2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
> Flac files with Nero 9?
Eelectrica
post Oct 22 2008, 12:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,307,316

Whats the story with Nero 9 and Flac files?

When I try to create an audio CD out of flac files all I get is this error message: It may be possible, that the files can be added, if a dedicated plug-in is installed.

Flac appears on the list of valid file formats. I've also downloaded some plugins, and dropped them into this folder - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\AudioPlugins

Also I ran the nero clean tool and installed the latest nero 9.09.4c

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nofireman
post Nov 4 2008, 06:28 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,182,698

Had the same problem. Tried to start with nero express instead of the lunatic "start smart". And it worked - without any plugins, clean tools and all the rest of it. With kind regards, nofireman

+Quote Post
k-g-b
post Nov 6 2008, 06:20 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,310,185

QUOTE (Eelectrica @ Oct 22 2008, 12:35 PM) *
When I try to create an audio CD out of flac files all I get is this error message: It may be possible, that the files can be added, if a dedicated plug-in is installed.

I am also getting this message when trying to burn an Audio CDs of Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV which I download from NIN as FLAC.

I have had success burning an Audio CD from the FLAC files of The Inevitable Rise and Fall of Niggy Tardust by Saul Williams, tested in CD player and everything sounds great.

I have tried on both Vista x64 and XP Home and the same thing happens so can rule out vista x64 issues.

My install is a clean install of Nero 9 and I have not messed with plugins given that Nero 9 supports FLAC (and many others) out of the box.

I have run the NIN FLAC files through FLAC Frontend and they test OK and decode to WMA so any ideas why Nero cannot handle them?

+Quote Post
Voices73
post Nov 9 2008, 09:10 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,310,670

I'm using Nero Express in Nero 9 and my cd's have skips or blank spots in them but when using Nero 8 with the old Flac Plugin (the way I had it) everything is fine?

Why did I pay more to not be able to burn Flac? You are supposed to be Flac compatible. I just downloaded your latest version today and still have the same problem. Wasted 10 cd's.

Fix this ASAP please or where do I go for a refund? It's a simple plugin that works with every other version. I don't understand how you screwed it up. Download it from someone else and make that a part of your Nero 9 instead of bloating our asses with crap.

For anyone else reading this, Nero 8 is fantastic for flac.

Clean out the Nero 9 crap, re-install Nero 8 and download the flac plugin for it. You just have to use Nero Express to burn.

Download the plugin from here..... You'll love it

Copy or drag the .dll file to this...........C://Common Files/Ahead/Audio Plugins

Bob's your F'ing uncle.

Somehow Nero couldn't figure that out.

This post has been edited by Voices73: Nov 9 2008, 10:54 AM

+Quote Post
nofireman
post Nov 10 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,182,698

ZITAT(Voices73 @ Nov 9 2008, 09:10 AM) *
Download the plugin from here..... You'll love it

Copy or drag the .dll file to this...........C://Common Files/Ahead/Audio Plugins

Hi Voices73,

as far as I can tell the legendary MauSau flac.dll worked fine with Nero 5, 6 and 7 - I really loved it! But I wasn't able to start it with Nero 8 ...

With Nero 9 I'm happy I can burn flac files out of the box at long last (using Nero Express or Burning Rom).

By the way, the path "C://Common Files/Ahead/Audio Plugins" doesn't exist anymore. Now it's "C:\Program files\Nero\Nero9\Nero Burning ROM\AudioPluginMgr", "C:\Program files\Nero\Nero9\Nero Express\AudioPluginMgr" and "C:\Program files\Nero\Nero9\Nero StartSmart\AudioPluginMgr".

Would like to learn more ...

+Quote Post
robert50321
post Nov 15 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,184,666

Doesn't work. Nero 9.0.9.4 does not recognize flac files. If you try, you get the usual error "it may be possibe that the files can be added if a dedicated plug in is added.". Was nero 9.x supposed to support flac out of the box? if so, there is something wrong out there.

Robert

+Quote Post
Voices73
post Nov 16 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,310,670

QUOTE (nofireman @ Nov 10 2008, 10:19 PM) *
Hi Voices73,

as far as I can tell the legendary MauSau flac.dll worked fine with Nero 5, 6 and 7 - I really loved it! But I wasn't able to start it with Nero 8 ...

With Nero 9 I'm happy I can burn flac files out of the box at long last (using Nero Express or Burning Rom).

By the way, the path "C://Common Files/Ahead/Audio Plugins" doesn't exist anymore. Now it's "C:\Program files\Nero\Nero9\Nero Burning ROM\AudioPluginMgr", "C:\Program files\Nero\Nero9\Nero Express\AudioPluginMgr" and "C:\Program files\Nero\Nero9\Nero StartSmart\AudioPluginMgr".

Would like to learn more ...

Hello, Nofireman

I'm aware of using the Nero Express with Nero 9 but have you listened to what's actually on your cd when you're done? Songs that lead into eachother have a little click sound as the next song starts almost as if it were MP3. Flac files should be lossless, that blip makes them sound like they're not.

I have no idea why Nero 8 didn't work for you with Flac. It's working great for me right now.

It just bothers me that I can download a plugin that works better with Nero 8 than what Nero supplies with their Nero 9.

+Quote Post
skromnibog
post Nov 19 2008, 11:18 AM
Post #8

Group: Nero Employee
Member No.: 427,670

@Voices73: What is configuration of your system (CPU, memory, HDD, ammount of free memory)?
@robert50321,Eelectrica: What application did you try use to burn from FLAC files? Did you use default or custom install of Nero? Do you have one or more APM_NeFlac.dll in your Nero 9 installation and where are they located? Do you have one or more of these: NeESParser.ax and NeAudio2.ax and where are they located?

+Quote Post
skromnibog
post Nov 27 2008, 03:34 PM
Post #9

There is definitely a problem when opening some FLAC files and albums from NIN are an example for this.
This will be fixed as soon as possible.

+Quote Post
Eelectrica
post Nov 28 2008, 10:29 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,307,316

Skromnibog,

The Flac files I used came from the Metallica Live download site.

And too your previous question, I have several copies of all those file mentioned.

A couple of locations:

C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 9\Nero Express\SMC

C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 9\Nero Burning ROM\SMC

I usually simply use nero express for burning. I really hate the full Nero interface.

Looking forward to having this problem fixed.

+Quote Post
skromnibog
post Dec 11 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #11

Problem is found and fixed. But will not make it to the next release, because that one is expected to be soon and is in final release phase.
My apologies to you all, but you'll have to wait for the update, that will come later, to get correct playback and decoding of FLAC files.

+Quote Post
mjsprof
post Dec 23 2008, 07:26 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 418,131

It's encouraging that Nero AG recognizes that FLAC functionality does not work in the new release. I look forward to its restoration.

Please don't neglect to re-enable ripping to FLAC from within Nero.  This is another functionality lost in the 'upgrade' from Nero 8 to 9.  You have also removed the possibility of "User defined" tags when ripping from CD to hard drive.  Many of us who  move our classical music CD collections to our hard drives or servers--and use FLAC because it is lossless--find the pre-defined formats unhelpful. The otherwise helpful Gracenote enhancement for tagging files is useless to me unless I can use it to rip my CDs to FLAC. 

For those who wish to burn standard audio CDs from FLAC (or mp3/4) files, I suggest using foobar 2000, and its CD burning plug-in.  It requires Nero and works very well with it.  (Available here  http://www.foobar2000.org/?page=Download ) The burning process is far, far easier than in either of Nero's modes, express or burning ROM.  With the CD's files  in the play panel, just  right click, to Convert menu then "write Audio CD" .  One can also easily convert to/from the standard audio file formats from within Foobar

It's really rather irritating to spend money for an upgrade and find that one **loses** some functionality. 

+Quote Post
flacoff
post Apr 8 2009, 02:51 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 8,444,095

I have a fix!

I just downloaded the latest Nero 9 trial, and too was shocked that FLAC wasn't working properly. There are no errors reported - files import, but don't playback in Burning Rom properly (silence with the time counter going all over the place), and burning stalls/barely progresses.

But the obvious fix works, although quite why I have to fix it myself 4 months after Nero know about it I don't know:

In C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 9\Nero Burning ROM\AudioPluginMgr delete whichever Nero plugin (beginning APM) you want to replace.

Copy into the same folder the replacement plugin as found here http://neroplugins.afterdawn.com/

Sort it out Nero!

And while you're at it, take a leaf out of Norton's book for how to transform your software and restore your reputation.

+Quote Post
MSP-burner
post Apr 13 2009, 10:09 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 8,446,068

Same with me. Just purchased Nero 9 after succesfull use of Nero 7, with FLAC. Tried to burn audio CD from flac files, got error message. My opinion is that Nero SHOULD fix this ASAP. loosing functionality after paying money for an upgrade is not the ideal thing !!

Tried the fix from last post (flacoff) and it works, but is still is a workaround.

Regards,

+Quote Post
KLNBKEITH
post Jun 7 2009, 03:07 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 8,462,440

I purchased and installed Nero 9 yesterday and had the same issues with Nero not recognizing flac files. I installed the flac plug-in and was able to burn the flac files; however, the playback of the disc has gaps between tracks...despite the fact that I always burn disc-at-once. Very disappointed that I paid for this and am now going to find a freeware program to do the job correctly.

+Quote Post
angusoh
post Jun 9 2009, 02:13 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 8,463,286

One more in the list of complaints. Have also tried to burn FLAC files without converting them before and it didn't work. Since I am new to burnin with Nero I thought I was just to stupid but now it seems that others have similar problems. Thanks a bunch for the researach and the link, flacoff. I will download and install the plugin and come back to you as soon as I've tried to burn again.

+Quote Post
RZipper9
post Jun 23 2009, 06:21 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 8,467,045

I was getting this error while use Nero 9.0.4.9 only on very large flac files.
Updated to the latest Nero 9 (9.4.13.2) and the problem went away.
Pretty simple solution. Nero 9 is working fine for me.

+Quote Post
Daveman88
post Sep 5 2009, 03:49 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 8,521,506

I am having a problem trying to burn FLAC files to a MP3 jukebox Disc. When I try to add the files to the disk I get the warning:

"Some of the files you tried to add are not supported audio files. These files were not added."

I am runnig 9.4.11.6 - but I'll try the 4.13 update!

This post has been edited by Daveman88: Sep 5 2009, 03:49 AM

+Quote Post
Daveman88
post Sep 5 2009, 04:15 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 8,521,506

Nope, I now have the update and it will not add FLAC files to A Jukebox Disk.

Nero Express says it is not a supported format.

+Quote Post
Infohelp
post Sep 7 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Group: Nero Support Employee
Member No.: 8,466,818

Hi all,

Flac files are supported by Nero 9. Here some information that will help you:

1) Flac files are supported when creating "Audio CDs" and not when creating a "Jukebox disc". When creating Jukebox disc, you can only use WMA, MP3, or Nero Digital Audio files.

2) You should be able to add flac files to a "Nero Express"/"Nero Burning ROM" - "Audio CD Compilation". If you receive an error message that you need a plugin, it is because this specific flac file is not supported by Nero 9. You don´t need a plugin in this case, and the message displayed is wrong. This will be fixed in one of our next updates. In this case, the problem is probably related to the flac files having ID3 tags before the flac identification. This is not allowed by the standard, so in this case the file will not recognize it as flac file by Nero. We are already working on a solution to this problem that will be implemented in one of our future updates.

I could reproduce this problem here, but as I said before, only with flac files having ID3 tags before the flac identification.

3) If this is not your case, then I please contact Nero TechSupport and send them a test file to reproduce the problem.

Hope this info helps!

Regards,

Infohelp

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed Topic