IPB

Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Nero Kwik Media says Non Licenced Use!!!
coolchris
post Oct 10 2011, 05:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,200,264

..........but it is Licenced. I tried inputing the serial number again and told it was already stored on the PC..yep I know that!! How the heck do I get Nero Kwik Media to realise that it already is serialed and activated!!...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jens-f
post Oct 10 2011, 06:56 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8,784,165

QUOTE (coolchris @ Oct 10 2011, 05:54 PM) *
..........but it is Licenced. I tried inputing the serial number again and told it was already stored on the PC..yep I know that!! How the heck do I get Nero Kwik Media to realise that it already is serialed and activated!!...

This normally means that there is a problem with one of the serials you have stored on your system.

You should contact techsupport and let them check your serials.

Where have you bought your serials?

+Quote Post
MyJoes
post Oct 11 2011, 01:58 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,290,183

Am I missing something here.

I have downloaded and installed Nero 11 Trial version. At the end of the installation a KWIK Media desktop icon is displayed on my desktop

I also have what I believe an up to date version of Nero 10 installed.

Accessing Nero 11 Control Center there is no reference to Kwik Media, but shows that I have a DEMO version of Nero 11

Selecting the Kwik Media icon that is present on my desktop and the program opens.

Accessing the Nero 10 Control Center, displays that Kwik Media is present for Nero 10.

Before installing Nero 11 Trial, I moved all icons for Nero 10 into a folder, opening this folder and selecting the link for the KWIK Media, I get a display notifying me there is a 'Problem with Shortcut' this display states that 'This action is only valid for products that are currently installed'

So do I have Nero 11 Kwik Media installed or Nero 10 Kwik Media installed.

Checking the contents of the Nero folder found in \program files\, the folder for Kwik Media has the same date as that for Nero 11. Thus my assumption, would be that Nero 10 Kwik Media has been replaced by Nero 11 Kwik Media.

Opening Kwik Media from my desktop and selecting the 'Help' icon and then viewing 'About the Kwik Media program' just shows it is KWIK MEDIA. The only indication that it appears to have anything to do with Nero 11 is that it is copyrighted in 2011.

Another user has pointed out that 'Kwik Media' can be accessed via Nero 10 SmartStart Applications menu. Trying this and yes Kwik Media does open but the information from the Help facility seems to indicate that it is the same program as that for Nero 11.

This post has been edited by MyJoes: Oct 11 2011, 02:03 AM

+Quote Post
wilter
post Oct 11 2011, 03:51 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,184,686

I was that other user. I believe I mentioned in that post that Kwik Media has it's own folder and is used by both v10 and v11. There's no reason to have two different versions of Kwik Media.

+Quote Post
coolchris
post Oct 11 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,200,264

That particular problem has been solved by going into the registry and deleting the old keys that did not show up in the control centre. I now have other problems with the damn thing crashing with a faulting dll all the time. Jeeez.

+Quote Post
MyJoes
post Oct 12 2011, 01:10 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wilter @ Oct 11 2011, 03:51 AM) *
I was that other user. I believe I mentioned in that post that Kwik Media has it's own folder and is used by both v10 and v11. There's no reason to have two different versions of Kwik Media.

So what you are saying is that Nero 10 & 11 of Kwik Media are the same. That is Nero 11 Kwik Media functions in conjunction with Nero 10, which has been confirmed by accessing Kwik Media from Nero 10 StartSmart.

Thus at the end of the TRIAL period and I remove Nero 11 and leave the Kwik Media installed by Nero 11 it should not affect the functionality of Nero 10.

Surely this contradicts the claim that a user can have a side by side installation of Nero versions, that being Nero 10 & 11 share the same Kwik Media routine.

So what are the advantages of upgrading to Nero 11, whether it is the basic Nero 11 or the Platinum version.

After thought, does KWIK Media function in conjunction with Nero routines and if so would these possible links within Kwik Media, which at present link into Nero 11 routines, they would effectively be incorrect with those for Nero 10.

coolchris

OK, you have found a workaround to cure your serial number problem. This now brings me back to your original situation, by accessing the Registry and making the change will it mean that Nero 10 will effectively become non-licensed.

-------------------------------------

Been browsing the FORUM and from the information contained in Nero 11 Release Notes it would seem that Kwik Media has been enhanced so when I remove Nero 11 at the end of the Trail period, it would seem that I could be left with corrupt version of KWIK MEDIA and thus have to reinstall Nero 10 along with its updates.

By the way I am unable to source any information about what changes have been made to Nero 10 since its release. If anyone has any info about this I would appreciate a link.

This post has been edited by MyJoes: Oct 12 2011, 02:18 AM

+Quote Post
wilter
post Oct 12 2011, 02:20 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Yes, KM is the same for both versions. There is only one KM on a system with v10 and v11. I had the trial version of v11 installed and uninstalled it and KM was stil there for v10.

+Quote Post
MyJoes
post Oct 13 2011, 02:07 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

wilter

I have confirmed you statement regarding Nero 11 removal and yes KM is still accessible from Nero 10 StartSmart, but is it Nero 10 version or that of Nero 11. Also the Nero 10 link in my Nero Desktop folder for Kwik Media still produces an Error display stating it is only applicable for installed program

Looking at the directory structure, after the removal of Nero 11, they are dated the day I installed the Trial version of Nero 11.

Going to Add/Remove facility it would appear that I am unable to remove Kwik Media as it is not listed.

If I wish to return my PC to its original state, I do not believe I can overlay Nero 10 Kwik Media by selecting this facility during the Nero 10 installation process as the installer possibly will inform me that a later version of Kwik Media is installed

So how do I get out of this situation!!!!!.

Will I be INFRINGING the T & C for either Nero 10 or Nero 11

+Quote Post
wilter
post Oct 13 2011, 02:54 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

If you do an update of v10, you will find that KM is a mandatory update. I assume that installs the same version of KM as in v11. Since there is only one KM installed, it has to be compatible with both. Unfortunately, our tech support has not been in the forum for a long time. If I get time, I'll talk to the chat about it tomorrow.

Right now I can't update v10. I get a fatal installation error from either core components or control center. sending an e-mail to tech support.

+Quote Post
MyJoes
post Oct 18 2011, 03:17 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

wilter

It is a number of days since your last input regarding this query and as I previously quoted I found after installing the 'Trail' version of Nero 11 and prompted by your reply, there were many updates for Nero 10.

I just selected to update my version of Nero 10, possibly unaware, that Nero 10 & Nero 11 shared the same Kwik Media folder. So if there where any updates for KWIK Media I would assume that these are now part of the Nero 11 installed version of the routine

This now brings me back to a query I originally made about Kwik Media, is it a mixture of Nero 10 & Nero 11 facilities.

I believe it has already been established, at least by myself, that Kwik Media can not be uninstalled via ADD/REMOVE for it to be reinstalled by Nero 10, which I believe has the facility to REPAIR Nero 10. But will this repair/replace the Nero 11 parts of Kwik Media

Also, I believe, you have confirmed that with the absence of Nero 11 Vision (Nero Video), Kwik Media has a problem.

This post has been edited by MyJoes: Oct 18 2011, 03:22 AM

+Quote Post
wilter
post Oct 18 2011, 03:22 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

When I chatted with tech support, they confirmed that KM is the same for v10 and v11. However, they also said if you uninstalled v11, it would uninstall KM. Not true and, as you mentioned, you get the problem with accessing Vision from KM. I think I mentioned how you can fix that.

I haven't heard back from them in regards to my e-mail.

Wither

This post has been edited by wilter: Oct 18 2011, 03:23 PM

+Quote Post
MyJoes
post Oct 22 2011, 07:47 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

wilter

I am utterly confused over the KM situation. It seems that it depends on what is installed on a PC.

This is an assumption, yet to be confirmed, If Nero 10 is present then and Nero 11 'TRAIL' is installed and then removed KM stays instaled. From your comments I believe you have confirmed this.

But if another version is installed it may be possible to uninstalled Nero 11 'Trail' along with KM.

+Quote Post
wilter
post Oct 22 2011, 03:31 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I uninstalled v10 yesterday to chase my update problem (I think I solved it). It didn't remove KM. I then tried to uninstall v11 and I got a BSOD right in the middle of it so I had a mess. I've done a system restore and am uninstalling v10 again and, hopefully, will be able to uninstall v11 and see if it removes KM. Nope, uninstalling v11 did not uninstall KM. But note that KM isn't shown either in my Control Panel or Registry as installed.

This post has been edited by wilter: Oct 22 2011, 04:34 PM

+Quote Post
Brendana
post Oct 22 2011, 11:55 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 8,972,092

QUOTE (coolchris @ Oct 10 2011, 05:54 PM) *

I have exactly the same problem,is this some kind of scam to upgrade to 11 which I did, and have the exact same trouble.Can ANYBODY help it's driving me insane!

+Quote Post
wilter
post Oct 23 2011, 02:42 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

There is no scam. you should have posted your problem before upgrading. coolchris found that there was some problems with serial numbers in the registry.

look at HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Nero\WOW6432node\Shared\Nero11 or Nero 10. Are there any serial numbers which are incorrect?

wither

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Oct 23 2011, 11:11 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,905,902

Following this thread I am coming to the result that KM delivered with Nero 11 is not compatible with its last Version in Nero 10. That's the reason that a deinstallation of KM delivered with Nero 11 e.g. leaves a corrupted KM environment in Nero 10.

Also there are some changes in the Version of KM in Nero 11 against that of Nero 10, which make it impossible to update Nero 10 to the current KM version previous to the side-by-side installation of Nero 11. Furthermore I am assuming that after uninstalling KM in Nero 10 some components of KM are remaining installed because they are supporting functionality in other applications of the Nero environment.

So I think (if you want a side-by-side installation) there is only one way solving this problem, - deinstalling both (Nero 10 and 11), cleaning environment and registry from all Nero components and start installing again with a Nero 10 (MediaHub-)Version previous to KM.

This post has been edited by hg-dude: Oct 23 2011, 02:10 PM

+Quote Post
wilter
post Oct 23 2011, 04:28 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

You mentioned the update problem which I am working with tech support on for my Vista system.

If I try to update v11 with v10 installed on this system, I get a Fatal error message. I've tracked it down to the dolbyfiles10 entry in the registry. Deleting that solves the problem.

However, if I uninstall v11 and v10 and try to reinstall v10, I have to delete high-definition video playback in the registry. Then I have to uninstall Kwik Media (I'm starting from 10.6.113). Since Windows doesn't show KM as installed in the Control Panel, I had to delete it piecemeal from the registry. Then the installation proceeds. However, then I can't update v10. I'm chasing that today.

Tech support is aware of some v10-v11 side by side problems.

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Oct 23 2011, 04:51 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,905,902

Many thanks wilter for your information. So I am waiting furthermore until these problems are solved. I have Vista too and I think there will be the same problems you had.

I hate such installation "adventures" I had with former versions too. I don't like spending a lot of time with experimenting (installing, uninstalling, registry cleaning etc.) until I can work with Nero.

What I don't understand is, why are such problems not discovered during the beta tests ? Not only functionality should be tested, installation procedures and workflow (new installation, update, upgrade, side-by-side with older versions) on the different OS should be tested too. And last but not least, installation packages should not be released until all problems are solved. That's the normal way I know from my former profession as system engineer.

This post has been edited by hg-dude: Oct 23 2011, 05:34 PM

+Quote Post
wilter
post Oct 24 2011, 04:26 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Hg-dude- Note that I had v10 installed along with v11 on my Vista machine and all was fine. I didn't update v10 to the latest after July because I didn't like the change in the screen settings needed on my Win 7 machine to completely see certain Vision dialogue boxes. The problems started when I finally decided to update. I've got v10 platinum installed finally but I'm getting an error message when I try to install the Creative Packs. Of course, Microsoft had issued many updates in the three month interim before the last update and the newer attempt. They've got my sleep mode screwed up by one of their updates and I haven't had time to chase it.

I don't have any problems updating my Win 7 machine for either v10 or v11.

+Quote Post

Closed Topic