Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> What is exporting...
LtTony
post Oct 27 2011, 09:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,405,842

...and how is it different than just burning a compilation (a "movie") to a dvd disk or a hard drive folder? What is the purpose(s) of exporting?

-------------------------

I have Nero 6 (and XP). Have rarely used it, so I am totally inexperienced in this. I don't see the difference in "exporting" the movie to C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\NeroVision\ExportedVideo\NVEExport.0001.mpg as opposed to "make DVD with Edited Movie" and putting it in a folder on the hard drive. The quality seems to be about the same; I don't recall what settings I used for each.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Oct 27 2011, 09:38 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,466,818

Hi LtTony,

It will actually depend on what you want to do with your video files.

If you write the edited movie to your hard drive, you will create a Video DVD structure. The idea of this option, is that you can then create a Video DVD out of these files, and play it on external players, without need to transcode the files again. The Standard Video DVD structure includes all files needed for the disc to be playable on external DVD players (Video_TS folder with iso, bup and vob files).

If you select "Export" you will not create a Video DVD structure, but export and save your movie in the desired video format (mpeg-2, avi, mpeg-4, wmv, etc, etc). Nero 6 is pretty limited in the options offered to export your video as a video file, as it is an old version. If you take a look at Nero 11 you will find a lot more possibilities to export your video files to.

Best regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post
LtTony
post Oct 27 2011, 10:07 AM
Post #3

Thanks for the fast reply.

I noticed that when I combined several clips to create one movie, I didn't get one big clip but like three VTS (.vob ? ) files. As opposed to the large single clip in the exported folder (.mpg file).
You mentioned the exported file isn't in dvd format. But DVD was among the template choices, and I chose it.

Questions...

1. So "export" is just another way of saying "convert"? To mpeg, avi or other video formats lower in quality than dvd files?

2. I went to "Make a movie" and opened/added that big, single exported (mpg) file. Are you saying that using that file will result in a lower quality dvd than using the .vob files movie that is stored in the HD folder? Didn't look any different. (Clips came from a stand alone dvd recorder in 4-hour mode off conventional TV.)

3. Why are the dvd format "movies" I create always split, even when I combine several clips?

+Quote Post
wither
post Oct 27 2011, 04:24 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

VTS files are restricted to 1 Gb in size so you may see several if the project is larger that 1 Gb.

1. Yes and no. It won't create a file that is lower in quality.

2. No. If you started with a video that had a resolution greater than 720x.., and burned to a DVD-Video, it might suffer some loss of quality because DVD-Video is limited to 720x.. In order to burn a video DVD, the project has to be authored into the DVD-Video format that Infohelp described. So, if you create a project in Vision and then burn it directly to disc or to your hard drive, it will automatically create the DVD-Video structure. If you tried to burn the exported file to DVD-Video in Burning Rom or Express, it wouldn't work.

3. I didn't look at the v6 help file, but I'll assume Make Movie is like later versions up to v9. In Make Movie, select More. There should be a checkbox for snapping all items on the Timeline together.

+Quote Post
LtTony
post Oct 29 2011, 01:47 AM
Post #5

1. Then I guess I don't see the purpose of it. Infohelp wrote, "The idea of this option, is that you can then create a Video DVD out of these files, and play it on external players, without need to transcode the files again." Why not just save the project?
I always just select "Make a movie" and burn it to a disc which have operated in every external player they were put in: I have never exported anything, so I don't understand the "without the need to transcode the files again." Are you saying burning an exported movie to a disc takes less time than opening a project and burning? If that's the case, then I guess I understand.

2. "So, if you create a project in Vision and then burn it directly to disc or to your hard drive, it will automatically create the DVD-Video structure. If you tried to burn the exported file to DVD-Video in Burning Rom or Express, it wouldn't work"
I looked up Nero Burning ROM on wiki. Never seen that program on my computer. Programs>Nero>Nero Digital or Nero Media Player or Nero OEM, and other folders, plus Nero SmartStart. I see NeroVision and Nero Express, but not Burning ROM. Frankly, to a hacker like me, this is all appears more complex than it has to be (i.e. maybe there are programs that will be easier for me than Nero).

3. "There should be a checkbox for snapping all items on the Timeline together."
I'll look for that. Like I said, these combined clips movies all play seamlessly. But the "movies" I have saved to the HD are those approx. 1G files. I have no idea what the file structure looks like on the discs. I am making a movie now; the checkbox is selected (by default).

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me.

This post has been edited by LtTony: Oct 29 2011, 02:47 AM

+Quote Post
wither
post Oct 29 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I'm not sure what your comment in regards to using another program means.

DVD-Video is a standard and has specifications. What we've told you in regards to creating a DVD-Video applies no matter what program you use.

Your initial question simply asked what exporting means.

Do you have the full version of v6 or is it a OEM version? The capabilities of an OEM version vary depending on what the OEM specified. I would be surprised if Burning Rom wasn't included since it's the original Nero program. I've attached a screen shot of what you should see if you click on Data in StartSmart.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Oct 31 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Hi LtTony,

ZITAT
1. Then I guess I don't see the purpose of it. Infohelp wrote, "The idea of this option, is that you can then create a Video DVD out of these files, and play it on external players, without need to transcode the files again." Why not just save the project?

Please note that a *nvc is a project and not the actual video file. A project file (*.nvc) saves the project data – information about file paths and layout – after you have started work on your project. This means that you can interrupt your work at any time and resume the project at a later point or burn it on disc. The contents of a project file can only be opened with Nero Vision. The file size of a saved compilation is significantly smaller than a disc image. This means that the original video files that you use for the project have to stay in the same folder for Nero to be able to locate it. If you move or erase a video file from the folder were it was when you created the project, Nero Vision will not find it, and won´t be able to add it to the project. If you write the project to your hard drive, the Video DVD will be created on your hard disc completely new, and the video files will be present in the written files.

ZITAT
2. "So, if you create a project in Vision and then burn it directly to disc or to your hard drive, it will automatically create the DVD-Video structure. If you tried to burn the exported file to DVD-Video in Burning Rom or Express, it wouldn't work"
I looked up Nero Burning ROM on wiki. Never seen that program on my computer. Programs>Nero>Nero Digital or Nero Media Player or Nero OEM, and other folders, plus Nero SmartStart. I see NeroVision and Nero Express, but not Burning ROM. Frankly, to a hacker like me, this is all appears more complex than it has to be (i.e. maybe there are programs that will be easier for me than Nero).

You can burn the Video DVD folder with Nero Express too, but you will not be able to burn avi, mpeg2, mpeg-4 files to a Video DVD using this application.

Regarding Nero Burning Rom, the reason why you do not see in on your computer, if becuase you have purchased an OEM/Essentials version of Nero that does not contain all the features of the retail version.
Please note that the recorder manufacturers, who bundle their hardware with Nero software, decide which of its features will be implemented in the Nero OEM/Essentials version. Your OEM/Essentials version is therefore limited in its capability.

To be able to use all the features of the full version, you will need an upgrade serial number. In this case you should purchase Nero 11. Nero 6 is a very old and discontinued product of Nero.

ZITAT
3. "There should be a checkbox for snapping all items on the Timeline together."
I'll look for that. Like I said, these combined clips movies all play seamlessly. But the "movies" I have saved to the HD are those approx. 1G files. I have no idea what the file structure looks like on the discs. I am making a movie now; the checkbox is selected (by default)

If you create a Video DVD, for it to be played on an external player, it needs to have the structure that Nero Vision creates, the vob files. The limit for vob files is 1GB, so Nero will create a VIdeo DVD with as many vob files as needed dependently on your project.
The standard is not a Nero standard, but the standard for Video DVD.

Best regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post
LtTony
post Nov 1 2011, 10:50 PM
Post #8

2. You can burn the Video DVD folder with Nero Express too, but you will not be able to burn avi, mpeg2, mpeg-4 files to a Video DVD using this application.

I have no idea what this means, how it relates to my question.

Regarding OEM......

Yes that is the version I have, v6.6 or something. I will consider upgrading. But first.... and this may be related to the OEM thing....

I am presently attempting to export. Selected DVD template, High Quality, 2 pass. Output file: MPEG-2, NTSC.

1. Is this going to be DVD quality that will play in a DVD player?

I ask because the file being created has a .mpg extension.
I looked at the other template options besides. The Nero Recode had mpeg4. I thought this was the dvd quality mpeg. I tried the selct that, but the application wouldn't let me, mentioning something about a license issue. I assume this OEM version version doesn't have mpeg4. Not sure the significance of that. Why should I want mpeg4? Is it because it is the dvd quality mpeg? I've never really understood what Nero Recode is useful for to a beginner like me.

+Quote Post
wither
post Nov 2 2011, 04:08 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

You need a patent activation to work with mpeg-4 and you have to pay for it. Since you have a free version, you wouldn't be provided the option to activate the patent.

In regards to item 2, Infohelp is basically restating what I said. To burn a DVD-Video, you have to create the DVD-Video structure which will consist of a bunch of files in a single folder. Until you do that, you can't burn a DVD-Video in Express or Burning Rom. Those apps require that you import the DVD-Video folder before burning.

The mpg extension can mean any flavor of mpeg including 1, 2 and 4 and their variations. The settings you chose, will be fine.

+Quote Post
LtTony
post Nov 3 2011, 09:17 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Infohelp @ Oct 31 2011, 12:43 PM) *
Please note that a *nvc is a project and not the actual video file. A project file (*.nvc) saves the project data – information about file paths and layout – after you have started work on your project. This means that you can interrupt your work at any time and resume the project at a later point or burn it on disc.

Ahhh. That aspect never occurred to me.

The file size of a saved compilation is significantly smaller than a disc image.

Glad you mentioned disc image. I should have included it when I brought up all the ways to store a movie on the computer. Never considered the size of a disc image.

This means that the original video files that you use for the project have to stay in the same folder for Nero to be able to locate it.

Learned that the hard way.

2. You can burn the Video DVD folder with Nero Express too, but you will not be able to burn avi, mpeg2, mpeg-4 files to a Video DVD using this application.

Right. They have to be converted to a DVD video structure (.vob files) first. Correct?

I clued myself in on mpeg2 and mpeg4 here: http://www.differencebetween.net/technolog...peg2-and-mpeg4/

Regarding Nero Burning Rom, the reason why you do not see in on your computer, if becuase you have purchased an OEM/Essentials version of Nero that does not contain all the features of the retail version.
Please note that the recorder manufacturers, who bundle their hardware with Nero software, decide which of its features will be implemented in the Nero OEM/Essentials version. Your OEM/Essentials version is therefore limited in its capability.

Understood.

The limit for vob files is 1GB, so Nero will create a VIdeo DVD with as many vob files as needed dependently on your project. The standard is not a Nero standard, but the standard for Video DVD.

Another ah-hah moment. Thanks

QUOTE (wither @ Oct 29 2011, 04:38 PM) *
Your initial question simply asked what exporting means.

Yeah. I'm using the opportunity to learn a few other things. You've been very helpful and patient.

Do you have the full version of v6 or is it a OEM version? The capabilities of an OEM version vary depending on what the OEM specified. I would be surprised if Burning Rom wasn't included since it's the original Nero program. I've attached a screen shot of what you should see if you click on Data in StartSmart.

As noted above, I apparently have an OEM version. I'm not at home now, but I'm reasonably certain Data in SmartStart doesn't have UDF capability.

QUOTE (wither @ Nov 2 2011, 04:08 AM) *
You need a patent activation to work with mpeg-4 and you have to pay for it. Since you have a free version, you wouldn't be provided the option to activate the patent.

That's what I thought. Based on the link above, I don't anticipate a need for mpeg4 and I don't understand the necessity or advantage of Nero Digital format for me at this time.

The mpg extension can mean any flavor of mpeg including 1, 2 and 4 and their variations. The settings you chose, will be fine.

The settings being: DVD template, High Quality, 2 pass. Output file: MPEG-2, NTSC.

I exported that to a hard drive folder. The size indicates it is the best quality of my source video, but as I now understand I can't burn that to a disc that will play in external DVD players. Correct? Even though I chose "DVD template"?

Side question: can that movie I exported to a hard drive folder be converted, authored or whatever to a DVD file structure (.vob) so that it can be burned to a disc for external player use?

This post has been edited by LtTony: Nov 3 2011, 09:23 AM

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Nov 3 2011, 12:02 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Hi LtTony,

ZITAT

Right. They have to be converted to a DVD video structure (.vob files) first. Correct?

I clued myself in on mpeg2 and mpeg4 here: http://www.differencebetween.net/technolog...peg2-and-mpeg4/

Yes, to Vob files. This can be done with Nero Vision, when you create a Video DVD project and write it to your hard drive.

ZITAT

That's what I thought. Based on the link above, I don't anticipate a need for mpeg4 and I don't understand the necessity or advantage of Nero Digital format for me at this time.

If you have an OEM version, the patent activation won´t help in this case. Nero 6 OEM versions do not support mpeg-4 formats. We used to sell a plugin in this case, but this was a long time ago. mpeg-4 Plugins for Nero 6 version are no longer avaiable. If you want to have the possiblity to export to mpeg-4 (Nero Digital) you will need to upgrade to Nero 11.

ZITAT

The settings being: DVD template, High Quality, 2 pass. Output file: MPEG-2, NTSC.

I exported that to a hard drive folder. The size indicates it is the best quality of my source video, but as I now understand I can't burn that to a disc that will play in external DVD players. Correct? Even though I chose "DVD template"?

Side question: can that movie I exported to a hard drive folder be converted, authored or whatever to a DVD file structure (.vob) so that it can be burned to a disc for external player use?

Correct. Only if your DVD player supports mpeg-2 formats.

Second question, yes, simply burn the movie with Nero Vision to a DVD. Nero Vision will convert the mpeg-2 files into Vob files.

Best regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post
LtTony
post Nov 3 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #12

Thanks, info. I started a thread on another question.

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Nov 4 2011, 10:25 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

You are welcome!

+Quote Post

Closed Topic