Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> How many Incremental backups
Hec51
post Apr 11 2012, 12:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,913,544

I use Nero Back it up from Nero 10 suite. I use Incremental as my back up type. When I start a new back up it will do a full back up first. I just want to know how many Incremental back ups will it do before it does another full backup. I would like to know ahead of time for planning. Is there a set number of Incremental backups it does? How do I manage this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 11 2012, 03:17 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

An incremental backup will only do one full backup- the first backup.

There is no limit on the number of incremental backups. You will need all the incremental backups to do a complete restore.

Does this help?

+Quote Post
Hec51
post Apr 11 2012, 01:47 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (wither @ Apr 11 2012, 03:17 AM) *
An incremental backup will only do one full backup- the first backup.

There is no limit on the number of incremental backups. You will need all the incremental backups to do a complete restore.

Does this help?

I understand that I will need all incremental backups to restore. However when I am using Nero back it up I notice that after so many incremental backups it will default to starting over with a complete full incremental backup. I am now stuck without notice to wait for the full backup to finish, which I have 80 gigs of documents and several hours of backup time. I only want to know when does this happen? How many times so I can plan ahead. Also after this I have 2 full backups and all previous incremental backs and now I am running out of space.

+Quote Post
adrianob2
post Apr 11 2012, 04:11 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: MVP
Member No.: 8,151,484

Nero BackItUp does a full backup when start the DST. But this is not a new starting point. It continue to make Full Backups, till you starts a new backup or maybe till the DST changes again.
Apart this, wither is absolutly right.

Adriano

+Quote Post
Hec51
post Apr 11 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (adrianob2 @ Apr 11 2012, 04:11 PM) *
Nero BackItUp does a full backup when start the DST. But this is not a new starting point. It continue to make Full Backups, till you starts a new backup or maybe till the DST changes again.
Apart this, wither is absolutly right.

Adriano

DST? I don't understand. What is DST? Are you saying Nero will do full backup when day light savings time changes? If that is the case then Nero will continue to make incremental backups for 6 months? Or until I do a new backup? Will it do a full backup at random? Is there not a setting to tell Nero when to start over with a new full backup?

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 12 2012, 03:15 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

It won't do a random full backup and there's no setting to tell it to do so.

Daylight savings time will cause a full backup unless Nero AG has done something in an update to Backitup since the last time we discussed it. In addition, if you clicked on the backup job and selected "run now", it would do a full backup and all subsequent incremental backups would be based on that backup.

+Quote Post
Hec51
post Apr 12 2012, 01:09 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (wither @ Apr 12 2012, 03:15 AM) *
It won't do a random full backup and there's no setting to tell it to do so.

Daylight savings time will cause a full backup unless Nero AG has done something in an update to Backitup since the last time we discussed it. In addition, if you clicked on the backup job and selected "run now", it would do a full backup and all subsequent incremental backups would be based on that backup.

Thanks, this answers my question.

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 12 2012, 03:29 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Great. I'm glad we could help.

+Quote Post