Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Burning MP4 video to DVD
photoman2u
post Jun 30 2012, 06:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,934,561

Is there a way to burn MP4 videos to DVD? I always produce the highest quality videos I can. I use Power Director 10 editor for videos that I am very well satisfied with on the produced result, but not on the burning to DVDs. That is why I tried Nero. The original videos on my computer are sharp and great. However, I have tried 123 Copy DVD, AVS editor and now Nero to get the same quality to the DVDs and not blurry, out of focus or wavy that I produce and see on my computer. I edit and check the sharpness on each clip when I combine them in the editor. I have a new Canon XA10 so it's not a matter of quality video equipment. I had a trial version of Nero, I think it was Burning Rom. I used it and was very well pleased. When the trial was up, I recently bought and downloaded Nero 11.

I had an installation issue that has been resolved tonight. Now, however, I can't find a program in Nero 11 that recognizes the MP4 video files to burn them! They have an ext. of AVS, which is the same that I've always used; even with the trial Nero I had before. I have changed the player option in properties to 3 different players (Windows Media Player, AVS, and VLC) which has not helped. I'm not happy with this situation!! What has changed with Nero 11 from the trial version? Please, can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Jun 30 2012, 10:06 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: MVP
Member No.: 69,291

I think I don't really understand you...

When the mp4 files don't exceed the space of a DVD, you can just burn them as a normal data DVD.

What do you mean with "not recognized"? And where do you what properties do you change the player?

+Quote Post
wither
post Jun 30 2012, 01:32 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Are you trying to produce a DVD that will play automatically in a DVD player? If so, you need to use Nero Video to create a DVD-Video. You can't create a DVD-Video in Burning Rom using a mpeg-4 or anyother video format. It has to be authored into the DVD-Video structure.

Elsewise, you're just burning a data disc, as mentioned by Mister_M, and the file should be completely unaltered.

+Quote Post
photoman2u
post Jun 30 2012, 04:58 PM
Post #4

Thank you for your prompt replies. What I meant was right clicking on the video files on my computer, going down to the properties option, clicking on that and then changing what player is designated to play the video.

I did try the Nero Video program after posting this inquiry last night. I changed the settings for the highest quality I could. The video is not good quality compared to what I have on my original video on my computer. Somehow, it just burns it the same as other programs, which isn't acceptable. Below is an example of video I have uploaded to You Tube, which is sharp and clear. I hope this is ok to include here. I did use the trial version of Nero before and it was very clear and just like the original video files after I produced them. That's what is a puzzle to me. I no longer have it on my computer and can't remember what I was trying!

I do videos commercially for customers at car shows and events. I include a DVD copy for them as part of the deal and upload a video to my You Tube account. I have to have highest quality DVDs for my customers. Still trying to muddle through this mess!! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

You Tube Video Example

This post has been edited by photoman2u: Jun 30 2012, 05:00 PM

+Quote Post
photoman2u
post Jun 30 2012, 05:52 PM
Post #5

Perhaps I need to clarify some more. The videos are completed, produced and ready to burn. They don't need editing. They are AVS Media Files (right click, properties, type of file). That is what they are after they are completed and edited in Power Director 10 and ready to go. This is what I upload to You Tube. I have tried the AVS brand editor (not to confuse the extension on the completed videos, not related) and the quality and options are not great. All I want to do is burn the videos to a DVD that can be played on any DVD player, and have the best quality.

When I go into Nero Burning Rom, no matter what kind of DVD option I choose, the videos are not found under the "All supported compilations and images" files of types when I try to open my choice. If I choose All Files [*.*] as the type and then try to burn, that's when I get the error "Unexpected File Format". So, I can't get Burning Rom to recognize the video files. Hope this clears up some confusion for anyone. Don't mean to belabour the point, but still trying to look at all my options. Thanks to all.

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Jun 30 2012, 07:29 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: MVP
Member No.: 69,291

ZITAT(photoman2u @ Jun 30 2012, 04:58 PM) *
Thank you for your prompt replies. What I meant was right clicking on the video files on my computer, going down to the properties option, clicking on that and then changing what player is designated to play the video.

That's the wrong option. You'll have to go to "Open with" -> "Change default program"

ZITAT
I did try the Nero Video program after posting this inquiry last night. I changed the settings for the highest quality I could. The video is not good quality compared to what I have on my original video on my computer. Somehow, it just burns it the same as other programs, which isn't acceptable. Below is an example of video I have uploaded to You Tube, which is sharp and clear. I hope this is ok to include here. I did use the trial version of Nero before and it was very clear and just like the original video files after I produced them. That's what is a puzzle to me. I no longer have it on my computer and can't remember what I was trying!

Now that I've seen your example video, my first thought, when I read "mp4", was proved. You won't find any program, that will transform your video in nearly the same quality to DVD-Video. The problem is, that your video has an HD-resolution (1920x1080)... DVD-Video is restricted to a max. resolution of 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL) pixels.

The only chance you have to obtain the original quality, is to burn an AVCHD to a DVD, which will only be playable on PCs with appropriate software or stand alone bluray players. Or you can burn blurays, which is relatively expensive.

Last method (like I said before): Burn your unaltered mp4 files to a disc. You can also add the setup file of the VLC player to your disc to be sure that your customers will have the chance to play the file on their computers.

ZITAT
They are AVS Media Files (right click, properties, type of file).

Bad information source... You should download MediaInfo and use that for file information.

ZITAT
That is what they are after they are completed and edited in Power Director 10 and ready to go.

Power Director is an authoring software like Nero Video. Therefore you won't find an option to burn your non-DVD-Video-compliant video files to a DVD-video disc with Nero Burning ROM.

ZITAT
I have tried the AVS brand editor (not to confuse the extension on the completed videos, not related) and the quality and options are not great. All I want to do is burn the videos to a DVD that can be played on any DVD player, and have the best quality.

Like wither said, you'll have to author AND in this case re-encode your videos to get DVD-Video compatibility. To the loss of quality refer to my second answer in this post.

+Quote Post
wither
post Jul 1 2012, 03:57 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

The reason you were able to get the same clarity when you used the trial version is that you were burning a data disc which, I previously mentioned, will not alter the original file. You can't encode mpeg-4, AVCHD or BD in the trial version because of licensing fees that have to be paid to holders of those formats. You get that when you buy Nero.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic