Start new topic
> How to get videos from Sony HandyCam?
alpo9
post Oct 29 2012, 08:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,270,498

Greetings all!

I've been using Nero for a long time to burn disks and such. I currently have Nero 11, but this is my first time using Nero Video.

I got my mom's Sony HandyCam DCR-HC21 attached to a Windows 7 computer with Firewire and the DV port on the camera. Windows see it, Nero Video sees it and can control it. However, Nero Vision can't see the videos on it.

When I first start Nero Video and choose "Import from AVCHD" I get the error message, "No device was found." Yet, I can use the controls to play/fast forward/rewind the tape in the camera - I know this because the video plays on the camera's display.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on and how I can fix it? There are a ton of videos I'd like to get from tape to the computer.

TIA!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Oct 30 2012, 03:48 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

You should use the Capture feature of Nero Video to transfer the files to your hard drive if you can't do it with your Sony software. You can then import the files into Nero Video to do what you want with them. However, you need a capture device on your system to convert the video to digital format while capturing. Search on Capture in the Nero Video help file for details.

+Quote Post
BakerSmurfRX
post Oct 30 2012, 07:32 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 9,102,709

Hi alpo9,

The problem may have different causes. Please write an email to techsupport@nero.com.
Alternatively, you can also get in touch via the chat line first.
http://www.nero.com/eng/support-contact.html

Best regards,
BakerSmurfRX

+Quote Post
alpo9
post Oct 30 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #4

Wither - Capture does not work and I don't have the Sony software. When I first start Video it clearly says it can, "Easily import clips from any AVCHD camera and camcorder or capture footage from TV, analog or digital tape", so something is amiss.

akerSmurfRX - Thank you for the information. I will try contacting support directly.

Best regards,

alpo9

+Quote Post
wither
post Oct 30 2012, 03:26 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Reference to the AVCHD camera probably means the camera has the video recorded in digital on a hard drive, memory card or other digital device. You said you're camera has tape so I assume the video is in analog format. In that case you would have to use capture. As I mentioned, you need a capture device which will convert the analog to digital. This is like a tuner card on your system.

You can get the Picture Motion Browser software here- http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.p...=3#/downloadTab. It should be able to capture your video to your hard drive unless it also requires a capture device.

+Quote Post
alpo9
post Oct 30 2012, 06:07 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the link. I've been there before; downloading the software requires the license key from the original discs, which I don't have. It's always something....

What bugs me is the Nero Video advertising the ability to capture from analog tape. I sent support a note; we'll see what they have to say. The camera has digital output, so I assume it has some kind of converter built in. If I have to another A-D converter just for this purpose I'm going to punt. :)

Thanks again,

alpo9

+Quote Post
wither
post Oct 31 2012, 03:31 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Have you tried sliding the Power switch to Play/Edit.

Is the camera running during the capture process.

Is the camera set to "camera" mode or "VCR" mode.

I looked at the manual for your camera and the connections to use aren't clear to me. I also don't understand the difference between the Picture software and the Power Motion software.

I think tech support is going to have to sort this out for you. Please let us know what they say.

+Quote Post
alpo9
post Oct 31 2012, 03:50 AM
Post #8

The switch is on Play/Edit.

The camera is on when attempting to capture/import the videos.

I don't see a setting for "camera" or "VCR" mode. There is one for USB mode, but enabling it does not make a difference when using the DV (Firewire) output.

The manual leaves a lot to be desired. :)

I got a pretty lame initial answer from tech support. I'm going to reply with more details and also contact Sony to see if they can help. This should not be so difficult....

+Quote Post
wither
post Oct 31 2012, 04:00 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I suspect there is something in the connections that are hampering the video transfer. For instance, when connecting to a IEEE port, most cameras require that the port is a DV port and not all computers have that configuration for their IEEE port.

I should also note that some Sony cameras require that you use their software for capturing. I ran across this a long time ago when I was trying to help someone else.

+Quote Post
alpo9
post Nov 1 2012, 10:15 PM
Post #10

Quick update: I've been e-mailing with Nero Support and provided them a bunch of information, screen shots, etc. I have yet to hear back from them since yesterday.

Of interest is I have an old XP system sitting here. I installed Nero 11 on it, installed the same Firewire card I was using on the other system into the chassis and am able to get Nero Video to capture the videos from the camera. Go figure. I bet it's something with the driver.

It's a shame I can't simply copy the videos off the tapes instead of having to go through the Capture process, but at least I'm able to get them.

Thanks for your help!

alpo9

+Quote Post
wither
post Nov 2 2012, 03:14 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

If you could get the software for your camera, you could probably transfer the files directly to your hard drive.

Hopefully, tech support can help with this.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic