Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> startsmart.exe
karjak
post Jun 19 2008, 07:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,326,836

I have installed Nero 8 Ultra on my computer and want to install on my 2nd computer, but after the entire install process when I click StartSmart it says StartSmart.exe has encountered a problem and needs to shut down. I have uninstalled & reinstalled 3 times and get this every time. Am I limited to one install of this product for which I paid over $100??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
binkie7
post Jun 20 2008, 01:52 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: MVP
Member No.: 7,203,570

Yes you are limited to one install like most software.

+Quote Post
karjak
post Jun 20 2008, 04:29 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (binkie7 @ Jun 20 2008, 01:52 AM) *
Yes you are limited to one install like most software.

Are you kidding me? I have other software which I have put into each new computer without problems. That cannot be true.

+Quote Post
binkie7
post Jun 20 2008, 04:47 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Read the eula's on them - you'd be surprised what you may find :) Most paid software limit you to one install. Now whether they enforce it or not it is another story. Nero's Eula - link
Snippet from the eula - This Agreement permits you to use one copy of the Software acquired with this license on any single computer, provided the Software is in use on only one computer at any given time.

Usually Nero will check for activation when you try and use a part of the software that Nero pays a 3rd party for - like the encoder in Recode or Vision.
You problem though sounds more like a bad install.

+Quote Post
karjak
post Jun 20 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (binkie7 @ Jun 20 2008, 04:47 AM) *
Read the eula's on them - you'd be surprised what you may find :) Most paid software limit you to one install. Now whether they enforce it or not it is another story. Nero's Eula - link
Snippet from the eula - This Agreement permits you to use one copy of the Software acquired with this license on any single computer, provided the Software is in use on only one computer at any given time.

Usually Nero will check for activation when you try and use a part of the software that Nero pays a 3rd party for - like the encoder in Recode or Vision.
You problem though sounds more like a bad install.

OK - I checked the eula link and obviously what you quoted was right there. Does this mean I can't install Nero onto a new computer for my own use? What if I'm not online when I install (my 2nd computer is not online) will there be something "built-in" that detects it? I think I'd better email Nero and see what I can do. Thanks for the input

+Quote Post
binkie7
post Jun 20 2008, 07:56 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Not a problem. You're best bet would be to check with Nero.

+Quote Post
karjak
post Jun 21 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (binkie7 @ Jun 20 2008, 07:56 PM) *
Not a problem. You're best bet would be to check with Nero.

Right. I've emailed them and await a reply.

+Quote Post
Rhino67
post Jun 21 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,295,230

I'm new to this forum.

I bought Nero 8 a month ago. I installed it for the main purpose of watching DVD's.

Some DVD's it will play automatically and others it always says drive is not ready and won't play them.

I've also tried to get all the Updates for Nero 8 and it always gives me an error like (can't find application paths). I used the
recomended folder when I installed Nero 8 and don't understand what is happening.

I can't get updates for Nero 8 and I can't watch 60% of the DVD's I rent.
I'm frustrated after paying 100$ for this software. I expect this kind of performance from a cheap $25 download DVD player.

Can anyone help ?........My computer XP 64 bit processor

+Quote Post
binkie7
post Jun 22 2008, 01:07 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

@Rhino67
Try a clean install of Nero. Uninstall Nero using the clean tool. Reboot then install the latest version of Nero.

Have you tried playing the dvd's that give Nero a problem with another player like wmp or vlc? Any problems w/ those?

+Quote Post
Rhino67
post Jun 22 2008, 02:46 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,295,230

QUOTE (binkie7 @ Jun 22 2008, 01:07 AM) *
@Rhino67
Try a clean install of Nero. Uninstall Nero using the clean tool. Reboot then install the latest version of Nero.

Have you tried playing the dvd's that give Nero a problem with another player like wmp or vlc? Any problems w/ those?

I've tried reinstalling Nero 8. It didn't do any good. I'll try the Clean Tool and do it again.

My DVD drive sometimes doesn't even pull up a menu telling me what's on the disk. I can only play using Nero if it pops up with
that menu which I have an option of trying WMP or others.

It maybe my DVD disk player is corrupted...but sometimes it works with other DVD.s OK

+Quote Post
binkie7
post Jun 22 2008, 04:19 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

It sounds like it is your disc drive. How old is it? Which movies does it happen on? Some newer dvd's that are heavy on the latest copy protection give some drives a problem - the disc will just spin or won't be recognized. Check the back of the discs too for smudges, dirt etc and clean them off with something soft if needed. Pretty scratched up discs can also give drives a problem.

The clean install will hopefully take care of your installation issue.

+Quote Post
Arturox
post Jun 28 2008, 03:46 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 7,980,129

QUOTE (' date='Jun 20 2008, 07:30 PM) *
OK - I checked the eula link and obviously what you quoted was right there. Does this mean I can't install Nero onto a new computer for my own use? What if I'm not online when I install (my 2nd computer is not online) will there be something "built-in" that detects it? I think I'd better email Nero and see what I can do. Thanks for the input

Whoops! That got posted blank...
What I intended to say was:
Some software vendors permit the install on a desktop computer and additionally one Laptop, for obvious reasons.

Dave S

This post has been edited by Arturox: Jun 28 2008, 04:08 PM

+Quote Post
Luvmylab
post Jul 5 2008, 05:44 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 7,297,301

QUOTE (' date='Jun 19 2008, 07:43 PM) *
I have installed Nero 8 Ultra on my computer and want to install on my 2nd computer, but after the entire install process when I click StartSmart it says StartSmart.exe has encountered a problem and needs to shut down. I have uninstalled & reinstalled 3 times and get this every time. Am I limited to one install of this product for which I paid over $100??

+Quote Post

Closed Topic