Start new topic
> Converting MKV to avi
arnie798
post Dec 10 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,872,871

Has anyone converted a mkv movie file to a avi file?? :blink:
Could you please tell me what kind of quality I can expect :rolleyes: .

I am asking this question before I buy the program.
I have Nero 10 Multimedia Suite Platinum HD, and I am very happy with it, but I have been trying to find something that will convert mkv and still have good quality.
Maybe I am wishing for the impossible, that's why I am asking, I have yet to find anything. :(

Thank You
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Dec 11 2011, 04:15 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

I really don't understand the fascination that people have with the .avi. It is nothing but a container and the video and audio within can be anything. Unless Nero or another program has a set format for the .avi that's significantly different than what's in the .mkv which is also a container, I would expect the quality to be the same. So, the first thing to do is to find out what the video format is in the .mkv using mediainfo or gSpot and then determine the appropriate output format.

So what's the video format of your media.

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Dec 11 2011, 12:04 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: MVP
Member No.: 69,291

Well, that's a matter of compatibility. Although both container formats can contain of the same codecs, mkv isn't supported by many players. AVIs are in wide use since the beginning of DivX and XviD. So I can understand, why someone wants to convert mkv to avi.

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Dec 11 2011, 01:52 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8,784,165

One problem: avi is a much more "simple" container-format as mkv - that mean: Many things that are supported by mkv.
MKV support menus, different audio-tracjs, subtitles and so.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska
for details.

+Quote Post
arnie798
post Dec 11 2011, 02:18 PM
Post #5

I understand most of this, but all I want to do is play the movie on my big screen tv with good quality. Mkv would be fine if my player would play it. :unsure:

+Quote Post
wither
post Dec 11 2011, 05:01 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

The other points are well taken. I knew I would catch a little flak over my question.

My point is- why burn to any container format? I would just recode it to mpeg-4 and burn it to DVD-Video. I'm assuming you're using a standard DVD player. If you're using a blu-ray player, you could burn an AVCHD DVD or a blu-ray video and the quality would be commensurate with the original, assuming the original has a higher resolution than 720x. As I mentioned, it would be good to know the actual format and resolution of the original using MediaInfo.

+Quote Post
arnie798
post Dec 12 2011, 01:05 AM
Post #7

Point well taken. Which brings me back too. Has any one recoded a mkv using this new nero, if so what was the quality compared to the quality of the mkv they recoded??

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Dec 12 2011, 11:16 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member
Group Icon

There is no definite answer to your question. If your MKV contains H.264 video, you can't expect the AVI to have the same quality as the MKV. Nero uses the MPEG-4 ASP codec, which is far less efficient than the H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC). That means, that you have to set the output to a higher bitrate to achieve the same picture quality. This results in a bigger file.

Tested that with an mp4 file in 720p (both made with the latest Nero Recode version) and transcoded it to an AVI file with nearly the same bitrate. For your info: It doesn't matter if the file is mp4 or mkv, because those are only containers. Both can have H.264 video and AAC audio. So I will show you the results of encoding to AVI in the following links.

Input file: MP4
Resolution: 1280x720
Video-codec: H.264 (Main profile 3.1, variable bitrate @ about 5300 kbps)
Audio-codec: LC-AAC (stereo, variable bitrate 128 kbps, 44.1 KHz)
Link: http://hotfile.com/dl/137309621/b598ee1/TH...g_Life.mp4.html

Output file: AVI
Resolution: 1280x720
Video-codec: MPEG-4 ASP (Level 5, variable bitrate @ about 5400 kbps)
Audio-codec: MP3 (stereo, konstant bitrate 128 kbps, 44.1 KHz)
Link: http://hotfile.com/dl/137309154/6fabdc7/TH...g_Life.avi.html

+Quote Post
wither
post Dec 12 2011, 04:26 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

However, you can specify the .h264/AVC in the Edit Profile section if you select mpeg-4.

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Dec 12 2011, 04:59 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member
Group Icon

But not when you choose the AVI profile! ;) There's only MPEG-4 ASP possible.

+Quote Post
arnie798
post Dec 12 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #11

Mister_M & wither,

I think I understand now? Regardless of how the mkv movie looks (playing it with a mkv player) if the quality of the file in the container is not there, your recode will look like crap.
Am I right in thinking this?? Or did I miss something else?

Thank You Mister_M & wither

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Dec 12 2011, 05:13 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member
Group Icon

That's right. The output quality can only be as good as the source material.

+Quote Post
wither
post Dec 13 2011, 03:51 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I said earlier-

"Unless Nero or another program has a set format for the .avi that's significantly different than what's in the .mkv which is also a container, I would expect the quality to be the same. So, the first thing to do is to find out what the video format is in the .mkv using mediainfo or gSpot and then determine the appropriate output format."

I didn't realize that Nero used the ASP for .avi so it could be even more important to know what's in the .mkv if you want to maintain the same quality. On the other hand, a person might not notice the difference between h.264 and ASP.

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Dec 13 2011, 01:16 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member
Group Icon

I totally agree. Especially if it's an SD video, the quality difference can be quite small sometimes. Most differences can be recognized in the file size. H.264 can offer the same picture quality like MPEG-4 ASP at a far less file size, especially when having HD resolution.

Disadvantage MP4/MKV: Those files are only supported on newer hardware bluray players. Older DVD players don't accept them. But AVI (DivX, XviD, MJPEG) in SD-resolution is often supported by those players.

For my smartphone I prefer MP4 with H.264 and AAC to save space. When I want to watch a full HD movie with that smartphone over it's HDMI-output, I use AVI (DivX or XviD) with Dolby Digital (AC-3) to get surround sound when connecting to an A/V receiver. (Haven't tested AAC 5.1 yet...)

So there are advantages and disadvantages on both formats.

And yes, codec info of the source file (mkv) would be fine. ;)

+Quote Post
wither
post Dec 13 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I don't use any of that stuff. If I wasn't in the forum, I wouldn't know anything about this stuff. That's why it's good to have you and hg-dude in here for help on the video (and other things).

I've asked at least twice what the characteristics of the mkv contents are but he apparently doesn't want to mention them. That's okay. Hopefully, we've answered his question.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic