer and copy the VIDEO_TS folder into a folder on your hard drive.

You can then select the folder in ShowTime directly.

+Quote Post
james777
post Feb 9 2013, 04:48 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Mister_M @ Feb 9 2013, 04:24 PM) *
I wouldn't use the copy function of Nero Express... I even wouldn't use any software. Just open the DVD in your windows explorer and copy the VIDEO_TS folder into a folder on your hard drive.

You can then select the folder in ShowTime directly.

Mister M, Sounds simple enough. I viewed the contents of a DVD on hand, and it contains two folders: a VIDEO_TS and an AUDIO_TS. Assuming the yet to arrive DVD also contains these two folders, do I copy both - or only the VIDEO_TS folder? ~ james

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 9 2013, 04:58 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

You shouldn't need the audio TS file. Normally it's empty.

Mister_M's suggeston is a good one also. If you wanted to convert it to a video format, as I mentioned before, I would have suggested either importing the disc or the video_TS file into Nero Vision. If you have it on your hard drive already, you would just import it from there.

+Quote Post
james777
post Feb 9 2013, 05:23 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (wither @ Feb 9 2013, 04:58 PM) *
You shouldn't need the audio TS file. Normally it's empty.

Mister_M's suggeston is a good one also. If you wanted to convert it to a video format, as I mentioned before, I would have suggested either importing the disc or the video_TS file into Nero Vision. If you have it on your hard drive already, you would just import it from there.

You're right. I grabbed 3 on hand DVDs. Two did contain empty AUDIO_TS folders. The 3rd DVD, however, contained two video folders: a VIDEO_TS and a VIDEO_RM {??} - no AUDIO_TS folder.

I do have one question: Why might I want to convert it to a video format? I'm confused here. What difference and/or what gain is there in converting to a video format? I'm over my head here ~ james

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 9 2013, 05:37 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

You might want to do that if you want to stream the file to another device and it won't read a Video_TS. There may be other reasons but they escape me at the moment.

+Quote Post
james777
post Feb 9 2013, 06:40 PM
Post #9

Wither, you mentioned: If you have to uninstall v7, you need to do that with the Nero general clean tool, not from Control Panel. If I elect to upgrade via Nero Update Disc - $12.99 from Nero, where/how do I obtain the 'Nero general clean tool'? I didn't see it listed under 'Programs' Nero 7 Ultra Edition. Is this a download from Nero.com? ~ james

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 9 2013, 06:55 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

http://www.nero.com/enu/support.html?ecid=...C439;request:13

I wouldn't pay for the disc unless you have a slow internet connection. The free download is the same as what's on the disc. You can save it on your hdd for use at any time. V7 won't ever be updated again.

+Quote Post
james777
post Feb 9 2013, 07:28 PM
Post #11

Thank you wither! I hadn't seen the free download option. Done did it: [Ver 7.11.10.0c; Release date: 2010-03-11; 337 MB] When I get ready, I guess it best to just click on the .exe file and attempt installing overtop of existing version? I also downloaded the Nero General CleanTool. I'm guessing if/should I need to uninstall, should I attempt the entire uninstall via the Nero General CleanTool - or should I start with Control Panel remove and follow-up with the Nero Tool? Or maybe, an 'over-top' install might work fine. Your thoughts please ~ james

+Quote Post
james777
post Feb 9 2013, 08:23 PM
Post #12

wither and Mister M, I want to thank both of you for your expert help. You explained it so this simple minded Nero newbie could understand. I think I'm as ready as I can be come arrival of new DVD {Tues}. Is there a check box I can check to give me instant notification of replies to my posts? I musta missed that. Thanks ~ james

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 9 2013, 08:58 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

You can try the update by running it with your existing v7 installed. If it doesn't work, then you'll need to run the general clean tool to uninstall it. Uninstalling from the Control Panel doesn't work because v9 and earlier don't use a Windows installer.

There's no e-mail notification option in this forum.

The other reason for not buying the disc is that you can use your v7 to obtain a discount on an upgrade to V12 or v12 Platinum. You can get v12 Platinum for $40 in that manner. That's dirt cheap so $13 for an old disc isn't really worth it.

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Feb 10 2013, 06:37 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: MVP
Member No.: 69,291

ZITAT(james777 @ Feb 9 2013, 05:23 PM) *
You're right. I grabbed 3 on hand DVDs. Two did contain empty AUDIO_TS folders. The 3rd DVD, however, contained two video folders: a VIDEO_TS and a VIDEO_RM {??} - no AUDIO_TS folder.

The AUDIO_TS folder is only important for DVD-Audio discs. Normal DVD-Video discs store the audio tracks directly in their vob files.

The VIDEO_RM folder is rather useless. It can be only found on discs that were recorded on a DVD-recorder (especially Philips, who created this non-DVD-Video-compliant format). It only stores information about the recording method and the used DVD-type.

ZITAT
I do have one question: Why might I want to convert it to a video format? I'm confused here. What difference and/or what gain is there in converting to a video format? I'm over my head here ~ james

Well... The only reason to convert is to archive videos with less space (for example H.264 video, which is more efficient than MPEG-2) or to play it on other devices like mobile phones or tablets. But I also would use Nero Recode for that task.

+Quote Post
james777
post Feb 13 2013, 01:56 AM
Post #15

Update: Today I received my DVD. Thanks to Mister M and wither, I copied the VIDEO_TS folder to my hard drive. I elected to try the first play using CinePlayer. Beautiful and full-screen. On my second play, I'll try Nero ShowTime and compare.

Additionally, I made two copies of the DVD using Nero Express. No problems - all went well. However, a couple questions surfaced. I chose 'Quick Copy.' My two questions: 1) I checked the 'verify data' checkbox. I didn't have a clue about this. It just sounded like a good thing to do. It did require several minutes.

Is this something I should routinely do?; 2) The default write speed was 16x. I selected 8x. Again, a slower write speed just sounded 'better.' For future DVD copying, should I check the verify data checkbox and is 8x 'more better' than 16x?

Again, I greatly appreciate all the help, ~ james

This post has been edited by james777: Feb 13 2013, 01:57 AM

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 13 2013, 04:35 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Unless you're experiencing problems with the burned material, I wouldn't bother with the verification, but it's entirely up to you. If it was critical that something I was burning was burned correctly, I would use it.

Like above, you can use 16x as long as you don't experience any problems. Many burners and DVD's don't support that high write speed.

+Quote Post
cafayzieg
post Feb 21 2013, 10:15 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 10,385,582

QUOTE (wither @ Feb 9 2013, 03:00 AM) *

A couple of things you should know. If you have Win 7, Nero v7 is not compatible. Second, if you have installed v7 from a CD, it's probably not up to date. I don't know if it will affect the above. The latest update to v7 is available at nero.com, Downloads. You will probably need to uninstall your current version but you can try installing over it. Make sure you have a copy of your serial number. If you have to uninstall v7, you need to do that with the Nero general clean tool, not from Control Panel.

I absolutely agree.

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 21 2013, 04:36 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

bump the ad.

+Quote Post