Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Nero 7.10.1.0 Hangs Freezes on Win7 Pro. Burning 12X CD-R
jasonF555
post Nov 9 2012, 12:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,287,443

Hi , I have been using Nero 7 for ages on my PC CD duplicator with 8 Identical Sony Optical DVD RW Drives.
and have experienced no problems with burning on the 8 drives at once. This was on a ropey old XP-32Bit machine

I have now decided to add a further 4 Opticals , again Sony DVD RW drives but slightly later model of the drive, as could not get identical to the other 8 sonys.
to do this I changed the mother board to a brand new ASRock with 3 X PCI slots so to allow one further SATA controller card Identical to the other two.
essentually built a brand new computer on 1155 socket motherboard (ASRock P67Pro3 intel B3 P67chipset- if that means anything) a celeron 2.4Ghz processor , 8GB ram , good strong power supply etc etc. installed Win7 Pro X64 onto a small 60GB SSD (26GB Free of 55.8GB) , and loaded the motherboard drivers everything on manufacturer disc, and ran Windows updates too. installed Nero on the C: drive on the SSD

I tested burning using 'Nero Burning Rom 7 ' to the new 4 drives seperatly and this was fine, then set it up to run all 12 drives.

On one of my CD files which is perhaps 20MB of data, I sucessfully burned the image onto the 12 Drives (always burn at slowest speed which is 8X, Write Method: Disk-at-once, buffer underrun protection: checked) , and checked each copy of the disk to ensure no errors. this was 100% success
on another of my ISO Image files , around 130MB of data on the image, I set the same 12 drives to burn, and while it seemed to start ok, it hanged at 11% . left it there for 30mins and no joy. no mouse control or keyboard response, so had to pull the plug on it and reeboot.
So binned the 12 coasters it produced and again tried the small image ISO. again fine. then tried larger file, and hangs again

Does anyone know what might the problem be. where to even start to resolve it. or any known problems with more than 8 drives , or known problems with Win7 or anything like that.? Im thinking to format the HD and start over with Win XP X64 , seeing as it was ultra reliable on the former WinXP and 8 Drive setup. as currently this new setup is only makes good coasters (growing pile of them !!) which is not really the idea :-|

would welcome any advise anyone who has ran into such problems before.
or indeed a better software than Nero7 , Ive never really tried anything else, nero7 worked so kept with it never ran into any problems. Yet I would like to find a burning software that retains disks that had error writing to. Nero7 still ejects the disk drive, so unless you pay close attention to the little results thing it gives at the end you dont know if a particular disk has failed.

many thanks
Jason
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jasonF555
post Nov 9 2012, 01:30 AM
Post #2

Just tried some other ISOs around 60MB or so , it keeps hanging at Writing to Disk , this current test on the 12 drives it is now frozen at 52% Writing to disc. The last test batch I did also froze at writing to disk, then had to pull the power plug and reboot. Yet the discs were actually fine and checked each one. Yet this current one has frozen up at 52% , PC does not respond to Ctrl+Alt+Del or anything. will have to pull the power out.

I'll test writing a larger file of around 200MB to a single drive and see if it makes any difference. I was just looking at upgrading to nero12 , but I think it has all kinds of stuff I dont need, I only use Burning Rom Data.

+Quote Post
jasonF555
post Nov 9 2012, 02:44 AM
Post #3

quick update. Just sucessfully burned 4 X Discs of 600MB ISO image. So it looks like its trying to do all 12 at once it hangs up. I've no idea why more drives creates the problem of hanging part way though. Perhaps its my lowely Celeron G539 2.4Ghz is just too pants for it ? Any ideas ?

+Quote Post
jasonF555
post Nov 9 2012, 03:28 AM
Post #4

another quick update. Just tried trial of Nero12 Plat. and burning to all 12 drives , its hung at 19% Writing to disk. Buffer levels on each drives around 92-98% if that means anything.

So I guess can rule out a particular problem with nero7 . Must be hardware / firmware related ? I think I will try format the SSD and go back to Win XP and try that.

+Quote Post
HarmonySmurfJF
post Nov 9 2012, 07:39 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 9,102,810

Hi jasonF55,

Unfortunately Nero 7 does not support Windows 7. Any Version of Nero prior to Nero 9 will not officially be supported with Windows® 7. Nero does not plan to add Windows 7 support for any older versions.
For our long-time loyal Nero customers using an older Nero version we recommend upgrading to our latest version Nero 12! We are able to offer the upgrade at a reduced price because you already own a Nero version. Please go to our upgrade center and check the reduced price. Good luck.

Best regards,

HarmonySmurfJF

+Quote Post
jasonF555
post Nov 9 2012, 01:58 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (HarmonySmurfJF @ Nov 9 2012, 07:39 AM) *
Hi jasonF55,

Unfortunately Nero 7 does not support Windows 7. Any Version of Nero prior to Nero 9 will not officially be supported with Windows® 7. Nero does not plan to add Windows 7 support for any older versions.
For our long-time loyal Nero customers using an older Nero version we recommend upgrading to our latest version Nero 12! We are able to offer the upgrade at a reduced price because you already own a Nero version. Please go to our upgrade center and check the reduced price. Good luck.

Best regards,

HarmonySmurfJF

Hi I tried Nero12 on the trial download, but this does not work either it still hangs wrting to disk and have to pull the power on the computer to get out.

+Quote Post
jasonF555
post Nov 10 2012, 02:41 AM
Post #7

I just tried a trial download of a different image burning software called 'GEAR PRO - Professional Edition 8.10' . its supposed to be the best you can get, but after spending several hours trying to understand it and just burn one image, I can only conclude it is a pile of problems over complicated and reports that recording failed, when the image was actually burned to CD sucessfully. It burned the disk then ejected the disk in drive tray, then reported that recording failed because the tray of the recorder device is out. and states its not sucessfully recorded , when putting the disk in another PC confirmed all data was written. So I dont think this software is going to offer any reliability or certainty of recording integrity what so ever. So this pile of trouble is out and uninstalled, and now back fiddleing around with Nero 12 trial .

I have ordered another Sata controller so can make sure one of the sata controllers is not at error. however I have tested the four new Sony AD-5280S drives in icolation and can burn to them simultaneously with Nero7 and Nero12. So I dont really suspect a problem with the controller card. I just tried burning a 60MB ISO to the first 8 drives, but again its crashed and needs the plug pulling out to reboot. I have read that Nero would actually support up to 32 devices, so guess that 12 drives is nothing out of the ordinary at all. My PC build is brand new, the only pants component really is a budget Intel 2 core Celerion 2.4Ghz, but figured it would be ample for the purpose of this machine, yet maybe this assumption is wrong, If I can know if it is the processor not good enough I will upgrade it to something a bit higher up the intel ladder , but not before formatting it and reinstalling windows to test if somethings wrong with it, some firmware or driver issue? The XP i was going to reinstall on it I need to buy a new licence for, so got to wait for that to arrive, not like win7 you can install it on 30 day trial.

Anyone know of any other burning software that allows burning to multiple devices that I could try ?

This post has been edited by jasonF555: Nov 10 2012, 02:55 AM

+Quote Post
wither
post Nov 10 2012, 04:01 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Please note that, at any time, you can send an e-mail to tech support at techsupport@nero.com. In addition, there is a chat line which is open weekdays but also note it is on GMT Berlin time.

Few, if any, of us volunteers that try to answer questions in the forum have multiple drives that even approach the number that you have so we can't attempt to reproduce your problem.

Since your SSD is only 60 Gb and many temporary files are generated during the burn process, it may mean that you're running out of space during the burn. In BR, the only way to alleviate that problem is to select File\Options\Cache and set the path for the cache to a location on your hard drive (assuming you have one).

The other possibility that I can think of is that there is something about one of the iso files that causes it not to be burned. I apologize for not doing a thorough review of this thread but I think you said it hangs on the fifth iso. Does it matter if you start with this one or change the order of burning?

Just some food for thought.

+Quote Post
jasonF555
post Nov 10 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #9

Hi guys , good news I got it working, after formatting the drive and reinstalling windows 7 and doing hours of windows updates I can now report that nero12 trial is burning to all 12 drives. so nothing hardware problem, its most probably the windows updates ensuring everything has its latest drivers etc.

Close thread

:o)

+Quote Post
jasonF555
post Nov 10 2012, 04:46 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (wither @ Nov 10 2012, 04:01 AM) *
Please note that, at any time, you can send an e-mail to tech support at techsupport@nero.com. In addition, there is a chat line which is open weekdays but also note it is on GMT Berlin time.

Few, if any, of us volunteers that try to answer questions in the forum have multiple drives that even approach the number that you have so we can't attempt to reproduce your problem.

Since your SSD is only 60 Gb and many temporary files are generated during the burn process, it may mean that you're running out of space during the burn. In BR, the only way to alleviate that problem is to select File\Options\Cache and set the path for the cache to a location on your hard drive (assuming you have one).

The other possibility that I can think of is that there is something about one of the iso files that causes it not to be burned. I apologize for not doing a thorough review of this thread but I think you said it hangs on the fifth iso. Does it matter if you start with this one or change the order of burning?

Just some food for thought.

Hi thanks for your observation about the temporary cache on the little SSD. I will now point this to the large hard drive.

buy the way as a matter of interest it is noted that nero12 would support burning to a max of 32 drives in parallel . How on earth would that be configured ? most even high end motherboards have max of 3 - 4 PCI slots , each can take a sata controller, that would be some pretty hefty sata controllers, probably cost more each than my whole computer. or would there be some other ingenious way this would be configured, not that I ever want that capacity , just interested how such an array would be wired up.

oh also anyone know how to set nero12 so that it test writes each disk after burning, and retain any duds? I think I have learned to accept 1% failure ,so 1 disk out of 100 is duff. I imagine this could be just down to dodgy media, rather than the burning process is that a fair assumption.

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Nov 10 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,905,902

Just a note to avoid an unpleasant surprise: If you try to copy commercial media with BurningRom 12 this would fail due to protection violation. Suggest testing BR 12 before you decide for upgrading to Nero 12. With Nero versions until 9 you didn't have this problem, - it's new since Nero 10.

This post has been edited by hg-dude: Nov 10 2012, 06:39 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Nov 11 2012, 03:27 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Depending on where you're burning from in BR, you can specify that it simulate the burn (I didn't look but i think it's in the Burn options). I don't know of any way to do what you mentioned.

I'm glad you were able to burn although I wouldn't have ever suggested that you reformat your drive and reinstall Windows. That's usually reserved for cases where tech support can pinpoint a specific Windows problem.

Now, go get yourself v12. Platinum if you can afford it or need advanced video editing features.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic