2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
> Backup Impossible- Verification Failed Error
bobsoriginal
post Mar 16 2012, 02:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,664,626

Since I've purchased Nero 8, for the life of me, I've never got any of the backup to work, probably due to my lack of understanding the concepts and jargon. Should be easier. Instructions riddled with acronyms and technical mysteries - impossible to understand. I've got .nda files from some kind of backup I did recently, in anticipation of a software problem, which turned out to be real. I don't know what nda files are or what kind of backup it was. I just want my restoration but how?

I have opened up Back It Up's Restore and hit the verification button. Verification failed! Am I wasting my time again here? Why had Nero told me that the backup had been successful, when it wasn't? Do I go onward through the fog and attempt to do restoration and risk losing my operating system for lack of understanding any of the problems associated with simple backups? Why would Nero have given me a successful backup prompt when these verification errors occur? I want my files back. Nero skunked me.

I've got .nda files from a backup of some kind in Nero's Bacitup 3. Nero made me make a bootable disk from whatever kind of a backup this was. I now have a boot disk but have no idea what I'm to do next. Verification failure? Should even proceed with trying to restore something that may do more harm than good? What next? Reboot with this disc?

I've never used a boot disk before. Give me a clue here please!! Further, if I used this boot disc, what is going to happen to my XP Pro sp2 OS? I have a Lenovo laptop. OEMs don't give you copies of the XP software- You must know that. Will this restoration attempt with boot disc reformat my hard drive? I do not know. See my fear? Will I need to reformat the hd to get an nda files w/ the verification problems? Is restoration of the questionable files from the verify failures even going to work? Will I be wasting even more time? Will this restore my operating system or will I have to reinstall windows? Kill me now. So much confusion! No wonder Microsoft is rich. So much useless information.
So much for the rant. Seems hopeless trying to understand. Any help or advise is welcome here. Probably won't get a reply but THANKS.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 16 2012, 04:03 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Well gee- after all that, should I help? :)

You made a drive backup. The only way to restore it in v8 is to use the bootable disc.

Start your computer and put the disc in the drive before windows starts loading and restart.

It will boot into Linux and you will then be able to restore your drive backup. If the backup you made was of a corrupt operating system, you should restore it to a different partition or another drive that has enough space.

+Quote Post
bobsoriginal
post Mar 16 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #3

So the file verification failure is meaningless and I should proceed? I really didn't want to try something with failure written all over it. I'm not familiar with how a boot disc works or for that matter, how a Linux system looks. Any clues on what to do to complete that task? Screenshots or anything that would guide me... Thanks for the input.

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 16 2012, 04:51 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Since you're restoring your operating system, you can't do it from Windows which is running when using v8. That's why it boots into Linux.

The Backitup manual is here- http://www.nero.com/enu/support.html#step%...2%3Btrigger%3A4 Note that it will take a few minutes to download.

Look at sections 12.2 and 12.3.

+Quote Post
bobsoriginal
post Mar 16 2012, 06:16 PM
Post #5

I'm still afraid of the approach, due to variables of what kind of backup I have here. The manual you linked to is better than the one I had. Thanks for the link...somewhat better but still vague on some questions.

I'm not sure what the "image" restoration is or that is what I had used for my backup. That said, if these are the wrong instructions for my type of backup (no idea), then I'd be in trouble...again. I think I understand how to sequence the cd bootable disk to deploy with a restart. However, the backup resides on a usb storage device (1Tb size) and I don't know, without an operating system, if that would be accessible in the scenario described in the manual instructions. Specifically, is a .nda file an image file or could it be some other kind of backup file? I don't recall doing an image backup. And will the usb storage device cause problems?

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 16 2012, 06:34 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

The .nda is not an image file. It is a file containing your files that were backed up using compression. I don't have time right now to review the sections of the manual I referenced but I don't think they apply to an image file.

+Quote Post
bobsoriginal
post Mar 16 2012, 06:52 PM
Post #7

Apparently I did a "Drive Backup" which seems to differ from an image backup. An important question for me to get an answer to: Is the actual operating system restored in the "Drive Backup" or are .nda files just basic file restorations- sans any system files? I've had system problems, not missing files so I need to find out if I'm on the right track. Lot of time spent trying to understand. I appreciate the input. Part of my issue here is approach avoidance caused from fear of losing the os from more operator errors caused by ignorance.

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 17 2012, 02:49 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I've already mentioned that you did a drive backup.

Since you backed up the entire C: partition (which I assume has the operating system), then it will include the operating system. When you do a restore using the ImageTool, the old operating system will be restored. That's why I gave you the caution about a corrupt operating system and what you should do if it was corrupt.

If it will help you any, a .nda file can be opened using a .zip program like Win RAR. However, the file names will not include all lettering and you'll have to figure out the names of the files to determine which ones you want and then rename them.

+Quote Post
bobsoriginal
post Mar 18 2012, 12:20 AM
Post #9

The problem I had foresaw was with verification failures. I don't like failure. I just had a catastrophic failure. That is why I balk at looking Nero's: verification failures. I'm still foggy on that. At this point I want to reload the software that failed on my hard drive but don't want whatever was on the system that caused my catastrophic failure, to still be around for more devilry. I wanted to go back to my system files that had been healthy. I'm not sure what caused the failures in my system but was hoping for an avenue to clean it up. Not sure if the Nero backup will get the hiccup out of my registry...or wherever it is. I haven't tried it yet. Cannot afford much more down time. Thank you for your replies wither. Wither, it must be what happens to me when I spend a lot of time at the keyboard and forget to practice yoga :-) Do appreciate you. Thanks again.

+Quote Post
adrianob2
post Mar 18 2012, 01:01 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: MVP
Member No.: 8,151,484

Hi bob,

Me too, I don't love "verification Failure", especially when they happen against my System disk. Therefore I prefere to save the C: drive using the ImageTool disc.

About your external drive: you can boot the ImageTool disk at any time. It's not destructive procedure till you don't start the restore procedure. So don't fear and give a try: you will check there if all your disc/partitions are available under Linux o.s.

Regarding O.S corruption, take a look to this post.

Salut
Adriano

+Quote Post
bobsoriginal
post Mar 18 2012, 02:59 AM
Post #11

Well, hindsight. I've only got the one "Drive Backup" to use. I don't understand what a verification failure error means. I've got a boot disc. Not willing to use it. It's certainly a frustration after I let the backup go all night and thought I was safe. Nero prompted me that backup had been successful. Really? Success is verification failures? I don't understand. Not willing to undergo the torture of failure to reload the drive and possibly wiping my files, with no other backup available. The instructions do not make any sense at all. Same with most of these backup programs. Difficult to understand. I do understand what failure means. I don't like it. All Nero has to offer me for a backup is verification failure. This isn't easy.

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 18 2012, 03:20 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

If you don't want to restore the backup, that's up to you. We've certainly answered your questions on how to do the restore.

I don't know how the verification works. If it compares what's in the backup to corresponding files on your hard drive, it probably won't work because the files are now different on your hard drive.

+Quote Post
bobsoriginal
post Mar 18 2012, 04:23 PM
Post #13

Big risk to attempt a backup and lose the os, due to ignorance of what verification failure is. Does anyone know? Comparable files on existing hard drive vs backup? Doesn't make sense to me. Neither did the Nero declaration that backup was successful...This will have to be a last resort. Very uncomfortable with it.

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 18 2012, 09:21 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

The only people who know for sure (I didn't look at the help file), is tech support. You can contact them by the chat line tomorrow (GMT Berlin) or e-mail.

+Quote Post
bobsoriginal
post Mar 19 2012, 04:31 PM
Post #15

Thank you for your time. I will take the problem to support, as you have suggested.

+Quote Post
wither
post Mar 19 2012, 04:54 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Please let us know what they have to say.

+Quote Post
bobsoriginal
post Apr 7 2012, 09:53 PM
Post #17

Backup with Nero is not possible for me. Why can't anyone write a book or a simple tutorial on how to do a backup? Digital loss is real and prevelant because people cannot understand the jargon or explanations of this task This should be easy. Far from easy. Just look at this long-winded dialog! I finally got a reply from tech support in language that was incomprehensible- at least to me. I don't think the support guy really knows anything but he's going through the motions. As requested here's the dialog:

I apologize for the delay in my response to your query. Having said that,
well, let us attempt to make the thing clear.
I understand from your different posting and requests on this issue, that you have been trying to restore a drive backup. Some useful suggestions have been made to you on using the imagetool by restoring your drive backup. You certainly have tried what was said and suggested, apparently without success. Anyway,
What you didn´t report or sent to us (support team) is the step by step description on how you have proceeded and at which point it just failed or you stuck.
1) Does the attempt to use the backup disc point any readable error message out? if yes, what is the content of that error message? Are you using the first or the last disc to start restoring?
2) Answering to your question, by restoring, your current running system on the drive will be replaced by the original system you backuped previously.
3) I also noticed that you were very careful on the idea using Imagetool to restore your backup drive. You shoudn´t, since there is nothing to fear regarding linux system part starting with.
4) Boot your PC in DOS-Mode in order to be able to restore a drive backup.
Please use therefore the first disc of the created backup.
Ensure that you have set your Bios boot sequence correctly (The CD/DVD drive in which you insert the first Backup-disc has to be the first boot device).

While booting your system you will get the options below:

1.) Boot with the maximum available virtual memory (in this case your PC will only load the most important and essential drivers)
2.) Boot with all available drivers from the disc

We suggest to select the first option otherwise it could cause problems during the restore process.
Afterwards the user-interface of Nrestore will be loaded.
You will now see the connected drives (e.g. CD-/DVD-ROM drives and partitions. Floppy drives won't be shown.)

Now you have to select the physical hard disc drive (“HDD”) on which you want to restore the backup.

Possibility 1: Restore of a complete HDD:

If you have created a back up of a complete HDD you could just select a HDD and start the backup (You don’t get any other options in this case)
E.G. you can just press the “Enter”-button several times and you will be led through the restore process automatically.

Possibility 2: Restore of a partition

If you have created a backup of a partition you first will have to select the HDD and then the partition (or an unpartitioned area) on this HDD on which you want to restore the backup.

Please note:
The partition or the unpartitioned area you select as destination has to be at least as large as the partition you want to restore.

If your partition is too small you will have to create an appropriate unpartitioned area.

If you are restoring from DVD, you will see during the process that the progress bar runs to 100% and then begins again. This will be done for each existing DAT file on your DVD - up to seven times per DVD. (Because of FAT restrictions the DAT files can have a maximum size of 650 MB.)

5) if you have failed somewhere, please report every point to us.
Describe exactly and point by point what you have done.
make screenshots and attach them to your email so that we get more details on the issue.

I'm not satisfied with Nero at all. I thought I'd lost the os and tried and failed to restore with Nero. The explanation above is, well, can anyone understand it? Enough said. I'll try something else. Failure shouldn't be on my menu. I jumped through all the hoops. I was ignored. External hard drive was specified as the target. Ignored- referenced dvd instead! Imagetool? NO. I said drive backup! Finally throw a strikeout with the third tip...dos. Got to be kidding me. DOS? No way I'm going to take a programming course to do a backup. There's got to be a simpler way!

This post has been edited by bobsoriginal: Apr 7 2012, 10:00 PM

+Quote Post
adrianob2
post Apr 7 2012, 10:30 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: MVP
Member No.: 8,151,484

Did you prepare and use the ImageTool disk?

If you save your running system you always will have veriufication errors, because on running changes of system files (i.e. logs, error reporting, ...), then if you don't trust the backup you've just done (I think it's correct), you need to backup system disk when you boot from another media---> ImageTool disk.
You can the look at the log of process, that's saved in output directory, to see if it has been successful or not.

Regards
Adriano

+Quote Post
bobsoriginal
post Apr 7 2012, 11:06 PM
Post #19

Running system errors...validation failures...I recall seeing that reference somewhere. Image tool? No idea what that means. I did a drive backup with a boot disk and then tried to restore the system and I got nothing....no errors- nothing. The interface did absolutely NOTHING. It sat there and looked bleak without any kind of process ever taking place. My panic at losing the os was only magnified by the nothingness. Nero support didn't get that. Guys speak in tongues I don't understand. Like DOS. The Nero program didn't respond- why should I have to use DOS? I set-up the boot disk and got a dumb interface that did nothing at all. Nero says: duh...

+Quote Post
wither
post Apr 8 2012, 05:12 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

They're asking for additional information. I don't know what they asked you to do previously so we're getting into the middle of it. You could always go back and ask for clarification. There are ways of getting a dos command box in Vista and Win 7 but I don't know what good it would do you.

Which version of Nero are you using?

How did you create the bootable disc? This is usually done from Backitup using the ImageTool selection. When you create that disk, it's in Linux and contains the ImageTool. It has to use Linux because you can't restore operating procedure files to a system that has Windows running (there are some exceptions).

If you created the disc as I described, when you boot with the disc installed, it should eventually get to the ImageTool interface where you select your backup.

I'm assuming you created your backup using that type of disc and you backed up to DVD's. In that case, the ImageTool would be on the first DVD of the backup and you would use that for booting in place of the bootable disc. I think that's what tech support is saying above. However, I think you could also use the bootable disc and be able to select the actual backup discs.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed Topic