Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Media Library Folders Empty
ralphchrisdavis
post Feb 25 2012, 12:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,615,268

I am trying the latest version of Nero MediaHome. Setting it up was simple enough. I see my pictures and my music folders under All Media on the Media Library tab. However under the Music, Photos, Videos and Collections folders there are no files with the exception of the By Folder sub-folder. All of the other folders such as All Music, By Album, By Artist, By Genra, All Photos, By Album, By Date, etc. are empty. These same folders appear empty when being viewed from a connected TV set. How do files get put into these folders? I thought that Nero would have attempted to automatically organize these. Is there a way I can populate these folders manually?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 25 2012, 04:03 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Did you include these folders when you set up sharing?

+Quote Post
ralphchrisdavis
post Feb 25 2012, 08:11 PM
Post #3

The only folders I added are the two that contain my music folders and my picture folders. They appear under the By Folder. All of the other folders I mentioned in the first post do not exist on the hard drive. They appear to be virtual folders created by Nero. These empty folders also show up on my TV. If I can't find a way to populate them with my files then the next best thing would be to get rid of them. Does anyone know how to remove these? I also noticed that even after a couple of days that the Status bar on the Local Folders screen is blank. Shouldn't this indicate the indexing status?

This post has been edited by ralphchrisdavis: Feb 25 2012, 08:45 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 26 2012, 03:49 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

I just reread what you said in your first post. Those folders are the sorting options. Until you sort your files by one of those descriptions, I guess they will always be empty.

I had once, a couple of years ago, installed NMHome and found it to be too invasive. I don't need it so I uninstalled it. If it wasn't for that, i'd reinstall it to work with you on it.

+Quote Post
ralphchrisdavis
post Feb 26 2012, 05:41 PM
Post #5

I am curious what you mean by “until you sort your files”? Is there an option I missed in MediaHome for file sorting? The files are already sorted in my PC’s folders, but that doesn’t seem to make any difference..

The main reason I need MediaHome is for transcoding purposes. Many of my music files and video files are not natively playable on my TV. MediaHome transcodes their format and bit rates on the fly enabling me to play them on my TV.

Is there possibly a better solution to my needs than MediaHome?

[size="3"][/size]

This post has been edited by ralphchrisdavis: Feb 26 2012, 05:41 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 26 2012, 06:15 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

From the help file-

The Media Library tab gives an overview of the already installed files. Nero MediaHome arranges the files in a clear navigation tree such as video or photos. Here the files are further sorted into subcategories such as the music according to artists, album or genre. The same file, for instance, will be sorted both under the name of a well known artist such as Mozart as under the genre Classics Audio, video and picture files can be defined for sharing on the Local Folders tab. In addition, you can see how many files have already been indexed and the status of the indexing process. Final sharing will take place with the server start.

That implies that NMHome sorts automatically. I wonder if the indexing is complete?

Are you using the full version or an Essentials version?

+Quote Post
ralphchrisdavis
post Feb 28 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #7

Hello,

I did not know there were two versions. The software is Nero MediaHome 4. It should be the latest Trail version. The file name is Nero_MediaHome-4.5.8.0_trial.exe. I let it run several days and still did not see any files show up in the various category folders. However I did see a couple of files show up in those folders after viewing them on my TV. Also the Status section on the Local Folders Share screen has always been blank. What is supposed to appear there?

+Quote Post
wither
post Feb 29 2012, 04:03 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

An Essentials version is more or less a bare bones version which doesn't contain all the features of a purchased version. They normally come with a purchased TV.

The Local Folders is just a means of accessing all the folders so you can identify which ones you want to share. (I assume you did that). The folders you chose will show up in the list of shared folders.

I'm pressing my luck with respect to this program since i don't have it installed. Most of what I can tell you is from the help file. You can do that yourself.

I suggest you talk with tech support for all the thorny details.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic