> How to burn MKV files
tomlini
post Nov 28 2012, 10:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,314,136

Hi All,

New to this forum, thanks for reading.

I am new to burning and I'm stuck with burning an MKV file to DVD for playing on standalone dvd/bluray players. I've searched the internet and this site but cannot find any step-wise instructions.

I have nero 12 platinum which is a big app and i'm lost. When searching, some people advise that you should be able to burn straight to a data dvd (no idea what this means). Others say it must be converted and go into technical reasons regarding frame rates etc.

Can someone tell me step by step how to do this with the version of nero I have? The mkv will fit on a single layer dvd.

Any help appreciated - I hope I have provided all required info.

Thanks - tomlini
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Nov 28 2012, 10:59 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8,784,165

This depends on the capabilities of your dvd/bd-player.

Many dvd/bd-player are capable of direct playback of mkv files - in this case, you can burn it to a data disc. (Just start e.g. burning rom)

If your player does not support this, start nero video -> create -> DVD -> DVD-Video
But: Then it might not longer fit on a single layer dvd, as it must be converted to mpeg-2.

+Quote Post
tomlini
post Nov 28 2012, 01:30 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (jens-f @ Nov 28 2012, 10:59 AM) *
This depends on the capabilities of your dvd/bd-player.

Many dvd/bd-player are capable of direct playback of mkv files - in this case, you can burn it to a data disc. (Just start e.g. burning rom)

If your player does not support this, start nero video -> create -> DVD -> DVD-Video
But: Then it might not longer fit on a single layer dvd, as it must be converted to mpeg-2.

Thanks for the prompt response and it has almost worked:-)

It has almost worked. The sound is slightly out of sync and the picture is pixelated. Are you aware of any settings I can take to resolve these? The mkv is without issue.

Thanks again, a lot closer than I was.

+Quote Post
retofploughman
post Nov 28 2012, 02:17 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,289,700

tomlini

FYI there is THREAD concerning pixelated problems with Nero Video. At present I can not located it. If I do I will come back add a link to it

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Nov 28 2012, 02:58 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (tomlini @ Nov 28 2012, 01:30 PM) *
Thanks for the prompt response and it has almost worked:-)

It has almost worked. The sound is slightly out of sync and the picture is pixelated. Are you aware of any settings I can take to resolve these? The mkv is without issue.

What exactly have you done? Have you burned a data disc, or made or dvd or what?
What exactly is your input (resolution, size, codec)?

For: "the the picture is pixelated":
If you created a video dvd, the resolution has to be reduced to meet dvd standards.
Also, if you used a single layer dvd, the data rate has to be reduced - this can of cause result in artifacts.
So, if could help to use a double layer dvd

+Quote Post
tomlini
post Nov 28 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (jens-f @ Nov 28 2012, 02:58 PM) *
What exactly have you done? Have you burned a data disc, or made or dvd or what?
What exactly is your input (resolution, size, codec)?

For: "the the picture is pixelated":
If you created a video dvd, the resolution has to be reduced to meet dvd standards.
Also, if you used a single layer dvd, the data rate has to be reduced - this can of cause result in artifacts.
So, if could help to use a double layer dvd

I created a dvd (i think). No idea what a data disc is or how to create.

I loaded nero video and selected dvd video. Here I imported the MKV and left the settings as default because I have no idea what they are. The mkv is 700 Mb and it created a 4Gb dvd. I noticed TV 16:9 which looked right to me and stereo sound.

I can't see where resolution is but i think it defaulted to 720 x ??? when the aspect ratio was set.

I wouldn't have a clue how to determine if a dvd is big enough, i would expect nero to tell me if it isn't or if there will be loss because the compression is to severe for size of media.

All I want to do is burn a file to disc for my son. I purchased nero on the strength of its claimed mkv support. I realise mkv files can hold more than just video and audio, but this is a new edition of a well spec'd burner and mkv is not new. I would have expected reknowned burners to be able to unpack mkv by now.

It's a nightmare and something I tried to avoid by buying an expensive app that claims to support mkv.

Sorry that i'm a techno phobe but any help to an old timer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again - tomlini

+Quote Post
wither
post Nov 28 2012, 04:36 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

When you create a data disc, the files are just basically just copied to the disc without any modification. Most standalone players can't play them. That's why you need to convert to the DVD-Video which the standalone players can play automatically.

You did everything correctly.

When you import the file into Nero Video, is the video and audio out of synch in the preview before you burn? In addition, is there pixelation before you burn?

For synch problems, we normally recommend that you import the video into Recode and recode to mpeg-4 and then use that file.

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Nov 28 2012, 04:55 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (tomlini @ Nov 28 2012, 04:04 PM) *
I wouldn't have a clue how to determine if a dvd is big enough, i would expect nero to tell me if it isn't or if there will be loss because the compression is to severe for size of media.

The default Option of Nero is "Fit to Disc" - that means, that nero automatically choose the compression rate in a way, that the video fits on the media. This is the option most users want and need.
If you want to have a fixed quality, you can disable the fit to disc option and select a bitrate you want.

How long is the video (in minutes)?

+Quote Post
tomlini
post Nov 29 2012, 01:42 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (jens-f @ Nov 28 2012, 04:55 PM) *
The default Option of Nero is "Fit to Disc" - that means, that nero automatically choose the compression rate in a way, that the video fits on the media. This is the option most users want and need.
If you want to have a fixed quality, you can disable the fit to disc option and select a bitrate you want.

How long is the video (in minutes)?

OK - thanks for that. The movie is 1h 42m. Would taking the 2 pass option improve it greatly?

Should I be able to achieve the same picture quality and sound (in sync as well) as the mkv? If so, and assuming I can't achieve solely in nero, will I need to convert using a different app? Or do I need to forget nero completely?

+Quote Post
tomlini
post Nov 29 2012, 02:00 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (wither @ Nov 28 2012, 04:36 PM) *
When you create a data disc, the files are just basically just copied to the disc without any modification. Most standalone players can't play them. That's why you need to convert to the DVD-Video which the standalone players can play automatically.

You did everything correctly.

When you import the file into Nero Video, is the video and audio out of synch in the preview before you burn? In addition, is there pixelation before you burn?

For synch problems, we normally recommend that you import the video into Recode and recode to mpeg-4 and then use that file.

I didn't know I could preview so I'm unsure. I'll have to give it another go. Thanks for the help.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic