Welcome Guest

Start new topic
> Kwik Media Library Problems
Gunslinger1948
post Sep 29 2012, 04:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,609,393

I have Kwik Media installed in successive (paid for) Nero 11 and Nero 12 Platinum, with Windows 7.

A few problems:

1. The 'play photos' option mostly does not work - just a black screen. No obvious factors why it sometimes works and sometimes does not - all photos are standard JPG files of varying sizes with (so far as I know) no unusual features.

2. The database for some reason appears unable or unwilling to pick up 'tags' from some existing pictures - again, all standard JPG files. The tags are visible and editable in Windows Explorer, Picasa and Windows Live Picture Gallery. The only possible common factor is that the tags for the missed photos (as presented in Windows Explorer) are not in alphabetical order. I do not really see why I should have to input these again manually, just for the Nero application.

3. Is there any easy way to force the database to refresh itself for some or all photos (other than removing and then adding back folders in 'options')?

4. As a nuclear option, is there an easy way to delete the entire database and force a rebuild (as with Picasa and WLPG)?

To be honest, I may not persist with KM library, given that the 'free' alternatives offer most of the functionality and seem a bit more slick and less clunky in operation.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wither
post Sep 30 2012, 04:01 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132,427

If you notice, every time that you start Kwik Media, it finds all media anew.

I can't explain the tag problem. Sounds like an issue to discuss with tech support. If you do, let us know what they have to say.

+Quote Post
platjive
post Sep 30 2012, 06:07 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,916,782

I removed all of my folders from the options tab, but when I start kwik media, it still adds thumbnails of all of my photos. I don't want kwik media to access my photos at all. How can I get this to stop?

This post has been edited by platjive: Sep 30 2012, 06:08 AM

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Sep 30 2012, 12:27 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,905,902

platjive, you can suppress scanning for media file as follows (see screenshot below)

- Enter KM, stop scanning immediately (pic. 1)
- open Options/Library, disable Include Folders ... (pic. 2)
- delete all unwanted libraries in the libraries list (pic. 2)

Attached Image

Furthermore you can (should) disable the options as shown in pic. 3 to prevent firstly uncontrolled activities of Gracenote if you are online resp. secondly the playback of the slideshow during start of KM.

Gunslinger1948, I'm assuming you have Nero 11 and 12 installed side by side. Sorry, from my experience with former versions (updates and upgrades) since Nero 10 you should never have installed different versions side by side (except Nero 7, 8 or 9). It's an absolutely nonsens (although other people are meaning, it should be possible), because conflicts, just in KM, are automatically preprogrammed, like those you have now with the tags etc. because KM are using partly folders/pathes of both versions.

Because Nero is not able to deliver a correct upgrade procedure which automatically includes a previous (customized !) environment, you have to remove Nero 11 completely (applications, folders/paths, registry entries) previous to an installation of Nero 12 and create your environment new after the new installation. When you open KM the first time you should change the options as described above as precaution to prevent uncontrolled creating of libraries.

+Quote Post
Mister_M
post Sep 30 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: MVP
Member No.: 69,291

I don't have problems using Nero 10, 11 and 12 at the same time on the same machine. I'm using them to have the opportunity to give a correct support for all those versions here in the forum. I also still use Nero Recode in Nero 10 for most cases due to some options which are still missing in Nero 12 (like quarter pixel option etc.).

So I don't really think it's nonsense to have them installed side by side in some cases. But you are right, most users won't need this. Especially when you only had Nero 11 before, there's no need for a parallel installation of 11 and 12 (12 is way better IMO).

+Quote Post
Gunslinger1948
post Sep 30 2012, 04:39 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,609,393

Thanks to those that replied.

I think I will at some point try a complete uninstall of 11 and 12 and reinstall of just 12, although I don't think that is necessarily the cause of the problems, as Kwik Media seems to operate and be updated as a separate product independently of the main Nero product line.

A couple of other points with the Kwik Media organiser:

(1) there doesn't seem to be any 'folder' view of photo files, just a timeline, faces and tags. I'm sure there was in a previous version I tried a few years ago.

(2) the ability to filter on combinations of folder and tag and to save this as a smart album, is potentially quite useful, except there unaccountably doesn't appear to be an option to include 'rating' in the search filter, eg 'all pictures 3* or greater in folder 'kids' with tag of 'party'.

(3) some tags and folders seem mysteriously to disappear from the pick list for new queries, eg if you have included them in a saved 'smart album'.

(4) it doesn't seem to cope at all where there are several folders with identical names, or indeed to have any concept of a hierarchical folder (or tag) structure

(5) the process of setting up folders and libraries for inclusion is crudely top-down, there is no facility for excluding particular sub-folders on an individual basis. You may for example have sub-folders containing previous or pristine versions of Photo files which you don't want popping up in the timeline alongside the current ones.

If anybody has answers to any of the above then great, otherwiseI suspect I will be sticking with Picasa and WLPG!!

+Quote Post
platjive
post Sep 30 2012, 04:41 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (hg-dude @ Sep 30 2012, 12:27 PM) *
platjive, you can suppress scanning for media file as follows (see screenshot below)

- Enter KM, stop scanning immediately (pic. 1)
- open Options/Library, disable Include Folders ... (pic. 2)
- delete all unwanted libraries in the libraries list (pic. 2)

Attached Image

Furthermore you can (should) disable the options as shown in pic. 3 to prevent firstly uncontrolled activities of Gracenote if you are online resp. secondly the playback of the slideshow during start of KM.

Gunslinger1948, I'm assuming you have Nero 11 and 12 installed side by side. Sorry, from my experience with former versions (updates and upgrades) since Nero 10 you should never have installed different versions side by side (except Nero 7, 8 or 9). It's an absolutely nonsens (although other people are meaning, it should be possible), because conflicts, just in KM, are automatically preprogrammed, like those you have now with the tags etc. because KM are using partly folders/pathes of both versions.

Because Nero is not able to deliver a correct upgrade procedure which automatically includes a previous (customized !) environment, you have to remove Nero 11 completely (applications, folders/paths, registry entries) previous to an installation of Nero 12 and create your environment new after the new installation. When you open KM the first time you should change the options as described above as precaution to prevent uncontrolled creating of libraries.

I have done all of that and it still generates thumbnails under "All Photos & Videos," as well as it still has the slide show upon startup.

+Quote Post
wither
post Sep 30 2012, 05:24 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Kwik Media is independent of the Nero Suite. If you have v10, v11 and or v12 installed, they all use the same version of Kwik Media. As a result, it doesn't make any sense to uninstall v11 and v12 and then install v12.

When you go to Options\Library and remove a folder, you must also click on OK to cause KM to redo its Library.

I didn't find a Folder view either.

+Quote Post
platjive
post Sep 30 2012, 08:21 PM
Post #9

I've done everything possible, and still it builds a thumbnail collection of all of my photos. It has refreshed everything except "All Photos & Videos," and "Recently Modified."

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Oct 1 2012, 02:01 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Attached Image

That's all what I get after changing the options as described above. The media files which are now shown come from the libraries contained in the list (windows standard libraries).

The Nero 12 trial is installed on my Win7 system where never Nero applications were installed before. If now on your system the tumbnails are always created new after start of KM there are data (paths) arround from a previous installation which were not completely removed after uninstalling the application. i can only suggest to uninstall Nero 12 again and clean your system completely from all nero legacies. These troubles are comming only from these side by side installations which are creating abnormal situations, - defects, which normally never should happen. Have you ever heard that you can install different versions of Windows Office (or a single application of that, e.g. Word) side by side on the same system ? No, of course, because it's impossible. Now you know, why.

BTW, in Nero 12 - and that is one of the good things of the new version-, no longer a single application can be uninstalled. Means, you have to disable e.g. KM in a custom installation if you don't want it. I only hope, that uninstalling is now also working correct and remove really all components of the application from the system.

This post has been edited by hg-dude: Oct 1 2012, 02:11 AM

+Quote Post
wither
post Oct 1 2012, 03:38 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

hg-dude- I tested before I posted so I get the same result as you do. I have no problem with v10 through v12 installed on the same system. The only link that I know of between KM and a Suite is to Nero Vision or Nero Video. If I start KM from v10, KM will link to Nero Vision. For v11 and v12, it will go to the correct version of Nero Video.

platjive- do you have the latest update to KM? It sounds like you originally had KM find your media files automatically and it's still doing that.

+Quote Post
platjive
post Oct 1 2012, 06:04 AM
Post #12

I have Nero 12. And I never let the previous versions build any kind of library. I actually uninstalled Nero 11 after upgrading to 12.

+Quote Post
hg-dude
post Oct 1 2012, 01:33 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (platjive @ Oct 1 2012, 06:04 AM) *
I have Nero 12. And I never let the previous versions build any kind of library. I actually uninstalled Nero 11 after upgrading to 12.

Sorry, as I said there must be data arround from the previous installation. What means "I never let ..." ? Because KM is starting creating the libraries immediately from the first open on, you got libraries although you may have the scanning interrupted. Did you remove them lateron ?

wither, your answer above is not helpful. Did you test under the situation platjive has, means under both versions, where different KM libraries were created, because you are not opening the same KM environment in both versions. From my view the problem can only (!) be solved by a complete uninstallation of Nero 11. Its not a problem of the KM version. Furthernore, now with Nero 12 you can not update a single application of the package as before. You have to install the complete package.

And forget side-by-side installations of different versions as an upgrade, its an absolute nonsens from the view of informatic technology. With Nero 12 it should be now finally past.

Now I have said all what I have to say. No further discussions, - point end.

This post has been edited by hg-dude: Oct 1 2012, 01:38 PM

+Quote Post
wither
post Oct 1 2012, 04:09 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

platjive- After installing v12, did you run the check for updates from the Nero ControlCenter?

By any chance is Computer or C: drive or something like that in the Library? Could you post a screen shot of your library?

+Quote Post

Closed Topic