Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Error when trying to open wave output device
gregiore
post Jul 16 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,825,675

I've seen other topics similar to this but I'm not able to find the resolution to my situation after reading them.

After opening the WE app and selecting record, I select the sample rate of 44 100 Hz and a bit depth of 16 and stereo recording Yes; after selecting ok I get the error message: An error occurred while trying to open the wave output device.

I had been using this app to record some music from old cassettes without any problem several weeks ago and then this situation suddenly started. I can only assume some setting got inadvertantly changed since then.

I can hear the music source I'm trying to record playing through my PC speakers. My OS is XP.

Thanks for any help.

Gregiore

This post has been edited by gregiore: Jul 16 2011, 03:06 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Jul 16 2011, 05:11 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

Did you know that SoundTrax has a wizard for recording LP's and Cassettes?

Go to Sounds in Control Panel and make sure the device you're trying to use is activated.

What is your operating system and which specific update to Nero are you using (Nero Control Center\Update\Burning Rom for versions prior to V10). For V10, just run the check for updates to make sure you're up to date.

+Quote Post
gregiore
post Jul 16 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,825,675

Clarification on what I'm wanting to accomplish:

I can record audio coming into my PC from the line-in jack just fine. I cannot record audio that is playing on the internet thru the browser.

Options/Device Settings/Input device options are just MME: (wave mapper) and MME: Line-in. There is not option to select the sound card or speakers - which are set as the default sound device.

I'm running W7 64. Nero online indicates there are no updates available. My WaveEditor is version 5.6.10600.2.100

+Quote Post
wither
post Jul 17 2011, 03:19 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Your WaveEditor is not up to date. The current version is 5.10.....

Go to the Control Center\Update and run the "Check for Updates".

+Quote Post
vic46
post Jul 17 2011, 05:29 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,986,489

Hi

Looks like stereo mix is not enabled if the only options available are wave mapper and line in.

vic

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Jul 18 2011, 06:02 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,466,818

Hi gregiore,

If you want to record from a cassette or an LP, the LineIn is ok. The LineIn option available will be the LineIn input device from your soundcard.

What happens if you select the LineIn input line?

Best regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post
wither
post Jul 19 2011, 03:09 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Infohelp- he mentioned in the middle of this thread that he is trying to stream audio coming from the Internet through his browser.

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Jul 19 2011, 01:39 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Sorry, you are right! Thank you for the correction.

I read this and missed the middle part :(

I had been using this app to record some music from old cassettes without any problem several weeks ago and then this situation suddenly started.

What it is not clear is if he uses XP or Windows 7.

In the first posting he wrote:

I can hear the music source I'm trying to record playing through my PC speakers. My OS is XP.
In the second on:

I'm running W7 64. Nero online indicates there are no updates available. My WaveEditor is version 5.6.10600.2.100

According to his description, I imagine that he is runnig Windows 7.

The procedure for recording audio streams depends on the operating system, and the soundcard needs to support this feature, so please always make sure that you have the latest drivers for your soundcard installed on your system.

Please proceed as follows to record audio streams:

Windows XP:

- Open Nero WaveEditor or Nero SoundTrax.
- Click the "Options" -> "Device Settings" entries in the menu bar.
- Select your sound card in the "Input device" drop-down menu and confirm with "OK".
- Click the "Audio" -> "Record" entries in the menu bar to open the "Recording Console".
- Select the desired sample format and confirm with "OK".
- Go to "Audio Input Line" and select the "Stereomix", "WaveMix" or "What you hear" option from your sound card (not all sound cards offer these functions).
- Now you should be able to record audio streams.

Windows Vista/Windows 7:

- Open Nero WaveEditor or Nero SoundTrax.
- Now click the "Options" -> "Device Settings" entries in the menu bar.
- Go to "Input Device" and select the "Stereomix", "WaveMix" or "What you hear" option from your sound card and confirm with "OK".
- Click "Audio" -> "Record" to open the "Recording Console".

Please note that you should usually be able to select the "Stereomix", "Wavemix" or "What you hear" option in the "Input Devices" drop-down list so that you can record a stream. If this option is not displayed then it might be deactivated by default.
To activate it, proceed as follows:

Open the Control Panel (in "Classic View" mode).
Double-click the "Sound" icon.
Click the "Recording" tab.
Here you can see the currently activated devices.
Right-click in the field to open the context menu. Select "Show Disabled Devices".

Now the list should allow you to select the "Stereo Mix", "Wave Mix" or "What You Hear" option. Select the disabled option and right-click on it to select "Enable".

Now open Nero WaveEditor or Nero SoundTrax and select the option as input device in "Options" -> "Device Settings".

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post
wither
post Jul 19 2011, 04:04 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

This can be a real can of worms for people like me who are pretty illiterate about sound devices.

On my Vista machine, I have four choices for input device and 8 choices for output devices in WaveEditor. Which combination to use is a crap shoot. In Sounds, I have my speakers set as the default for Playback but two other options are working. In Recording, I have the Realtek HD audio set as default and the Stereomix is shown as working. I managed to make a recording but the sound levels are so low that I can't hear anything during playback in WE although the frequencies are showing in the Console.

My Win 7 machine has multiple choices like that but not near as many.

What I don't like is- when you are finally ready to record and hit the Record button, if you hit okay, it stops the process. In other words, leave the dialogue box open until you're done recording. Not very intuitive.

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Jul 20 2011, 09:34 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Hi wither,

Since Windows 7 has been released, I ´ve heard from several users that options such as "StereoMix", "What you hear" or "WaveMix" are no longer available. In most cases, options are seen again if these are enabled as I indicated before. In other cases, the options are not present at all. Nero Wave Editor and Soundtrax will only display what is enabled in the Windows Control Panel. Windows XP and Windows Vista/Windows 7 display the input/output devices within Windows in a different way, this is why Wave Editor and Soundtrax also display them differently. If these options are no longer available, and cannot be enabled at all, then either the soundcard doesn´t support this feature or there are drivers missing. In some cases, it might happen that the soundcard doesn´t support this feature under a Windows 7 or Vista system at all, or that the actual drivers for the new OS need to be installed. In such cases, the best thing to do is to contact the soundcard manufacturer directly. They will confirm the user is the feature is available for his/her soundcard under each operating system and provide him/her with the latest drivers.

Regarding your last comment, you are right, this "OK" button can lead to misunderstanding. Unfortunately there are no plans to change this behavior in the meantime.

Best regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post
wither
post Jul 20 2011, 03:27 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

I'm heading to the golf course but just wanted to mention that I don't have a sound card and the mobo drivers are up to date. I'll post some screen shots later to show you what kind of options I have in Vista.

Forget the screen shots. The snipping tool causes the selection box to close.

This post has been edited by wither: Jul 21 2011, 02:55 AM

+Quote Post

Closed Topic