Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Nero 12 Video - Windows 8 Side-by-Side Error Fix
foxrox
post Dec 11 2012, 03:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,139,981

I have Nero 12 Platinum HD. When attempting to launch Nero Video, I was getting an error that my side-by-side configuration was not correct.

I contacted Nero support and they sent me an email with instructions. Here is how it was fixed.

1. Download and Install: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/deta...;displaylang=en
  2. Download and Install (for Windows 7 or earlier): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/deta...d0-932c430abd14
  3. Download and Install (for Windows 8): http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/de...s.aspx?id=15697

For Windows 8, steps 1 and 3 were required. (The file from step 2 would not install with Windows 8.)

Everything else I read on the web said it was a problem with various versions of C++ and .NET Framework, but removing and reinstalling those did not help anything. It was a waste of time.

I hope this helps others not waste a lot of time looking for solutions that do not work and saves some frustration.

I love Nero software. This was my fourth version upgrade, in fact.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Dec 11 2012, 04:17 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Thanks for posting the solution. It will help others.

+Quote Post
comp1mp
post Dec 15 2012, 06:57 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,337,866

This resolution is so wrong for windows 7 on 2 levels.

First, if you update your machine using windows updates (a strongly advised best practice) you have MSXML 4 SP3. Removing this installation and replacing with SP2 has just made your OS less secure and potentially less stable - if not broken.

Second, that mission critical app you installed 6 months ago which depends on MSXML 4 SP3 is now"mysteriously" broken. And you cant even pay Nero a 1.50 a minute to try and fix it...

Nero needs to release an update which supports MSXML 4 SP3. This is the only acceptable solution.

This post has been edited by comp1mp: Dec 15 2012, 06:58 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Dec 16 2012, 04:20 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

This solution applies to Win 8, not Win 7.

+Quote Post
comp1mp
post Dec 16 2012, 05:57 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (wither @ Dec 16 2012, 04:20 AM) *
This solution applies to Win 8, not Win 7.

Thats odd!?!?! What is number two in his list for?

And furthermore Wither seeing your such an expert with your volume of posts....

What XML parser underlies the Windows 8 OS? Is it native, or a component like it was in Windows 7? If its native, you think its a wise idea to install a component that was designed for earlier MS OSes?

And my final question has nothing to do with this post. Where did you come up with the magic number of running /scannow EXACTLY 3 times? The Wizard of Oz perhaps? :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by comp1mp: Dec 16 2012, 06:03 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Dec 17 2012, 03:58 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

It seems that scannow doesn't always work for everything the first or second time around. Three times is just a precaution.

Item 2 installs SP2 which, as far as I know, is appropriate for win 7. I never heard of SP3 until the Win 8 discussion. I don't have SP3 installed on either my Vista or Win 7 system. I don't know if there is a specific parser for Win 8.

I've never professed to be an expert. I'm just a volunteer in the forum. I rely on my experience in the forum, working with the software and working with PC's to try to help answer questions.

+Quote Post
comp1mp
post Dec 17 2012, 05:29 AM
Post #7

Sorry, for snarkiness. I should not vent my frustration at Nero towards someone who is attempting to be helpful.

It appears to me that Nero has released a product that plain does not work installed on 64x Windows 7, that is current on updates, and has never had a Nero product on it. This is something that obviously should have been tested.
I bought the package because of its price being 50$ less than comparable packages I have already lost that 50$ in my time for something that clearly should have not passed QA.

You run scannow until it either reports that the system is valid, or it cannot repair the system. This may only be once, it may be 5 times.
What you are referring to is the fact an initial run can fix some problems, but further underlying problems still exist that were cloaked by the original issue.

The solution sent by Nero's support is for both Windows 7 and 8. My bet is, if you called MS support - rolling back an existing component in Windows 7, or installing a component that is now native in Windows 8 would not be supported.

+Quote Post
Luca1972
post Dec 17 2012, 01:20 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,134,305

Dear Nero forum users,

hoping to be helpful for someone,

you could try to read the attached document regarding the MSXML 4.0 SP3

and the method for rollback or upgrading.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  MSXML4_SP3_RTM_Release_Note.htm ( 50.12K ) Number of downloads: 702

+Quote Post
retofploughman
post Dec 17 2012, 02:25 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,289,700

Luca1972

I note that you have not included the date of MSXML 4.0 SP3 Release Notes. I have just looked at it and it is dated 9/29/2009 which I believe was midway through Nero 9. It was definitely before the release of Nero 10. Looking at the info on-line the System Requirements then appear to be applicable to XP through to Windows 8 possibly.

So,although you LOVE Nero, what conclusion have you come to.

I feel that it should be, that Nero is in a WORLD of their own and everyone should fall into step.

There must be more than one USER with a PC running Windows 7/8 who are experiencing similar problem.

I note in the MSXML 4.0 SP3 Release Notes that support for SP2 finished 13 April 2010, which I believe was about the time that Nero 11 was released. If this is true then all USER may be tethering on the brink of disaster

wither

If your Vista & Windows 7 are up-to date, then I suppose SP3 would have been covered, although there does not appear to be such a beast.

But then as XP and Vista and even Windows 7 are all currently being maintained I suppose that XP SP3 would be applicable to to all versions.

+Quote Post
wither
post Dec 17 2012, 04:26 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

comp1mp- I don't know why you think that Nero software doesn't work on Win 7. I have v10, v11 and v12 installed in Win 7 and they all work as expected except for a few bugs which tech support is working on. Bugs aren't uncommon in any software. For major software, all you have to do is visit their forums. Most of the installation type problems seen in this and other forums are a result of a specific system configuration.

+Quote Post
Luca1972
post Dec 17 2012, 10:41 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,134,305

retofploughman

I have followed the instruction shown in the initial post solving my problem (side by side error in Nero Vision 12)

I'm using Windows 8:

The installation wizard wasn't able to install MSXML 4.0 as necessary prerequisite blocking the set up of Nero 12.

After I installed directly the SP3 but I found the above problem.

So,after reading the initial post I installed the SP2 and after,without uninstall it, I downloaded and installed SP3, upgrading the SP2

as also recommended in the MSXML 4.0 SP3 release note attached.

When I had Windows 7 (using Nero 11),I have installed(I didn't do anything,I found them installed automatically) on my PC MSXML 4.0 SP2,note not the main version released in 2003,

but the following update version:

MSXML 4.0 SP2 KB954430

MSXML 4.0 SP2 KB973688

I can't explain the reasons of this, because I'm not neither a technician nor a programmer.

The only thing which I'm wondering if,for the future Nero version,it would be possible to migrate from MSXML 4.0 to 6.0 as suggested by Microsoft(MSXML6 is now available for all supported down-level platforms. It is either shipped with Windows (e.g. Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista) in the release note of MSXML 4.0 sp3 attached.

This could be solved definitively all this problem but probably It's no possible to do.

Regards

+Quote Post
Buthead
post Jan 1 2013, 05:04 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 10,363,533

I'm having the same issue i just re installed my MSXML 4.0 as i inadvertently uninstalled the KB update pack for it so i had to repair install the first 4.0 then re install the KB for it. but i this was before i got this error message. i just recently installed nero 12 and now i get same error with nero video they you have my only question is. would i only need to install the first one listed in the d-load section since i allready had MSXML 4.0 installed?. but i see the MSXML version 2.0 is not supported by win 8 ? so what am i suppose to do.

+Quote Post
wither
post Jan 1 2013, 06:40 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Based on what Luca said, I think you should install SP2. You might want to set a system restore point before doing so.

Win 8 is Win 7 with a new interface.

+Quote Post
Buthead
post Jan 1 2013, 07:30 PM
Post #14

ok i will try that will setup a restore point first thanks :)

+Quote Post
Buthead
post Jan 1 2013, 08:53 PM
Post #15

Yes this fixed it :) i talked also to microsoft support this will not harm win 8 or win 7 at all there is not any security risk at all as MSXML SP 2 can be installed side by side with MSXML 40 SP3 or others. thanks so much for posting this fix. and i hope all has a safe new year.

+Quote Post
wither
post Jan 1 2013, 09:40 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Fantastic!

Enjoy!

+Quote Post
subashseo
post Jan 18 2013, 11:05 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 10,388,330

After installing Windows 8 on your system and upgrading it to the latest software, you must be wondering about the next step. At times like this, you need to know how to proceed further and learn new tips that will enable you in getting that head start while providing you with the ease of operability.seo firms

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Jan 18 2013, 02:01 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,905,902

To all involved at this thread,

If your Windows OS (XP, Vista, win 7 and 8) is always on the cutting edge, then you always have the high risk after installing of an older component, that the OS no longer works properly. Therefore, the statement, to re-install such components is highly questionable, even if it comes from Nero.

Rather, Nero must constantly (!) update its SW based on the actual status of the above mentioned operating systems and provide these updates as quickly as possible. This is the only correct way and is particularly necessary for Windows 8, because there changes to the basis-code could be made by MS, in connection with the now current maintenance of Windows 8 RT (OS for tablets). Possibly, this is also the reason, that MS provides Windows 8 Pro on early February with a special offer.

Anyway, you should at first (!) bring the OS, especially Windows 8, up-to-date, before you install Nero SW. Then, if problems occur, you have a clear base for the problem analysis.

And a warning: The previous reply is advertising. The link may lead to an unsafe website.

This post has been edited by hg-dude: Jan 18 2013, 02:02 PM

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Jan 18 2013, 06:06 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,905,902

Bump the ad.

+Quote Post