Start new topic
> Burn Failures
Steve909
post May 16 2012, 02:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,804,410

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a problem I'm having burning DVD's and audio CD's.
Every time I burn an audio CD it fails. I think it's a problem with the drive rather than with Nero.
This appeared out of the blue. One day it worked perfectly-the next day nothing!
I get error messages "unspecified recorder error" and "track following error" which to me means there's a problem with the drive...but if I burn an ISO disc it's ok.
So I get on to LG "support" and they say it's working correctly because it burns ISO discs and the burn speed is too high. My reply was for the best part of 2 years it's been burning at 48x without any problems so why would it suddenly fail to burn at that speed unless there was something wrong with it.
They ask me to try a slower speed and try to burn a DVD. The DVD failed with the same error messages. I then tried to burn an audio CD. the simulations failed at 16x and 48x. On the third attempt the simulation was successful but the burn process failed (16x). Again with the same error messages. I'm haven't had a reply from LG as yet.
Anyone got any ideas? I've uploaded the last log where the sim was successful but the burn wasn't.
Cheers...Attached File  Log_6.txt ( 18.31K ) Number of downloads: 213
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jens-f
post May 16 2012, 02:53 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8,784,165

QUOTE (Steve909 @ May 16 2012, 02:44 PM) *
11:38:09 PM #46 SPTI -1 File SCSIPassThrough.cpp, Line 179
CdRom0: SCSIStatus(x02) WinError(0) NeroError(-1)
Sense Key: 0x04 (KEY_HARDWARE_ERROR)
Sense Code: 0x3E
Sense Qual: 0x02
CDB Data: 0x2A 00 00 02 B2 FE 00 00 1B 00 00 00
Sense Area: 0x70 00 04 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 3E 02
Buffer x0894b040: Len xf810
0x3F 00 77 F4 60 00 55 F4 6C 00 2E F4 5C 00 10 F4
0x65 00 F5 F3 7B 00 02 F4 96 00 24 F4 BF 00 3E F4
0xE2 00 6D F4 16 01 AF F4 5E 01 F2 F4 8C 01 3D F5

Your drive reports a hardware defect - so i think you definitely need a new drive.

+Quote Post
Steve909
post May 16 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #3

Thanks Jens.
I've even pointed out to Lg it says in the log "Hardware error".
I've just received an email from them and they still say it's down to discs and speed.
I reckon their support just reads from the manual.

+Quote Post
jens-f
post May 16 2012, 03:12 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8,784,165

QUOTE (Steve909 @ May 16 2012, 02:59 PM) *
Thanks Jens.
I've even pointed out to Lg it says in the log "Hardware error".
I've just received an email from them and they still say it's down to discs and speed.

Of cause this can depends on the disc - e.g. the drive has different laster for cd and dvd - it can be, that only one of them is broken.

Also, different laser-settings and power are required depending on disc and speed - so it could be, that it works with lower speeds.

In general: A Laser Diode has a limited lifetime. But: Normally, it does not stop working suddenly. Instead, the performance decreases.
You can also watch this problem with every monitor or tv: The maximum possible brightness decreases after a time.

Question: How old is the drive? How many discs was burned with it?

+Quote Post
wither
post May 16 2012, 04:00 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

A couple of things I see-

It's possible that the files you're trying to burn are protected since they're all commercial. Can you burn some of the unprotected sample files that are on your system?

I don't know it that's responsible for the next problem in the log but it appears there's a problem with the discs themselves (ATIP invalid entries). I personally think that's related to the burn speed. To check that, you could run Create Disc in Nero DiscSpeed and see if you get any errors on one of your discs. You could also run the Benchmark test while you're there to see what the optimum burn speed is for your discs. 48x is awful high to burn at. My discs automatically default to 10x.

+Quote Post
Steve909
post May 17 2012, 11:50 AM
Post #6

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Jens-I bought the drive May/June 2010. it's probably burnt 200 or so audio CD's and around 30 DVD's. It's certainly not been overworked.

Wither-The files aren't protected. They were recorded from my vinyl copies.
The drive had been happily burning at 48x since I bought it. I'm not saying that was the actual speed just that was the setting I had it on.
Now it doesn't matter what speed I try they all fail. I'm not talking about a few discs either. When this first started I thought I had some dodgy discs,but I
reckon there's been 20 or so failures and not one success.
I'll try the Benchmark test and Nero Discspeed and see what happens.

+Quote Post
wither
post May 19 2012, 01:58 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Steve909- any feedback on the tests?

+Quote Post
againploughman
post May 19 2012, 02:26 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,524,306

Steve909

I assume that the DVD Drive is the one listed on http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-GH...#software_panel. If so the Firmware version for this drive is listed as being Version 2.00.

Searching your log file for version I note that the Recorder Version is quoted as being 1.03.

Have you tried the upgrade for the drive or is possible that the drive is an OEM version, that is supplied as part of the PC. If so have you checked with the PC manufacture.

One thing you may want to watch with NDS is that it is possible for the routine to apparently give a disc a clean bill of health for a disc which has been written. Any files problem should be flagged in the FILE LOG, providing the program recognises the disc format.

I am not querying you statement about the speed of writing but as this is a USER selected option, I would like wither try to change this, myself I set my option to 'SAFE SPEED' but then I do not burn that many disc's.

+Quote Post
Steve909
post May 19 2012, 06:05 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (wither @ May 19 2012, 01:58 AM) *
Steve909- any feedback on the tests?

Hi Wither.
Yes I've had an interesting time.
I put both types of disc through the benchmark test-twice.
The Traxdata was Start Speed:21.48x Average:36.57x Type CAV. Second time: Start Speed;16.02x Average:22.40x Type:Z-CLV
The Verbatim was Start Speed:22.49x Average:36.81x Type CAV. Second time: Start Speed:16.24x Average:22.41x Type:Z-CLV
Why would there be two different results off the same disc?
The create disc worked fine for the Verbatim,but the Traxdata stopped and an error message appeared saying "timeout on logical unit (O43EO2)" or (043E02)
In it's defence it's the last Traxdata I've got and it was a bit scabby.
Also the discs created are data discs and there is no problem with them. It's audio cd's I can't burn.
Do you want me to upload the logs and screenshots from the tests?

+Quote Post
Steve909
post May 19 2012, 06:15 PM
Post #10

Hi againploughman-thanks for the input.
Yes that's the drive in question. The firmware update is for windows 7 and I'm on xp. All that's in there is the windows 7 recoding tool. I get messages to download it everyday,even though LG know I'm on xp.
The drive isn't an OEM,I installed in May 2010.
As far as speed is concerned I've not had an issue with it until now. The drive has always been set at 48x for audio. As far as I know that's the maximum it could go,but generally the burn speed is a bit slower.

+Quote Post
againploughman
post May 19 2012, 11:46 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,524,306

Steve909

I appreciate what you say concerning the firmware update. Up to recently LG had an two firmware upgrade for my drive. When approached about them they advised me that I should use the latest version as it applied to all recent versions of Windows.

Currently the drive I have in my main PC has 1.02. This drive was a replacement by the PC manufacturer in 2009. Soon after that I replaced my drive in my backup PC with a RETAIL version of the same type of drive. The firmware for this was update soon afterward to 1.04, using the update routine that was available on the disc supplied with the drive. This has now been updated to Ver 2.00 ( Windows 7, etc)

Since reporting a problem with my main PC, I was advised to update the firmware of the drive. Being that it had been replaced by the PC manufacture I was not sure whether it is an OEM or RETAIL version. The manufacture support staff can not determine it themselves, as the drive does not appear on the support product. The eventual advice was to try the update which I feel currently not inclined to do, mainly due to the apparent difficulty of doing so. Anyway up-to the 17/5 the latest version of Nero 11 has apparently been running satisfactory with the original firmware.

So the choice is yours. Personally, if you have tried using another batch of disc's and the problem still exist, then go for it.

BTW I am using XP on both PC's.

I note that you have done a Benchmark on the disc. But have you run the SCAN facility on your disc's. Just for interest check the DISC INFO tab with each disc, although they may be Labeled, Traxdata & Verbatim for marketing they may be out sources.

Current I have some 3½ disc by Maxell. Copying DATA on to them using Nero Copy facility I have found some have been rejected as not being large enough. Investigating them one batch is produced by Maxell the other batch produced by a 3 rd party, these being the ones giving the problem.

This post has been edited by againploughman: May 19 2012, 11:58 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post May 20 2012, 03:18 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Steve909- I can't explain the variances in the DiscSpeed test but they are consistant in telling you that the burn speed you should use is less than 48x. Personally, I would try a 10x just to see what happens. If that worked, then you could bump it up until it no longer works. I know it wastes discs. I use RW for everything just for that reason. You could buy just a few RW's for the tests.

What I wanted to see is the latest burn log for one of your audio CDs. That's the best tool that we have but, for some reason, you've been reluctant to post it.

+Quote Post
Steve909
post May 20 2012, 03:35 PM
Post #13

Againploughman-
Personally I think LG customer support don't really know what they're doing. I read somewhere that support is outsourced. When I originally contacted them about this problem I had a reply from someone in media & television. (not IT) I asked about firmware 2.0,but got no reply (in fact I've had no replies to any questions I've asked). So I downloaded the update,unzipped it and all it contained was the recoding tool. If I could find the e-mail address of Bon-Joon Koo (VP) I'd tell him to sort out LG's support.
I only managed to scan the Verbatim as the Traxdata failed. The Verbatim had totally green sectors. As for disc info the verbatim is by Moser Baer and the Traxdata by Ritek. Although I hear what your saying about them being produced by a third party.

Wither-
It doesn't matter what speed I use. I think 16x is the slowest it'll go-but I'll check that.
The log I originally uploaded is the latest,so I've not been reluctant to post them,more reluctant to burn anything. I only have 2 Verbatim and 1 Traxdata Left,but I'm expecting a delivery tomorrow of some JVC/Taiyo Yuden discs.
I think I've got a RW lying around somewhere. I'll find it out,burn some audio and post the log. That will be a bit later tonight.

+Quote Post
Steve909
post May 20 2012, 06:33 PM
Post #14

Wither-
The RW I have is a DVD.
As I've 100 discs on the way I didn't mind using up the last 3 on some test burns.
The Traxdata failed on 90% at 16x. The first Verbatim was successful at 16x. the second Verbatim I tried at 48x and the actual burn speed was 22.2x. But that failed.
My question is, (not to you,more to LG) if it had happily been burning at 48x (irrespective of what the actual burn speed was) for 20 months,why should it suddenly stop?
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Log__T_.txt ( 18.08K ) Number of downloads: 132
Attached File  Log__V_.txt ( 17.13K ) Number of downloads: 147
Attached File  Log__V_48x_.txt ( 18.09K ) Number of downloads: 141

+Quote Post
wither
post May 21 2012, 03:18 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

All three burns show invalid ATIP data on the discs which controls how the drive burns (lineary velocity, etc.). The two failed burns show "track following" errors which would be related to this, especially if the burn speed is too high. It's very possible that the optical drive is going south, as Jens-f suggested, or the problem is the discs themselve. You should get a better idea when you get the new discs.

I noticed in the logs that it couldn't find the version for Winaspi32.dll. That's strange because it wasn't included in XP. However, if I'm interpretting correctly, it used the NT-SPTI which is a Microsoft replacement for Winaspi.

+Quote Post
Steve909
post May 21 2012, 11:53 PM
Post #16

Wither-
New discs arrived today. I tried a benchmark test and after a few seconds I got the "timeout on logical unit (O43EO2)" or (043E02) error message come up. So I tried another disc. This started at 21x,then about halfway through the same message. Any idea what that is? Maybe Taiyo Yuden are too good for LG or they're fakes. Very deep blue surface though,so I doubt it.

This post has been edited by Steve909: May 22 2012, 12:24 AM

+Quote Post
wither
post May 22 2012, 03:05 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Were you discs made in Taiwan or India? I've heard that the ones from India aren't very good.

I'm still torn between the drive, the discs and possibly your power supply. Since you've changed discs, I recommend that you try another optical drive.

The timeout appears to be related to a drive controller (possibly a jmicron) on the motherboard but I couldn't find a decent explanation.

I have two LG drives and both are made by Hitachi. I had a problem with one of them and contacted LG. We went back and forth many times and they finally said the drive was defective. Of course, it is out of warranty.

+Quote Post
Steve909
post May 22 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #18

The discs are made in Japan. JVC and Taiyo Yuden have teamed up.
I searched the web for hours last night trying to find an answer to the timeout.
Apparently it's a sense code and should be 4/3E/02. 4 is the sense key 3E is the ASC assignment and 02 is the ASCQ assignment (although I don't know what they are). Basically the drive is telling the program there's something wrong-but what?
From what I can gather the way to resolve it is to either get a new drive or clean the lens. So I found out an old lens cleaner,put it through a couple of times and then tried a benchmark test. This time (using one of the discs that failed yesterday) it went through ok.
Start Speed:21.42x End Speed:48.29 Average:36.56 Type:CAV
Although I'm not convinced that all it needed was a clean. But I'll try burning later and report back.

+Quote Post
wither
post May 22 2012, 04:31 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

From what I can find, the 4 refers to a hardware error and the 3E/02 means "logical unit timeout". The 3E appears to be "logical unit not self configured yet". It's all pointing at the drive, in some way or the other.

I'm hoping the lens cleaning works. Usually that would result in a power calibration error but I didn't see one in the log.

+Quote Post
Steve909
post May 22 2012, 11:50 PM
Post #20

I didn't really think the cleaning would do anything. The cd player for my hi-fi has never had it's lenses cleaned and it works perfectly...and I've had that since 1999!
First burn was @ 16x. It worked. Second burn I put it up to 48x. The simulation went through ok but the burn failed 50% of the way through. The drive had got up to 35x by then.
LG still say it's the discs,or the burn speed or the pc or the cables.
I reckon I'll end up buying a new one or a cd player that's mp3 compatible.
I've uploaded the log for the fail but I doubt it says anything new.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Log__TY_48x_.txt ( 21.82K ) Number of downloads: 156

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed Topic